The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 814, 815, 816 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
The effort wasn't there defensively and he still can't shoot. The Lakers are going to have a tough decision to make with his contract.

The decision won't be tough at all, Mitch won't lose sleep over it.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
dao wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
To be honest idk how much I trust the stats for a lineup that's played 10-20 minutes this whole season (idk how many minutes I trust)

In lineups with a minimum of 20 minutes played this year Julius is in 3 of the worst defensive ones - and the 3 worst net rating lineups.
Comparing the healthy first unit with the bench mob, the bench play significantly better defense. In my opinion, most of that is the difference between Nance and Randle. Nance is a far superior team defender.

Actually the difference is that the bench is playing against bench players while the starters are playing against starters. Last night when Nance was faced against starters (Chandler) he got it handed to him.

Did he? 1 for 3 and 10 rebounds (one below his average). Your objectivity continues to amaze.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dao wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
To be honest idk how much I trust the stats for a lineup that's played 10-20 minutes this whole season (idk how many minutes I trust)

In lineups with a minimum of 20 minutes played this year Julius is in 3 of the worst defensive ones - and the 3 worst net rating lineups.
Comparing the healthy first unit with the bench mob, the bench play significantly better defense. In my opinion, most of that is the difference between Nance and Randle. Nance is a far superior team defender.

Actually the difference is that the bench is playing against bench players while the starters are playing against starters. Last night when Nance was faced against starters (Chandler) he got it handed to him.

Did he? 1 for 3 and 10 rebounds (his average). Your objectivity continues to amaze.

That doesn't even make sense. I have no idea what that means. Are you of the opinion that Chandler did that in the entire game against Nance? Because you would be wrong.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dao wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Did he? 1 for 3 and 10 rebounds (his average). Your objectivity continues to amaze.

That doesn't even make sense. I have no idea what that means. Are you of the opinion that Chandler did that in the entire game against Nance? Because you would be wrong.

He got his one basket and 2 free throws against Nance? It was your stupid comment. You could at least back it up.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject:

Well I watched the game, I guess you must not have. When matched up with Chandler and Len Nance was overmatched. But if you live by the box score I will just pass on a fruitless conversation.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Well I watched the game, I guess you must not have. When matched up with Chandler and Len Nance was overmatched. But if you live by the box score I will just pass on a fruitless conversation.

thats why you dont play a 6'9 guy against legit 7'1
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject:

I agree with that Jim.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Unless you got Draymond Groin
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Draymond is an outlier then a norm
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject:

Chandler isn't a good matchup for small ball, while he is big he is still mobile.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
governator wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I know, I just want to type Groin after his name
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject:

Randle is good for one good effort on a defensive possession. After that he just stands upright and becomes a spectator. Randle has the potential to be an elite perimeter defender if some of Metta's Queensbridge rubs off on him. Unfortunately he has a bit of diva in him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject:

At 21 Randle is being asked to be a defender for the first time in his life. Watch his games at Kentucky, Calipari didn't give a damn if he defended or not, that wasn't his role. We need to give him time to learn what he is doing and to absorb what the coaching staff is teaching him. They obviously are very high on him and haven't given up, it is pathetic that so many here have.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
governator wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

DPOY recipients in the past 30 years: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/awards/by-type/Defensive-Player-Of-The-Year/2

You have to go back a good while to find an undersized PF/C that won DPOY. Ben Wallace in 05... Dennis Rodman in 90... that's about it. They are the two GOAT rebounders, but Green on their level defensively. He's cut from that same cloth and is the exception to the rule.

Size limitations aside, unless players have Tony Allen or Patrick Beverly level of commitment on the defensive end, it's a tough sell to transform undersized players into defensive presences down low, particularly in the rim protection department. The Randle at center experiment isn't working out right now. Same with Nance. I thought the difference last night was Len, despite his offensive woes.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
At 21 Randle is being asked to be a defender for the first time in his life. Watch his games at Kentucky, Calipari didn't give a damn if he defended or not, that wasn't his role. We need to give him time to learn what he is doing and to absorb what the coaching staff is teaching him. They obviously are very high on him and haven't given up, it is pathetic that so many here have.

at 22 you mean? also the point is not whether he can play defense but whether he puts in the effort and energy thats needed to play defense

he seemed fine yesterday dunking the ball but suddenly he is injured on the defensive end.

point is he didnt give any effort on defensive end
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

at 22 you mean? also the point is not whether he can play defense but whether he puts in the effort and energy thats needed to play defense

he seemed fine yesterday dunking the ball but suddenly he is injured on the defensive end.

Big difference between lateral movement as opposed to going one direction with speed.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Ok he is 21 and a couple of weeks. And I agree somewhat, his effort on defense was spotty. In the 3rd quarter he was much more engaged than in the first half. But my point stands, you don't go from 0 to 100 in 4 months. It will be a several years long process. If one doesn't have the stomach for that, they can cry and complain and then come back and eat crow.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject:

I can't be the only one that has accepted that Julius Randle's learning curve on the defensive end is going to be much longer than the offensive end.

Even then, he's unselfish, despite some tunnel vision/court awareness issues.

TS% to 54.5% from 48.2%
Scoring from 11ppg to 13ppg
72.5% finishing rate within 3'
40% 10'-16'
Nearly double the assist rate in the same playing time, from 1.8 to 3.4
54.5% from 16' to < 3pt range

Sure, there's system involvement, but that is basically offensive transformation.

He just turned 22.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Ok he is 21 and a couple of weeks. And I agree somewhat, his effort on defense was spotty. In the 3rd quarter he was much more engaged than in the first half. But my point stands, you don't go from 0 to 100 in 4 months. It will be a several years long process. If one doesn't have the stomach for that, they can cry and complain and then come back and eat crow.

the last statement was not needed but then thats you just being an A like always.

nobody is accepting 100 from the get go. Effort/Hustle has to be there from the get go and for 48mins.

several years huh? his agent is coming next year asking for more then 20mil/year
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
I can't be the only one that has accepted that Julius Randle's learning curve on the defensive end is going to be much longer than the offensive end.

Even then, he's unselfish, despite some tunnel vision/court awareness issues.

TS% to 54.5% from 48.2%
Scoring from 11ppg to 13ppg
72.5% finishing rate within 3'
40% 10'-16'
Nearly double the assist rate in the same playing time, from 1.8 to 3.4
54.5% from 16' to < 3pt range

Sure, there's system involvement, but that is basically offensive transformation.

He's barely turning 23.

You are spot on Mike. The one thing I like, similar to offense, is that Julius is eager to step up and take on the best player on the other team. He is an alpha and that is what we need. He doesn't shy away from anything on the floor. That attitude is a welcome one.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

the last statement was not needed but then thats you just being an A like always.

nobody is accepting 100 from the get go. Effort/Hustle has to be there from the get go and for 48mins.

several years huh? his agent is coming next year asking for more then 20mil/year

And the Lakers will pay him, that is good business.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
his agent is coming next year asking for more then 20mil/year

Then worst case scenario, he doesn't get it, and accepts a lower term or gets involved with a S&T while giving the PT to Larry Nance Jr., Loul Deng, possibly Brandon Ingram while opening PT for Zubac at C and still having cap flexibility.

Vesper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Always sell high. Most teams make the mistake of selling too late, losing most of the value.

Orlando did that with Oladipo and now with both Vucevic and payton.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject:

love that Jules is unselfish. it might be because of his lack of shooting, but he is always looking to make quick decisions and the right play, even if he doesn't always make it. last year he was still a poor shooter but would go 1-on-1 almost all the time.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject:

20 Million is a steep price, especially with Nance, Deng, and eventually Ingram capable of playing the four. We'll see how it shapes out.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 814, 815, 816 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 815 of 1536
Jump to: