The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1513, 1514, 1515 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
So depressing that they could have locked Randle up on a multi-year bargain contract and passed. This team would be so much better with Randle, and his contract would have been easy to move. Situations like the Orlando game where stretch bigs were killing Chandler and McGee, it would have been nice to have Randle available.

Would we have cap space to sign Kawhi, KD or Klay if julius was signed to a multiyear deal with the Lakers?

Not without trading Deng
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Imagine if we kept Randle and Brook, Lonzo/Hart/LeBron/Randle/Brook would be a much better lineup than whatever we have right now. (Brook to make up for Julius non-spacing.)

Bench could be Rondo/KCP/Ingram/Kuzma/Chandler which isn't too shabby. Oops

Yeah. That's the tricky part with Jules. He needs a big who can shoot 3s. Jules/JaVale would have clogged up the lane, but if Jules was open to being a 6th man this team would have been insanely good.

Still very sad Jules is gone but hoping that we get our 2nd star next year.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
Would we have cap space to sign Kawhi, KD or Klay if julius was signed to a multiyear deal with the Lakers?

If nothing else he would have been an easy contract to move if they needed space.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:

If nothing else he would have been an easy contract to move if they needed space.

I think that dynamic, that Jules didn't feel he was a long term priority, is why he asked out. Even if he got a multi-year deal at say 10-11m/year, he probably felt he would be moved at the earliest whim. I personally wanted Jules to be back with LBJ but it is what it is.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject:

Do it Mitch! wrote:
Second highest bench scorer in the NBA currently.

And he probably wont even be considered for 6th Man of The year.

There's still a lot of misconceptions about Julius' ability as a player.

The Lakers front office should be getting criticized MUCH more by the media for letting Julius walk, but people are still sleeping on him.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:

I think that dynamic, that Jules didn't feel he was a long term priority, is why he asked out. Even if he got a multi-year deal at say 10-11m/year, he probably felt he would be moved at the earliest whim. I personally wanted Jules to be back with LBJ but it is what it is.

The Lakers front office all but told Julius to kick rocks. They made it clear that he wasn't a long term or even a short term priority.

Paul George was had re-signed with OKC, so once Lebron signed with the Lakers the very next thing they should have done was start negotiations with Randle, instead they went out and signed a bunch of vets to one year deals and weren't even communicating with Julius.

The sad thing isn't I'm not even sure how much of it had to do with Julius. Ever since Rob and Magic took over they've been systematically getting rid of anybody with connections to the old regime. They fired John Black for no apparent reason and have slowly gotten rid of every player drafted by the previous regime in recent years. It's already pretty obvious that they're looking to get rid of Ingram too.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I didn't like how they predetermined Jules' role at the beginning of last season.

But I do think there was a natural response by Jules to the situation, ergo, he wanted out. Why be on a team on a 1 year deal or a deal that is trade-able. They probably refused to promise him a long term place here so I think it was only natural for him to ask out.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
But I do think there was a natural response by Jules to the situation, ergo, he wanted out. Why be on a team on a 1 year deal or a deal that is trade-able. They probably refused to promise him a long term place here so I think it was only natural for him to ask out.

I agree with the take there, but I think if the Front Office had coddled him a bit more they could have gotten him for an affordable long-term deal. If he were on the team he'd be starting right now and would have a bigger role than he wound up having in New Orleans. And if he didn't want to take it they could have kept him on his qualifying offer or matched the Pelicans deal and then tried to shop him. Or tried to convince him to stay if he enjoyed his role. He didn't enter into last year's training camp happy either.

I think the biggest thing was just that after George snubbed them Randle lost the ability to be the over the cap signing and they weren't interested in tying up cap space with him unless he took a one year deal (in which case he'd then almost certainly be gone after the year) which he felt insulted by. Imo they should have coddled him, let the market dictate his salary, and then made the decision on him when the time came. Seemed like they rushed into the decision once they saw they couldn't unload Deng.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I agree with the take there, but I think if the Front Office had coddled him a bit more they could have gotten him for an affordable long-term deal. If he were on the team he'd be starting right now and would have a bigger role than he wound up having in New Orleans. And if he didn't want to take it they could have kept him on his qualifying offer or matched the Pelicans deal and then tried to shop him. Or tried to convince him to stay if he enjoyed his role. He didn't enter into last year's training camp happy either.

I think the biggest thing was just that after George snubbed them Randle lost the ability to be the over the cap signing and they weren't interested in tying up cap space with him unless he took a one year deal (in which case he'd then almost certainly be gone after the year) which he felt insulted by. Imo they should have coddled him, let the market dictate his salary, and then made the decision on him when the time came. Seemed like they rushed into the decision once they saw they couldn't unload Deng.

Good point on PG and over-the-cap signing.

I think Mintz/PG really put an interesting spin on this past summer.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject:

duplicate

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:

The FO disrespected him, he asked out. Their talent evaluation is questionable.
kenkoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:

Magic and Pelinka were too enamored with with their "shiny new toys" in Lonzo/Kuzma/Hart, and they failed to realize that Randle was the only homegrown talent in recent years that actually showed consistent progress/work ethic. They allowed their egos, and disdain for Mintz to cloud their decision making. I'm sure that something could've been worked out if they really wanted to...
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
So depressing that they could have locked Randle up on a multi-year bargain contract and passed. This team would be so much better with Randle, and his contract would have been easy to move. Situations like the Orlando game where stretch bigs were killing Chandler and McGee, it would have been nice to have Randle available.

yep.

But apparently having a 4 that can guard 1-4 as well as the 5 competently. Can run the fast break, can pass, rebound, get his own shot, is one of the best defenders on the team, and a triple double waiting to happen while being the heart and soul of the team.

Wasn't enough to get him a second year from the current FO... cause "gotta look at 2019-2020"

kenkoy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:

Magic and Pelinka were too enamored with with their "shiny new toys" in Lonzo/Kuzma/Hart, and they failed to realize that Randle was the only homegrown talent in recent years that actually showed consistent progress/work ethic. They allowed their egos, and disdain for Mintz to cloud their decision making. I'm sure that something could've been worked out if they really wanted to...

Yep....there;s been far worse situations that got worked out, but the FO was just quick to let Randle go because to be quite frank no matter what bull they fed him in the off-season about him being rewarded if he did certain things, they were never intending to pay him and did everything they could to undermine him and his value during the season that followed.

But he went above and beyond and deserved to be rewarded, but the FO after being put in a spot of keeping their promises backed away. So Randle bet on himself because they refused to. That' the FO's blunder, not his. All the evidence was in front of them that they SHOULD keep the kid, but nope, they are so glossy eyed to two off-seasons from now they couldn't see the forest for the trees.

Say what we will about Mitch, but Randle's likely is still a Laker under their watch and none of these 'shark' games would have been played with him.

Magic, Pelinka and Luke now get to watch their blunder, and understand if they don't strike gold next off-season they've blown the chance at something great.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject:

Julius Randle 21 Pts, 14 Rebs, 10 Asts no TO vs The Spurs

PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject:

Triple double and the Win against the team we've lost to twice so far this season...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

Why do I keep coming back in here?

Hurts fam
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

yep.

But apparently having a 4 that can guard 1-4 as well as the 5 competently. Can run the fast break, can pass, rebound, get his own shot, is one of the best defenders on the team, and a triple double waiting to happen while being the heart and soul of the team.

Wasn't enough to get him a second year from the current FO... cause "gotta look at 2019-2020"

kenkoy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:

Yep....there;s been far worse situations that got worked out, but the FO was just quick to let Randle go because to be quite frank no matter what bull they fed him in the off-season about him being rewarded if he did certain things, they were never intending to pay him and did everything they could to undermine him and his value during the season that followed.

But he went above and beyond and deserved to be rewarded, but the FO after being put in a spot of keeping their promises backed away. So Randle bet on himself because they refused to. That' the FO's blunder, not his. All the evidence was in front of them that they SHOULD keep the kid, but nope, they are so glossy eyed to two off-seasons from now they couldn't see the forest for the trees.

Say what we will about Mitch, but Randle's likely is still a Laker under their watch and none of these 'shark' games would have been played with him.

Magic, Pelinka and Luke now get to watch their blunder, and understand if they don't strike gold next off-season they've blown the chance at something great.

I just want you to be happy.

I picture you sitting there with fists clenched every time you post something.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

Trip dub for my man Jrock. Damn.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
tox wrote:
Imagine if we kept Randle and Brook, Lonzo/Hart/LeBron/Randle/Brook would be a much better lineup than whatever we have right now. (Brook to make up for Julius non-spacing.)

Bench could be Rondo/KCP/Ingram/Kuzma/Chandler which isn't too shabby. Oops

Yeah. That's the tricky part with Jules. He needs a big who can shoot 3s. Jules/JaVale would have clogged up the lane, but if Jules was open to being a 6th man this team would have been insanely good.

Still very sad Jules is gone but hoping that we get our 2nd star next year.

Yeah Julius/JaVale next to LeBron reminds me of the '14-'15 Cavs with TT and Mozgov, where LeBron's TS% in the playoffs absolutely plummeted to outlier levels (<50%!?!?!?!?).
But I would love Julius/Brook next to LeBron. Especially because Julius slots into the small ball 5 for a "death lineup" too.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:

Here's a hot take though, you could afford Randle by trading Deng and either Ball or Ingram. Deng's stretched contract is basically $5M, Ingram's salary is $5.2M, so you could afford Julius at $10M and still be able to get Durant or Kawhi. If you use Lonzo you can pay him a bit more.

The problem is the FO assumed it was a given that Lonzo/BI > Randle, and right now I'm not sure that's the case (especially BI who has positional overlap with LeBron)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:

Here's a hot take though, you could afford Randle by trading Deng and either Ball or Ingram. Deng's stretched contract is basically $5M, Ingram's salary is $5.2M, so you could afford Julius at $10M and still be able to get Durant or Kawhi. If you use Lonzo you can pay him a bit more.

The problem is the FO assumed it was a given that Lonzo/BI > Randle, and right now I'm not sure that's the case (especially BI who has positional overlap with LeBron)

No doubt there was a 0% chance they give up on their #2 picks like that, for better or worse.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject:

22/9 so far. 2-2 from 3P.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Another fat L.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject:

he was tryna run through simmons face on every single possession

also
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject:

22/10 and 2/2 from Three Tonight vs the 76ers

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1513, 1514, 1515 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1514 of 1536
Jump to: