The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 244, 245, 246 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject:

Paul milsap + is his max potential
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
exempt wrote:
Lamar is soft. Randle is a guy looking to body up with. They are totally different players.

Disagree. KG is soft, especially with how Odom treated him during the Finals.

Did you not watch young KG? Not sure what you mean by soft, but that guy went hard in the paint, played hurt and was never scared of contact and altercation. There is a reason KG is going in the hall of fame and odom never made an all star game.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
exempt wrote:
Lamar is soft. Randle is a guy looking to body up with. They are totally different players.

Disagree. KG is soft, especially with how Odom treated him during the Finals.

Did you not watch young KG? Not sure what you mean by soft, but that guy went hard in the paint, played hurt and was never scared of contact and altercation. There is a reason KG is going in the hall of fame and odom never made an all star game.

In Minny, he was awesome. I wanted him to be a Laker and there was a handshake deal in place.

In Boston? Intimidated smaller players. Picked on the smaller players. Being an idiot on the floor. Even Odom got the best of him.

Soft.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject:

Okafor/Randle will work. Pau/Bynum were both slow and couldn't beat their opponent off the dribble consistently like Okafor/Randle can. Horns is the perfect offense for them as well, the triangle was outdated.
gooner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject:

lakerslifer wrote:
MagicMayun wrote:
lakerslifer wrote:
lakerslifer wrote:
lakerslifer wrote:
to allow us to sign Aldridge or Love, Can Randle play the SF position? just like Kawhi...

if we get Okafor, having Love to stretch will be complimentary. Randle needed at SF
if we get Towns, Randle can play his slashing and post game as PF but we need a 3pointer SF.

Okafor with Randle can clog up the passing lanes in my opinion. Randle needs to do more baseline jumpers so Okafor can do his under the basket moves.... if he cant play SF sad to say he may have to be traded.

Randle for Porzingis might be a good thing if we get Okafor???

With all due respect, that is a terrible idea.

Okafor/Randle will be the second coming of Bynum/Pau....not going to work for long stretches. Both are more low post offense, we need to free up some space to make both players productive.

Randle is much more of a face up player than a post player. 15 feet out, face up, drive and score, drive and dish, or shoot the jumper over a sagging defender. Not like Pau at all who, like Bynum, was most effective with his back to the basket.
hoopla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
People really sleeping on how talented Lamar was. He never put it all together but he was thought by some to be the next Magic during his rookie year.

he could've been the next magic lite. if another team aside from the clips allowed him to be the primary ball handler. That was the thing in the triangle that was never going to happen with prime kobe on the team.

Look at lamar's stats. he had multiple peaks. Thats not because he's a headcase. It shows you how certain teams used him as a primary player vs how other teams use him in different years.

LO was never going to be lebron because he's not nearly as athletic or as strongly built as lebron. Thats not LO's fault. LO could've slept on the weights and he would never have been as big as LBJ.

LBJ had a natural gift where he can go right or left and finish very well with either hand. That was from birth. LO finally started to learn how to go right almost at the end of his career.

Since LO is a true PF. Of course it took forever for him to get a legit jumpshot. PFs are not supposed to be shooters. LBJ was playing like a little guy his entire basketball career.

Some guys are just built differently. LIke a skinny KG was still a tough customer. He early on did not shy away from contact. He use to play a lot in the low post vs much larger guys. LO was not a banger by nature. He didnt have the wirey strong body type nor did he have the freight train lebron /karl malone body type. and to boot he loved to pass more then he loved to shoot.

So this is why randle and LO is a decent comparison on skillset but not who they are/were.

Randle is an attacker that loves contact. Who is randle built like? LO or LBJ? LBJ.. a freight train/bull. So he can take the contact. Lo rams into someone and he dislocates his shoulder. Some guys are just built differently.

Randle will most likely become a some what grounded version of blake griffin. super quick PF with very very good handles, a nice mid range jumper, thats ok with the contact in the paint. I dont think randle will be the flopper that blake has become under Cp3. but thats another story.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject:

gooner wrote:
lakerslifer wrote:
MagicMayun wrote:
lakerslifer wrote:
lakerslifer wrote:
lakerslifer wrote:
to allow us to sign Aldridge or Love, Can Randle play the SF position? just like Kawhi...

if we get Okafor, having Love to stretch will be complimentary. Randle needed at SF
if we get Towns, Randle can play his slashing and post game as PF but we need a 3pointer SF.

Okafor with Randle can clog up the passing lanes in my opinion. Randle needs to do more baseline jumpers so Okafor can do his under the basket moves.... if he cant play SF sad to say he may have to be traded.

Okafor/Randle will be the second coming of Bynum/Pau....not going to work for long stretches. Both are more low post offense, we need to free up some space to make both players productive.

Randle is much more of a face up player than a post player. 15 feet out, face up, drive and score, drive and dish, or shoot the jumper over a sagging defender. Not like Pau at all who, like Bynum, was most effective with his back to the basket.

Yup just look at Randle's Highschool highlights. It's almost exclusively him attacking from the perimeter either through a jumpshot or drive. It's only when he got to kentucky did he focus exclusively on his post game. In the NBA, I feel he will work mostly from the perimeter with a few postups per game mixed in. I don't think that would clash with Okafor at all.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject:

Plenty of advanced ball-handling there.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
People really sleeping on how talented Lamar was. He never put it all together but he was thought by some to be the next Magic during his rookie year.

I certainly wouldn't question his skill. But it doesn't change the fact that he was so damn disappointing. He'd put up 24/12 one game and then 11/7 the next game. Like you said he never put it all together. If Randle follows down that same narrative I'll be greatly disappointed.
MagicMayun
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject:

gooner wrote:
lakerslifer wrote:
MagicMayun wrote:
lakerslifer wrote:
lakerslifer wrote:
lakerslifer wrote:

This. I don't know where the perception Randle doesnt have an outside game came from, but its simply not true. Offensively, Randle and Okafor's compliment each other well... even better than Towns who is very limited in the post. Defensively is a different story... as Towns clearly compliments Randle on that end better.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtuR-xdFXqo

Advanced for a PF. Average for a SF. Basic crossover, spin, hesitation.

Lamar actually was a point forward for URI and the Los Angeles Clippers. Point guard level ball-handling. Pity there aren't too many highlights of it.

As great as a ball-handler that he was, he still can't drive right with his right hand as a lead dribble.

Here's some of it though, even after a regression in ball-handling.

krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject:

Clarkson
Kobe
Randle
Love
Okafor
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtuR-xdFXqo

Advanced for a PF. Average for a SF. Basic crossover, spin, hesitation.

Lamar actually was a point forward for URI and the Los Angeles Clippers. Point guard level ball-handling. Pity there aren't too many highlights of it.

As great as a ball-handler that he was, he still can't drive right with his right hand as a lead dribble.

I get the fancy ball-handling. Honestly, LeBron doesn't have And-1 handles but they are pretty damn good. As long as you can get to the basket and have counter-moves, which Randle has. When you are a big man, you want to be effective and efficient.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject:

Quote:
LeBron doesn't have And-1 handles but they are pretty damn good

He did at the HS level. That's why he played point forward/SG at the HS level, then spent his first two years in the NBA playing point guard.

Randle is basic. Crossover at the beginning, L to R or R to L, then accelerate.

Guys like LeBron James and Odom can integrate that crossover with changes in speed. James used to be able to do multiple changes of direction on his drives like a point guard. Odom was so long, he didn't have to.

That's also why Odom started the NBA as a point forward.

styleripftw
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject:

I think a good comparison for Randle is a guy like Hakeem Olajuwon.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject:

A better version than this?!

Hard to imagine.

"Now I'm getting pissed off."
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject:

These players always have "better handles" in HS. The competition is so poor they can get away with it.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject:

Interesting wrote:
I think Randle is going to really surprise people... seems like everyone is overlooking him now that we got one of Towns or Okafor on their way in. I think Randle is going to be an absolute beast for us and will solidify our front court. People are also trying to slide Randle in the 3 spot on the wing which I think is silly. Yes, he's versatile and has quick foot speed but it's pretty obvious -to me at least- that Randle eats his dinner inside on the block. His post moves and feel around the rim are elite status.

I'm expecting big things from Randle as well. I am convinced he's the real thing based on glimpses of what he could do last year. That said, he's a very different player than Odom, maybe the most similarity is that they are both very good at going coast to coast (Randle will still have to prove this but from what I could see this is my expectation as well).

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
These players always have "better handles" in HS. The competition is so poor they can get away with it.

It's not the competition. It's the ability to do it.

If Odom is showing PG handles at the HS and Randle isn't at the same level, what does that say?

Odom is the more advanced ball-handler. So much so, he was regarded as a Point forward into college and the beginning of the NBA level.

I don't know how much more proof is needed. If the scouts/GMs/coaching staff is comfortable with it, then it's obvious.

Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject:

Randle was definitely showing pg handles

Just because Odom could dribble between other players' legs doesn't mean Randle's handles aren't pretty good as well

Just means Odom's handles were even better. Odom had crazy handles. Crazy for PGs, let alone for someone his size
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

If Odom is showing PG handles at the HS and Randle isn't at the same level, what does that say?

Odom is the more advanced ball-handler. So much so, he was regarded as a Point forward into college and the beginning of the NBA level.

I don't know how much more proof is needed. If the scouts/GMs/coaching staff is comfortable with it, then it's obvious.

Scottie Pippen was a Point Forward, doesn't make him an advanced ball-handler. You don't need Kyrie Irving handles to be a point-forward. Randle's ball-handling is being underrated. Randle is very comfortable playing Point Forward. He did it plenty of times at Kentucky.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject:

Odom could have been a HOF player if he has a good work ethic. So much talent and skill.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Scottie Pippen was a Point Forward, doesn't make him an advanced ball-handler. You don't need Kyrie Irving handles to be a point-forward. Randle's ball-handling is being underrated. Randle is very comfortable playing Point Forward. He did it plenty of times at Kentucky.

Pippen knew how to protect the basketball, but he wasn't really an advanced shot creator.

The point? Odom's ball-handling > Randle's ball-handling, since HS.

LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject:

http://hoopshype.com/social/video.html#/slideID514553204965916672

He's got more than just basic ball-handling. Underrated.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject:

I think Randle has a great hesitation move in his dribble arsenal. I hope he his spending the summer really working on that with his jumpshot.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 244, 245, 246 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 245 of 1536
Jump to: