The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 805, 806, 807 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject:

TS%

Pre-Russell Injury....59.3%
Post-Russell Injury...43.1%
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject:

^For me there's too many factors to definitively say he's struggling because D'Lo is out. He's dealing with his own injury at the moment and missing a couple other teammates in a tough stretch of the schedule. There's more attention on him and less outlets to relive him.

lakersfan8 wrote:
His best role is a facilitator not a go-to-guy scorer. This is what happens if we don't have enough scorer on the lineup. However, I have to mention something positive in this game. His first two jumpers looked very smooth.

Silky smooth. He did the same thing against I think it was the Pelicans. Hit back to back mid range jumpers then kinda nutted up and threw up a broke attempt from 3. His mechanics are wet, it's clear he's been putting up thousands of reps, it's just a matter of thinking like a shooter. I think he still has another level he can reach as a scorer. If you squint really hard when you watch him, at times it's almost like you're watching...uhhh nevermind. He's shown flashes but time will tell just how much he improves.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
^For me there's too many factors to definitively say he's struggling because D'Lo is out. He's dealing with his own injury at the moment and missing a couple other teammates in a tough stretch of the schedule. There's more attention on him and less outlets to relive him.

Yeah I agree. It's more than just Russell out. It's Russell out, Young out, lack of spacing and him dealing with his own injury too. He's also missing stuff at the rim that he was making earlier this season.

But Russell missing is definately a part of it.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject:

He hasn't been the same since his hip injury. He's playing like preseason Randle right now. Needs to slow it down and rely more on his teammates to get him better shots.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
TS%

Even before the injury his numbers without Russell on the floor are bad. Shooting-wise worse in fact.

http://nbawowy.com/juio9ybbe3ln19r4q9b9sh5mi#/58g0ckxco0a0djcw9lj52n8kt9

There's definitely a connection.

Last edited by greenfrog on Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
MJST wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:
KB8SD wrote:
Randle will NEVER be a star with the Lakers or any team in the league. After this season it's seriously time for Mitch to see what value he has left and get the best trade for him.

DLO and Ingram are going to be our stars. Julius just needs to develop into a Draymond lite on the offensive end. At 22 he's proven enough to not be traded.

Draymond's main asset is his elite defense. Randle is one of the worst defenders in the entire league.

Draymond can shoot. Randle cannot.

Draymond can handle the ball at an elite level. Randle cannot.

Draymond is able to make smart plays. Randle cannot.

This is like saying Kwame Brown just needs to turn into Tyson Chandler.

You don't watch much Julius Randle do you.

Great. Reply with condescension instead of addressing any of my points.

Ok, most of your points are wrong.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject:

I'm shocked, shocked I say, that people who haven't been in this thread for over a month suddenly showed up when Randle had a bad game.

certain people and arguments aren't even worth engaging in this thread because as soon as Randle starts playing well again those people and arguments will disappear. Then as soon as Randle struggles a bit again they'll pop back up with "He'll never be a star" and "Trade him".

It's the circle hatin'.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject:

His offense is in a funk right now, probably due in large part to Russell and Young being out. I don't think he was unclutch last night. It's actually pretty clutch for him to have the guts to take that three and draw the foul. His defensive effort though seems to have decreased since he's returned from the injury.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
TS%

sounds about right.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
I'm shocked, shocked I say, that people who haven't been in this thread for over a month suddenly showed up when Randle had a bad game.

certain people and arguments aren't even worth engaging in this thread because as soon as Randle starts playing well again those people and arguments will disappear. Then as soon as Randle struggles a bit again they'll pop back up with "He'll never be a star" and "Trade him".

It's the circle hatin'.

No you're not, it was expected. Some just can't stand our young Laker players developing for whatever reason.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
TS%

How much of that is the downgrade in the units Randle most frequently runs with and how much is teams having better scouted Randle and the Lakers in their new system?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
TS%

Even before the injury his numbers without Russell on the floor are bad. Shooting-wise worse in fact.

It's a fairly simple one, IMO, associated with both the pick & roll and transition.The difference between Russell and Calderon is that when Russell comes off of the PnR, one of two things happen:

1) Russell draws the attention of a second defender (hard hedge/trap), & Randle (who slips almost every single screen) will then get the ball out of the short roll, and in an advantageous 4-on-3 scenario. The only other player on the Lakers who sees hard hedges/traps on a consistent basis is Lou.

2) The defense soft hedges on Russell, and Russell delivers a pocket pass to the rolling big, which has again created an advantageous 4-on-3 scenario. Have you noticed the drastic reduction in how many pocket passes we're completing to the rolling big?

Then in transition, Randle misses having Nick Young as a spot up shooter, and Russell to a lesser extent. Between the difference in the PnR game & the loss of his transition targets, I'd imagine that his A:TO ratio is significantly worse along with his severely reduced TS%.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
TS%

It's a fairly simple one, IMO, associated with both the pick & roll and transition.The difference between Russell and Calderon is that when Russell comes off of the PnR, one of two things happen:

1) Russell draws the attention of a second defender (hard hedge/trap), & Randle (who slips almost every single screen) will then get the ball out of the short roll, and in an advantageous 4-on-3 scenario. The only other player on the Lakers who sees hard hedges/traps on a consistent basis is Lou.

2) The defense soft hedges on Russell, and Russell delivers a pocket pass to the rolling big, which has again created an advantageous 4-on-3 scenario. Have you noticed the drastic reduction in how many pocket passes we're completing to the rolling big?

Then in transition, Randle misses having Nick Young as a spot up shooter, and Russell to a lesser extent. Between the difference in the PnR game & the loss of his transition targets, I'd imagine that his A:TO ratio is significantly worse along with his severely reduced TS%.

The last one is the one that's most apparent to me. Those kickbacks (I was calling them handoffs in my head until I learned that term from you) is his transition bread and butter. I would venture that he gets about 2 or 3 assists a game off that play alone.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
The last one is the one that's most apparent to me. Those kickbacks (I was calling them handoffs in my head until I learned that term from you) is his transition bread and butter. I would venture that he gets about 2 or 3 assists a game off that play alone.

FYI, "kickback" is a term from Vance Walberg's Dribble Drive Motion Offense, describing that sort of action when it's a pass rather than an actual handoff. The Lakers and other teams could very well have a different term for it, I just use Walberg's because that's where I learned it.

There are a lot of actions in basketball that have like 5 different names to describe the exact same thing, unfortunately.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject:

I was out of the country for about 3 weeks recently and missed all the Lakers games.

Now I'm back and it seems like Julius has been hitting mid range shots more consistently all of the sudden.

When did this start happening, or in other words, is his improved shooting touch for real?

Thanks
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject:

He has been hitting the mid range shots fairly consistently lately. I think it is for real.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
He has been hitting the mid range shots fairly consistently lately. I think it is for real.

Once he gets instinctual with it, it really opens up his drive. Blake Griffin didn't even try hitting those shots until a few years in his career.
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject:

I find it strange that most "analysts" in the media discredit what Julius has done so far in his career and cap his potential as just a rotation player. If he continues to progress at the rate he already has then I don't see how he doesn't make the all-star team in a year or two.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
I was out of the country for about 3 weeks recently and missed all the Lakers games.

Now I'm back and it seems like Julius has been hitting mid range shots more consistently all of the sudden.

When did this start happening, or in other words, is his improved shooting touch for real?

Thanks

Without Russell the first unit is lacking the proper space for Julius operate and he is somewhat struggling with his FG%. Calderon can shoot, but he is not someone moving his body to get an open shot so without Dlo and Nick Young our first unit is a such a mess right now.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
I find it strange that most "analysts" in the media discredit what Julius has done so far in his career and cap his potential as just a rotation player. If he continues to progress at the rate he already has then I don't see how he doesn't make the all-star team in a year or two.

For whatever reason a lot of those "Analysts" just assume Julius is incapable of improving. The way they talk about him you'd think he was 25 years old and in his 6th year in the league.

Opposing players and coaches have consistently said that Julius has the potential to be a monster, he just has to slow down and learn the finer points of the game. The talent is there as long as you're not focused on what he can't do, and he has the work ethic to maximize his potential.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject:

need more then bullying people around. need more defensive end
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if Jules is overstretching his hip area? I've done that before. If you sit in the Thunderbolt Pose, then spread your feet out and lean back on your elbows, you get a good stretch going in that hip area but then you can take it further and lower yourself onto the floor. I had to stop doing that, I found it was not workable in connection with jogging. Once I stopped going to the floor, no more hip strain.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Better 2nd half stretch for him tonight after a first half where he was being sped up a bit.

Luke is good at calming that down. Randle playing at a controlled pace is a dangerous player against the opposing team.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Psythe wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:

He's had quite a few off games. I think his ceiling is just a solid starter.

Which is how it is for most second year players. Andrew Wiggins was criticized for being inconsistent his first two years, now look at him.
Laker Junkie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Offensively, He's a shorter Lamar Odom. Great in transition, but will struggle in half court unless he has strong scorers around him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 805, 806, 807 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 806 of 1536
Jump to: