The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 141, 142, 143 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Quote:
Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi 51m51 minutes ago

Kobe on Julius Randle having him and Byron Scott as mentors: "It means he can't f--- it up. If you f--- this up you're a really big idiot."

lol. Love it.

This is good stuff. I love the idea of randle working with kobe since randles bread n butter will be the triple threat. Kobe is the best. Also wouldn't mind kobe helping randle in the post with that foot work. I hope randle takes full advantage while Kobe is available.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Especially when its sacre taking turnaround 15 footers smh. The second unit needs to live and die by randle while swaggy is out

Yeah, man. I was screaming at the TV whenever that would happen lol.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject:

Wow, so where did Julius pick up that mid range shot so quickly? Hopefully he has been shooting 500 of those a day after practice and it wasn't just a lucky game last night.

He looked really good last night and certainly deserves more playing time based on that.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
Wow, so where did Julius pick up that mid range shot so quickly? Hopefully he has been shooting 500 of those a day after practice and it wasn't just a lucky game last night.

He looked really good last night and certainly deserves more playing time based on that.

He's been slowly hitting those shots over the past two games. I still stress to calm down with the Randle expectations. He's still a 19 year old rookie.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
24 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
TheElectronica wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Exum has looked meh to me especially as a lottery pick. Randle has the more potential honestly.

Exum has looked like a young kid learning the point guard position, while Randle looked like the college star that lead his team to the NCAA championship game.

It should be of no shock that Exum is struggling. What is worrisome is how easily he got ripped by Price and how much he struggled staying with Price. There would be a learning curve with Dante at the point, but so far it seems like the only thing he can do competently at the point guard position is run the pick and roll.

Randle has looked better now and is in a better opportunity to improve his game. Exum's biggest issue will be the fact that he doesn't have a position and a unique skill set that Utah may not be equip to develop. Exum is going to need the ball in his hands to create, but how much of having Burke and Hayward will stunt Exum's growth? That shot is broken also, so playing him off-ball is not in the equation right now.

As for Randle, having guys like Boozer, Kobe, Scott, and Nash around will be a great stepping stone for him. I think having veterans around help develop young players into stars, and keeps players from turning into busts by developing awful habits.

I've repeatedly said that Exum's handle is not tight at all. He barely has control of the ball sometimes. Not PG tight. Part of the reason that i think he should be a ball dominant SG. Yes, a pass first ball dominant SG.

Randle showed tonight how much of a spark and scoring threat that he will one day be. When his jumper is falling he will put up points consecutively, in the blink of an eye. He will pick you apart one way or the other, with his J, and then off the dribble; and there's no way in hell you will be able to stop both. I also can't wait to see his coast to coast point-forward skills develop, and also his half court playmaking skills (passing). Randle will be as dynamic as it gets.
BTW, maybe it should be mentioned that during Randle's FLASH tonight, he was playing SF defensively. conserving energy by not having to finish a defensive possession with a box out and a rebound. Takes a lot of stamina to be a big man in this league, especially considering how much PnR they have to help defend.

Good eyes. I tink they are trying him defending threes, and will soon try matching him up there entirely. If he can guard thress and get past them with the ball, that opens up all kinds of options, and some playing time for Kelly. Wouldn't be good news for Wes.

Yea, the ol' optimist Greenfrog pointed out that he was playing the 3. He was indeed defending their SF Danteh Jones, but, Randle was being defended by their 4 - Novak.
I really believe that playing him at the 3 at least defensively, would help his stamina. On the offensive end, whatever position guards him, Scott/Randle should try to play to Julius' advantage vs. that position. Take SFs in the post 75% of the time if they guard him. Maybe that doesn't allow for him to play as the SF with the 1st unit tho. Would work beautifully with Kelly...

Novak is an SF you know... I don't see what difference it makes anyway. The Lakers have no choice over who the other team decides to guard him with.

Last edited by greenfrog on Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject:

Best game I seen from him since that Denver game; he displayed a little of everything out there. He was solid last night...
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject:

^ and he did it in limited minutes..... he needs to get consistent minutes for his game to open up.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Best game I seen from him since that Denver game; he displayed a little of everything out there. He was solid last night...

From half to half he looked like a different player. I think perhaps playing him with two bigs (Smith and Davis) is what freed him up. He didn't have to focus on the Worthy Bigman Academy stuff and could just hoop!
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject:

2nd half was perfect. We ran iso plays for him and he shined... we need to keep doing that here and there.

I don't like that he's being used on the perimeter exclusively. He's too far from the basket to get rebounds and the kid can grab em. I'd like Scott to mix it up better with Randle.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject:

Inverse wrote:
After seeing Dante Exum for these past 2 games, what are your guys thoughts? Happy we ended up with Randle, or are some of you guys still resentful that Exum didn't fall to us?

No, if both were on the board I would still take Randle.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Good eyes. I tink they are trying him defending threes, and will soon try matching him up there entirely. If he can guard thress and get past them with the ball, that opens up all kinds of options, and some playing time for Kelly. Wouldn't be good news for Wes.

Yes, the pairing I am anxious to see is Randle and Kelly together.
gooner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject:

I like the fact that he was contesting shots. There was a defensive effort to rebound and block shots.
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject:

If look closely, Randle hasn't been able to establish position on the post on regular basis.

Whether thats because he has been asked not to, or the opposition is a lot stronger than those he played at college remains to be seen, its early days yet.

When he hits the outside jumper though, he definitely looks like a star in the making.

Exum looked good to, he set up a few 3 point shooters for open shots, and he showed a burst of pace to beat his man. He may turn out to be special with time.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject:

gooner wrote:
I like the fact that he was contesting shots. There was a defensive effort to rebound and block shots.

He has the athletic ability to be a great defensive player, I'm glad Kobe/Scott are trying to instill that in him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject:

Randle will play a face up game in the NBA, we need to get used to that. That is who he is. After watching the pre-draft combine I was telling people that Randle is flat out fast, I would love to see his 40 time. That coast to coast drive last night was awesome.
MyKRo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject:

That jumper will open up everything just like it did for Karl Malone & C-Webb.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:
If look closely, Randle hasn't been able to establish position on the post on regular basis.

Whether thats because he has been asked not to, or the opposition is a lot stronger than those he played at college remains to be seen, its early days yet.

When he hits the outside jumper though, he definitely looks like a star in the making.

Exum looked good to, he set up a few 3 point shooters for open shots, and he showed a burst of pace to beat his man. He may turn out to be special with time.

Randle doesn't seem to have had a lot of big man fundamentals coached into him in HS and college. His % on postups wasn't great in college, and mostly he got inside via drives, rather than positioning. He should be fine though. Blake Griffin didn't start out as much of post player either.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject:

Exum looks like Tayshaun Prince to me...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject:

I hope everybody stays down on Exum and he eventually gets pushed out of the rotation in Utah. I think he will be special if he can get out of there. It's a terrible situation for him to grow as a basketball player there.

If by some miracle Utah decided to shop him I'd be willing to give up the best we could offer which would be Kelly and houston's 1st
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RVCdesigns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject:

I am so excited about Randle, potential is there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Randle will play a face up game in the NBA, we need to get used to that. That is who he is. After watching the pre-draft combine I was telling people that Randle is flat out fast, I would love to see his 40 time. That coast to coast drive last night was awesome.

yeah, that coast to coast... I was saying, is that Lamar Odom out there?

Julius needs somebody else out on the floor to be a 3 point threat to open things up a little so I'd love to see him and Ryan Kelly out there as Kelly is also a willing passer.

I don't put much stock in Wes Johnson's "showing" last night as this is his M.O. You see him do that slam dunk and you think you'll see more of it and then... Wes disappears for 2 weeks so... maybe Julius works his way in to that mixed SF slot? He seemed to mix pretty well with Kobe, actually... I think Wes would be better coming off the bench anyway, it seems to be his mentality...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Only Randle has more fire in his belly than LO did. I don't think that comparing Randle to LO is wrong.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject:

When Julius is a 250 pound freight train pushing it in transition at 19. I can only hope he continues to get better and stay healthy and at 21 he'll be a monster force.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Randle doesn't have the perimeter defensive ability to guard 3s. Especially out on the wing vs 3pt bombers, as soon as he tries to close out he'd get beat off the dribble. Can you imagine him trying to guard kawhi leonard? He just lacks perimeter defensive skills, is just not natural to him. If he closes out he's beat, if he gives them space he's beat, and I don't think he has the speed or ups to recover after being beat. It would take a super long time to develop those skills to compensate and that would still be playing to his disadvantage and he'd probably only become average at it.

Just watch how he plays, is that not the definition of a power forward? It doesn't have to be over thought.
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Once his 12-15 ft jumper becomes consistent he's gonna become an all star.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 141, 142, 143 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 142 of 1536
Jump to: