OFFICIAL JULIUS RANDLE THREAD!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1111, 1112, 1113 ... 1238, 1239, 1240  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 4995

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
Uhm...it's preseason folks. Playing around with lineups is what you do.

I'm not sure how people think Luke and staff should be using this time. There's a lot for them to do, a lot to learn, and a lot to look at in a very short period of time.

If Luke starts Blue, Deng, and Bogut next game, we should all be cheering. Because we need to actually see what all these players can do and how they can succeed in different combinations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 3103
Location: Oceanside Ca

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject:

Randle looked good these last few games. Looks like he has learned how to use his gears
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Sep 2001
Posts: 7155
Location: Eagle Rock

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:
Nance and Kuzma should start over “bull in a china shop” Randle.


Randle has outplayed both but why bother with actually watching the games


I have watched all the games and Kuzma is surely outplaying Randle. Not Nance though, but Nance is still more consistent on D. Randle has improved a great deal though and I like that. Much better than he was last season.

Its not such a dig at Randle as it is Kuzma just being an amazingly gifted player. Kuzma is probably the best player on our team now.


Kuzma has scored better but Randle has defended better, rebounded better and set guys up better. I guess it depends on if you are enamored with scoring or more all around play. Overall so far, they have looked good on the floor together, they seem to look to set each other up.


We will have to continue to agree to disagree on Randle's defense. Agree that Randle is a better rebounder but disagree that Randle is a better defender.
_________________
R.I.P. Doc Buss

"I think we often overlook the best way for a team like these Lakers to obtain star level players is to turn their current players into stars, rather than looking for outside help."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Jul 2012
Posts: 28791
Location: Holland

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject:

Kuzma was getting killed down the stretch in the fourth, but so was Randle. But with Randle it was because he was guarding Gobert, which is Luke's fault. Lopez should have been in.

As for Kuzma, he can't handle fours (yet). This is why he needs to play the 3, offensively and defensively. Come on luke..... do it already
_________________
also sprach magic johnson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Laker_Town
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Jun 2006
Posts: 23420

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject:

What's this article ESPN radio is talking about in which Randle is pissed?

Something about him being mad because Nance is starting?

ESPN stirring stuff up again?


Found it
Quote:
.Randle is fired up according to Luke Walton now that he has to earn the starting power forward spot in a competition with Larry Nance Jr.


Quote:
.He's pissed off," said Walton, who started Nance for the second straight preseason game on Tuesday night against Utah. "He seems to be pissed off. But he's using it to play with an edge.


link
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 3103
Location: Oceanside Ca

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

I thought Randle played better off the bench. Does anyone know if there is someone that works with the players? Teaches them how to uses their body and speed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakers4sho
Sixth Man
Sixth Man


Joined: 06 Aug 2008
Posts: 53
Location: Shambala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
What's this article ESPN radio is talking about in which Randle is pissed?

Something about him being mad because Nance is starting?

ESPN stirring stuff up again?


Found it
Quote:
.Randle is fired up according to Luke Walton now that he has to earn the starting power forward spot in a competition with Larry Nance Jr.


Quote:
.He's pissed off," said Walton, who started Nance for the second straight preseason game on Tuesday night against Utah. "He seems to be pissed off. But he's using it to play with an edge.


link


I don't think "pissed" here has the connotation of being "mad"

just the usual motivation to get pumped up type of thing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
22
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Apr 2013
Posts: 15308

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject:

lakers4sho wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:
What's this article ESPN radio is talking about in which Randle is pissed?

Something about him being mad because Nance is starting?

ESPN stirring stuff up again?


Found it
Quote:
.Randle is fired up according to Luke Walton now that he has to earn the starting power forward spot in a competition with Larry Nance Jr.


Quote:
.He's pissed off," said Walton, who started Nance for the second straight preseason game on Tuesday night against Utah. "He seems to be pissed off. But he's using it to play with an edge.


link


I don't think "pissed" here has the connotation of being "mad"

just the usual motivation to get pumped up type of thing

Agreed. It might be working too. Julius' defense has been a crap ton more consistent
_________________
Blake Griffin's ankles beware....Randle is coming
The youngins are YOUNG, let them learn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 10174

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Agreed. It might be working too. Julius' defense has been a crap ton more consistent


His defense has been good pretty much throughout. He's leading the team in blocks, steals, and rebounds currently, and his help defense is noticeably improved.

I think the one thing that these two games does show though is how fickle any type of +/- stat is. When you look at the bottom 5 players in +/- it is basically the starting lineup for most of the preseason:

15. Randle -6.4
16. Nance -7.4
17/18: Ingram/Pope -9
19. Ball -11.5

The top players who have played any substantial minutes are all the bench crew:

3. Blue +5
4. Caruso +3.8
5. Bryant +3
6. Hart +2.7
7. Kuzma +1.8
8. Clarkson Even

Then you swap out Randle to the bench and he is a +11 (team high) and +5 in two games. All that really shows is that similar to last season the bench is outperforming the starters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
The Juggernaut
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 24 Aug 2017
Posts: 493

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Quote:
Agreed. It might be working too. Julius' defense has been a crap ton more consistent


His defense has been good pretty much throughout. He's leading the team in blocks, steals, and rebounds currently, and his help defense is noticeably improved.

I think the one thing that these two games does show though is how fickle any type of +/- stat is. When you look at the bottom 5 players in +/- it is basically the starting lineup for most of the preseason:

15. Randle -6.4
16. Nance -7.4
17/18: Ingram/Pope -9
19. Ball -11.5

The top players who have played any substantial minutes are all the bench crew:

3. Blue +5
4. Caruso +3.8
5. Bryant +3
6. Hart +2.7
7. Kuzma +1.8
8. Clarkson Even

Then you swap out Randle to the bench and he is a +11 (team high) and +5 in two games. All that really shows is that similar to last season the bench is outperforming the starters.


A lot of it has to do with Luke's rotations. They have been piss poor since he became head coach.

Randle's been playing better but still has some really stupid blinder vision plays that really piss me off.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2014
Posts: 6829

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Quote:
Agreed. It might be working too. Julius' defense has been a crap ton more consistent


His defense has been good pretty much throughout. He's leading the team in blocks, steals, and rebounds currently, and his help defense is noticeably improved.

I think the one thing that these two games does show though is how fickle any type of +/- stat is. When you look at the bottom 5 players in +/- it is basically the starting lineup for most of the preseason:

15. Randle -6.4
16. Nance -7.4
17/18: Ingram/Pope -9
19. Ball -11.5

The top players who have played any substantial minutes are all the bench crew:

3. Blue +5
4. Caruso +3.8
5. Bryant +3
6. Hart +2.7
7. Kuzma +1.8
8. Clarkson Even

Then you swap out Randle to the bench and he is a +11 (team high) and +5 in two games. All that really shows is that similar to last season the bench is outperforming the starters.


you keep trying, I'll give you that but Julius deserved to be benched. The game before he got benched was a complete disaster, Julius was on his heels on defense the whole time so of course you guys didn't notice that, you saw the flashy block after his man ran to the basket after Julius turned his head.

Luke wasn't seeing the effort he wanted to see. Then, Julius gets benched and now suddenly he's "motivated".

Luke:
"My sense is it's more that we've tried Larry out with the starting lineup the last couple days than a contract thing," Walton said of Randle's anger on the floor. "Whatever it is that's motivating him, it's working out well for him right now."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
AFireInside619
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Dec 2015
Posts: 3148
Location: San Diego, California

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
lakers4sho wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:
What's this article ESPN radio is talking about in which Randle is pissed?

Something about him being mad because Nance is starting?

ESPN stirring stuff up again?


Found it
Quote:
.Randle is fired up according to Luke Walton now that he has to earn the starting power forward spot in a competition with Larry Nance Jr.


Quote:
.He's pissed off," said Walton, who started Nance for the second straight preseason game on Tuesday night against Utah. "He seems to be pissed off. But he's using it to play with an edge.


link


I don't think "pissed" here has the connotation of being "mad"

just the usual motivation to get pumped up type of thing

Agreed. It might be working too. Julius' defense has been a crap ton more consistent


How is this ESPN stirring stuff up? The guy is paid to report on the Lakers. If anyone knows anything about Randle, they know he's not happy coming off the bench. In the past, when benched, Randle has flopped tremendously. This time, he has excelled. His benching is at the hands of Kuz, but not because Kuz took his spot in the line up, but because we didn't want to make Kuz a starter immediately. I think by keeping Kuz on the bench and moving Randle to back up 5, Luke feels he can make everyone happy that way. Randle still gets a ton of minutes and Kuz doesn't replace him in the line up. Plus Luke looks like a genius because the combo of Kuz and Randle is 🔥🔥🔥. The issue will be when Ball returns and Kuz really shines next to him. Then we'll undoubtedly have to start Kuz and who spot does he take?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Posts: 1236

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Quote:
Agreed. It might be working too. Julius' defense has been a crap ton more consistent


His defense has been good pretty much throughout. He's leading the team in blocks, steals, and rebounds currently, and his help defense is noticeably improved.

I think the one thing that these two games does show though is how fickle any type of +/- stat is. When you look at the bottom 5 players in +/- it is basically the starting lineup for most of the preseason:

15. Randle -6.4
16. Nance -7.4
17/18: Ingram/Pope -9
19. Ball -11.5

The top players who have played any substantial minutes are all the bench crew:

3. Blue +5
4. Caruso +3.8
5. Bryant +3
6. Hart +2.7
7. Kuzma +1.8
8. Clarkson Even

Then you swap out Randle to the bench and he is a +11 (team high) and +5 in two games. All that really shows is that similar to last season the bench is outperforming the starters.


you keep trying, I'll give you that but Julius deserved to be benched. The game before he got benched was a complete disaster, Julius was on his heels on defense the whole time so of course you guys didn't notice that, you saw the flashy block after his man ran to the basket after Julius turned his head.

Luke wasn't seeing the effort he wanted to see. Then, Julius gets benched and now suddenly he's "motivated".

Luke:
"My sense is it's more that we've tried Larry out with the starting lineup the last couple days than a contract thing," Walton said of Randle's anger on the floor. "Whatever it is that's motivating him, it's working out well for him right now."


In that Denver game there were a couple times where Kuzma, Weber and others lost their man and Julius either had to clean up their mess or looked bad because he couldn't get there in time. That play I assume you're talking about where he swatted Hernangomez and then he got his own rebound and scored anyway, that was Kuzma's man but Kuz was totally lost and not guarding anyone at all. Weber, Deng and Brewer have had next to no minutes since then and consequently the team defense has been much better.
_________________
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2014
Posts: 6829

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Quote:
Agreed. It might be working too. Julius' defense has been a crap ton more consistent


His defense has been good pretty much throughout. He's leading the team in blocks, steals, and rebounds currently, and his help defense is noticeably improved.

I think the one thing that these two games does show though is how fickle any type of +/- stat is. When you look at the bottom 5 players in +/- it is basically the starting lineup for most of the preseason:

15. Randle -6.4
16. Nance -7.4
17/18: Ingram/Pope -9
19. Ball -11.5

The top players who have played any substantial minutes are all the bench crew:

3. Blue +5
4. Caruso +3.8
5. Bryant +3
6. Hart +2.7
7. Kuzma +1.8
8. Clarkson Even

Then you swap out Randle to the bench and he is a +11 (team high) and +5 in two games. All that really shows is that similar to last season the bench is outperforming the starters.


you keep trying, I'll give you that but Julius deserved to be benched. The game before he got benched was a complete disaster, Julius was on his heels on defense the whole time so of course you guys didn't notice that, you saw the flashy block after his man ran to the basket after Julius turned his head.

Luke wasn't seeing the effort he wanted to see. Then, Julius gets benched and now suddenly he's "motivated".

Luke:
"My sense is it's more that we've tried Larry out with the starting lineup the last couple days than a contract thing," Walton said of Randle's anger on the floor. "Whatever it is that's motivating him, it's working out well for him right now."


In that Denver game there were a couple times where Kuzma, Weber and others lost their man and Julius either had to clean up their mess or looked bad because he couldn't get there in time. That play I assume you're talking about where he swatted Hernangomez and then he got his own rebound and scored anyway, that was Kuzma's man but Kuz was totally lost and not guarding anyone at all. Weber, Deng and Brewer have had next to no minutes since then and consequently the team defense has been much better.


we're not watching the same thing then... Julius was guarding his man, standing there flat footed, then he looked to his right, his man took off, Julius looks back and his man is headed towards the basket. That was one single play. Julius was a disaster that whole first half, then he had a flashy play or two in the 2nd half. So now you are going to claim Luke benched Julius for lack of effort because Julius was covering for Kuzma - the whole game? Seriously? Julius was completely out to lunch and I wasn't the only one who noticed. Now suddenly, he gets benched and he's "motivated" and more active again. Hopefully this motivation continues but as far as giving him a big fat contract... yikes...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Posts: 1236

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Yea we're definitely not watching the same thing if you think he was bad in that first half. That was Kuzma's man but for whatever reason he was double teaming Murray even though Weber was on him, which is why Kuz scrambled back because he was supposed to be on Hernangomez like he had been all game. Randle was on Plumlee.
_________________
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."


Last edited by manlisten on Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Mar 2014
Posts: 16258

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject:

is this the play yall talking about?
https://youtu.be/48Mdo0uD65s?t=24s


iono bubba, look like Kuzma was guarding the ball when brewer was already there and Julius responsibility was actually Plumlee

Julius gotta notice that and react a lil quicker tho
_________________
I play video games while rapping, its...an experience..lol
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSJaL5nBD_NXUivus7AmqFg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2014
Posts: 6829

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
is this the play yall talking about?
https://youtu.be/48Mdo0uD65s?t=24s


iono bubba, look like Kuzma was guarding the ball when brewer was already there and Julius responsibility was actually Plumlee

Julius gotta notice that and react a lil quicker tho


no, not that play.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Mar 2014
Posts: 16258

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
is this the play yall talking about?
https://youtu.be/48Mdo0uD65s?t=24s


iono bubba, look like Kuzma was guarding the ball when brewer was already there and Julius responsibility was actually Plumlee

Julius gotta notice that and react a lil quicker tho


no, not that play.


dis 1?
https://youtu.be/48Mdo0uD65s?t=51s
_________________
I play video games while rapping, its...an experience..lol
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSJaL5nBD_NXUivus7AmqFg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2014
Posts: 6829

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Yea we're definitely not watching the same thing if you think he was bad in that first half.


the Denver game? you thought Julius played well in the first half? wow...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2014
Posts: 6829

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
is this the play yall talking about?
https://youtu.be/48Mdo0uD65s?t=24s


iono bubba, look like Kuzma was guarding the ball when brewer was already there and Julius responsibility was actually Plumlee

Julius gotta notice that and react a lil quicker tho


no, not that play.


dis 1?
https://youtu.be/48Mdo0uD65s?t=51s


nope that's not it, why the focus on that ONE play anyway? This isn't about ONE play.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Mar 2014
Posts: 16258

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
is this the play yall talking about?
https://youtu.be/48Mdo0uD65s?t=24s


iono bubba, look like Kuzma was guarding the ball when brewer was already there and Julius responsibility was actually Plumlee

Julius gotta notice that and react a lil quicker tho


no, not that play.


dis 1?
https://youtu.be/48Mdo0uD65s?t=51s


nope that's not it, why the focus on that ONE play anyway? This isn't about ONE play.


I'm just tryna figure out what play yall was talm bot fam

he only had two blocks that game tho, so unless it was the other game

Ion member the play you talking about
_________________
I play video games while rapping, its...an experience..lol
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSJaL5nBD_NXUivus7AmqFg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Posts: 1236

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
is this the play yall talking about?
https://youtu.be/48Mdo0uD65s?t=24s


iono bubba, look like Kuzma was guarding the ball when brewer was already there and Julius responsibility was actually Plumlee

Julius gotta notice that and react a lil quicker tho


That's the one I was talking about.
_________________
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Mar 2014
Posts: 16258

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Unless we talking about theoretical blocks after he turned his head
_________________
I play video games while rapping, its...an experience..lol
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSJaL5nBD_NXUivus7AmqFg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Posts: 1236

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Yea we're definitely not watching the same thing if you think he was bad in that first half.


the Denver game? you thought Julius played well in the first half? wow...


Offensively he was terrible. Defensively he was great.
_________________
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Posts: 1236

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
is this the play yall talking about?
https://youtu.be/48Mdo0uD65s?t=24s


iono bubba, look like Kuzma was guarding the ball when brewer was already there and Julius responsibility was actually Plumlee

Julius gotta notice that and react a lil quicker tho


no, not that play.


dis 1?
https://youtu.be/48Mdo0uD65s?t=51s


nope that's not it, why the focus on that ONE play anyway? This isn't about ONE play.


Because you specifically brung it up and now you're changing the subject?
_________________
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1111, 1112, 1113 ... 1238, 1239, 1240  Next
Page 1112 of 1240
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB