The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1050, 1051, 1052 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
https://youtu.be/mnKT3xVSwY0?t=1m52s

you can most definitely see the difference in his physique. It's tough to gauge any increased speed/mobility from a couple of plays in a league that is 10x slower than NBA speed. But baby fat is gone. If he can get an uptick in his quickness/explosiveness, he will be quite the physical specimen at this reduced weight.

Randle was the #4 PF in the league in pints per game in transition. A slight increase in athleticism combined with the Lonzo effect could make him a monster in transition. I'm slowly starting to become more and more optimistic about his chances of having a breakout season. The key will be defense of course. His three point shooting would be a bonus, but isn't completely necessary if he shares the frontcourt with another guy that can shoot. Lopez can shoot, and so can Kuzma.

Randle at the 5 with Kuzma at the 4 will run teams off the court. But he has to improve his defense significantly to be able to play the 5 effectively. I will tentatively slip into the Randle bandwagon, in an exit row seat.

you bastard
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject:

Randle says he and Russell are still cool. Still in contact.

That whole snitch "lockeroom cancer" narrative really doesn't seem to hold much weight when his ex teammates have nothing but good things to say about him. Larry had nice things to say as well and when Russell was at summer league a couple weeks ago he was laughing and talking to the lakers coaching staff. I wish the kid the best of luck.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
https://youtu.be/GDBTiBdrVks

That whole snitch "lockeroom cancer" narrative really doesn't seem to hold much weight when his ex teammates have nothing but good things to say about him. Larry had nice things to say as well and when Russell was at summer league a couple weeks ago he was laughing and talking to the lakers coaching staff. I wish the kid the best of luck.

He was also laughing and talking with Luke who was next to him through the game.

Seems the only guys that have had an actual issue with Russell are Byron Scott and Magic Johnson.

Coincidence I'm sure.

Another thing Randle said was that he feels better now than he has in the past 4 or 5 years. That was his junior year of high school.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

He was also laughing and talking with Luke who was next to him through the game.

Seems the only guys that have had an actual issue with Russell are Byron Scott and Magic Johnson.

Coincidence I'm sure.

Another thing Randle said was that he feels better now than he has in the past 4 or 5 years. That was his junior year of high school.

Hopefully that means he comes out and kills it this season. I'm excited to see randle play this season more than anybody.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Coincidence I'm sure.

Dlo was seen laughing it up with Magic too. People can like a person personally and not necessarily think they're a good fit professionally, you know.
ricardoJPC
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject:

those right handed finishes got me hyped
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject:

ricardoJPC wrote:

Was nice to see

https://twitter.com/LALUpdates/status/889326178225586176

as was the jumper. That stepback at 0:20 seconds was probably one of the most natural stepbacks I've seen from him form/rhythm/confidence wise since his high school days.

I am in need of a KiRoE breakdown of that stepback now and what he sees
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
ricardoJPC wrote:

Was nice to see

as was the jumper. That stepback at 0:20 seconds was probably one of the most natural stepbacks I've seen from him form/rhythm/confidence wise since his high school days.

Looking good, especially that right hand. But I'm worried about that jumpshot, it seems like he's always doing the stepback when he takes a shot. Falling away like that can't be a consistent shot
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Coincidence I'm sure.

This isn't accurate. Other members of the coaching staff and even Luke had issues with D'Lo. They've ALL said he's a talented player (nobody questions that) and a good guy, but they all questioned his maturity and desire to be a truly great basketball player. There was a reason Luke wasn't letting him finish games and benched him late in the season.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
MJST wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Coincidence I'm sure.

This isn't accurate. Other members of the coaching staff and even Luke had issues with D'Lo. They've ALL said he's a talented player (nobody questions that) and a good guy, but they all questioned his maturity and desire to be a truly great basketball player. There was a reason Luke wasn't letting him finish games and benched him late in the season.

Only person I've heard say nothing negative about Russell has been The media and magic.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:

I don't want to make this about D-Lo, but Pop got after him too.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject:

Leave the DLO talk to another thread please. I have my own opinions on DLO as well, but this thread is limited to Randle. Thanks.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost

Last edited by LakerSanity on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject:

Just watched that 11 minute drew league vid.

Randle's speed is insane. Start watching it from about 8 minutes, or 8min 30 sec, onwards. Shows his ridic transition speed. Shows right hand finish in the lane. Shows blocks.

Some nice stuff there!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
MJST wrote:
ricardoJPC wrote:

Was nice to see

Looking good, especially that right hand. But I'm worried about that jumpshot, it seems like he's always doing the stepback when he takes a shot. Falling away like that can't be a consistent shot

It can be if you master it, Dirk is a good example.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

Randle's speed is insane. Start watching it from about 8 minutes, or 8min 30 sec, onwards. Shows his ridic transition speed. Shows right hand finish in the lane. Shows blocks.

Some nice stuff there!

Good, I want to see him use that speed on the defensive end. He should be pretty good at switching and recovering with that speed.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Some nice stuff there!

Good, I want to see him use that speed on the defensive end. He should be pretty good at switching and recovering with that speed.
he does it every once in a blue moon.

he has the size, speed, quickness, and mobility to overwhelm the opposing ball handler when he plays like he actually gives a damn about defense. The off ball defensive awareness is his biggest issue, but I imagine giving a damn is his biggest issue in these off-ball responsibilities as well.
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Randle put up 28/18/5 today in Drew League, saw him also take it coast to coast on a steal and go for a right hand layup but was fouled, but he looked natural doing it.

He got pissed after he got dunked on and the dude tried it again, so Randle then proceeded to destroy everyone else in the gym from that point on.

The same dude that dunked on Julius kept trying to pick a fight with Artest in the Drew League playoffs last year.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Some nice stuff there!

he does it every once in a blue moon.

he has the size, speed, quickness, and mobility to overwhelm the opposing ball handler when he plays like he actually gives a damn about defense. The off ball defensive awareness is his biggest issue, but I imagine giving a damn is his biggest issue in these off-ball responsibilities as well.

Agree that effort and desire are his biggest weaknesses on the defensive end.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Congrats to the player of the week!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Drew League‏ Verified account
@DrewLeague
. [ at ] J30_RANDLE is the Week 9 Player of the Week. He finished with 28 and 18 in a must-win game for M.H.P. http://bit.ly/2vCZfSI #thedrew
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

Does every player at the Drew League get a participation trophy... so, you know, they are all winners? And do you know where I can find "My Laker won player of the week at the Drew league" bumper sticker?

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
@DrewLeague
. _at_ J30_RANDLE is the Week 9 Player of the Week. He finished with 28 and 18 in a must-win game for M.H.P. http://bit.ly/2vCZfSI #thedrew
time out. Weren't you trashing the drew league only a few pages ago
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
MJST wrote:
@DrewLeague
. [AT] J30_RANDLE is the Week 9 Player of the Week. He finished with 28 and 18 in a must-win game for M.H.P. http://bit.ly/2vCZfSI #thedrew

Very nice. Solid NBA players should shine in the Drew League; I would be very disappointed if Randall didn't.

--Anonymous
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
The guy was making all kinds of big defensive possession early on. He let himself get back out of shape somewhat (back up to 255-260) and the energy only showed in spurts. Luke got onto him about his inconsistent effort and he made a point to work on his effort, energy, and conditioning.

When the guy became a new father and admitted losing sleep, I wouldn't push to get into shape either. The team was tanking. No need to push that hard mid-late season when the offseason offers plenty of time for getting into shape and recovery.

That's not good enough for someone who purportedly wants to be a leader on this team. Letting yourself get outta shape in the middle of the season is a red flag. And boohoo there's working parents all over the world who manage to give 100% effort that don't have Randle's resources. Anyway we'll see how he does this season
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
The guy was making all kinds of big defensive possession early on. He let himself get back out of shape somewhat (back up to 255-260) and the energy only showed in spurts. Luke got onto him about his inconsistent effort and he made a point to work on his effort, energy, and conditioning.

When the guy became a new father and admitted losing sleep, I wouldn't push to get into shape either. The team was tanking. No need to push that hard mid-late season when the offseason offers plenty of time for getting into shape and recovery.

That's not good enough for someone who purportedly wants to be a leader on this team. Letting yourself get outta shape in the middle of the season is a red flag. And boohoo there's working parents all over the world who manage to give 100% effort that don't have Randle's resources. Anyway we'll see how he does this season

He wasn't out of shape. He just wasn't his ideal weight. His conditioning actually got better as the season went on post ASB. The main thing he wanted to attack in the off-season and during that time aside from his conditioning was changing up his diet. If you were as emotionally invested as your opinions on the guy, you'd have known this months ago.

Also Mike (@) LG's comments are very founded and rooted in reality.

Also try being a new dad while being a professional athlete. You'll find it's a lot harder than typing it on a forum.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1050, 1051, 1052 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1051 of 1536
Jump to: