The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 589, 590, 591 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Here you go.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=175720&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Re: Minny, it's ok to say another team has better talent.

The reason why the Lakers will succeed is we have talent (though not currently better than the Wolves) AND free agency draws. Minny has not been able to do the latter.

Fair enough, good find.

Re: Minny, Certainly it's ok to say that if that's what you believe. I personally don't believe their young talent is better. Not even talking about FAs. Moreso DLO/JC/JR vs Towns/Lavine/Wiggins for me. But we've debated it enough in the past. It's time to let the play do the talking

KAT is a unicorn's unicorn. He will define the "center" position for a decade plus, and on a rookie deal. Dang.

You have to take into account all their other pieces. I'd love for example to have Dieng too.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Here you go.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=175720&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The reason why the Lakers will succeed is we have talent (though not currently better than the Wolves) AND free agency draws. Minny has not been able to do the latter.

Fair enough, good find.

Re: Minny, Certainly it's ok to say that if that's what you believe. I personally don't believe their young talent is better. Not even talking about FAs. Moreso DLO/JC/JR vs Towns/Lavine/Wiggins for me. But we've debated it enough in the past. It's time to let the play do the talking

KAT is a unicorn's unicorn. He will define the "center" position for a decade plus, and on a rookie deal. Dang.

You have to take into account all their other pieces. I'd love for example to have Dieng too.

I know how good KAT is, I was the conductor of his hype train when he was only ranked 7 on DX and everyone was firmly planted in the Okafor camp.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=170780

We'll see

I'll definitely lose this argument if Byron remains or we get Brooks, MJax, etc
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Here you go.

Fair enough, good find.

I know how good KAT is, I was the conductor of his hype train when he was only ranked 7 on DX and everyone was firmly planted in the Okafor camp.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=170780

We'll see

I'll definitely lose this argument if Byron remains or we get Brooks, MJax, etc

And arguably, the 2 greatest positions of scarcity in the NBA are good centers/SFs. Minny has that covered abundantly.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject:

We'll see yinomes! I know deep down you hope I'm right because that bodes well for our team

Back on topic: I hope Jules is working on game speed jumpers during his training this summer
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
We'll see yinomes! I know deep down you hope I'm right because that bodes well for our team

Back on topic: I hope Jules is working on game speed jumpers during his training this summer

Sorry to get off topic, but we unfortunately are somewhat "stocked" in the most abundant positions in the NBA (PG, SG, PF).
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:21 am    Post subject:

Julius Randle to dedicate entire off-season training, to becoming "Great"

The message seemed direct and simple. The feedback Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak and coachByron Scott provided to Julius Randle also captured the second-year forward’s current crossroads.

“It’s up to me on how good I want to be,” Randle said.

Randle already seemed good enough in the Lakers’ 2015-16 season en route toward leading his sophomore class with 34 double-doubles. He represented one of only nine NBA players to average such numbers both in points (11.3) and rebounds (10.2). Randle also set a wide mark between himself and his fellow sophomores in that category, including Philadelphia’s Nerlens Noel (16 double-doubles), Orlando’s Elfrid Payton (14), Orlandos’s Aaron Gordon (12) and Houston’s Clint Capela (10).

Yet, Randle insisted he wants to be “great.” Clearly, neither Randle nor the Lakers see a finished product that could entail pairing with rookie forward Larry Nance Jr. on the team’s frontcourt.

“I’ll come back better than I can imagine next year,” Randle said. “There’s a lot of areas in my game I can work on. I’ll leave it up to myself to get better in those areas this summer.”

“He had a great year, but I think he needs to work on learning how to play the game,” Lakers veteran forward Brandon Bass said of Randle. “I just think that him learning little details about the game, he’ll play much better. The game will be a lot easier for him.”

The Lakers also believe the game will become easier for Randle if he can perfect his playmaking.

“I’m trying so hard to win or make the right play,” Randle said. “It comes off as me being selfish. But I’m used to being the guy when things get rough. You do it yourself. We’ve all been in this position on the team. We have to play for each other, change our way of thinking and learn how to scheme together.”
First, a whole summer of training awaits.

Said Randle: “I’ll work my butt of day in and day out.”
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20160419/lakers-julius-randle-to-train-this-offseason-to-become-great

GREAT GREAT GREAT NEWS!
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:45 am    Post subject:

Man. Randle over Russell. He is the real leader, the heir apparent of Kobe's spirit.

Still cant believe Boston drafted Marcus Smart over him.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject:

Yong wrote:
Man. Randle over Russell. He is the real leader, the heir apparent of Kobe's spirit.

Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:06 am    Post subject:

Yong wrote:

I don't understand why so many fans keep saying this guy over the other.

They're both gonna be Lakers for a long time most likely. I don't see how anyone can confidently say one is better than the other. Both are still projects. It's great to hear Julius is planning on working hard this summer, but Jesus he's an NBA player. A lottery pick trying to find his way no less that should be expected.

D'Angelo will do the same.

I also don't see what makes Julius the real leader of D'Angelo. We don't have any real leader right now. They're all still too young to really lead. That will come with experience, bud acting like D'Angelo can't become this alpha male is ridiculous considering what we saw from him in March.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject:

Randle is really a beast. We are set at 4.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
Yong wrote:

They're both gonna be Lakers for a long time most likely. I don't see how anyone can confidently say one is better than the other. Both are still projects. It's great to hear Julius is planning on working hard this summer, but Jesus he's an NBA player. A lottery pick trying to find his way no less that should be expected.

I also don't see what makes Julius the real leader of D'Angelo. We don't have any real leader right now. They're all still too young to really lead. That will come with experience, bud acting like D'Angelo can't become this alpha male is ridiculous considering what we saw from him in March.

Yeah it's crazy since we have both players. Russel isn't as serious as Randle but he def has work ethic. You can tell by how his body has developed over the last two seasons more than anything.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject:

I disliked Randle's game when he was trying to be a Lebron-wannabe and play around on the perimeter all day long. Once he dedicated himself to being a rebounding beast, I was on board. I'm excited about seeing him develop a nice midrange game to go along with his rebounding and physical play.
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Here you go.

Fair enough, good find.

I don't see how our big 3 can hold up against theirs. Towns>DLO, Wiggins>Randle, LaVine=JC
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject:

I love Randle's attitude. I hope his hard work pays off.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject:

Cochese wrote:
I love Randle's attitude. I hope his hard work pays off.

The "hard work" will all be moot if he doesn't develop a reliable jumper. That's the only way the team adds another dimension to the offense, or else it will be 4 on 5 (or 3 on 5 if Hibbert is around). Investing in player development personnel should be a top priority for the Lakers this off-season. They could just steal everyone from Atlanta and call it an off-season.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
Yong wrote:

Yeah it's crazy since we have both players. Russel isn't as serious as Randle but he def has work ethic. You can tell by how his body has developed over the last two seasons more than anything.

Its the Kobe/shaq personality. Russell more smiling, hollywood lifestyle, media friendly, while Randle is just basketball and business no BS
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
Yong wrote:

Its the Kobe/shaq personality. Russell more smiling, hollywood lifestyle, media friendly, while Randle is just basketball and business no BS

Except Russell has a Kobe-esque work-ethic. He has no respect for people who don't work, and he sure as hell won't respect Randle if he doesn't have a work-ethic:

* "I started realizing a lot of people didn't work. A lot of God-given talent, a lot of athleticism separated 'em, but it wasn't really work ethic there."

* "I'm like, 'We're not in here every night?' I would come and be the only guy there. Or it'd be me and another player who didn't really play a lot but was a gym rat. Kam Williams. I always used to want him to play with me because he made shots. He loved the game...and he's killin' it this year."

* "[But] I noticed a lot of the top guys on the team, they weren't in the gym working as hard as I was. ... That's when I started losing respect for people's opinions who didn't work."

Unlike many other players, Randle has god-given talent and ability. He'll go as far as his work-ethic takes him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject:

Randle's work ethic is well known, he lives in the gym.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
Yong wrote:

Except Russell has a Kobe-esque work-ethic. He has no respect for people who don't work, and he sure as hell won't respect Randle if he doesn't have a work-ethic:

* "I started realizing a lot of people didn't work. A lot of God-given talent, a lot of athleticism separated 'em, but it wasn't really work ethic there."

* "I'm like, 'We're not in here every night?' I would come and be the only guy there. Or it'd be me and another player who didn't really play a lot but was a gym rat. Kam Williams. I always used to want him to play with me because he made shots. He loved the game...and he's killin' it this year."

* "[But] I noticed a lot of the top guys on the team, they weren't in the gym working as hard as I was. ... That's when I started losing respect for people's opinions who didn't work."

Unlike many other players, Randle has god-given talent and ability. He'll go as far as his work-ethic takes him.

Im talking personalities wise not work ethic. By all counts randle is just as hard maybe even harder worker than Russell. Dont know why you trying to bring randle down.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject:

1) Not trying to bring Randle down. I said before he would be a 20/10 guy but that was obviously an exaggeration. A jumper will make him a solid 17/10 player next season. That's what he has to nail for his "hard work" to be considered a success next season.

2) As far as Randle's work ethic, I haven't heard many stories of it. Does anyone have sources/links to verify it? If so, my respect for him will go up.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEi1uDmE6Cg/?taken-by=tdathletesedge&hl=en
My wishlist for Julius coming into next season:

1) A new jumpshot; Shot 26% from 10-14 ft, 33% from 15-19 ft, 32.4% from 20-24 ft, and 31.5% from 24-28 ft. Reworking his jumpshot and getting reps is the key to success for him
2) Mikan drills; Shot 55.3% from < 5 ft and 57% off cuts. Working with the assistants by absorbing contact while going up with his left and right hand will improve his ability to finish at the basket.
3) Screening and rolling to the rim; Finished the year in the 10th percentile among rollers to the basket. He showed development in terms of screening the ball, rather than slipping, but now he needs to screen hard and roll. That can be done by continuous practicing with teammates (D'Angelo and JC) along with the assistant coaches
4) Reading the defense; We're all enamored whenever Julius takes the rebound and goes coast to coast, but there's improvements to be made in that area. He had a 17.9% turnover rate in transition this year. Cutting down the amount of offensive fouls through reading the defense by either passing it out, pulling it out, or changing direction will improve his game. He showed development toward his passing toward the end of the season, keep on improving in that area. Improving his handle will also help his ability to read the defense.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
1) Not trying to bring Randle down. I said before he would be a 20/10 guy but that was obviously an exaggeration. A jumper will make him a solid 17/10 player next season. That's what he has to nail for his "hard work" to be considered a success next season.

2) As far as Randle's work ethic, I haven't heard many stories of it. Does anyone have sources/links to verify it? If so, my respect for him will go up.

I said this in an earlier post here, and it's not much to go by, but it's something. Earlier this season, in a pre-season game against the Warriors in San Diego, I was watching the Lakers warm up. Everyone was playing around, joking, trying to stay relaxed, except Randle. He was serious and working on his game. Especially his short jumpers. The rest of the team was playing around, pretending to block each other, some where just laughing and standing around. Metta was also serious, but just seriously stretching. I know it doesn't mean much in shoot arounds but it told me that Randle was serious and he wanted to prove something.
He'll get that jumper and 3 point shot going soon enough. He could be a pretty good player for us someday.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:

1) A new jumpshot; Shot 26% from 10-14 ft, 33% from 15-19 ft, 32.4% from 20-24 ft, and 31.5% from 24-28 ft. Reworking his jumpshot and getting reps is the key to success for him
2) Mikan drills; Shot 55.3% from < 5 ft and 57% off cuts. Working with the assistants by absorbing contact while going up with his left and right hand will improve his ability to finish at the basket.
3) Screening and rolling to the rim; Finished the year in the 10th percentile among rollers to the basket. He showed development in terms of screening the ball, rather than slipping, but now he needs to screen hard and roll. That can be done by continuous practicing with teammates (D'Angelo and JC) along with the assistant coaches
4) Reading the defense; We're all enamored whenever Julius takes the rebound and goes coast to coast, but there's improvements to be made in that area. He had a 17.9% turnover rate in transition this year. Cutting down the amount of offensive fouls through reading the defense by either passing it out, pulling it out, or changing direction will improve his game. He showed development toward his passing toward the end of the season, keep on improving in that area. Improving his handle will also help his ability to read the defense.

Would also like him to watch lots and lots of tape and start learning to read opposing offenses better. He's going to need to be a smart defender if he's to be a good defensive player; with his average length, he can't just rely on measurables the way someone like Porzingis can.

This is where working with Dray would be great, although idk if it's the kind of thing that they would be focusing on
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Would also like him to watch lots and lots of tape and start learning to read opposing offenses better. He's going to need to be a smart defender if he's to be a good defensive player; with his average length, he can't just rely on measurables the way someone like Porzingis can.

This is where working with Dray would be great, although idk if it's the kind of thing that they would be focusing on

Yeah, he's demonstrated an ability to pick up guards on switches, similar to Draymond, but his awareness off the ball can improve, just as any rookie can. Hopefully him, JC, and D'Angelo continue to work with each other to establish continuity on the court as well.
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
Yong wrote:

No. D'Angelo does not have Kobe's level of work ethic. Emplay already said the team had an issue with DLO's work ethic, late in the season, Byron basically confirmed it. It's not that he has a bad work ethic, but Byron and the org are expecting more hunger from him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 589, 590, 591 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 590 of 1536
Jump to: