The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 200, 201, 202 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Not to nitpick (great to see him on the floor), but way too much off-balance, fading/drifting shots here. His jumper needs a lot of work, not Madsen telling him "great shot" after making jumpers where he's drifting from side to side. That was frustrating to watch from a coach's POV.

That's a recurring problem I hope he can fix. Will take a bit of the inconsistency out if his shooting.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject:

JayLida wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Not to nitpick (great to see him on the floor), but way too much off-balance, fading/drifting shots here. His jumper needs a lot of work, not Madsen telling him "great shot" after making jumpers where he's drifting from side to side. That was frustrating to watch from a coach's POV.

You should apply for the Lakers shooting coach?

LOL. No, but maybe Madsen's not the guy.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

That's a recurring problem I hope he can fix. Will take a bit of the inconsistency out if his shooting.

He won't fix it practicing it that way.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
JayLida wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

You should apply for the Lakers shooting coach?

LOL. No, but maybe Madsen's not the guy.

What the heck does Madsen know about shooting?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
22 wrote:
https://twitter.com/lakersreporter/status/580481099027079169

https://twitter.com/lakers/status/580482264364146688

Enjoy!!

His jumper is coming along very nicely.

Sidenote: but he's got a nice little dreamshake going there. He could really develop that into something.

Agreed. Randle is going to be a tough cover due to speed, strength, AND the shimees
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

he actually does the turn on purpose. players do it to help get full extension on their follow through.
check out Steph's first two shots after :30 . and his shot at 2:00+
Steph uses the turn more than any player in the league.

here's Jule's using the turn to perfection on a J over Enes Kanter.

the turn can be the outlier for "going straight up and down" , it helps a lot of players and you're still landing in the same spot, they're not drifting. fading away(tyreke evans problem) is always bad, or not landing in the same spot period.

julius used the turn on a lot of his makes in the pre season actually. he's good at it
off the dribble. look at the dribble move too, not even a SF/PF tweener can guard it.

Morrow always does the turn too
Wes Mathews with the turn at :38+ , and his first shot in the vid , and 1:35
They always do it on that side of the court. Helps extend the arm and is fine becuase it aligns the shoulder
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject:

bum2 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

That isn't how the Lakers typically treat their young players.

They haven't had someone as talented as Randle often enough to have a method about how they treat young players.
Bynum was different because he was very raw. Randle has or at least had a little more polish to his game, without the obvious ceiling Bynum had.

They have treated young players the same ever since Kobe. Don't play them as much at the beginning of the season, let them learn the NBA game and lifestyle, and then increase their minutes as the season wears on. And it has worked well for them. Why would they change something that works just because Randle is talented? Either ease him in, or make him prove he doesn't need eased in.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

he actually does the turn on purpose. players do it to help get full extension on their follow through.

the turn can be the outlier for "going straight up and down" , it helps a lot of players and you're still landing in the same spot, they're not drifting. fading away(tyreke evans problem) is always bad, or not landing in the same spot period.

julius used the turn on a lot of his makes in the pre season actually. he's good at it
off the dribble. look at the dribble move too, not even a SF/PF tweener can guard it.

They always do it on that side of the court. Helps extend the arm and is fine becuase it aligns the shoulder

The turn makes sense, I used to do it as a timing mechanism. But I agree with GT, fading usually results in a shot that misses the direction you are fading. Turning and going up and down is fine. I do like his release, how he is shooting it on the way up. I can't remember if he had that same release before.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

I totally agree. No need to do all the faded away. Shoot the shot on balance, and at the target makes for a higher opportunity to make the shot.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

The turn makes sense, I used to do it as a timing mechanism. But I agree with GT, fading usually results in a shot that misses the direction you are fading. Turning and going up and down is fine. I do like his release, how he is shooting it on the way up. I can't remember if he had that same release before.

Yeup I said that too. No fading/ not landing in the same place. But with the turn U land in the same place.
I think Randle has a really good form for his mid range J. He can shoot it spotting up or off the dribble, off the dribble is tougher but he has that. He shoots it on the way up ur right, Blake Griffin still can't do that - although both of their shots can be flat, I think Randles mechanics are way better. I think he's as consistent of a shooter as Blake right now
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject:

The scary thing about Julius is it seems to me that most of this stuff comes naturally to him. It doesn't seem that he's been coached much at all. Thats why I have high hopes for him. If he's able to harness his natural talent and actually work with NBA coaches, the sky is the limit. If he is able to get the little things down like setting proper screens, moving without the ball rather than standing on the perimeter hunched over, utilizing the triple threat, getting a consistent shooting stroke, as well as a dribble pull up and the proper foot work that goes along with them, he'll be just as unstoppable as the top guys in the league. He has a lot of work to do, but that'll be the difference between being the next Laker great, or being the next LO (in terms of teasing us with the potential)
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject:

His shooting mechanics are good, but he still needs to really focus on consistently keeping that follow-though up.

I have seen some shooting videos of him and, when he misses a few, his following-thoughs drop quickly after he releases the shot. But then on his next few attempts, he adjusts and starts holding his follow-thoughs up and his shots start falling again. Same thing happens on his FTs.

Hold that pose for the cameras, Jules!
cinimod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

He won't fix it practicing it that way.

He was stationary on his catch-and-shoot. The others looked like he was working on a turn-around fadeaway. I don't have an issue with that.
DipNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Julius Randle provided a status update with one little basketball movement. He grabbed a rebound from his missed shot, planted with his back to the basket and jumped up for a reverse dunk

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20150327-story.html
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject:

DipNGold wrote:
Quote:
Julius Randle provided a status update with one little basketball movement. He grabbed a rebound from his missed shot, planted with his back to the basket and jumped up for a reverse dunk

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20150327-story.html

that all seems appropriate for this news
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject:

He's going to be so hard to match up with off the dribble and facing up. Too quick for PF's and too strong for SF's. If he adds the 3PT shot to his game then you have a #1 option, but for now he's a #2.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject:

From that LA Times article:
Quote:
It's hard to tell how the seventh pick in last year's draft will fare in the NBA. He's a bit undersized for his position 6-feet-7¾ in bare feet

Seems like he is a tweener at 6'8". On the defensive end I wonder if he has the size and strength to guard the big NBA power forwards and the quickness to guard NBA small forwards.
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
It's hard to tell how the seventh pick in last year's draft will fare in the NBA. He's a bit undersized for his position 6-feet-7¾ in bare feet

Seems like he is a tweener like Derrick Williams. On the defensive end I wonder if he has the size and strength to guard the big NBA power forwards and the quickness to guard NBA small forwards.

I've met julius personally and he seemed taller than 6'7. I'm 6'3 and there was no way he was only four inches taller. He's closer to 6'9 than 6'7
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject:

He is 6'8".
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:

Seems like he is a tweener at 6'8". On the defensive end I wonder if he has the size and strength to guard the big NBA power forwards and the quickness to guard NBA small forwards.

On the defensive end I wonder if the big NBA power forwards have the speed to guard him. Or if the NBA small forwards have the strength.

He's a bigger Draymond Green.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:

Randle is the same height as Boozer, both are 6'9 and he plays nothing like Williams. Randle has the strength of a PF and quickness of a SF. Williams has the strength of a SF and quickness of a PF.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

On the defensive end I wonder if the big NBA power forwards have the speed to guard him. Or if the NBA small forwards have the strength.

Not worried about the offensive end. We will see how good his defense is.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

Not worried about the offensive end. We will see how good his defense is.

I'm not concerned. He's got a very powerful base. He won't be a rim protector or anything like that but he will be able to play good positional defense.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
He is 6'8".

No he's 6'9with shoes, every NBA players listed height is with shoes
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
He is 6'8".
Wiggins is 6'8, Randle is about a inch in a half taller.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 200, 201, 202 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 201 of 1536
Jump to: