The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1429, 1430, 1431 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject:

We should all be hoping that Dallas selects Mo Bamba at five.

If they do, you can eliminate Dallas off the list of potential suitors for Randle.

Dallas picking Bamba is the perfect domino to fall in the Lakers behalf.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject:

At least most of us would like Julius back on a below $20M deal.
Extra Pass
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Man, it's pretty dope when I know both the guys training Brandon Ingram (Micah Lancaster) now I find out Jordan Lawley is training Julius Randle.

My friends are taking over the Lakers off-season.
Jsthornton7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:

If they do, you can eliminate Dallas off the list of potential suitors for Randle.

I feel like Dallas will focus more on getting Deandre Jordan or Cousins before Randle if they don’t draft Bamba.

I also don’t see why they wouldn’t get Bamba and still go after Randle.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:35 am    Post subject:

Julius Randle working more with his jumper/balance/control

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj8kw6ZFGY9/

Randle working with Amoila like he's on a 10 Day Contract(end of video)

scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
But you tell me, how many shots will he average next year if he’s on a team with James, George, and Ingram?

Randle's roles on offense would likely be (in order):

1) Primary screen setter and roll option.
2) Fast break and opportunity scoring, lot of rebound and push.
3) Post play.

He'd be involved a lot in the pick and roll and that's going to result in him getting some easy baskets. He got 2 attempts per game as a roll man last season, and produced 1.16 points per possession. That will go up, not down. The Cavs put Love into 1.1, Thompson into 1.0, and Nance into 0.9 pick and rolls last season.

He also got over 3 shots a game on the fast break and produced 1.11 points per possession. You'd expect the Lakers to be a running team with those guys.

He also got 1.6 shots per game on putbacks last season, producing 1.25 points per possession on them.

From those numbers alone he's at over 6.5 attempts per game even if he doesn't take a single jumper, isolation, or post up. He probably winds up getting about 9-10 shots per game.

Joe Pesci wrote:
So, are we all going to act like any good player can fit with any other good player?

There's no reason to believe they wouldn't work so long as you make Randle your primary screen setter. He's effective on the pick and roll. His ability to get out and run fits well with their games. And his ability to switch and defend perimeter players on defense combined with the defensive prowess of those guys on defense combined with the length would allow them to switch everything defensively.

Very good post sir. Posts like these are why I come here. Well done.

All that being said, I’d bet the farm that he doesn’t come close to his career ten shots per game like you suggest.

There are just too many guys who need to get theres. Randle won’t be a priority.

You are automatically assuming that LeBron will continue to take 20 shot a game throughout the season. I think he won’t.

A big part of why LeBron will leave Cleveland is because he knows he can’t do it all by himself and he doesn’t want to try. I’d bet they drop LeBrons minutes in the regular season to closer to 32-33 and not the 37-39 he’s played a majority of his career.

I think they will ride Randle in the post a lot more next year and he will get plenty of shots there and in transition.

LeBron took 18 shots a game with Miami, he took 19 shots a game last year with Cleveland.

LeBron's already shown he doesn't change his game for the benefit of the team, he has the team change their game for the benefit of him, and 4 of the last 5 Finals have come at his expense with that style of play whereas the style we've been trying to adopt was the one that trounced him.

So again, I'd rather not have "LeBron ball" dilute everything that Luke has been preaching for us the last 2 seasons. But to each their own.

Of our young players/core, Randle is the best one currently, and as they progress into next season as Randle continues to progress with the rest, he may still be the best of the bunch, and it's very clear he was also our team leader.

So basically you got the heart and soul of our team, whom is also our best player, and also the team leader. That's who Julius is to our team, and he would be the biggest bargaining chip of 'young talent' that we could put on the table to come play with. I think that's a fantastic thing to have, but we as an organization have to do right by him in bringing him back and NOT trying to short change that, or at least not give him an insulting offer.

I watched a bunch of Cavs games last year, especially after the trade. I saw LeBron had nobody on his team worth crap. He tried to defer, but he had to do it all if they wanted to win. he ran out of gas

The young Lakers with PG are going to be needed if we want to beat GS. It also helps that Lonzo wont force anything and would prefer to get 15 assists over scoring 30 pts.

I guess I'm assuming LeBron is coming to LA because he knows he needs help and he knows Magic will do whatever it takes to win. I'm hoping we keep the core together and at least see what we have.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

I love seeing Randle workout videos. I just love his attitude. Thanks!
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject:

Jsthornton7 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

I feel like Dallas will focus more on getting Deandre Jordan or Cousins before Randle if they don’t draft Bamba.

Because there is a slim chance that Dallas invests big money (say 15 mill) in Randle and drafts another big in Bamba when neither are shooters.

Of course it’s possible, but I don’t see them making those commitments when there could potentially be chemistry problems.

Roster construction goes beyond simply plugging guys into center and power forward. Bamba and Randle would be fine on defense, but on offense, Bamba wouldn’t give Randle nearly enough space (like Lopez did) to do his drive and barrel thing.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

I’m sorry, but there is nobody out there to replace him this off season. He’s about to take another step
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Jsthornton7 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

Because there is a slim chance that Dallas invests big money (say 15 mill) in Randle and drafts another big in Bamba when neither are shooters.

Of course it’s possible, but I don’t see them making those commitments when there could potentially be chemistry problems.

Roster construction goes beyond simply plugging guys into center and power forward. Bamba and Randle would be fine on defense, but on offense, Bamba wouldn’t give Randle nearly enough space (like Lopez did) to do his drive and barrel thing.

I think Bamba might be an underrated shooter, and I also think Dallas loves Julius. Hopefully we match.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C846XhL22QQ
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Jsthornton7 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

I think Bamba might be an underrated shooter, and I also think Dallas loves Julius. Hopefully we match.

If I were Dallas, I’d want Randle too, but not with another big who isn’t a legitimate shooter (Randle really needs that, IMO).

They’ll have about 28 million in space if they keep the #5 pick.

If they trade it to Boston for some of their future picks, Dallas will have upwards of 34 million to spend. With this kind of money, they could conceivably secure Cousins at around 22 mill and still have room to offer Randle 13 or so mill.

What I just outlined is more than likely their Plan A. For this reason, I’m hoping they don’t have the opportunity to trade #5 to Boston and they don’t get Cousins for under 25 million. I’m hoping they draft a young big who, in their minds, is a bad fit with Randle (Bamba or Carter).
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
MJST wrote:

I’m sorry, but there is nobody out there to replace him this off season. He’s about to take another step

He is our

Best player

Best defender

Most efficient offensive option

Heart and Soul of the Team

Our Team Leader

And he's working harder to take his game to an even higher level and he only just turned 23. Yeah... I'd agree with that statement.

We need to re-sign him to mulitple years and NOT play the QO game. If he takes another step this season as he has been each season prior, than the market for him if he took the QO and became an UFA would be MUCH MUCH higher than if we locked him up this off-season and for the next 4 years.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Jsthornton7 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

If I were Dallas, I’d want Randle too, but not with another big who isn’t a legitimate shooter (Randle really needs that, IMO).

If they trade it to Boston for some of their future picks, Dallas will have upwards of 34 million to spend. With this kind of money, they could conceivably secure Cousins at around 22 mill and still have room to offer Randle 13 or so mill.

What I just outlined is more than likely their Plan A. For this reason, I’m hoping they don’t have the opportunity to trade #5 to Boston and they don’t get Cousins for under 25 million. I’m hoping they draft a young big who, in their minds, is a bad fit with Randle (Bamba or Carter).

If you watched the video Bamba looks pretty good from the shooting perspective. I think the would have a good young nucleus with Bamba and Randle along with DSJ and Curry too. Plus the Dallas fan base would love Randle going into his prime. I’d be pissed. 😂
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
MJST wrote:

He is our

Best player

Best defender

Our Team Leader

And he's working harder to take his game to an even higher level and he only just turned 23. Yeah... I'd agree with that statement.

We need to re-sign him to mulitple years and NOT play the QO game. If he takes another step this season as he has been each season prior, than the market for him if he took the QO and became an UFA would be MUCH MUCH higher than if we locked him up this off-season and for the next 4 years.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
MJST wrote:

He is our

Best player

Best defender

Our Team Leader

He’s not taking “another step” with James and George on the team.

Why don’t people understand how chemistry works? There is nearly no damn way he averages over 12 points a game with James, George, and Ingram ahead of him in the pecking order. Truthfully speaking, I think he’ll average closer to eight.

I’d agree with you that he will take another step this year if the Lakers weren’t chasing immeadiacy, but they are, and that means that the keys will be for James and George and Ingram to drive. Randle, as much as he sees himself as more (and he should), will undoubtedly be relegated and marginalized into becoming a role player.

Might as well play hard ball with this dude, let the market dictate his salary, and allow him the opportunity to prove you wrong ... that he can be effective and productive in the enivitable “LeBron James System”.

All this may be moot, of course, because Dallas could simply just swoop him up with an offer over 13 or 14 mill. That’d probably be enough to snag him, IMO. Why? Because, even if they dump Deng with picks, Randle is such a tremendous wildcard when it comes to fit and overall chemistry.

But I suppose I’m the only one around here who either understands that or is willing to question his skillset and mindset meshing with the domineering playstyle of LeBron James (and another all-NBA guy in George).

I started a thread months ago questioning this very same potential fit problem and was lambasted for “worrying too much”. Well if worrying is thinking reality-based and not burying my head in the sand, then I am, by all means, doing just that ... worrying (about chemistry).

These things need to be considered before doling out big deals to guys in contract years on teams with limited talent with no all-stars. You should not adopt the philosophy of figuring it out later. That’d be the definition of shirt-sightedness.

I stand by my original sentiment: Pope, with James and George (and Ingram), is more valuable and a better fit (skillset and mentality-wise) than Randle ... even with Hart already on the roster. Pope is the better role player for a team with James and George, and that’s what they need surrounding them, roleplayers.

Randle’s game is not about complimenting. Don’t get me wrong. He’s “the truth”, but his skills are far less conducive to adapting and his mind state is far more alpha than it is beta. He will either struggle mightily with James, or play alright but be very upset and feel subjugated.

Why pay a guy when you foresee these things? It’d be great for the Lakers, team-wise, from a roster construction perspective, and business-wise, to get Randle to sign that qualifying offer.

They’ll get a chance to get one more look at him, this time with two stars who’ll be controlling the ball, and they’ll also have the opportunity to resign Pope, a player who could very well prove more valuable, especially against Golden State.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject:

Why wouldn't Julius take another step with LBJ and George on the team?

People do realize that Julius' big jump in FG% is WAY more PnR roll-man heavy, right?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/randlju01/splits/2018

You can even see it in the last month, where Ingram and Lonzo were both out and he carried the load on offense. Less wins, but near 10% drop in FG compared to other months.

January was also another injury plagued month, hence the 9 game losing streak.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Love the dude, but he still has that twist in his hips when he takes a J. Don't like that.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Jsthornton7 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

If you watched the video Bamba looks pretty good from the shooting perspective. I think the would have a good young nucleus with Bamba and Randle along with DSJ and Curry too. Plus the Dallas fan base would love Randle going into his prime. I’d be pissed. 😂

You could very well be right about Randle fitting well with Bamba. He’s reworked his jumper it seems. It looks much cleaner than Randle’s.

I’ve said before that if I was Dallas I’d definitely snag Randle. He’s perfect next to Nowitzki. If I were them I’d actually be looking at wings (SFs and SGs) because I think Barnes is a better player at PF than he is at SF.

Still hoping that Cuban cubes and goes after the big fish in Cousins and uses up over 24 mill of his potentially 34 mill in space.

We shall see.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
MJST wrote:

Love the dude, but he still has that twist in his hips when he takes a J. Don't like that.

This actually makes some sense.

Gilbert Arenas right hand shooting vs left hand shooting... reference to Lonzo Ball's shooting issues.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

No body twist. I assume that's what the bungees are for. Anyone know?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
MJST wrote:

It's a lot less pronounced, imo, though these are drills focused on that, so who knows what it would look like in game.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
MJST wrote:

I will be PISSED if we don't pay our own to bring even more of a circus to town.

#BannersOverBillboards
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Hes becoming even more unguardable. Retain that Beast!
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject:

calistrtballr wrote:
Hes becoming even more unguardable. Retain that Beast!

It's true. Pretty clear not a rubber band in the league will be able to contain him next season.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject:

I love the work ethic of JR (second to none). I love his hustle. I love that he is our enforcer. He is still growing and I expect him to develop even further this year. I am not slighting him, but saying he is our best offensive player is a stretch (and means nothing anyways). If we do get our 2 big max players, nobody is going to have to change their game more than JR (if he stays with us which I hope and am confident that he will).

I am sure Luke is going to want him to be "that rebounder" of a couple of years ago. Two years ago, he was one of the most tenacious rebounders I have seen in the league in a long time. He stepped away from that part of his game. I would look for him to be a league leader in rebounding, play great D, and still average in the mid teens for us. If he continues development of his outside shot, it will be incredible. He is the guy that will push us over the top to win a championship. I really think he is the X factor for us if we get the Queen and PG.

Last edited by RI Laker on Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1429, 1430, 1431 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1430 of 1536
Jump to: