The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 527, 528, 529 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject:

That's not my point.

Booker can be a great prospect simultaneously with Jules/DLO.

I don't buy the argument that Booker is overrated.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject:

Does anybody think Randle may not be as good a rebounder as his stats indicate? I feel like we have no one else who even tries to rebound. Hibbert doesn't, Sacre doesn't, Bass and Tarik go after offensive rebounds.

I hope I'm wrong, but I saw Taj Gibson attack him on the glass.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
Does anybody think Randle may not be as good a rebounder as his stats indicate? I feel like we have no one else who even tries to rebound. Hibbert doesn't, Sacre doesn't, Bass and Tarik go after offensive rebounds.

I think his stats are a little inflated because nobody else can rebound but he's only a rookie. He will improve while we get other better rebounders. I see him being a 10-12 rebound per game guy even on a really good team in his prime.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:

ya i was thinking about the same. he plays with a dude Hibert who doesn't want to rebound at all.

i hope he keeps this after we get a real rebounder
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Why does Clarkson need to be traded?

I think we just need to temper our expectations on him just a bit. I love what I'm seeing, but I think he's more of a 6th man on a good team. And I'd love to keep him around in that capacity going forward.

so dave gets traded to the team's forum aswel
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
lkjhf wrote:
getting that trade value nice and high for the future randle/devin booker trade
Booker is being overhyped because he looks like Klay and has a jumper. He's a good young player but we have to slow down a bit. Klay is much more quicker, stronger, better ball handler, and he can defend multiple positions. Randle is a double double machine and he's versatile big. Clarkson is more versatile as a player as well and can play both on the ball and off. I like our core we just need better coaching.

If you're going to tell someone to slow down on Booker, you may want to heed that advice on JC a bit too.

Booker is legit. And he's only 19.
Clarkson is legit, he's only 23 and sat out a year due to NCAA rules.

Clarkson is over hyped iso chucker, meh i take booker everyday

Clarkson needs to be traded asap

Seriously -- what's wrong with you guys?

Why can't they both be legit? It's possible they are both legit. It's possible Kobe and Curry are both incredible, generational type players.

Jeez.

Because they both aren't legit in a lot of people's opinions. Clarkson is a ball stopper and doesn't play defense. He can be a good sixth man and maybe even low end starter on a championship team. He's 23, age is a factor whether you wanna admit it or not. He's a full grown man who is likely in his ideal physical shape now. He can improve his shot and ball handling but I doubt his court vision improves which is his biggest problem on offense. He has shown very little improvement on defense since last year as well which is his other biggest weakness.

Booker is taller and almost as athletic already. He's only a 19 year old rookie as well. He will fill out more and not lose athleticism. I don't see that being the case with Clarkson. He has the potential to turn into a very good defender where Clarkson is terrible with little signs of improvement. He is not only willing to play off the ball, but he is at his best when he is. Clarkson wants to dribble for 12 seconds a possession.

Just because we are Lakers fans doesn't mean we have to love every young player in the team. Clarkson was a great draft pick and is a pretty good player but he is portrayed as a much better player on here than he actually is. With that said, NO to Randle for Booker but I would do Clarkson and/or a vet for him.

Your post went off the rails with the second paragraph. If Booker combined Clarkson's athletecism with his jumpshot and advanced bbiq, he would have been taken at #5 instead of Hezonja. Here's Draft Express on Booker's athletecism:
Quote:
Booker has solid height for a shooting guard at 6-6 in shoes, as well as a strong build, but doesn't possess a very long wingspan (6-6) or incredible explosiveness. He's a fluid athlete who moves well and has decent quickness, but isn't the type of prospect who will be jumping over or dominating other players physically.

And here's DX on Booker's defensive potential:
Quote:
Defensively, Booker's strong frame and competitive nature means he is unlikely to emerge as a liability on this end of the floor. He fights over screens, and shows excellent technique and fundamentals, rarely getting pushed around, despite his youth. With that said, his lack of length and reach, combined with his average lateral quickness, does raise some concerns. He struggles to contest jump-shots closing out on the perimeter, and will get beat at times off the dribble. Additionally, he averaged one of the lowest number of blocks, steals and rebounds of any player in this draft on a per-minute basis, which is a red-flag statistically that again points towards a distinct lack of upside on this end of the court.

Booker has a ton of talent for a 19 year old pure shooter, but he doesn't have Klay Thompson's frame or athletecism, and tracks closer to the Jodie Meeks and J. J. Redicks of the league right now. Booker is a terrible defender himself, and will need to improve a lot there through awareness and effort given his lower physical upside, but if he can get there, he can develop into a better/ elite version of Reddick.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:

I don't know about that. He has a pretty great motor and seems to always get his hands on the ball. Some might be inflated Ala Moses Malone where he gets his own misses a lot. Lol
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:

This thought crossed my mind. Hibbert being Hibbert definitely plays a part but if you watch Julius you'll see him constantly seeking the ball and getting in position, reading the flight of the ball so he knows where to be. He uses his strength to move bodies and snatches tough rebounds in traffic when he has to. A lot of times when he's off ball on the perimeter his defender will turn his head because Julius wasn't a threat to shoot and that allowed him a free path to the offensive glass. He has board vision in the same way Russell has court vision.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."

Last edited by manlisten on Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

I think his stats are a little inflated because nobody else can rebound but he's only a rookie. He will improve while we get other better rebounders. I see him being a 10-12 rebound per game guy even on a really good team in his prime.

Yep. I don't count the "gimmes". The rebounds that come to a player after a missed free throw. But, even making allowances for that, he's still a damn good rebounder.

Remember the other 19 rebound game he had against I believe it was Washington? Late in that game there was a rebound caroming off the rim with Gortat in hot pursuit. Julius outran, out jumped, and out maneuvered Gorat. I was seriously impressed with everything he did. His rebounding is legit.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
lkjhf wrote:
getting that trade value nice and high for the future randle/devin booker trade
Booker is being overhyped because he looks like Klay and has a jumper. He's a good young player but we have to slow down a bit. Klay is much more quicker, stronger, better ball handler, and he can defend multiple positions. Randle is a double double machine and he's versatile big. Clarkson is more versatile as a player as well and can play both on the ball and off. I like our core we just need better coaching.

If you're going to tell someone to slow down on Booker, you may want to heed that advice on JC a bit too.

Booker is legit. And he's only 19.
Clarkson is legit, he's only 23 and sat out a year due to NCAA rules.

Clarkson is over hyped iso chucker, meh i take booker everyday

Clarkson needs to be traded asap

Seriously -- what's wrong with you guys?

Why can't they both be legit? It's possible they are both legit. It's possible Kobe and Curry are both incredible, generational type players.

Jeez.

Because they both aren't legit in a lot of people's opinions. Clarkson is a ball stopper and doesn't play defense. He can be a good sixth man and maybe even low end starter on a championship team. He's 23, age is a factor whether you wanna admit it or not. He's a full grown man who is likely in his ideal physical shape now. He can improve his shot and ball handling but I doubt his court vision improves which is his biggest problem on offense. He has shown very little improvement on defense since last year as well which is his other biggest weakness.

Booker is taller and almost as athletic already. He's only a 19 year old rookie as well. He will fill out more and not lose athleticism. I don't see that being the case with Clarkson. He has the potential to turn into a very good defender where Clarkson is terrible with little signs of improvement. He is not only willing to play off the ball, but he is at his best when he is. Clarkson wants to dribble for 12 seconds a possession.

Just because we are Lakers fans doesn't mean we have to love every young player in the team. Clarkson was a great draft pick and is a pretty good player but he is portrayed as a much better player on here than he actually is. With that said, NO to Randle for Booker but I would do Clarkson and/or a vet for him.

Your post went off the rails with the second paragraph. If Booker combined Clarkson's athletecism with his jumpshot and advanced bbiq, he would have been taken at #5 instead of Hezonja. Here's Draft Express on Booker's athletecism:
Quote:
Booker has solid height for a shooting guard at 6-6 in shoes, as well as a strong build, but doesn't possess a very long wingspan (6-6) or incredible explosiveness. He's a fluid athlete who moves well and has decent quickness, but isn't the type of prospect who will be jumping over or dominating other players physically.

And here's DX on Booker's defensive potential:
Quote:
Defensively, Booker's strong frame and competitive nature means he is unlikely to emerge as a liability on this end of the floor. He fights over screens, and shows excellent technique and fundamentals, rarely getting pushed around, despite his youth. With that said, his lack of length and reach, combined with his average lateral quickness, does raise some concerns. He struggles to contest jump-shots closing out on the perimeter, and will get beat at times off the dribble. Additionally, he averaged one of the lowest number of blocks, steals and rebounds of any player in this draft on a per-minute basis, which is a red-flag statistically that again points towards a distinct lack of upside on this end of the court.

Booker has a ton of talent for a 19 year old pure shooter, but he doesn't have Klay Thompson's frame or athletecism, and tracks closer to the Jodie Meeks and J. J. Redicks of the league right now. Booker is a terrible defender himself, and will need to improve a lot there through awareness and effort given his lower physical upside, but if he can get there, he can develop into a better/ elite version of Reddick.

Players have been drafted after players they are better than all the time so I don't care that Hezonja was taken ahead of him. I haven't seen much of the magic but it wouldn't shock me if Hezonja and Booker both developed into very good NBA players. Draft express isn't the end all be all player judgement site, they can be wrong. They also said he WONT be a liability even if he doesn't end up a great defender. Clarkson is a liability, is in his peak physical shape, and is 4 years older. He's multiple inches taller than Meeks and reddick and projects to be a better all around player then both. Maybe I'm overestimating Bookers athleticism a little bit but like I said, he is still a teenager and can change his body drastically throughout his career. I can't say the same about Clarkson.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject:

Even if he's playing with a poor rebounder in Hibbert, I don't think that Randle's rebounding numbers are inflated. West, a traditionally good rebounder, never got over ten boards playing alongside Roy. Roy averaged 6.6 boards in '13-'14, most notable for the year of his "decline". Stephenson averaged 5.9 rebounds that year, and although he's never averaged more than four per his career, he was a triple double threat in Indiana. Even when he was on the bench, Julius still averaged 9.6 per game.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject:

Julius is a determined rebounder and seems to have found a niche'. He will only get better at it.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject:

Maybe fiendish or GT or other stats savvy posters can chime in, but TRB% takes team and opponents' rebounding into account, which should reduce noise (good/ bad rebounding teammates) and give a more accurate representation of how Julius Randle rebounds vis-a-vis the league, right?

He is currently tied for 12th in TRB% with KAT at 19.5% and would be tied for 9th among players with more than 1000 minutes to date. As a rookie! That's some good rebounding.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject:

@BigGame: I prefer Booker to Clarkson and would move JC and a future 2nd for Booker right now. But that doesn't make Booker a very good defensive prospect or more than an average athlete at SG. Not a big deal, but some folks can go a bit over the top in lauding other teams' players and in denigrating ours.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject:

Randle is erasing some of the doubts I had about him. He still needs to improve on his carelessness with the ball and his defensive awareness.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject:

@BigGame: I prefer Booker to Clarkson and would move JC and a future 2nd for Booker right now. But that doesn't make Booker a very good defensive prospect or more than an average athlete at SG. Not a big deal, but some folks can go a bit over the top in lauding other teams' players and in denigrating ours.

Fair enough. I can see Booker growing into a good two way player but I could be wrong. I would argue we oversell our players and don't give other teams players enough credit but we won't know for a few years.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:

Fair enough. I can see Booker growing into a good two way player but I could be wrong. I would argue we oversell our players and don't give other teams players enough credit but we won't know for a few years.

Agreed, but admittedly some posters overrate some players more than others (*cough* Dave *cough*).
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject:

As soon as the jumper is legit. Game over NBA
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:

Agreed, but admittedly some posters overrate some players more than others (*cough* Dave *cough*).

Very true. There are some reasonable pro-Clarkson guys who get drowned out by the unreasonable ones.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

MJST wrote:
Julius Randle is currently 4th in the NBA in total rebounds

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/rebounds/sort/rebounds

only players ahead are Drummond, Deandre, & KAT
via lakesh0w

And at 27.4 MPG...

HOW IS HE NOT IN THE RISING STARS CHALLENGE
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

Russell1 wrote:
As soon as the jumper is legit. Game over NBA

I love his recent play and hustle. He's doing really well in what is essentially his rookie year.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”

Last edited by Fastbreak32 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
AJLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

He has been beasting!!
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Who cares, while Hood is partying and getting fat all star weekend Julius will be in the gym working on his game.

I'm aware. It's just that we miss out Russell, Clarkson and Randle together.

As a fan, that sucks.

I really wanted to see that also.

I have to admit, I've been hoping Parker or Hood would get some minor injury that would keep them out of the game. Nothing serious, just roll an ankle or something that would keep them from playing for a week.

Really want to see Randle in that game- he deserves it.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject:

Quote:
To Bryant, it wasn't just a humbling old-man moment. It was the basketball gods poking him for what he'd recently boasted to Randle and other teammates: that he had been posterized only once—by defensive specialist Adonal Foyle "a long, long time ago," and never since.

Lo and behold, here was comeuppance for his braggadocio. (And it's also worth noting that Anderson's dunk happened shortly after Russell had the backbone to chastise Bryant for not stepping into the lane with proper help defense on a previous play.)

Still, the irony Bryant found isn't even the best part of the story.

The conversation about being dunked on arose after Bryant had mocked Randle for being dunked on by the Clippers' Lance Stephenson the week before. So in light of Anderson's dunk on Bryant, Randle suggested Bryant do as Randle did: Randle changed his identity by dying his hair lighter.

Bryant predictably scoffed at that, which is when Randle dropped the hammer punch line:

"Oh, that's right," Randle ribbed Bryant. "You can't grow hair anymore."

The mystery behind Randle's new hair revealed

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2615222-lakers-kids-helping-kobe-find-joy-in-the-little-things-amid-season-gone-wrong
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
Quote:
To Bryant, it wasn't just a humbling old-man moment. It was the basketball gods poking him for what he'd recently boasted to Randle and other teammates: that he had been posterized only once—by defensive specialist Adonal Foyle "a long, long time ago," and never since.

Lo and behold, here was comeuppance for his braggadocio. (And it's also worth noting that Anderson's dunk happened shortly after Russell had the backbone to chastise Bryant for not stepping into the lane with proper help defense on a previous play.)

Still, the irony Bryant found isn't even the best part of the story.

The conversation about being dunked on arose after Bryant had mocked Randle for being dunked on by the Clippers' Lance Stephenson the week before. So in light of Anderson's dunk on Bryant, Randle suggested Bryant do as Randle did: Randle changed his identity by dying his hair lighter.

Bryant predictably scoffed at that, which is when Randle dropped the hammer punch line:

"Oh, that's right," Randle ribbed Bryant. "You can't grow hair anymore."

The mystery behind Randle's new hair revealed

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2615222-lakers-kids-helping-kobe-find-joy-in-the-little-things-amid-season-gone-wrong

anph comin thru with that fire! hahahaah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 527, 528, 529 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 528 of 1536
Jump to: