The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 216, 217, 218 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Not sure randle's good ball handling skills for a PF transfer over as much at the SF position. Kahwai would have a field day for example.

Leonard has a field day over a lot of guys so that's not really a good example.

His ball handling skills would be fine. His jumpshot is the bigger concern.

Of course but my bigger point is Lamar odom was able to exploit Pfs with his handles, not as effective against Sfs. Same with Randle. Would rather see him exploit Pfs than be pitted against Sfs.

He has a better post game than Lamar so he'll be able to exploit them with that. Randle just needs to develop a mid range shot and eventually a three point shot and he can play the 3 effectively.

I wouldn't conflate his ability to play SF sometimes with being able to play it effectively full time. I think his ball handling works best at PF. At SF it's less of an advantage and I could see him having charge fouls since he's a strong dude.

He's a natural PF but since he's young he should be able to play SF on a limited basis. It will help his overall game in the long run.
I agee with his handles he will be a nightmare for most 4's to contain coast-to-coast.

PFs also can't stick with him off the dribble in the halfcourt. effectiveness off the dribble like we rarely see. For instance, Blake has a nice handle, but he's not crossing guys and getting where he wants in the halfcourt off dribble moves, he's posting much more and just settling for jumpers.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject:

I think he can play SF in a pinch, but he's better at PF. Draymond Green is one of the most versatile defenders in the league and Randle got by him a few times in the preseason.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
You'd have to run the offense through him though, and have someone who can shoot at the 4. Randle as an off-ball player at the 3 is a terrible idea.

You have to have someone at the 4 that can shoot AND post. Otherwise it wouldn't allow Randle to use his size at 3, you just switch on D. (Why Kelly, for example, wouldn't work with Randle at 3.)

So, you're saying we are getting Lamarcus Aldridge in the off season. Thanks DB!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
You'd have to run the offense through him though, and have someone who can shoot at the 4. Randle as an off-ball player at the 3 is a terrible idea.

You have to have someone at the 4 that can shoot AND post. Otherwise it wouldn't allow Randle to use his size at 3, you just switch on D. (Why Kelly, for example, wouldn't work with Randle at 3.)

I'd argue that it's more important that player can rebound at a decent clip. I think that's where you could really punish the opposition, with someone like Nicolas Batum trying to put a body on someone like Kevin Love.

I agree. The point being you have to have a good shooting big that can impose his size down low should they try to switch. It can't just be a stretch 4 to make it work.

It would work even better if the 4 can also play 5. Then you can run the combo at 4/5 and 3/4.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

I'd argue that it's more important that player can rebound at a decent clip. I think that's where you could really punish the opposition, with someone like Nicolas Batum trying to put a body on someone like Kevin Love.

I agree. The point being you have to have a good shooting big that can impose his size down low should they try to switch. It can't just be a stretch 4 to make it work.

It would work even better if the 4 can also play 5. Then you can run the combo at 4/5 and 3/4.

Indeed. I think we get too caught up in positions, which (unlike most other sports) are just a construct. What really matters is someone's skill set. Randle's unusual combination of physicality and ball handling can be utilized in a number of different ways, depending on who's next to him.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject:

This is the Randle we'll be seeing if he keeps the weight off. FF to 1:10 and watch the ensuing action..
I remember Mike last year talking about he wanted this slimmer version of Randle with more vert.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
http://youtu.be/ybc5YxhNi-E This is the Randle we'll be seeing if he keeps the weight off. FF to 1:10 and watch the ensuing action..
I remember Mike last year talking about he wanted this slimmer version of Randle with more vert.

I know some people don't like when Randle is overhyped blah blah and all that stuff, but Randle really looks like Lebron at times like he is unstoppable once he gets going. He really has the size and speed to exert his will combined with the handles. Keeping him at the slimmer part of his weight is a really good idea. I think that gives him an even greater edge to blow by the 4s in the league.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
http://youtu.be/ybc5YxhNi-E This is the Randle we'll be seeing if he keeps the weight off. FF to 1:10 and watch the ensuing action..

I know some people don't like when Randle is overhyped blah blah and all that stuff, but Randle really looks like Lebron at times like he is unstoppable once he gets going. He really has the size and speed to exert his will combined with the handles. Keeping him at the slimmer part of his weight is a really good idea. I think that gives him an even greater edge to blow by the 4s in the league.
If this video is any indication to what lies ahead, JR is going to be an all-star before its all said and done. Can't wait until next season.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Koufus
Randle
Middleton
Kobe
Clarkson

That could be a realistic get in the offseason, plus add in a likely #4 pick. I agree Randle is a lot like Odom - he sort of suffered when he played the 3 but became a powerful weapon when we found that he could rebound and play defense well enough at the 4. Combined with his ability to meet other PF's off the dribble and good passing ability (one of the best team players the Lakers have had in the last 25 years), made a great combination. Needs to play with a good shooting SF and a tough C, and he could eb a vital cog in the rebuild.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
Koufus
Randle
Middleton
Kobe
Clarkson

That could be a realistic get in the offseason, plus add in a likely #4 pick. I agree Randle is a lot like Odom - he sort of suffered when he played the 3 but became a powerful weapon when we found that he could rebound and play defense well enough at the 4. Combined with his ability to meet other PF's off the dribble and good passing ability (one of the best team players the Lakers have had in the last 25 years), made a great combination. Needs to play with a good shooting SF and a tough C, and he could eb a vital cog in the rebuild.

lottery next yr too.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject:

They probably will be a lottery team next year, I don't see them improving enough to make the playoffs.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Indeed. I think we get too caught up in positions, which (unlike most other sports) are just a construct. What really matters is someone's skill set. Randle's unusual combination of physicality and ball handling can be utilized in a number of different ways, depending on who's next to him.

That's been my perspective. Break the positional paradigm by forcing the defense to out their smaller guy on one of the two. That guy becomes the four and the other guy the three, in essence.

BTW, Kelly works in a different sense. Yes, you can put the three on him, but he stretches the floor and allows Randle to attack the four off the face up.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
They probably will be a lottery team next year, I don't see them improving enough to make the playoffs.

I doubt we see them make the playoffs either. We would have to be a 45-48 winning team in order to just make the 8th seed. No way we see them pull that off no matter what moves we make.

That's why IMO it's worth more to just acquire best young talent we can get and just have a fun year next season and see how far they progress while keeping expectations low.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject:

24 - Yeah but at best Kelly's been a third string 3. So many better options there. I hope he can become a knockdown three shooter as a backup 4 that will let our PGs or post game from the C have room. But he and Randle just don't seem like they will be the best combo on the floor. Kelly can't rebound well enough and can't post and has just looked horrid at the 3.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Ya he was already good enough to beat them off the dribble at will, but now maybe he gets to the rim quicker and then dunks it when he gets there too. the dunk in that video is special. he just has to keep enough weight to bump guys off on the drive too. He has to find his best weight - at this point he doesn't know if he wants to be heavier and bump guys to rebound or leaner and maybe just out leap them? Also doesn't know if he can still bump guys off on the dribble. wieght is something that a young big man tests out

Last edited by KeepItRealOrElse on Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
24 - Yeah but at best Kelly's been a third string 3. So many better options there. I hope he can become a knockdown three shooter as a backup 4 that will let our PGs or post game from the C have room. But he and Randle just don't seem like they will be the best combo on the floor. Kelly can't rebound well enough and can't post and has just looked horrid at the 3.

Agreed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

No doubt. My point was strictly that randle can play with a stretch guy of either forward spot.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Is Julius eligible for Rookie of the Year next season?

I remember Griffin winning it in 2010 after missing his entire rookie season.

Probably not I assume since he technically played a few minutes in his rookie season unlike Blake.
Kenji
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:

Probably not I assume since he technically played a few minutes in his rookie season unlike Blake.

I believe he is not because he played minutes in a regular season game. I googled around a while back and that's what everyone seemed to be saying at least.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Kenji wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

I believe he is not because he played minutes in a regular season game. I googled around a while back and that's what everyone seemed to be saying at least.

I can't find anything more specific on it but I could've sworn that I read somewhere that the league might/would make an exception for Julius Randle because of the unique situation. And that he would be eligible for ROY next season.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Kenji wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

I can't find anything more specific on it but I could've sworn that I read somewhere that the league might/would make an exception for Julius Randle because of the unique situation. And that he would be eligible for ROY next season.

You are correct. The NBA said they might make an exception for Randle but we never got word confirming they are. We'll know next season for sure.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I doubt we see them make the playoffs either. We would have to be a 45-48 winning team in order to just make the 8th seed. No way we see them pull that off no matter what moves we make.

That's why IMO it's worth more to just acquire best young talent we can get and just have a fun year next season and see how far they progress while keeping expectations low.

Clarkson/Lin
Kobe/Brown
Middleton/Young
Randle/Kelly
Gasol/Towns(Okafor)(WCS)

That team could make the playoffs.

Last edited by Roon on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kenji
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject:

I guess we'll find out sooner or later. Would be awesome if they make an exception for him though.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject:

Randle def has more explosion in that video. I like how he finished those dunks too. I thought he looked a little too heavy over the last year. If he can dunk like that he's going to get a lot of hype next season for sure.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Roon wrote:
Megaton wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Clarkson/Lin
Kobe/Brown
Middleton/Young
Randle/Kelly
Gasol/Towns(Okafor)(WCS)

That team could make the playoffs.

we can't sign both Middleton and Gasol.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 216, 217, 218 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 217 of 1536
Jump to: