The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 647, 648, 649 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
MJST wrote:
Randle has fanboys?

Ingram, Nance and Zubac I could see. But I don't see anyone blindly loving everything about Randle or massively overrating him. If anything I think he gets underrated tbh.

I'm speaking completely on non forum/LG fans. Like comments i see on twitter. there's a lot of "Randle is the best Laker idc" "Randle is going to be a top 5 PF"
I think those are the level of fans that this video best suits. LG is too knowledgeable - even the biggest Randle fans here know that he should stop shooting those flip shots, his form was HORRID last year, and he doesn't draw that many fouls.

True and agreed.

Though Randle and Nance both shot terrible last year. But the guy you only hear about mainly is Randle.

Has to do imo NOW with that Nance played in Summer League and showed an improved stroke. Randle could have benefited from the same, though I think the microscope is much much bigger on him, for obvious reason.

But stuff like the Team USA situation.

Day 1) hey! Randle is showing improvement in his form and jump shot

Day 2) It's obvious Randle hasn't worked on his jump shot at all. Bust.

Day 3) Hey Randle's been working on his step back jumpers a bit, BEAST!

Day 4) Randle will never change or get a jump shot, we should just trade him now for whoever.

Stuff like that irks me tbh. Particularly if we aren't treating all of our other young talent from the same critical eye. Unless they have some unfathomable hate on them (Such as some do with Russell) and judge them critically such as that.

So imo the only thing that will help Randle at this point is time, patience and also showing improvement.

Though part of me feels like until/unless Randle became the best player on our team and it's leader, it will be a steady diet from fans of if he has 3 solid games where his jumper looks improved he'll get credit, but if the 4th game he shoots 2/13 it will be a "see this is who he REALLY IS!" people from the crowd to jump out bring the 'trades' out again and saying he'll never develop/change a jump shot.

I do find it humorous that the same people that hate on Julius for being one dimensional and saying he'll never change at the tender age of 20 were some of the same people championing for Faried as our starting 4 in that trade scenario that came from a bad site weeks ago

But that's a separate rant altogether

As far as THIS subject goes and what you've said, I agree

10% difference in shooting percentage is a big gap. I don't know how that qualifies as both guys shot terrible unless you place less value on certain types of baskets. Nance did everything better than Randle last season (arguable) with the exception of rebounding while hurt and with less minutes. Why would people have the same opinion of him as Randle?
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject:

to be fair to Julius. He wasn't able to fully workout before the start of last season. Remember they were watching his minutes at the start, to make sure his leg had fully healed? Secondly, he wasn't being coached. He didn't know how to set a damn pick until it seemed like the allstar break. If Byron or one of his flunky staff guys had watched one minute of film after a game, they would have pointed this out to Julius but instead they went with, "figure it out" as a coaching method. Hell, Luke might fix things like this DURING THE GAME next season.

Also, Julius' shot. You hear about Kent Bazemore going to Atlanta and they worked on his shot during the offseason, leading into the season. Under Byron? In late November... they announced Julius would work on his shot - DURING THE UPCOMING OFFSEASON... just... astounding...
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject:

PG.D'angelo 16 / Clarkson 32
SG.Ingram 16 / D'Angelo 16
SF.Deng 32 / Ingram 16
PF.Randle 16 / Nance 28
C.Mozgov 24 / Randle 16 Black
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject:

PF spot is going to be quite the battle between Randle, Nance, Yi, and maybe Deng playing some PF.

It could be that Yi is simply Ryan Kelly's replacement, but Randle might have something to worry about, if every other PF on the Lakers shoots better than he does.

I love Randle's rebounding, ball handling, and he has shown a good attitude;
As deep as the league is at PF and being under Scott's system, I thought his defense was okay. But if he can't shoot outside the paint, then he is a semi-bust as a lottery pick. Not saying he won't play 10 years in the league, but no outside shot and he becomes a ham and egger, basically a Derek Fisher level kind of player for a big man.

Let's see how this turns out, I hope he is really working on his outside shot this off-season.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject:

this year randles gonna make a lot of haters look dumb.
lakerhaterhater
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:

Or a lot of supporters bite their tongues. That PF spot is very much up for grabs
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject:

lakerhaterhater wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

Or a lot of supporters bite their tongues. That PF spot is very much up for grabs

Good thing is it's not a make or break year (imo). He's only going to be a sophomore on-court. Who's to say he doesn't have a 'blah' year(better than last year), and then make a leap in his 3rd year. I'm willing to give him that shot.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
lakerhaterhater wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

Good thing is it's not a make or break year (imo). He's only going to be a sophomore on-court. Who's to say he doesn't have a 'blah' year(better than last year), and then make a leap in his 3rd year. I'm willing to give him that shot.

I've always thought every young guy that shows some potential should get a minimum of 3 years to show improvement so I agree.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject:

Screen setting. That's the unsexy thing Randle has to improve on this upcoming season.
I know he loves to score and create with the ball in his hands. But setting good screens on and off ball will make his life easier. He'll actually become a more efficient scorer because of it.
But I understand if that comes off as counter-intuitive to him. He's still young.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
PF spot is going to be quite the battle between Randle, Nance, Yi, and maybe Deng playing some PF.

It could be that Yi is simply Ryan Kelly's replacement, but Randle might have something to worry about, if every other PF on the Lakers shoots better than he does.

I love Randle's rebounding, ball handling, and he has shown a good attitude;
As deep as the league is at PF and being under Scott's system, I thought his defense was okay. But if he can't shoot outside the paint, then he is a semi-bust as a lottery pick. Not saying he won't play 10 years in the league, but no outside shot and he becomes a ham and egger, basically a Derek Fisher level kind of player for a big man.

Let's see how this turns out, I hope he is really working on his outside shot this off-season.

I don't really enjoy watching Randle handle the ball since he's a poor finisher. I wish he used his handles to set up his teammates more often like Lamar. He eats up way too much shotclock when he puts the ball down. I don't mind him going coast to coast if he catches the defense sleeping, but that's it. Unless he adjusts his style to incorporate more playmaking than he should keep his dribbles to a minimum.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Nance did everything better than Randle last season (arguable) with the exception of rebounding while hurt and with less minutes.

That's a bit one sided. Even when healthy, and with the same number of minutes Nance wasn't near the rebounder Randle was. Nor was he as adept as rebounding and pushing, handling the ball, playmaking, getting to the basket, creating his own shot, or three point shooting. Nance was a better team defender (though not really a shot blocker), better from mid-range, and more efficient overall, not to take anything from him. It will be interesting to see how both guys have improved this summer, but they have very different games.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
defense wrote:
Nance did everything better than Randle last season (arguable) with the exception of rebounding while hurt and with less minutes.

That's a bit one sided. Even when healthy, and with the same number of minutes Nance wasn't near the rebounder Randle was. Nor was he as adept as rebounding and pushing, handling the ball, playmaking, getting to the basket, creating his own shot, or three point shooting. Nance was a better team defender (though not really a shot blocker), better from mid-range, and more efficient overall, not to take anything from him. It will be interesting to see how both guys have improved this summer, but they have very different games.

Yup. But we tend to generalize things and post in hyperbole sometimes.

I believe Randle was also a better free throw shooter.

Look folks we have two up and coming PFs who look like they'll be able to play at a high level. I'm super excited about that!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
defense wrote:

He also had a lot less responsibility and was essentially played like he was, a role player. Randle was played to lead a team.

If you took Nance and put him in that same scenario, gave him as many isos and told him to lead the team, he'd probably look a lot worse than Randle.

Nance's primary instruction was, pop or roll off screens, and rebound.

Randle's was pop or roll off screens, rebound, initiate the offense, isolate, run the team when the opportunity presents itself.

I don't think Nance would look quite as good if he was given the same responsibilities of Randle and thrown the ball and told 'make something happen' more often than not.

But that is why Nance is a role player and was played like a role player.

However I think Randle's role next year, will be much more balanced and straight forward. It will be less *gets thrown the ball* "make something happen." and more strategy. Which is, coincidentally enough, what Nance got last year because he was a role player.

So we'll just see how it all winds together.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
defense wrote:

I believe Randle's ability to drive, create and push are over blown mainly because he's often out of control. I most certainly see the potential but its just no where near reliable yet so I wouldn't list those as positives from last season. Randle was a better free throw shooter 71 to 68. Their 3 point shots were negligible as neither shot enough to judge them on that. I was generalizing a bit and one can focus on semantics or what my point was, which is I believe from what I saw last season that Nance currently is the better fit and better player.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
defense wrote:

He also had a lot less responsibility and was essentially played like he was, a role player. Randle was played to lead a team.

If you took Nance and put him in that same scenario, gave him as many isos and told him to lead the team, he'd probably look a lot worse than Randle.

Randle's was pop or roll off screens, rebound, initiate the offense, isolate, run the team when the opportunity presents itself.

I don't think Nance would look quite as good if he was given the same responsibilities of Randle and thrown the ball and told 'make something happen' more often than not.

However I think Randle's role next year, will be much more balanced and straight forward. It will be less *gets thrown the ball* "make something happen." and more strategy. Which is, coincidentally enough, what Nance got last year because he was a role player.

Exactly. Context matters
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject:

[quote="MJST"]
J.C. Smith wrote:
defense wrote:

So we'll just see how it all winds together.[/quote
Not sure Luke will want many ISO ball plays from our PF position this year.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject:

The offense will be much more multi-pass like GS runs, and less of our Kobe-era iso ball, that Randle was sometimes asked to do.

Randle I think will still occasionally get the bust out coast to coast drives, but this next year our big-men will be asked to pick and pop or screen and roll to the basket.

What Randle is going to be asked to do is continue rebounding and work on becoming more of a shutdown defensive player. he is not a shot blocker, but I think with his quickness, he should be able to deny drives when matched up with a PF or even SF. If he can shoot midrange, hit his free throws and finish at the rim, he will be judged to be a success.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject:

Just read through the last 3 pages of this thread. Dang. LG is down on Randle.

Here's a thought that could lift some people's moods.
After playing 83 games, at age 21, he's the best PF in the league at dribble penetration.
He's a flawed player. And I fully understand his weaknesses.
But over his career, he'll be able to go wherever he wants on the floor with the ball in his hands. That's a nice core strength to have. Alot of big-man players would love to be elite at that aspect of the game
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
governator wrote:
with the glut of PFs we have, Randle better show that he is indeed better than Nance, Deng and Yi at the 4 if he wants to keep that starting job

Exactly, I don't see his starting spot guaranteed at all. I think Nance and Deng are better basketball players currently than Jules is right now. It doesn't help that Randle is a terrible fit alongside Russell/Ingram so I wouldn't be surprised if Nance keeps forcing the Lakers coaching staff to make a move like he did last season.

Deng will be playing SF, I can see Yi getting minutes with Randle and/or Nance. Interesting how Laker fans underrate their own players.

Some of us are objective and don't see every one of our players as All Star talents.

Russell and Ingram are going to be stars, Randle doesn't project to be one. I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone by the deadline.

Amazing that you can project a player's career arc after one season.

How many teams do you offer this service to? You must make a fortune.

You can tell with players like Russell, Porz, Booker, etc. that they all multiple All Star selections barring injury on their horizons. They've showed enough promise offensively to think that all their games mature in the coming years they'll adjust their flaws and play to their strengths. They all have the IQ, shooting ability, length, size and overall obvious talent to succeed in this league. Randle, to me hasn't shown that.

Julius Randle's NBA future depends on his being able to develop a consistent shot from 10-22 feet. If he continues to shot below 35% from 10-16 feet (he actually shot .227% from that range which is beyond awful) and below 35% from 16-22 feet (he actually shot an awful .254% which is nearly as awful as he was from 10-16 feet). He can score at the rim (though he still needs to improve there too .568% is alright) but ideally especially with how inefficient he is elsewhere you'd want him to get up to .630 or better.

Really the only thing that is currently in Randle's favor as an NBA prospect so far is that he can really rebound the basketball and is a good ball handler for a PF. The only thing that bodes well for his future to shoot better from mid-range is that he is a solid free throw shooter. I also don't think that Randle is looking like he has much of an upside as a defender either.

I don't want to come off as a hater but personally I don't think Randle has much of a future at least not with the Lakers. He was already going to have his hands full keeping his job over Nance to begin with but now with Deng on the roster and with them certainly not going to interfere with the superior prospect in Ingram's development with Deng at SF very often and with Deng's best actual position being at PF anyway I'm of the opinion that Randle is likely gone by the trade deadline unless he breaks out early this season and starts putting up 18 and 11. Even if he does do that I still think the Lakers will trade him only they'll actually be able to get something good in return.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject:

[quote="yinoma2001"]
MJST wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
defense wrote:

So we'll just see how it all winds together.[/quote

But with Russell and Ingram are our obvious cornerstones, do we really want a player like Randle to "lead the team?" Shouldn't we want someone like Nance who doesn't need to have any plays drawn to him to be effective? Shouldn't we try to pair Ingram/Russell with a team-first defender at the four spot? Maybe Nance wasn't put at the position Randle was last year because his skillset and personality doesn't allow him to be at his best efficiency playing like that? I think a player like Nance is a better fit alongside Russell/Ingram than someone like Randle.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
defense wrote:

And I think that helps Randle tremendously tbh.

it seems all Luke raelly wants from the 4 in terms of iso stuff, is if they get the rebound to run it down court, see if they can make a fast break play, if not they pass it off to the guard, this entire process takes about 3-4 seconds of the shot clock.

After that their role is as a play finisher, or setting screens and back screens.

It makes the responsibility much more even and allows them more freedom to not just move within the offense but getting easier offensive opportunities off it.

It's a role I think Randle should excel in.

He likely won't be thrown the ball at 15 seconds and told "make something happen" UNLESS it's a set play, as in they clear the side for him to have a post up opportunity he can survey and dish to a diver or finding Mozgov or such open for a jumper as the defense rotates off ball from what we're doing.

Those kind of scenarios in addition to his rebounding will help a LOT in terms of giving his game an identity. IF he adds the mid range off pick and roll to that game, it will just open up even more.

What Randle's game needs, is actual structure around it, because he strikes as the kind of player that will run through the wall if you give him a specific job to do he will go out and do it.

I think Luke will give him that this year, Byron didn't last year. He wanted them to 'figure it out on their own'. But Randle is someone capable of doing a lot, if you say "do whatever" that's the result you're going to get.

Despite this he put up 12/11 last year with 2 assists a game.

So THIS year under much better circumstances and structure we may see something like 16/12/4 or 16/11/3 which wouldn't be a bad 2nd year at all. It would be a step in the right direction.

Last edited by MJST on Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Screen setting. That's the unsexy thing Randle has to improve on this upcoming season.
I know he loves to score and create with the ball in his hands. But setting good screens on and off ball will make his life easier. He'll actually become a more efficient scorer because of it.
But I understand if that comes off as counter-intuitive to him. He's still young.

I agree.

If he could just learn to set solid, legal screens and then really work on rolling to the basket...it would greatly help the team and open up things for him as well.

The other thing he has to do is learn to slow down on offense when he receives the ball. He could stand to watch video of guys like Jordan or Kobe and how they get the ball, read the defense, then react to what the defense is doing. Julius just gets it and goes no matter what the defense is doing....he has to learn to slow down that half beat and read the defense.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I agree.

If he could just learn to set solid, legal screens and then really work on rolling to the basket...it would greatly help the team and open up things for him as well.

The other thing he has to do is learn to slow down on offense when he receives the ball. He could stand to watch video of guys like Jordan or Kobe and how they get the ball, read the defense, then react to what the defense is doing. Julius just gets it and goes no matter what the defense is doing....he has to learn to slow down that half beat and read the defense.

If he adds pump fakes and spins to his drives, Jules can get on the line a ton
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I agree.

If he adds pump fakes and spins to his drives, Jules can get on the line a ton

71% FT shooter overall last year, with definite improvement in the second half.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Just read through the last 3 pages of this thread. Dang. LG is down on Randle.

Here's a thought that could lift some people's moods.
After playing 83 games, at age 21, he's the best PF in the league at dribble penetration.
He's a flawed player. And I fully understand his weaknesses.
But over his career, he'll be able to go wherever he wants on the floor with the ball in his hands. That's a nice core strength to have. Alot of big-man players would love to be elite at that aspect of the game

bold is fact. fact.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 647, 648, 649 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 648 of 1536
Jump to: