The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 646, 647, 648 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vic5150
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
defense wrote:
I never understood why NBA players would want to play in a crappy competition like the drew league. There has to be countless other ways to get conditioning and skill development.

I had no doubts that your post would generate responses. There's some of us on the board that will defend it because it's not a crappy league. Its a neighborhood institution that our community needs. It's an outlet for both players and fans alike.

The people that run it are long time community minded residents. The appeal is to get a little ball in, entertain a demographic of people who need every resource we're seeking to provide for them, and this is the part I'd really like to help you grasp (not trying to be an ass) it keeps a lot of the community focused on a positive experience right where it's desperately needed.

It's more than basketball LG!

Well said.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
The Drew league is a "fun & entertaining league." There are some very good players and the competition is real but it's also every man for himself; it's definitely a showcase of individual talent and skills.

Harden, Swaggy, Crawford are all scorers so they will naturally be successful in this environment.

Good, competitive, in your face basketball.

It's Rucker Park inside of a gym.

I am surprised that NBA contracts don't ban playing in exhibitions like that.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Vic5150 wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
defense wrote:
I never understood why NBA players would want to play in a crappy competition like the drew league. There has to be countless other ways to get conditioning and skill development.

I had no doubts that your post would generate responses. There's some of us on the board that will defend it because it's not a crappy league. Its a neighborhood institution that our community needs. It's an outlet for both players and fans alike.

The people that run it are long time community minded residents. The appeal is to get a little ball in, entertain a demographic of people who need every resource we're seeking to provide for them, and this is the part I'd really like to help you grasp (not trying to be an ass) it keeps a lot of the community focused on a positive experience right where it's desperately needed.

Well said.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Vic5150 wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
defense wrote:

Well said.
Indeed .
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
Vic5150 wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
defense wrote:

Well said.
Indeed .

I see the Drew League, it's presence and it's impact, from the inside out having lived in the center of the "revolt" or a"riots" in the 60's, and having been within eyesight of burning buildings in 92.

Without the presence of these positive contributors, the seeds of revolt deepen. I'm working to plant different seeds, and my boy DS over there, is a neighborhood icon doing the same thing. Appreciate it ya'll.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
Vic5150 wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
defense wrote:

Well said.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
pio2u wrote:
The Drew league is a "fun & entertaining league." There are some very good players and the competition is real but it's also every man for himself; it's definitely a showcase of individual talent and skills.

Harden, Swaggy, Crawford are all scorers so they will naturally be successful in this environment.

I think Michael Jordan was the one who changed this, with his "For the love of the game" clause in his contract
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject:

Julius Randle Can do all things

Interesting breakdown
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pio2u wrote:

I think Michael Jordan was the one who changed this, with his "For the love of the game" clause in his contract

And considering the amount of leverage a big time free agent has...yeah, good freaking gd luck getting a guy to sign a contract that says he can't play in that. Kobe said it best when asked about the Olympics. Paraphrasing what he said but it was to the effect of "guys will play regardless of whatever the (bleep) you put out there. At least playing in the Olympics there are medical professionals and coaches etc". Obviously paraphrasing but the point is still the same.

Monta forever changed his career trajectory with a stupid scooter accident and GSW still took him back despite the lies he spewed.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject:

with the glut of PFs we have, Randle better show that he is indeed better than Nance, Deng and Yi at the 4 if he wants to keep that starting job
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
with the glut of PFs we have, Randle better show that he is indeed better than Nance, Deng and Yi at the 4 if he wants to keep that starting job

Exactly, I don't see his starting spot guaranteed at all. I think Nance and Deng are better basketball players currently than Jules is right now. It doesn't help that Randle is a terrible fit alongside Russell/Ingram so I wouldn't be surprised if Nance keeps forcing the Lakers coaching staff to make a move like he did last season.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
governator wrote:

Exactly, I don't see his starting spot guaranteed at all. I think Nance and Deng are better basketball players currently than Jules is right now. It doesn't help that Randle is a terrible fit alongside Russell/Ingram so I wouldn't be surprised if Nance keeps forcing the Lakers coaching staff to make a move like he did last season.

Deng will be playing SF, I can see Yi getting minutes with Randle and/or Nance. Interesting how Laker fans underrate their own players.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Interesting breakdown

I'm so confused. Should I be happy or sad?
That soundtrack he's using... man. It's like suicide watch music.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
governator wrote:

Deng will be playing SF, I can see Yi getting minutes with Randle and/or Nance. Interesting how Laker fans underrate their own players.

Some of us are objective and don't see every one of our players as All Star talents.

Russell and Ingram are going to be stars, Randle doesn't project to be one. I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone by the deadline.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
governator wrote:

Some of us are objective and don't see every one of our players as All Star talents.

Russell and Ingram are going to be stars, Randle doesn't project to be one. I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone by the deadline.

Amazing that you can project a player's career arc after one season.

How many teams do you offer this service to? You must make a fortune.
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject:

I see Randle starting, but wouldn't be surprised if his minutes are evenly split with Nance.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
governator wrote:

Amazing that you can project a player's career arc after one season.

How many teams do you offer this service to? You must make a fortune.

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Interesting breakdown

he painted everything in a positive light. basically just commenting on highlights.. "jumper form isn't bad" "good touch, bad shot maybe, but he can make it" , "really good at drawing fouls". na.
some solid observations, but pretty much just a video to make Randle fan boys sleep soooo well at night.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Randle has fanboys?

Ingram, Nance and Zubac I could see. But I don't see anyone blindly loving everything about Randle or massively overrating him. If anything I think he gets underrated tbh.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Randle has fanboys?

Ingram, Nance and Zubac I could see. But I don't see anyone blindly loving everything about Randle or massively overrating him. If anything I think he gets underrated tbh.

I'm speaking completely on non forum/LG fans. Like comments i see on twitter. there's a lot of "Randle is the best young Laker" "Randle is going to be a top 5 PF"
I think those are the level of fans that this video best suits. LG is too knowledgeable - even the biggest Randle fans here know that he should stop shooting those flip shots, his form was HORRID last year, and he doesn't draw that many fouls.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Randle has fanboys?

He's gonna be good, we don't just know how good Randle is gonna be.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
MJST wrote:
Randle has fanboys?

I'm speaking completely on non forum/LG fans. Like comments i see on twitter. there's a lot of "Randle is the best Laker idc" "Randle is going to be a top 5 PF"
I think those are the level of fans that this video best suits. LG is too knowledgeable - even the biggest Randle fans here know that he should stop shooting those flip shots, his form was HORRID last year, and he doesn't draw that many fouls.

True and agreed.

Though Randle and Nance both shot terrible last year. But the guy you only hear about mainly is Randle.

Has to do imo NOW with that Nance played in Summer League and showed an improved stroke. Randle could have benefited from the same, though I think the microscope is much much bigger on him, for obvious reason.

But stuff like the Team USA situation.

Day 1) hey! Randle is showing improvement in his form and jump shot

Day 2) It's obvious Randle hasn't worked on his jump shot at all. Bust.

Day 3) Hey Randle's been working on his step back jumpers a bit, BEAST!

Day 4) Randle will never change or get a jump shot, we should just trade him now for whoever.

Stuff like that irks me tbh. Particularly if we aren't treating all of our other young talent from the same critical eye. Unless they have some unfathomable hate on them (Such as some do with Russell) and judge them critically such as that.

So imo the only thing that will help Randle at this point is time, patience and also showing improvement.

Though part of me feels like until/unless Randle became the best player on our team and it's leader, it will be a steady diet from fans of if he has 3 solid games where his jumper looks improved he'll get credit, but if the 4th game he shoots 2/13 it will be a "see this is who he REALLY IS!" people from the crowd to jump out bring the 'trades' out again and saying he'll never develop/change a jump shot.

I do find it humorous that the same people that hate on Julius for being one dimensional and saying he'll never change at the tender age of 20 were some of the same people championing for Faried as our starting 4 in that trade scenario that came from a bad site weeks ago

But that's a separate rant altogether

As far as THIS subject goes and what you've said, I agree
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Love Jules' potential, but dude has a ton of deeply-ingrained bad habits he needs to address.
It's going to take more than one or two summers to un-learn what he has learned.

But I'm so intrigued what this new offense and what Luke and the new staff can do with him to get him to simplify his game.

I'm sure it won't be very pretty at times, but it's gonna be a fun ride.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Though Randle and Nance both shot terrible last year. But the guy you only hear about mainly is Randle.

Wait, what?

One guy shot 53%, the other guy shot 43%... yup, a wash!

Last edited by greenfrog on Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
MJST wrote:
Randle has fanboys?

I'm speaking completely on non forum/LG fans. Like comments i see on twitter. there's a lot of "Randle is the best Laker idc" "Randle is going to be a top 5 PF"

True and agreed.

Has to do imo NOW with that Nance played in Summer League and showed an improved stroke. Randle could have benefited from the same, though I think the microscope is much much bigger on him, for obvious reason.

But stuff like the Team USA situation.

Day 1) hey! Randle is showing improvement in his form and jump shot

Day 2) It's obvious Randle hasn't worked on his jump shot at all. Bust.

Day 3) Hey Randle's been working on his step back jumpers a bit, BEAST!

Day 4) Randle will never change or get a jump shot, we should just trade him now for whoever.

Stuff like that irks me tbh. Particularly if we aren't treating all of our other young talent from the same critical eye. Unless they have some unfathomable hate on them (Such as some do with Russell) and judge them critically such as that.

So imo the only thing that will help Randle at this point is time, patience and also showing improvement.

Though part of me feels like until/unless Randle became the best player on our team and it's leader, it will be a steady diet from fans of if he has 3 solid games where his jumper looks improved he'll get credit, but if the 4th game he shoots 2/13 it will be a "see this is who he REALLY IS!" people from the crowd to jump out bring the 'trades' out again and saying he'll never develop/change a jump shot.

I do find it humorous that the same people that hate on Julius for being one dimensional and saying he'll never change at the tender age of 20 were some of the same people championing for Faried as our starting 4 in that trade scenario that came from a bad site weeks ago

But that's a separate rant altogether

As far as THIS subject goes and what you've said, I agree

yea the phycology behind how fans regard Julius is really intriguing to me . It's really as nuanced as it can get.
We all see special skills , but then he forces us to watch bonehead play after bonehead play - idk how to react to it myself.
He was a high pick, who'm most of us were really excited to nab. Which breeds resentment if he doesn't play up to par. Playing selfish and boneheaded also breeds resentment.
We're all mixed up in the feels. I'm actually confident that Julius in this offense, with Luke as a teacher -- will put him on a 'team ball' path that fans will take to. I think he'll pass the ball really well, and only be one skillset away from absolving himself of 'hate' being thrown his way. Whether it be shooting, or defense - add one of those to a top notch point forward passer, and you have a very beneficial player - who'm we'd all be happy to have.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 646, 647, 648 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 647 of 1536
Jump to: