The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 275, 276, 277 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject:

DipNGold wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
nash wrote:
32 wrote:
Dr J is in the gym this morning.

Julius Randle showing off some of his mid range

Julius Randle showing some of his mid range

A bit flat

Yup. Ball doesn't even go higher than top of the backboard.

Form looks mutter better from this close up angle doesn't seem that flat to me could use a little more arch though. https://www.twitter.com/DailyNewsVinny/status/615635261125308417

Not a big fan of the form. I keep thinking the angle of the shot pocket changes with every shot.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
gooner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject:

I think his release point is to early in his elevation.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
DipNGold wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
nash wrote:
32 wrote:

A bit flat

Form looks mutter better from this close up angle doesn't seem that flat to me could use a little more arch though. https://www.twitter.com/DailyNewsVinny/status/615635261125308417

Not a big fan of the form. I keep thinking the angle of the shot pocket changes with every shot.

I don´t like the form, it is flat (just like Kobe early), he doesnt' squares and his release should be higher. I look at Randle as a slasher, he haldles the ball well for someone his size, is stront and quick, but his jumper is a work in progress still needing a lot o work to be called decent.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I think LO didn't have a foot speed advantage over Randle, he is fast end to end. But I think LO is a good comparison, Randle has similar skills with a mature mind. I think Julius will be more of a scorer but less of a rebounder. What he does on D remains to be seen.

Didn't Lamar have an insane wingspan as well? His talent level dictated that he should have been the slashing version of KD. It's a shame he came from such a messed up background and could never get his head straight.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
I agree he could be a more assertive player than Lamar.
Randle has a lot of talent, but his PG skills/versatility isn't on par with a 19 year old LO. And the other thing - wingspan, defensive foot speed. Lamar was a very gifted athlete.
I don't think the comparison fits to be honest. Think they'll be very different players.

The comparison is definitely a lot better than the inaccurate Z-Bo comparison

Obviously he's not Z-Bo.

Actually I don't get why Z-Bo would be bad? I'd much prefer Randle use his strength inside and develop the short close jumpers Randolph has. He's been a multiple time all-star. He's lighter and more athletic than Randolph and wants to play from the perimeter it seems. Although he's supposed to be a very very strong physical guy (JR that is)

I'd be fine if Randle did focus on his close/mid-range game and become a force there like Z-Bo. It seems he's working on that in practice as well. Unless he wants to shoot 3's and become a very good perimeter scoring threat, being able to stay out there isn't nearly as useful as it is to be able to score consistently at higher percentages close to the basket.

The one skill I like in Randle though - he knows how to handle the ball on the break. That's something they should get him to copy LO, grab the board and push the ball up.

I wouldn't want Randle to play like LO other than that. You know stick at the perimeter, do the guard duties. Shoot a lot of jumpers or drive left. That was Lamar's game because he played that way since he was a kid. I don't think that JR's bread and butter in the NBA. I think he should work on perfecting his mid-range and in game ala Z-Bo to compliment his abilities from outside.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Nick Young's shooting form is kind of funny too
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:

It´s consistently awkward
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I think LO didn't have a foot speed advantage over Randle, he is fast end to end. But I think LO is a good comparison, Randle has similar skills with a mature mind. I think Julius will be more of a scorer but less of a rebounder. What he does on D remains to be seen.

Didn't Lamar have an insane wingspan as well? His talent level dictated that he should have been the slashing version of KD. It's a shame he came from such a messed up background and could never get his head straight.

Yep.
And Riley said when he watched Lamar first time, he immediately said that's the most talented big guard I've seen since Magic. He saw a guard, not a big guy or forward. Lamar's wingspan, PG skill and athleticism made him a very very rare and talented player. I don't think many guys in the league at PF/SF could survive and have success playing the way LO did most of his career.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject:

At the same age I take Randle over LO eveytime. It's not even close for me.

They're different types of players but are similar in the fact that they are point forwards
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The Logo wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Randle has a lot of talent, but his PG skills/versatility isn't on par with a 19 year old LO. And the other thing - wingspan, defensive foot speed. Lamar was a very gifted athlete.
I don't think the comparison fits to be honest. Think they'll be very different players.

Obviously he's not Z-Bo.

Actually I don't get why Z-Bo would be bad? I'd much prefer Randle use his strength inside and develop the short close jumpers Randolph has. He's been a multiple time all-star. He's lighter and more athletic than Randolph and wants to play from the perimeter it seems. Although he's supposed to be a very very strong physical guy (JR that is)

I'd be fine if Randle did focus on his close/mid-range game and become a force there like Z-Bo. It seems he's working on that in practice as well. Unless he wants to shoot 3's and become a very good perimeter scoring threat, being able to stay out there isn't nearly as useful as it is to be able to score consistently at higher percentages close to the basket.

The one skill I like in Randle though - he knows how to handle the ball on the break. That's something they should get him to copy LO, grab the board and push the ball up.

I wouldn't want Randle to play like LO other than that. You know stick at the perimeter, do the guard duties. Shoot a lot of jumpers or drive left. That was Lamar's game because he played that way since he was a kid. I don't think that JR's bread and butter in the NBA. I think he should work on perfecting his mid-range and in game ala Z-Bo to compliment his abilities from outside.

I can see the argument for Randle developing like Z-Bo, but he's more talented in terms of his ball handling abilities and more athletic. He's light years ahead of Z-Bo in terms of his versatility offensively. He's already a decent finisher and once his mid range is consistent, he'll be able to blow by other players and open up scoring opportunities. Personally I'm fine with how Randle is developing his game. A three point game wouldn't be helpful for him unless he were to play the three in the future. The one thing I didn't like about LO's game was him settling for threes

Last edited by The Logo on Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
gooner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:

Form can be a little "funny" and still be a good shooter as long as there is consistent mechanics and minimal movement outside the shooting stroke. There just seems to be so much unnecessary movement in his (Randle's) shot.

Last edited by gooner on Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

They're different types of players but are similar in the fact that they are point forwards

LO was putting up 16/8/6 in his first year at 20. I'd be very pleased if Randle did something similar this year.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
The Logo wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Obviously he's not Z-Bo.

I can see the argument for Randle developing like Z-Bo, but he's more talented in terms of his ball handling abilities and more athletic. He's already a decent finisher and once his mid range is consistent, he'll be able to blow by other players and open up scoring opportunities. Personally I'm fine with how Randle is developing his game. A three point game wouldn't be helpful for him unless he were to play the three in the future.

Yeah I agree. I'd love him to develop Z-Bo skill from inside the arc, combined with what he already has. He'd be a 20 ppg guy - and an all-star caliber player. Some see Randle being able to handle the ball and bully people into the paint with drives ala Lebron James. Personally, I don't see the same elite athleticism, elite PG skill level that Lebron or some of the PF/big guys that can handle the ball do with Randle. He definitely has some ballhandling skill, but not on par with 19 year old Lamar or current Lebron. He's not going to be confused with being a PG, IMO.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The Logo wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
The Logo wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Obviously he's not Z-Bo.

I can see the argument for Randle developing like Z-Bo, but he's more talented in terms of his ball handling abilities and more athletic. He's already a decent finisher and once his mid range is consistent, he'll be able to blow by other players and open up scoring opportunities. Personally I'm fine with how Randle is developing his game. A three point game wouldn't be helpful for him unless he were to play the three in the future.

Yeah I agree. I'd love him to develop Z-Bo skill from inside the arc, combined with what he already has. He'd be a 20 ppg guy - and an all-star caliber player. Some see Randle being able to handle the ball and bully people into the paint with drives ala Lebron James. Personally, I don't see the same elite athleticism, elite PG skill level that Lebron or some of the PF/big guys that can handle the ball do with Randle. He definitely has some ballhandling skill, but not on par with 19 year old Lamar or current Lebron. He's not going to be confused with being a PG, IMO.

Yeah, he doesn't have the same ball handling skills that Lamar or Lebron had at the same age, but he is still a remarkable ball handler for his position. He has better ball handling capabilities than most power forwards. One of the reasons why Griffin improved so much was his versatility to handle the ball along with his elite athleticism. Randle definitely doesn't have Griffin's athleticism but being able to handle the ball like he can is definitely a plus. He may not have the same athleticism as Lebron does, but he has the strength and quickness to bully guys on drives in my opinion
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Hmm. Come to think of it, you may be right about that. I just don't want him playing some sort of role he's not best suited to succeed in. The LO role isn't for him, I'd much prefer him starting at 4 and be given specific roles in the O.

We'll have to wait and see.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
22 wrote:

LO was putting up 16/8/6 in his first year at 20. I'd be very pleased if Randle did something similar this year.

And he pretty much plateaued there. Randle seems much hungrier to me
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
22 wrote:

One advantage Randle has is being able to move defenders. LO couldn't do that.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
22 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
22 wrote:

One advantage Randle has is being able to move defenders. LO couldn't do that.

Agreed. That strength is unreal even at 19/20
DipNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Looks like losing that 20 pounds has him back to his high school level of athleticism I remember he posted a 38 inch vert on his lakers draft workout would love to know where he's at now.

https://www.twitter.com/MarkG_Medina/status/615596082966458370
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
nash wrote:
32 wrote:

A bit flat

he just looks dead tired to me.. Zero lift at all

Last edited by KeepItRealOrElse on Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Not a smooth motion either, a little hitch in there. Get Nash in there quick.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
Not a smooth motion either, a little hitch in there. Get Nash in there quick.

A lot of good shooters have a hitch. Ryan Anderson, KD, etc
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject:

randle may or may not become an allstar, but I don't think he we will Nearly as good as people think. Best to trade him off along with Clarkson for Damarcus, if we can unload young.
Warren Coolidge
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Julius is looking good in these clips. He's slimmed down..he looks quick.

I honestly think he would be best at the 3.... he's got the measurable and ability to guard 3s..or 4s. He's solid facing the basket and slashing into the paint... the spot up outside shots are coming together..

Aldridge at the 4 and Randle at the 3 could do some damage on both ends of the court.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
22 wrote:

yup. those were the years Odom was supposed to be a superstar. I think the triangle messed up his game a bit, until he got the hang of it.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 275, 276, 277 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 276 of 1536
Jump to: