The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 905, 906, 907 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
nash wrote:
I know Julius missed his rookie season, but he was around just like Embiid and my point about Randle is that if you can't learn how to set a screen after 3 seasons under a NBA program and you are a big that can't finish around the basket so you are not going to see the money, but he seems to be someone with the mindset of a superstar and it may be a problem trying to sign him.

So you think he was trying to set screens in a cast? Holy bleep. And again with the computer psychology. That is the kind of garbage we have to put up with here.

Do you like the screens he sets and his efficiency finishing?

I like some of the screens he sets, same as some of the other bigs. I don't like some of the screens he sets, same as some of the other bigs. There are different types of screens and he does a good job on some, not so good on others. He has definitely improved from last season. I know people here want to be unrealistic and think that these kids should be perfect in their first/second seasons in the NBA, but that isn't going to happen. Look at someone like Clarkson, he had more college than Randle and more time in the NBA and he still fails with some of the basics. That doesn't mean he will forever. Give these guys a chance to improve.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject:

He's really steering his shot right now and passing up a lot of open jumpers. It was painful to watch him at the FT line today, his shot looked tortured. I don't know what the hell our shooting coaches are doing, no one should come out of the All-Star break like this in terms of their mechanics.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Laker7 wrote:
If I am Magic and Pelinka, I am telling Julius during the exit interviews that unless he improves next year we will not be offering him a max contract at the end of next season. He has not been consistent enough especially on the defensive end to warrant a big contract. If he wants to be a Laker and make the big bucks he needs to step up.

Magic and Pelinka need to be fired if they do offer Randle a contract at the end of next season.

VLF

This is Randle's third year. Next season is his 4th. Most agents are asking for contracts after the 4th year. JC got a contract after his 2nd (free agent cause he was a second round pick) and Randle is going to be itching for an extension.

What I am worried about is Randle waiting until his 5th year to really put in an effort to get a big contract then goes back to half effort after he gets it. I think the Lakers need to find a way to light a fire under his butt next year and if he does not respond, prepare to move on.

L7
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject:

I think the guys on 710 read my posts earlier. They were saying he would probably never have a smooth polished looking game. They're still higher on him than I am.

There's some pretty simple basketball stuff that he just can't do consistently or can't do at all and it's not like he hasn't had an opportunity to learn how to set an effective screen or read an offense or defense. He played basketball in high school, he played in college, he is in his third year in the NBA. I know he lost a year but that's really not the point. I don't know what really separates him from a guy like Thomas Robinson. If they made TRob their starting power forward for the rest of the season and played him 30 minutes, I think he can get 13 and 10 per game. That's not a knock on TRob, he's no scrub, but despite his athleticism and his high draft slot, his overall game just doesn't translate to being a starter on a successful team. He is a guy that can give you energy off the bench and have the occasional game where he fills in for someone and does damage. I see Julius as the same type of player.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Jud Buechler is our shooting coach, enough said.
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
He's really steering his shot right now and passing up a lot of open jumpers. It was painful to watch him at the FT line today, his shot looked tortured. I don't know what the hell our shooting coaches are doing, no one should come out of the All-Star break like this in terms of their mechanics.

We definitely need a different approach when it comes to shooting coaches (or lack thereof). Feels like all of our young guys have regressed
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
i use to be a JR stan but his recent play and lack of hustle has been turning me off. Wouldnt mind if him and JC got dealt

For what?

How about a second rounder

Wow, he played that bad today?

I see Randle being traded on draft day for a high first round pick.

E.g. Randle to bucks for the 13th pick and their 2nd rounder.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Laker7 wrote:
If I am Magic and Pelinka, I am telling Julius during the exit interviews that unless he improves next year we will not be offering him a max contract at the end of next season. He has not been consistent enough especially on the defensive end to warrant a big contract. If he wants to be a Laker and make the big bucks he needs to step up.

Magic and Pelinka need to be fired if they do offer Randle a contract at the end of next season.

VLF

This is Randle's third year. Next season is his 4th. Most agents are asking for contracts after the 4th year. JC got a contract after his 2nd (free agent cause he was a second round pick) and Randle is going to be itching for an extension.

What I am worried about is Randle waiting until his 5th year to really put in an effort to get a big contract then goes back to half effort after he gets it. I think the Lakers need to find a way to light a fire under his butt next year and if he does not respond, prepare to move on.

L7

NOTHING about Julius Randle's character says he's the kind of player that would 'quit trying' after getting an extension.
Laker Junkie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
governator wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
i use to be a JR stan but his recent play and lack of hustle has been turning me off. Wouldnt mind if him and JC got dealt

For what?

Not sure this is possible or would even be entertained by this front office. But, I'd definitely look into it. Dlo and BI are the only two players I feel comfortable that will be quality starters or potentially All stars one day. The other 3 positions are wide open.
Laker Junkie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

We definitely need a different approach when it comes to shooting coaches (or lack thereof). Feels like all of our young guys have regressed

Agree and it's not discussed enough. I think this is the most underrated part of the Spurs. Even their role players the past several years are good shooters. I can't think of a time when they did not have a good shooter at each position.
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
The Logo wrote:
He didn't play as horribly as this thread makes it out to be. I just think that there needs to be a lot less hesitation with shooting off the pop when Russell creates off the PnR. Made some good passes today and did the best he could on the boards against Pau and Aldridge.

He rarely plays as bad as some in this thread make it seem.

This is the thread where a guy can score a triple double and people dismiss it as "luck" or him only getting it because his teammates happened to make shots.

This is the thread where people keep insisting that if Julius grabs 10 rebounds it's because he's getting offensive boards from his own misses....despite every bit of data available saying otherwise.

This is the thread where Julius can improve his shooting % somewhat significantly from the previous year but people will claim he hasn't improved his shooting since his days at Kentucky.

This is the thread where people will insist Julius has "No right hand" even though he's been finishing with his right hand more and more as the season has gone on.

This is a thread where Julius can shoot 50% or better from the field but people will complain about how his shot looks aesthetically.

This is the thread where some will claim Julius struggles to score against length even though some of his best offensive games have been against lengthy front courts that play good defense.

Anything positive Julius does is treated as if it didn't or a fluke....Think about just how often people in this thread have said his shots going in were due to "luck".

The sad/weird thing is there are some valid things to criticize Julius on. Instead people tend complain the most about things that Julius has disprove or areas of his game that he's clearly improved on. That's what people mean when they say some folks are clearly driven by an agenda. They just keep hammering on the same points even if they'd been debunked numerous times before.

So much truth in one post....
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
governator wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

For what?

I'd do that. To think people laughed at me when I said I wanted him traded for WCS, Skal Labasierrie, and a first rounder earlier this year.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Laker7 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Laker7 wrote:

VLF

L7

NOTHING about Julius Randle's character says he's the kind of player that would 'quit trying' after getting an extension.

I did not say quit trying. I said half effort that we see too regularly right now.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
I think the guys on 710 read my posts earlier. They were saying he would probably never have a smooth polished looking game. They're still higher on him than I am.

There's some pretty simple basketball stuff that he just can't do consistently or can't do at all and it's not like he hasn't had an opportunity to learn how to set an effective screen or read an offense or defense. He played basketball in high school, he played in college, he is in his third year in the NBA. I know he lost a year but that's really not the point. I don't know what really separates him from a guy like Thomas Robinson. If they made TRob their starting power forward for the rest of the season and played him 30 minutes, I think he can get 13 and 10 per game. That's not a knock on TRob, he's no scrub, but despite his athleticism and his high draft slot, his overall game just doesn't translate to being a starter on a successful team. He is a guy that can give you energy off the bench and have the occasional game where he fills in for someone and does damage. I see Julius as the same type of player.

If you've ever seen him play in high school, you'd know why he looks like he's only had one year of organized ball in before coming into the NBA.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Another baffling night in this thread. People saying he didn't play hard on a night when he had 12 rebounds through three quarters.
Mike Breen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject:

^ A perfect example why its important to watch games when making judgements on players rather than looking at the box scores
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Mike Breen wrote:
^ A perfect example why its important to watch games when making judgements on players rather than looking at the box scores

He avg 10rpg last year and played with really weak effort.

I'm optimistic about his value as a 6th man - think he could be reallly good in that role.

I'm re-watching this game now..
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject:

His 3ball missed in/out today, nice attempt. His lower body was calm on the shot, didn't twist. I like his potential as a 3ball shooter if he shoots it that way. I don't like how the staff has chosen to implement and mold his shooting attempts and stroke. He twisted on most of his 3ball attempts this year, and didn't take enough

C'mon son. Maybe they didn't watch his 3pt attempts last year and see they were better misses than his midrange ,and he didn't twist on them.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Mike Breen wrote:

Such a cop out response, are you sure you watched it? Wheels go round and round. Of course the fact that I watched the game is verifiable considering I posted 3 or 4 posts in the game thread.

He didn't shoot the ball well. He had a couple mishaps defensively in the second quarter (most notably when the open three pointer when he didn't rotate out). The effort was there though.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject:

For Randle to really have value, he has to be one of the most energetic players on the court, imo. When his energy is sticking out, that's when he's making an impact, that's when he's playing his best. And this has been particularly evident on offense - but the same will be the rule for defense --- when he eventually chooses to pick up his effort on that end.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Nick Young was the bigger culprit in the lack of effort department tonight, though Randle did blow screens on three of his misses.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Nick Young was the bigger culprit in the lack of effort department tonight, though Randle did blow screens on three of his misses.

It's also like ----- there's still defensive lapses, and poor energy that doesn't get capitalized on by the other team. I see that and it still puts me off, despite the other team not taking advantage of it on that play.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

It's also like ----- there's still defensive lapses, and poor energy that doesn't get capitalized on by the other team. I see that and it still puts me off, despite the other team not taking advantage of it on that play.

Yeah but my bar is already pretty low for him in that department, haha. The thing I'm wondering is whether it's because he didn't get any coaching until his year at Kentucky, or because of the way he's wired.

I don't recall any play in particular that stood out in this game while there were a couple boneheaded ones for Clarkson and TRob. He was much worse against OKC, where a bunch of their threes were because he was dogging it in transition.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Randle has a decent defensive game

"HE LACKS EFFORT AND IS LAZY ON DEFENSE!!

Randle has 12 rebounds in 3 quarters and works himself to exhaustion.

"The effort just isn't there!"

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Yeah, Nick was straight garbage in OKC too. Talk about living off a reputation (that he earned in, like, preseason )
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 905, 906, 907 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 906 of 1536
Jump to: