The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1203, 1204, 1205 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
MJST wrote:
Quote:
Basketball reference ranks [size=18]Julius Randle tenth in the NBA in defensive rating.[/size]

Didn't you just say this stat was flawed and overrated a few days ago?

Team defensive rating is a flawed and overrated stat when trying to pin it on one player.

It would tell you last year that the Spurs were a better defensive team than Kawhi was when he was on the court.

It's a better gauge of a unit's effectiveness as opposed to one player's impact on one side of the floor.

Which is why I love percentiles.

Julius Randle on isolation Defense is in the 82nd %ile. (up from 14th last year)
Julius Randle on spot-up Defense is in the 89th %ile (up from 8th last year)
The score frequency on Julius Randle when he's defending the roll man on a pick and roll is only 25%

Where he's been weak is the post up defense(such as against Embiid) where he is in the 7th%ile and given that when he's posted up it's usually by the bigger longer centers like Gobert, Nurkic or Embiid, that number is going to be very low.

Lopez however is in the 69th%ile of defending post ups but Luke doesn't use him late in games to defend the likes of Embiid while having Randle switch on the perimeter players..again cause he refuses to play them together. Go figure.

But those defensive numbers for Randle against spot ups and isolations show where his defensive strengths really have improved and the significant leap they've made and he's made.

Got anything else to say?

Last edited by MJST on Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheeChosenLonzo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
I'm still behind Deng+Randle for Wesley Mathews if we must sacrifice Randle to get rid of Luol. Mathews doesn't bring nearly as much as he once did, but he's still gritty and can shoot. Not bad for a backup 2 that can help in the lockeroom and work with the development of Hart.

Mavs are not going to absorb Deng to get a chance at randle
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
MJST wrote:
Quote:
Basketball reference ranks [size=18]Julius Randle tenth in the NBA in defensive rating.[/size]

Didn't you just say this stat was flawed and overrated a few days ago?

Team defensive rating is a flawed and overrated stat when trying to pin it on one player.

It would tell you last year that the Spurs were a better defensive team than Kawhi was when he was on the court.

It's a better gauge of a unit's effectiveness as opposed to one player's impact on one side of the floor.

Which is why I love percentiles.

Julius Randle on isolation Defense is in the 82nd %ile.
Julius Randle on spot-up Defense is in the 89th %ile
The score frequency on Julius Randle when he's defending the roll man on a pick and roll is only 25%

Where he's been weak is the post up defense(such as against Embiid) where he is in the 7th%ile and given that when he's posted up it's usually by the bigger longer centers like Gobert, Nurkic or Embiid, that number is going to be very low.

Lopez however is in the 69th%ile of defending post ups but Luke doesn't use him late in games to defend the likes of Embiid while having Randle switch on the perimeter players..again cause he refuses to play them together. Go figure.

But those defensive numbers for Randle against spot ups and isolations show where his defensive strengths really have improved.

Got anything else to say?

I think it's a flawed and overrated stat individually, too, which is why I was surprised you'd broadcast it in an extra large font. I only ever pay attention to team RTG.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject:

%ile will telll you a lot more than team DefRTG as far as an individual player's impact goes.

It's also pretty darn impressive where he's at this year defensively as it's been a monumental leap.

Keep in mind that Randle was in the 14th %ile last year in isolation Defense and has raised it up to 82nd. As well as the fact he was in the 8th %ile last year in spot-up Defense and this year has raised it to 89th.

Those are two significant leaps in defense.

Also part of the reason he's our teams best defender, but improvements like that only seem to always get lost in the shuffle or downplayed while the 'eye test' remains untouchable.

Oh well.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
It's also pretty darn impressive where he's at this year defensively as it's been a monumental leap.

Keep in mind that Randle was in the 14th %ile last year in isolation Defense and has raised it up to 82nd. As well as the fact he was in the 8th %ile last year in spot-up Defense and this year has raised it to 89th.

Also part of the reason he's our teams best defender, but improvements like that only seem to always get lost in the shuffle or downplayed while the 'eye test' remains untouchable.

Oh well.

I agree. His defense has been awesome, particularly on spot ups where he was trash last season. I'm not sure I'd call him the team's best defender considering how good Brook is protecting the rim and contesting shots, but it's a not stretch to say he is.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
%ile will telll you a lot more than team DefRTG as far as an individual player's impact goes.

Oh well.

Eye test clearly says he’s been good on defense too. Those saying otherwise just can’t see.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
MJST wrote:

Oh well.

I agree. His defense has been awesome, particularly on spot ups where he was trash last season. I'm not sure I'd call him the team's best defender considering how good Brook is protecting the rim and contesting shots, but it's a not stretch to say he is.

Just the fact that Brook is our best post defender on the team by such a wide margin and Luke doesn't even think to use him in the 4th quarter to defend Embiid's post ups because he is allergic to playing Julius at the 4 and playing them together is what is the most annoying thing imo.

He can't say "well I don't want to lose Julius's perimeter defense." Then play Lopez at the 5 to defend Embiid's post ups and Julius at the 4 to defend switches. It's not that hard of a darn concept.

But apparently Luke refuses to see it that way.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
MJST wrote:

Oh well.

Randle has been our best overall defender this year followed by Nance.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
MJST wrote:

Oh well.

Just the fact that Brook is our best post defender on the team by such a wide margin and Luke doesn't even think to use him in the 4th quarter to defend Embiid's post ups because he is allergic to playing Julius at the 4 and playing them together is what is the most annoying thing imo.

He can't say "well I don't want to lose Julius's perimeter defense." Then play Lopez at the 5 to defend Embiid's post ups and Julius at the 4 to defend switches. It's not that hard of a darn concept.

But apparently Luke refuses to see it that way.

Luke is just piss poor at rotations. I feel like he just wings it and doesn't look at the data or film.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Was having a good game out there today. Too bad he only played 16 minutes.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject:

I don't when Randle became no fire. There is almost no one in the roster fit our requirements. There must be something wrong, the coaching staff or FO as well
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Hit a three today too off an assist from Bogut, thats two games now he's hit a three. Hope we see more of that even if it's just 1-2, it's enough to keep a defense honest if he can do that semi regularly.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject:

sEEMS like something is not right after seeing Bogut getting more minutes. He was playing excellent defense prior to that . I think Luke playing with his mind.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Hit a three today too off an assist from Bogut, thats two games now he's hit a three. Hope we see more of that even if it's just 1-2, it's enough to keep a defense honest if he can do that semi regularly.

After he hit the 3 he got the ball at the same spot, faked the shot and drove for a dunk. He (and Nance) need to understand that connection.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Julius a monster in transition, some great defense, and a couple nice passes in the first half tonight
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject:

folks
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject:

#RunTheJules
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Great all around game by Randle. Efficient scoring, knocked down a three, great defense and some nice passes. I thought he played really well with Lopez, it's a shame we haven't seen more of that.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Max the beast?
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Great all around game by Randle. Efficient scoring, knocked down a three, great defense and some nice passes. I thought he played really well with Lopez, it's a shame we haven't seen more of that.

trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject:

So much for Jules running out of gas if he plays more than 30 mins.
GODBE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Amazing game. He's too valuable to trade away.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject:

FreakofNature wrote:
Max the beast?

Max??
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:

Yep he plays well with Lopez for the same reasons we all thought he would.

He also has shown very good chemistry with Lonzo and Kuzma as well.

The 4 of them seem to work really well off one another.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Great game Julius!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1203, 1204, 1205 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1204 of 1536
Jump to: