The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 895, 896, 897 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
pmacla wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I haven't given up on Jules, but what is going on with his off-ball and transition defense? They even spotlighted Jules just trotting up the court while the Suns PFs dunked all day. This is the most frustrating aspect of Jules's game.

Was this on the Spectrum broadcast?

yes it was

Thanks. I'm beyond frustrated with him for that sort of thing. Aside from the Knicks game, those types of mistakes have happened almost every game. I almost feel like calling them "mistakes" is a misnomer, because that implies that you tried, but got it wrong. I just have a hard time believing that the coaching staff doesn't see this or is okay with it.

It happened during one of those "Stu's Spolight" segments.
His laziness on defense is so evident that even Spectrum had to point it. Horrible.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:
What irks the hell out of me about Randle is the fact he acts as if he's so much better than what he really is. Game has so many holes in it its not funny & the guy walks around cocky as hell.

The hyperboles are confusing Randle with Russell now.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
pmacla wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I haven't given up on Jules, but what is going on with his off-ball and transition defense? They even spotlighted Jules just trotting up the court while the Suns PFs dunked all day. This is the most frustrating aspect of Jules's game.

yes it was

Thanks. I'm beyond frustrated with him for that sort of thing. Aside from the Knicks game, those types of mistakes have happened almost every game. I almost feel like calling them "mistakes" is a misnomer, because that implies that you tried, but got it wrong. I just have a hard time believing that the coaching staff doesn't see this or is okay with it.

His laziness on defense is so evident that even Spectrum had to point it. Horrible.

He trots back on offense too. He clearly picks and chooses when he wants to play hard which is just not acceptable when it comes to basic requirements like screens and getting back on defense or helping the helpers. I hope he turns into the best power forward in the league. Sometimes the bench can remind players that minutes are earned which can help him grow into the best player he can be.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
danzag wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
pmacla wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

yes it was

He trots back on offense too. He clearly picks and chooses when he wants to play hard which is just not acceptable when it comes to basic requirements like screens and getting back on defense or helping the helpers. I hope he turns into the best power forward in the league. Sometimes the bench can remind players that minutes are earned which can help him grow into the best player he can be.

Hey defense, why Randle doesn't like you?
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
defense wrote:
danzag wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
pmacla wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

yes it was

Hey defense, why Randle doesn't like you?

Don't know man, something about fans don't pay to see that...
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
danzag wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
pmacla wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

yes it was

I would not mind putting Randle on the bench to send him a message that lack of effort is not acceptable especially from someone so young.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Truck Turner,

I agree w/you that there are a lot of platitudes around Randle that are either untrue, exaggerated, or people overstate their importance. I have two things that I want to see change, that I think are valid criticisms that negatively impact the team on a regular basis:

1) He rarely makes contact on his screens, and I say that without hyperbole. This is a screen-based offense, on ball or off, and he's easily the worst screen setter on the team amongst front court players.

2) The frequency where he either jogs back on defense or is disengaged off of the ball in half court defense is appalling. Yes, he activates and goes very hard when he has the ball in his hands, but when he doesn't he's downright disrespectful.

The thing about both of those issues is they're not things that you need to "work on." You either care enough to do them or you don't. Maybe the lightbulb comes on someday, but it needs to happen and it needs to happen soon. He could never develop a right hand (although I think that's over-emphasized anyway, never develop a 3-point shot, and have the arms of a T-Rex for all I care, but if he does those 2 things consistently, he's a valuable player. Without them he's not.

You nailed it perfectly with those 2 points. It's so (bleep) frustrating seeing Randle run up to set a screen with his hands down to his sides and then slips before making any contact on the screen. It's crazy to me that this has not been harped on consistently by the coaching staff to him or maybe it has and he refuses to change.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Truck Turner,

I agree w/you that there are a lot of platitudes around Randle that are either untrue, exaggerated, or people overstate their importance. I have two things that I want to see change, that I think are valid criticisms that negatively impact the team on a regular basis:

1) He rarely makes contact on his screens, and I say that without hyperbole. This is a screen-based offense, on ball or off, and he's easily the worst screen setter on the team amongst front court players.

2) The frequency where he either jogs back on defense or is disengaged off of the ball in half court defense is appalling. Yes, he activates and goes very hard when he has the ball in his hands, but when he doesn't he's downright disrespectful.

The thing about both of those issues is they're not things that you need to "work on." You either care enough to do them or you don't. Maybe the lightbulb comes on someday, but it needs to happen and it needs to happen soon. He could never develop a right hand (although I think that's over-emphasized anyway, never develop a 3-point shot, and have the arms of a T-Rex for all I care, but if he does those 2 things consistently, he's a valuable player. Without them he's not.

You nailed it perfectly with those 2 points. It's so (bleep) frustrating seeing Randle run up to set a screen with his hands down to his sides and then slips before making any contact on the screen. It's crazy to me that this has not been harped on consistently by the coaching staff to him or maybe it has and he refuses to change.

I remember Byron's staff last year making a point out of it. Byron may have been incompetent as a coach but he recognizes what a screen is. Julius has had two sets of people telling him to set proper screens and he's responded to neither.

It stops being the coach's fault in a case like that.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject:

He really doesn't like to set screens it's like ridiculous. The coaching staff must be telling him to, I hope.
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Some players just aren't going to make it. 14 players are drafted in the lottery every year, and their respective fan bases have high hopes for the future. The majority of them do not pan out. Julius has shown flashes and the tools are certainly there, but at some point you just can't keep using youth as an excuse. As GT stated, effort is not something that can be taught, you either have it or you don't. We're nearing the end of year 2, I've seen some improvements in his game, noticeably his jumper, he's starting to shoot it more recently and its looking a lot better. But he still looks like he has low motor, especially on the defensive end. He is not physically gifted to the point where he can just skate by without giving it 100%. How much longer are we going to wait for the light bulb to turn on? Effort was a problem last year, I chalked it up to not wanting to play under Byron, but it's still a problem this year. He's due for an extension soon if he doesn't change his mentality, do you really want to give him a long term deal if he's already half assing it on his rookie contract? I hope he can start turning it around after the allstar break.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:
Some players just aren't going to make it. 14 players are drafted in the lottery every year, and their respective fan bases have high hopes for the future. The majority of them do not pan out. Julius has shown flashes and the tools are certainly there, but at some point you just can't keep using youth as an excuse. As GT stated, effort is not something that can be taught, you either have it or you don't. We're nearing the end of year 2, I've seen some improvements in his game, noticeably his jumper, he's starting to shoot it more recently and its looking a lot better. But he still looks like he has low motor, especially on the defensive end. He is not physically gifted to the point where he can just skate by without giving it 100%. How much longer are we going to wait for the light bulb to turn on? Effort was a problem last year, I chalked it up to not wanting to play under Byron, but it's still a problem this year. He's due for an extension soon if he doesn't change his mentality, do you really want to give him a long term deal if he's already half assing it on his rookie contract? I hope he can start turning it around after the allstar break.

I think he will show better effort next year to fight for max extension and regresses again after that.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject:

He'll probably keep improving yearly.

Randle's too hard of a worker to stop working after getting a contract. Never been his mentality.

You'd figure as many changes and improvements he made in a single off-season(his first off-season he had a chance to work on anything because he was rehabbing after his first), that of all things that WOULDN'T be questioned, his work ethic would be one of them.

But what you do with that rhetoric is now you then create an excuse for people that don't want to be wrong about him to a hyperbolic extent, that if he comes out next year playing really well and making all those changes they get to say "Well he's only doing it cause he's got a contract coming up! We should trade him while his value's high before he falls off after we pay him!"

Yeah....no.
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject:

I don't usually complain about Randle but damn his defensive "efforts" have been pathetic. Maybe he's going to be one of those guys who doesn't give a (bleep) about defense tbh
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Randle's too hard of a worker to stop working after getting a contract. Never been his mentality.

You'd figure as many changes and improvements he made in a single off-season(his first off-season he had a chance to work on anything because he was rehabbing after his first), that of all things that WOULDN'T be questioned, his work ethic would be one of them.

But what you do with that rhetoric is now you then create an excuse for people that don't want to be wrong about him to a hyperbolic extent, that if he comes out next year playing really well and making all those changes they get to say "Well he's only doing it cause he's got a contract coming up! We should trade him while his value's high before he falls off after we pay him!"

Yeah....no.

I'm talking about his effort on the court, and I'm not the only one calling him out about it. I'm not trying to create any "rhetoric" or any agenda with my post. I apologize if it seemed that way.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Truck Turner,

Agreed.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:
MJST wrote:

Yeah....no.

I'm talking about his effort on the court, and I'm not the only one calling him out about it. I'm not trying to create any "rhetoric" or any agenda with my post. I apologize if it seemed that way.

Oh that wasn't towards you

it just creates that kind of thing. Where if Randle does do good next year it gives an opportunity for people that stick with the hyperbole to say he's just doing it cause his contract is up.

Ultimately though, I think he'll improve next year like he did last off-season.

The most important thing he needs to change imo is consistent effort and stamina. Those two things improve and the sky is the limit.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Yeah....no.

I have seen much improvement from him comparing to last year. Work ethic is not a problem for him. What I think is happening to him is he is being very selective with the things he wants to do on the court. Deep inside his heart I think he still wants to be the go-to-guy instead of the blue collar guy who does all the fundamental stuff to help the team getting better. He can probably get away with it if we have a defensive force at C but not with the current roster.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
pmacla wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

yes it was

Why did you ban me for a week for calling him a "headcase" when it turns out that you now actually agree with my sentiment which I have expressed all along?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject:

Pullin' up a chair
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
pmacla wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

yes it was

Why did you ban me for a week for calling him a "headcase" when it turns out that you now actually agree with my sentiment which I have expressed all along?

Because neither you nor anyone else get suspended for sentiment, but instead the name calling and the fact that you'd come into this thread w/some regularity just to do that rather than engage in legitimate discussion.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
pmacla wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

yes it was

Because neither you nor anyone else get suspended for sentiment, but instead the name calling and the fact that you'd come into this thread w/some regularity just to do that rather than engage in legitimate discussion.

I had to scroll back for context, but I didn't see anything wrong with that particular comment. Seems like a typical reactionary response just in one word instead of an essay.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject:

D'Angelo Russell and the Lakers are a significantly better team with Randle on the court
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5HsfljWQAAQLpY.jpg

via LakersPulse

This will make anpherknee very happy

and good to see this starting to surface.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject:

I wish I could be happy about that

but im too sad from all the meanies talking about how ugly my son is aesthetically and wanting to trade him every five seconds

I.AM.TIED.

my son get traded and yaw celebrate im leaving forebbers fam
im gone for at least 10 hours, probably somewhere between 12 hours and forebbers I swear guise
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject:

to put this in right thread in DLO thread I said that whenever Julius gets 10 rebs he usually has 5 offensive because of rebounding his own misses, was told its a false narrative this is what I found in games this season

vs GS 14 TRB 6 ORB
vs Dal 10 TRB 5 ORB
vs Uta 11 TRB 4 ORB
vs Hou 10 TRB 5 ORB
vs NY 10 TRB 4 ORB
vs UT 12 TRB 6 ORB

while not the norm for every game in a majority of his 10 rebound games THIS year half of those are offensive rebs so it is NOT a false narrative we see it on a nightly basis
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
to put this in right thread in DLO thread I said that whenever Julius gets 10 rebs he usually has 5 offensive because of rebounding his own misses, was told its a false narrative this is what I found in games this season

vs GS 14 TRB 6 ORB
vs Dal 10 TRB 5 ORB
vs Uta 11 TRB 4 ORB
vs Hou 10 TRB 5 ORB
vs NY 10 TRB 4 ORB
vs UT 12 TRB 6 ORB

while not the norm for every game in a majority of his 10 rebound games THIS year half of those are offensive rebs so it is NOT a false narrative we see it on a nightly basis

I pointed this out last year and was shouted down for it. Oh well.

Edit: I do think he's made huge strides this year.

My criticism of him is still the same. He's lazy and thinks hes better than he really is.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 895, 896, 897 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 896 of 1536
Jump to: