The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 113, 114, 115 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
Yumyumcha wrote:
Are people going to freak out and call Randle a bust when he hits the "wall" - about 2 months into the season when rookies aren't use to the rigorous NBA schedule of a full 82 games and their stats start declining?

Some posters have a serious vendetta with Randle being a bust. One in particular who I think is still banned but anyway there will always be those who overhype bad games.

Maybe that's why the FO got Boozer and other players who can play PF, to make sure Randle isn't burning himself out early. And if he's ready to assume more responsibilities at the end of the year, guys like Boozer will be gone next year anyways.
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Yumyumcha wrote:
Are people going to freak out and call Randle a bust when he hits the "wall" - about 2 months into the season when rookies aren't use to the rigorous NBA schedule of a full 82 games and their stats start declining?

Some posters have a serious vendetta with Randle being a bust. One in particular who I think is still banned but anyway there will always be those who overhype bad games.

Maybe that's why the FO got Boozer and other players who can play PF, to make sure Randle isn't burning himself out early. And if he's ready to assume more responsibilities at the end of the year, guys like Boozer will be gone next year anyways.

Almost as if teams need depth in order to prevent their players from succumbing to injuries due to fatigue.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject:

PushingtheLimit wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Yumyumcha wrote:

Almost as if teams need depth in order to prevent their players from succumbing to injuries due to fatigue.

Yeah. Don't want to push the limits on Randle too soon. Other teams don't have that luxury and then the rooks hit the wall big time. But we are pretty deep at the PF position, kind of ridiculously deep.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject:

I have a good feeling about Randle.... I think he's gonna be a beast from day 1...... I also look forward to him making Griffin look like a scrub when they match-up... I can't wait for the Lakers and Clippers on Halloween Griffin-Randle match-up is gonna be super exciting.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject:

Quote:
After watching Randle play at Las Vegas Summer League, Bleacher Report's Kevin Ding argued, "People who peg him as strictly a traditional, back-to-the-basket power forward are in for a surprise.

More than Zach Randolph, the guys he resembled were Chris Bosh and Lamar Odom with an eagerness to face up and drive to his left."

ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PushingtheLimit wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Yumyumcha wrote:

Yeah. Don't want to push the limits on Randle too soon. Other teams don't have that luxury and then the rooks hit the wall big time. But we are pretty deep at the PF position, kind of ridiculously deep.

Not only will being deep at PF help Randle avoid the rookie wall, but despite Boozer being past his prime, he can potentially be a good mentor for the youngster in the same way that Nash can with our young PGs. Hmmm...maybe the FO isn't so dumb after all.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:
After watching Randle play at Las Vegas Summer League, Bleacher Report's Kevin Ding argued, "People who peg him as strictly a traditional, back-to-the-basket power forward are in for a surprise.

More than Zach Randolph, the guys he resembled were Chris Bosh and Lamar Odom with an eagerness to face up and drive to his left."

He looked like a classic small forward in the summer league. I don't see the Bosh comparison at all.
Troublesome626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject:

^
I do see the Odom comp though from what i saw in the summer league.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Troublesome626 wrote:
^
I do see the Odom comp though from what i saw in the summer league.

I agree. Saw more Odom then Bosh.

I am excited to see what Randle can do over the season. Certainly have high expectations for him. He showed good ball handling skills and some playmaking ability at times.

More concerned with his defense and his being a consistent mid range shooter. Both Bosh and Odom are much better at either then Randle. That will come with experience IMO.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:

I never saw all this Randolph in him. He's more of an athletic Anthony Mason to me. Face up, drive by you and attack the basket
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Randle is a star of the future for the Lakers, and it won’t take long for his dominance to emerge.

He’ll be phased in as he develops and learns the system, and by season’s end, he’ll be the clear starter of the future.

A classic low-post double-double machine, the Lakers’ No. 7 draft pick also likes to step out to mid-range, where he’ll survey the floor and use his ball-handling skills to either drive to the basket or pass to the open man.

LINK>> LOGJAM
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:
Randle is a star of the future for the Lakers, and it won’t take long for his dominance to emerge.

He’ll be phased in as he develops and learns the system, and by season’s end, he’ll be the clear starter of the future.

A classic low-post double-double machine, the Lakers’ No. 7 draft pick also likes to step out to mid-range, where he’ll survey the floor and use his ball-handling skills to either drive to the basket or pass to the open man.

LINK>> LOGJAM

That's what I hope for him (and frankly expect ). He has that "it" factor that will be made better when playing with another alpha personality like Kobe.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

He looked like a classic small forward in the summer league. I don't see the Bosh comparison at all.

Maybe in Ding's expert analysis, he deduced that they both were dominant with the same limb?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject:

Randle looks nothing like a dinosaur to me
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

Yeah. I don't get the Bosh comparisons. Bosh had a devestating mid-range (now improved to 3 point range) game which Randle is still developing.

Randle is really Anthony Mason 2.0 to me without the off-the court issues. I think we will really like Randle this year. I kind of like the fact he will have a mentor in Boozer ahead of him so he knows that he has to earn his starting position from him.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject:

The next Lamar Odom without the burden of being a headcase?
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

Maybe in Ding's expert analysis, he deduced that they both were dominant with the same limb?

At least Odom and Bosh primarily faced up and used their quickness. Randle looks physically a little like Randolph but plays nothing like him. In college, Randolph just parked himself in the lane with his massive frame and arms and did back to the basket post moves all day. Randle mostly attacked off the dribble from all over the court. Even in the post he relied on quickness, handles and fakes. The Randolph comparisons are simply lazy (yes even by the NBA people).
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

At least Odom and Bosh primarily faced up and used their quickness. Randle looks physically a little like Randolph but plays nothing like him. In college, Randolph just parked himself in the lane with his massive frame and arms and did back to the basket post moves all day. Randle mostly attacked off the dribble from all over the court. Even in the post he relied on quickness, handles and fakes. The Randolph comparisons are simply lazy (yes even by the NBA people).

I think the Anthony Mason comparison is pretty good.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject:

I don't like the fact that Scott called Randle "raw" despite his high praise.... we need him to be a established player.... even if inconsistency is to be expected we need him to produce and show his production.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Video of Julius Randle tossing out the first pitch at recent Dodgers game:

BATTER - UP!
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
I don't like the fact that Scott called Randle "raw" despite his high praise.... we need him to be a established player.... even if inconsistency is to be expected we need him to produce and show his production.

You can still be raw and be very productive. Raw from a veteran of the nba like scott can be a lot different than a lot of people. So I wouldn't take it seriously to mean something very negative about Randle. And outside of probably jabari parker every lottery pick in this draft is raw to certain degrees.
prefuse1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Video of Julius Randle tossing out the first pitch at recent Dodgers game:

BATTER - UP!

Those pants are too tight!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Julius Randle really should start this year.

I know Scott and Kobe feel the pressure to win right now, but the more minutes Randle gets against top flight competition the better. I admit, Randle is a high-motor guy who needs to have his minutes watched carefully. But it's in the Lakers best interest to see what potential Randle has as soon as possible. I get it, Boozer is likely the better NBA player right now. But depending on how Randle develops, he could surpass Boozer by the end of the year. Just my 2¢
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Yeah. I don't get the Bosh comparisons. Bosh had a devestating mid-range (now improved to 3 point range) game which Randle is still developing.

Randle is really Anthony Mason 2.0 to me without the off-the court issues. I think we will really like Randle this year. I kind of like the fact he will have a mentor in Boozer ahead of him so he knows that he has to earn his starting position from him.

I think you hit the nail on the head as far as why they went out and got Boozer. First, the kid is 19 years old. He's not going to put up big time numbers right off the bat.

Most importantly, having Boozer in front of him will force him to EARN his starting spot. And for a young guy, having the motivation every day is worth a lot.
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:

You can still be raw and be very productive. Raw from a veteran of the nba like scott can be a lot different than a lot of people. So I wouldn't take it seriously to mean something very negative about Randle. And outside of probably jabari parker every lottery pick in this draft is raw to certain degrees.

In the NBA there are certain buzz phrases that carry certain connotations. "Glue guy", "hustle player" are NBA speak for good in a limited role. "Raw" is NBA speak for a young player who isn't very skilled or experienced but has one or more desirable traits that can be built upon i.e. size, athleticism etc. Andrew Bynum was "raw" when he came out.

Julius Randle is one of two or three guys that were considered NBA ready right now. Right there with Jabari Parker. Not a promising sign that the head coach thinks of Randle as "raw". Hopefully Byron just misspoke.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 113, 114, 115 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 114 of 1536
Jump to: