The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 873, 874, 875 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Ingram

Vesper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject:

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2520894/zilladavis.0.jpg

Anthony Davis growth spurth and weight gain.

Ingram gained 25 lbs last year at Duke.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject:

I love Julius' game except his touch around the basket. He seems to just toss it up so violently. I really hope he can fix this. Maybe he won't but he does so much on the court positively that it's frustrating.
mrand
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject:

I'd love to see Julius defeding opposing 3s for whole games. In my mind, Julius performs better when he has an exact and specific task ahead of him. Defending a perimeter player might free his mind a little bit which could enable him to play more to his instincts. He showed flashes of having quick and strong hands. Add that to his quick feet, he could really be a good defender at the 3. Of course you have to have another forward next to him who has more defensive awarenss and a perimeter oriented offensive game. (Deng, Ingram)

I'd love to see Metta teaching him how to defend the Lebrons, Melos, Durants, PGs....

Julius just doesn't have natural defensive awareness (by far my biggest concern with him). His best defensive stretches are mostly very intense, helter skelter type 4th quarters where players rely on hustle/instincts.

Random thought:
Does anyone else have a feeling that Randle is a big time playoff performer? I feel like Julius is the type of guy who feeds off the energy and the intensity. Similar to Lamar, who had his ups and dows during the season and wasn't always fully engaged, but we could count on him stepping up his game in the playoffs. (not comparing skill set, just performance level)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject:

I like his defense on-ball more than off ball. Smart idea for Luke to put him on Jokic last night.
We should have him guard the most effective on-ball screen setter on the other team. Jules is quick enough to hard hedge or switch screen and rolls.
But he sucks at tagging the roller and recovering for the close out (key for off ball P&R defense).
ratra_1211
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I like his defense on-ball more than off ball. Smart idea for Luke to put him on Jokic last night.
We should have him guard the most effective on-ball screen setter on the other team. Jules is quick enough to hard hedge or switch screen and rolls.
But he sucks at tagging the roller and recovering for the close out (key for off ball P&R defense).

yeah thats why he always prefer to switch on pnr. he dont know what to do on pnr D
with his quick feet he couldve hard hedge and tag the ballhandler quick enough for the guard to recover and go back to his roll man. he should spend the next off season doing intense conditioning and learning pnr D and help defense. i just dont care about his jumper anymore, just pleaseeee play defense
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject:

LakerEric wrote:
I love Julius' game except his touch around the basket. He seems to just toss it up so violently. I really hope he can fix this. Maybe he won't but he does so much on the court positively that it's frustrating.

He twists his entire body trying to do a layup. It's ugly AF.
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:
Ingram

Not as skinny as I thought!
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
LakerEric wrote:

"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject:

Vesper wrote:

LOL, love this! But seriously, I think that BI has quite a bit of growing to do. He is a late bloomer physically, so he is not done growing. I think he will eventually be at least 6'10" or 11". Plus he will obviously add muscle.
Vesper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Vesper wrote:

LOL, love this! But seriously, I think that BI has quite a bit of growing to do. He is a late bloomer physically, so he is not done growing. I think he will eventually be at least 6'10" or 11". Plus he will obviously add muscle.

People dont realize how much Ingram can grow into his body soon. Especially, if he concentrates on getting bigger/thicker. If he grows another inch or so, he should be focusing on trying to play the 4.

Question: What makes Jules a better option than Ingram at the 4?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject:

Vesper wrote:

Ingram gained his weight slowly.

Anthony Davis, since he bulked up, became FAR FAR more injury prone.

That's usually why it's not recommended for NBA players to gain muscle so quickly. Didn't work for Greg Oden. Didn't work for Ben Simmons.

It's also EXACTLY why the Laker franchise didn't force Ingram to gain bulk prior to the start of the NBA season.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject:

Vesper wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Vesper wrote:

People dont realize how much Ingram can grow into his body soon. Especially, if he concentrates on getting bigger/thicker. If he grows another inch or so, he should be focusing on trying to play the 4.

Question: What makes Jules a better option than Ingram at the 4?

Everybody knows that he can't but that doesn't mean that he WILL. Right now folks are pointing to how Anthony Davis developed physically, but I can just as easily point to Keven Durant over the years. Durant has clearly added some muscle over the years, but he's still lacks the bulk to play at the 4 for any extended period of time.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject:

Need DLO/Jules to find that heart and soul energy for this team again. When we are firing on all cylinders, these two are usually going too.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Need DLO/Jules to find that heart and soul energy for this team again. When we are firing on all cylinders, these two are usually going too.

Yes, they are usually the catalysts. If they are learning from what has gone on the last week or so the losses will be well worth it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yes, they are usually the catalysts. If they are learning from what has gone on the last week or so the losses will be well worth it.

Agreed. They both seem to be players who feed off of confidence.

Some of my fave sequences this year were seeing Jules with the gallop on fast breaks where he looked unstoppable, or DLO just nailing jumpers over people with impunity. A bit of that swagger is gone.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Vesper wrote:

That's usually why it's not recommended for NBA players to gain muscle so quickly. Didn't work for Greg Oden. Didn't work for Ben Simmons.

It's also EXACTLY why the Laker franchise didn't force Ingram to gain bulk prior to the start of the NBA season.

What is it about gaining muscle/weight so quickly that makes players injury prone? Just curious because I see the correlation, but curious as to the explanation.
awntawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Vesper wrote:

What is it about gaining muscle/weight so quickly that makes players injury prone? Just curious because I see the correlation, but curious as to the explanation.

More weight means more pressure on the joints, ligaments, bones, etc. When you jump, you come down harder. If you gain weight too fast, the rest of your body isn't used to carrying that much. Imagine throwing a truck engine into a Prius and then trying to tow a tank without reinforcing the rest of the car.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject:

awntawn wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Vesper wrote:

More weight means more pressure on the joints, ligaments, bones, etc. When you jump, you come down harder. If you gain weight too fast, the rest of your body isn't used to carrying that much. Imagine throwing a truck engine into a Prius and then trying to tow a tank without reinforcing the rest of the car.

Yes. Muscles grow and become stronger much faster than bones, joints and ligaments. The latter three do become stronger, they become denser, it just takes lots of time. You can look at rock climbers and their hands, it takes years for them to develop their ligaments/tendon and even bone strength in their hands to do the crazy things they can do.

Then with basektball players, not only are they heavier, but they're also more powerful. They are generating much more force from their movements, and that will compound the risk to the JLBs.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Roon wrote:
awntawn wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Vesper wrote:

Yes. Muscles grow and become stronger much faster than bones, joints and ligaments. The latter three do become stronger, they become denser, it just takes lots of time. You can look at rock climbers and their hands, it takes years for them to develop their ligaments/tendon and even bone strength in their hands to do the crazy things they can do.

Then with basektball players, not only are they heavier, but they're also more powerful. They are generating much more force from their movements, and that will compound the risk to the JLBs.

I was at the clipper game last weekend (very close to the court) and Ingram doesn't look as skinny as he does on tv. He doesn't look out of place at all on an nba court although he is slightly skinnier than everyone else. It just looks way worse than it is on tv...I think he's going to be a beast as soon as next season. He already takes the ball to the hole hard even tho he's not strong enough to finish through contact yet...8 months consistently in the gym can make a huge difference in the strength department. He's gonna be a beast.

I expect him to start hitting his stride around the same time Russell and randle do....next season.
Lal0821
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
LakerEric wrote:

He does a scissor kick on almost every layup attempt
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Vesper wrote:

AD has played on average of 65 games a season every season +/- 3 or 4 games. There's no correlation with AD. He's on pace for his highest games played/minutes this season.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Plus ADs injuries aren't of the stress from weight bearing variety
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Vesper wrote:

Usually when it's about gaining weight, people usually mean upper body strength.

Now play 30 minutes a game with essentially 3-4 miles of running every game. Legs, Knees, Feet all need time to compensate and adjust.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Vesper wrote:

AD has played on average of 65 games a season every season +/- 3 or 4 games. There's no correlation with AD. He's on pace for his highest games played/minutes this season.

You said it.

65 games a season on average. So roughly misses, 25% of the games?

Minutes don't help his cause either.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 873, 874, 875 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 874 of 1536
Jump to: