The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1238, 1239, 1240 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I wouldn’t get torn up about it bc we are positioned hopefully to make a big splash this upcoming summer. What’s done is done.

That's my attitude about 360 days per year. It's just when the Lakers play the Knicks and for a day or so after that I get bitter again about them passing on KP due in some part to Byron.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Randle working with Olson today on his shot. I'll post a video later.

He's continuing to work with Olson as well as Amoila throughout this season continuing to work on his body and his jumper.

Good to see.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

If we just sign PG, do you pay Randle $14 million a year to be our starting center next year?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Porzingis actually refused to workout for Philly and with the help of his agent did everything in his power to avoid that situation. Otherwise Hinkie most likely takes him instead of Okafor.

Point is that 2 teams passed on him. I wouldn’t get torn up about it bc we are positioned hopefully to make a big splash this upcoming summer. What’s done is done.

Fair point but with KP, LeBron can't wait to come to LA.

Want to see the Knicks do well so while it stings that we passed on him because of input from a lame coach and old school philosophy, at least NY got him and not someone like the Suns where we had it right in our faces.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject:

h2omike wrote:
If we just sign PG, do you pay Randle $14 million a year to be our starting center next year?

yes, Randle would be the best (ok, one of them) FA available once you struck out on the 2nd max
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Why do we assume KP would develop the same way? BScott probably would have just MJd it, called KP a (bleep) for wanting to shoot (and probably some other vaguely racist, European hating (bleep)), and demanded he play with his back to the basket. Then Magic, the media, and the fans would have ran him out of town
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject:

h2omike wrote:

This is one of the reasons I hope Luke will put Randle and Kuz into the starting lineup after the all-star break if our standing doesn't improve. We need to know how he performs if he gets the starting role when he has to face up with other team's starting center more often.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
h2omike wrote:

This is one of the reasons I hope Luke will put Randle and Kuz into the starting lineup after the all-star break if our standing doesn't improve. We need to know how he performs if he gets the starting role when he has to face up with other team's starting center more often.

He faces up against them pretty often as it is.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Julius Randle progressing with Andrew Olson on jumper

Enjoy analyzing
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
h2omike wrote:

He faces up against them pretty often as it is.

He is not playing starter minutes though and playing against them from a reserve role is different than playing from the beginning of the game.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Enjoy analyzing

His %s on jumpers are down significantl across the board, after all that hype and empty gym wetness this summer. Cant overcome twisting at game-speed.. some shooting coaches are good, his sucks
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
MJST wrote:

Enjoy analyzing

His %s on jumpers are down significantl across the board, after all that hype and empty gym wetness this summer. Cant overcome twisting at game-speed.. some shooting coaches are good, his sucks

Actually across the past few weeks Randle's jumper from mid percentage has risen back up to around where it was last year. Probably why he's been more confident shooting it as of late.

At the start of the season the numbers from mid were horrible(like in the 20s and 10s horrible), but across the past few weeks the percentages have gone up taking him back towards where he was last year.

Julius Randle mid-range stats 2016-2017: 38.2%
Julius Randle mid range stats 2017-2018: 34.9%

Still lower than last years however, but have trended forward enough the past few weeks to start pushing him towards where they were last year.

Hopefully it continues in that direction and he winds up shooting better from there.

Either way, whatever they've been doing the past few weeks with his jumper that's brought it back up closer to the mean, they should keep doing it.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Really doesn't matter what you do in practice. In-game is a different beast.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:

If you don't practice it never improves.

So I think what you mean is "he needs to be able to implement what he does in practice to NBA speed or it's for naught"
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

So I think what you mean is "he needs to be able to implement what he does in practice to NBA speed or it's for naught"

I'm not going to get excited by that type of stuff. Dwight Howard shot 85% on FTs in practice. Sasha was a lights-out shooter.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Apparently it may be hard for some to gauge a player’s value if that player is coming off the bench.

I’ve seen enough of him to know that even though I wouldn’t start him, he’s a “starting” center in this league.

He can get (near) 30 minutes a night at Center and finish most games there, so he’s a starting center.

I just like pissed-off Randle coming off my bench. His game has a lot of “lightning in a bottle” to it, and I think that can best be exploited in a spark plug role (who finishes as well).
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

I'm not going to get excited by that type of stuff. Dwight Howard shot 85% on FTs in practice. Sasha was a lights-out shooter.

You really believe that out of a hundred free throws in practice, Dwight Howard made 85 of them?

Were you there?

Don’t believe everything you hear. Howard and Shaq might’ve made “more” in practice, but I promise you they weren’t 80% percent shooters.

There are ALWAYS exceptions, but I have a hard time believing Howard is one of them. He, almost certainly, never approached 85% in practice.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Well now Joe, all of us need some perpetual humility here. If you weren't there either, I don't see how you could 'promise' that they didn't shoot that much better in practice.

That said, I really doubt it too and I think you're right
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

You really believe that out of a hundred free throws in practice, Dwight Howard made 85 of them?

Were you there?

Don’t believe everything you hear. Howard and Shaq might’ve made “more” in practice, but I promise you they weren’t 80% percent shooters.

There are ALWAYS exceptions, but I have a hard time believing Howard is one of them. He, almost certainly, never approached 85% in practice.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/dwight-howard-actually-makes-80-percent-free-throws-002057899--nba.html

Actually true, Lakers kept count out of 1500 attempts, 82%
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Were you there?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/dwight-howard-actually-makes-80-percent-free-throws-002057899--nba.html

Actually true, Lakers kept count out of 1500 attempts, 82%

Well they could have BSed that whiteboard.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Yeah anything can be BS but that is proof that he is a mental midget.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Free throws are always the same speed. In game and in practice.

Making them in practice and missing them in games means it's a mental thing more so than all else.

Jumpshot change in practice to game, depending on speed of the game and scenario. So it's more a form and being comfortable as well as mental situation. That's why it's always good to practice different types of jumpers. Such as spot ups as well as off the dribble as well as off high screen and rolls etc.

For example, Ingram practiced this summer on his jumper on spot ups. That's where it improved, but he wasn't trying it off the dribble or off screen and rolls.

It came back to bite him in the Knicks game and now today he was practicing his jumper off screen and rolls and off the dribble.

With Randle it's more not rushing them in games and practicing them at a closer to game time speed.

What I've noticed in his recent clip which I've shared is that his release is a bit faster than it was during the summer.

Whether that helps in games shall be seen. However as of late his mid range jumper the past few weeks has been far better than it was at the start of the season, enough that his percentage from mid is rising back to the mean after starting the season far lower.

So whatever they have changed or have done that's gotten his jumper responding that way from mid, they should keep at it and hope it continues to progress.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject:

YOU DONT KNOW WHAT PLAYERS PRACTICE IN THE 22 HOURS THAT WE/MEDIA DON'T SEE THEM. You say "Ingram practices his spot up J so it improved." He was shooting 31% from 3 before last game, on .8 less attempts. Its early to say it's improved. And it's not logical to assume you know what players practice and don't
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
YOU DONT KNOW WHAT PLAYERS PRACTICE IN THE 22 HOURS THAT WE/MEDIA DON'T SEE THEM. You say "Ingram practices his spot up J so it improved." He was shooting 31% from 3 before last game, on .8 less attempts. Its early to say it's improved. And it's not logical to assume you know what players practice and don't

Ingram's jump shot improvement came in his spot ups and his spot ups came from more than three.

Every other kind of jumper he took he had terrible effectiveness and efficiency with.

It's even more evident when he didn't have it as a go to move to counter when he was being defended a certain way when it was open, and his lack of footwork and balance when he took them as if they were still very unnatural to him where some even reverted back to his old shot form was enough to tell you he didn't work much on it.

Whereas for his spot ups his jump shot looked completely revamped as well as much more consistent.

So take from that what you will.

He now is very much working on his off the dribble jumper and his off high screen and roll jumpers after he got shut down in the Knicks game.

Be aware that the counter to how the Knicks were defending him would have been utilizing that exact kind of shot, but he tried to force it inside instead.

The reason? He had no confidence nor timing with the counter.

This is why he's working on it more primarily now.

As I said, that humbling game forced him to have to take that aspect of his game more seriously, and once more, that's not a bad thing.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
For example, Ingram practiced this summer on his jumper on spot ups. That's where it improved, but he wasn't trying it off the dribble or off screen and rolls.

It took me all of one minute to find a video titled "Lakers Summer Workouts: Brandon Ingram, Jordan Clarkson, Ivica Zubac Fine Tuning Their Shots."

And twenty second into said video, we see Ingram working on his jumper off the dribble:

Can't spell "Just Making Sh*t Up" without MJST.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1238, 1239, 1240 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1239 of 1536
Jump to: