The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 102, 103, 104 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bevwenz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
24 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
What I absolutely love about Randle is his polite "give me the F'in ball and get the F out" attitude. It's an alpha mentality that will be nice to cultivate once Kobe is gone (and while Kobe is here, perfect guy to learn from).

Yes, he will need refinement in a number of areas, but you can't teach that mentality. I also loved how 2-3 defenders just bounced off him every time. That's going to get him to the foul line a lot. Love the pick.

Absolutely.

While it would be great for him to develop a jumper, he hasn't HAD to shoot a jumper in about 3 games. Make or miss, he gets to the spot he wants to get to. This is the most tell tale sign of whether or not a guy is a stud.

He's the only give me the ball and get the eff outta the way caliber player I've seen this summer. Parker, Wiggins, Exum...he's the ONLY one.

Agreed. That's a thing I look for too, and he's got it in spades.

And he appears to do it by going zero to sixty as fast or faster than any player his size I can remember. He can change direxction doing it too. Finishing hasn't been great all the time and a mid-range jumper would make him almost unguardable. But the basis is there.

I think part of what he's doing out there is by design. They want to see his face up skills, because I think they might think he has a shot at 3.

The aggressiveness and mentality is great but not sure I'm ready to buy in to him "getting to a spot" as such a powerful indicator at this point.

He got to a spot very often via bullyball against non-NBA level players. That and a generous allowance for contact from the refs won't be the same in the real games. The simple answer to staying in front of him and/or beating him to a spot is to back off him and force him to make the outside shot...can he? Maybe, but it would have been nice to see it tried, regardless of whether he could have made it to a spot or not vs. non-NBA defenders. Also, if the spot you make it to in order to be a high threat to score is limited to a close range to the basket, then the presense of rim protectors and a generally more crowded paint will make much of what Randle was able to do in SL harder to translate.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject:

I definitely like Randle, but I am hesitant about his height/wing-span. There are times when I watch when this is more or less apparent.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Like Leor , Im really high on this guy as well.

I'm just concerned about his mid range game . He can't just keep banging and shifting his weight into the lane without a perimeter arsenal. He's pretty much in the same scenario as Terrance Jones his rookie year. An it's just ironic that there both from Kentucky and there both left handed.

Sure he's demolishing forwards in the summer league with his constant penetrations to the cup.
That isn't gonna fly in the regular season against the vets though.

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
DipNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
Like Leor , Im really high on this guy as well.

I'm just concerned about his mid range game . He can't just keep banging and shifting his weight into the lane without a perimeter arsenal. He's pretty much in the same scenario as Terrance Jones his rookie year. An it's just ironic that there both from Kentucky and there both left handed.

Sure he's demolishing forwards in the summer league with his constant penetrations to the cup.
That isn't gonna fly in the regular season against the vets though.

he's 19 years old let the kid develop
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Guys he doesn't have Kobesque talent. Let him grow
DipNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
Guys he doesn't have Kobesque talent. Let him grow

Exactly people expecting him to play like a 10 year vet with no holes in his game it takes time .
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject:

I wonder how his game meshes with R Kelly's? They can be a nice interchangeable inside/outside duo one day.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject:

We need to let Randle grow, hopefully we DON'T trade him and let him develop. He's still a kid.

He is definitely a solid piece for the future.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Randle already has a budding mid-range jumper, he just did not show it in the SL because his style of play (Attacking the basket) was more effective. But when he did attempt jumpers you could see he already had good form.

LINK

He made 32 of the 50 shots he attempted.
Megatron24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject:

He's reminding me more and more of Barkely when we was with Philly. Barkely would move between the 3 and 4 and hadn't developed much range or a consistent shot.

The thing that I am most impressed with Randle so far is his ability to keep his head up while dribbling the ball and scanning the court to make the correct pass. Court vision for a guy his size, speed, and strength is amazing. It's also really fun watching him catch the ball at the 3 point line with 5 feet of cushion and then just blitz off the line like a bull getting to whatever spot he want to go and he has some shake in his game as well.

Last edited by Megatron24 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject:

He's got good form, not really worried about his jumper.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject:

bevwenz wrote:
24 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
24 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
What I absolutely love about Randle is his polite "give me the F'in ball and get the F out" attitude. It's an alpha mentality that will be nice to cultivate once Kobe is gone (and while Kobe is here, perfect guy to learn from).

Yes, he will need refinement in a number of areas, but you can't teach that mentality. I also loved how 2-3 defenders just bounced off him every time. That's going to get him to the foul line a lot. Love the pick.

Absolutely.

While it would be great for him to develop a jumper, he hasn't HAD to shoot a jumper in about 3 games. Make or miss, he gets to the spot he wants to get to. This is the most tell tale sign of whether or not a guy is a stud.

He's the only give me the ball and get the eff outta the way caliber player I've seen this summer. Parker, Wiggins, Exum...he's the ONLY one.

And he appears to do it by going zero to sixty as fast or faster than any player his size I can remember. He can change direxction doing it too. Finishing hasn't been great all the time and a mid-range jumper would make him almost unguardable. But the basis is there.

I think part of what he's doing out there is by design. They want to see his face up skills, because I think they might think he has a shot at 3.

The aggressiveness and mentality is great but not sure I'm ready to buy in to him "getting to a spot" as such a powerful indicator at this point.

He got to a spot very often via bullyball against non-NBA level players. That and a generous allowance for contact from the refs won't be the same in the real games. The simple answer to staying in front of him and/or beating him to a spot is to back off him and force him to make the outside shot...can he? Maybe, but it would have been nice to see it tried, regardless of whether he could have made it to a spot or not vs. non-NBA defenders. Also, if the spot you make it to in order to be a high threat to score is limited to a close range to the basket, then the presense of rim protectors and a generally more crowded paint will make much of what Randle was able to do in SL harder to translate.

What I've seen is that people are already giving him considerable space, and daring him to shoot the jumper. He isn't blowing by people that are hugged up on him. He's eating up the space, STILL getting players on their heels, getting the bump with his lower body, and getting to his spot.

The physics of the guy are astounding, in a speed X mass = force kinda way. The only other player of comparable proportions in the league that can move that quickly with the ball in his hands in the league is LeBron. And the scary thing is that this is his 19 year old body. What's he going to be like at 25?
Megatron24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
bevwenz wrote:
24 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
24 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Absolutely.

What I've seen is that people are already giving him considerable space, and daring him to shoot the jumper. He isn't blowing by people that are hugged up on him. He's eating up the space, STILL getting players on their heels, getting the bump with his lower body, and getting to his spot.

The physics of the guy are astounding, in a speed X mass = force kinda way. The only other player of comparable proportions in the league that can move that quickly with the ball in his hands in the league is LeBron. And the scary thing is that this is his 19 year old body. What's he going to be like at 25?

Great point about his 19 year old body. I would love to see him hook up with Tim Grover to really push his body to the next level and reach it's peak.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Megatron24 wrote:
Great point about his 19 year old body. I would love to see him hook up with Tim Grover to really push his body to the next level and reach it's peak.

Agreed. Hopefully Kobe can have some influence on him in terms of taking care of his body as well. A long term concern that I have about him is that he is the type of player that dishes out a lot of punishment. Those guys are always receiving some of the contact that they're giving out, and can have physical issues down the line as a result.

Developing him is the most important part of this upcoming season. Sure, we all want to see them be competitive, but the reality is that we're not a championship contender. Randle, however, could be a major building block of our next championship caliber team, and teaching him how it's done is of the utmost importance. Personally, I'm happy that we signed Boozer, because I think it will be good for his development. I don't like the idea of a rookie coming in and basically being handed starters minutes without earning them. This is an external motivating factor, rather than just relying on Randle's inner desire to get better. The coach can reasonably increase/decrease his minutes based on him fulfilling expectations, without putting a wildly inferior player out there. Make him earn it. (and I fully expect he will)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Hard to develop inner desire; easier to develop technical things. The former has been clearly established.
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject:

This is a serious game dunk. Its the one that really opened my eyes in the beginning of the year.

audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject:

30 wrote:
Randle already has a budding mid-range jumper, he just did not show it in the SL because his style of play (Attacking the basket) was more effective. But when he did attempt jumpers you could see he already had good form.

LINK

eh 32 out of 50 is kinda bad during a solo practice shootout
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
30 wrote:

LINK

eh 32 out of 50 is kinda bad during a solo practice shootout

I would go to Laker games and watch Kwame shoot, yes Kwame. Pre shoot around and he had a great looking jumper and it looked money was money in pregame. In games he would never attempt them, can Julius shoot with defenders he didn't look good in college doing so.
RetroNikes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject:

I think Randle's mid range game will develop over time. i don't see him being good at it in his first year.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Golden, I think Melo and Griffin also qualify for the momentum with the ball club....though there may not be anyone else. Maybe Cousins.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Quote:

Golden, I think Melo and Griffin also qualify for the momentum with the ball club....though there may not be anyone else. Maybe Cousins.

I agree. Griffin definitely qualifies:

dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject:

Not a bad looking GF if they are still together.

http://i.imgur.com/DQJRY6T.png
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Quote:

I agree. Griffin definitely qualifies:

Randle seems bigger than all those guys to me. His legs and hips namely.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject:

To he critics. He is 19. What did you look like at 19?
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
To he critics. He is 19. What did you look like at 19?

Better than i look today, thats for sure
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 102, 103, 104 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 103 of 1536
Jump to: