The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 325, 326, 327 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BstMde83
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject:

Bringing Randle off the Bench with Chuckers like Lou Williams and Swaggy p? All of them would be trying to score every time one of them touch the ball, we need Balance and a Vet presence with that second unit and Bass provides that. I fully expect Randle to be starting come November, we're in no shape or form a championship contending team, no need for that foolishness of trying to slow his developement in favor of the guy with more experience .
SaintStephen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
SaintStephen wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
Also, both Bass and Hibbert can convert the jump shot

Inside the arc. Same with Kobe and Clarkson. Nobody in the lineup you posted can make a 3. That means five defenders, all chilling inside the arc, waiting for Kobe, Randle, or Clarkson to inevitably take it right into the teeth of the defense because there's nowhere else to go.

Russell, Clarkson and Kobe cannot make 3's? And it is something that Randle has been working on as well.

Well, Clarkson hit 31%, and Kobe was at 29%. I guess they can hit them, just not proficiently.

If you're not around 35%, teams are not going to stick to you at the arc. Maybe sometime down the road Randle and Clarkson will be 3-point threats. This season, I don't see it.
BstMde83
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject:

That's why you start Young at the 3, he's been our best 3 point shooter these past couple of seasons. Assuming we don't make any other moves that is...
SaintStephen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject:

BstMde83 wrote:
That's why you start Young at the 3, he's been our best 3 point shooter these past couple of seasons. Assuming we don't make any other moves that is...

My expectation is the obvious Russell/Clarkson/Kobe/Randle/Hibbert alignment. Hope that Hibbert's rim protection works its magic.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject:

SaintStephen wrote:
BstMde83 wrote:

My expectation is the obvious Russell/Clarkson/Kobe/Randle/Hibbert alignment. Hope that Hibbert's rim protection works its magic.
I have a gut feeling Kobe is going to be the starting sg.
BstMde83
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject:

I highly doubt the Lakers would start Russell right away, unless Kobe is hurt to start the season...
repandpresent
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject:

Until his game improves I don't see Randle in the starting line up. Honestly I don't see Russell in there early on either. Randle excels at one thing and that is his first step, but he has always struggled to figure out what to do with in when he is confronted by lengthy defenders after the blow by. He's not a traditional 4, he isn't a stretch 4, and he isn't a point forward, he's a perimeter 4.

I'm seeing the line up of

Russell
Clarkson
Kobe
Randle
Hibbert

being thrown around. I see one problem, you can't have 4 perimeter players bumping into each other. You have 4 ball dominant players. Spacing would be horrible and we will have essentially two rookies. We might even break the record for the most turn overs in one season.

I don't want to be around when people start turning on Randle because of their lofty expectations of him. I didn't like the pick but I'm riding with it. IF Randle can knock down his jumper consistently and use his speed in the post he can be a very good player. I saw one real good move by him in the SL, he caught the ball in the post, turned around to face his defender, gave it one hard dribble to the right and blew by his defender and got to the rim before any help could come. It was fast and controlled. For the life of me, I don't understand why he won't perfect that and it's counters. He has to use his speed the right way. The dream was on of the fastest centers during his time and he used it beautifully.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject:

anybody else think hes going to pick up a ton of offensive fouls until he develops and earns respect and gets some calls?

it seems like he charges in like a bull, which isnt a bad thing but he needs to be more under control and know when to use his size to bully guys.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject:

I hope he learns to play off the ball more as well as work harder on the boards and defensive end. I'm not fond of the poor man's Lebron act he tries to do pretty much every time he touches the ball.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
I hope he learns to play off the ball more as well as work harder on the boards and defensive end. I'm not fond of the poor man's Lebron act he tries to do pretty much every time he touches the ball.

Yea i think he will figure it all out. I just think byron has been telling him to push it everytime he touches it and i think he wants to show off how athletc and stronghe is, but he needs to understand when to do that.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:32 am    Post subject:

Lets see what training camp shows us, but I think the starting lineup might be:

Williams
Clarkson
Kobe
Bass
Hibbert

2nd unit
Clarkson
Brown
Young
Randle
Upshaw/Sacre

or if we are playing small with the 2nd unit Nance in at PF and Randle the C.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject:

I think you meant to put Russel in that 2nd unit
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject:

The idea that a team shouldn't compete for a championship every year just because it's unlikely for them to win is not only silly, it goes against the essence of sporting competition.

Should the 2003-2004 Pistons not tried to compete for a championship bc they didn't have a stacked team like the Lakers?

Should the the 2008-2009 Lakers not competed for a championship because they didn't know that Pau Gasol would be traded to them midsession?

Our best starters should be out there, always, period.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject:

1st Unit:
Clarkson
Kobe
Young
Bass
Hibbert

2nd Unit:
D'Angelo
Williams
Brown
Randle
Upshaw

Will have to get Tariq and Nance in the mix as well.

btw, it's unlikely that our entire second unit will be playing together so worrying that there will be too many chuckers is not a big deal. Most likely individuals will be substituted in as the game goes on.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:
The idea that a team shouldn't compete for a championship every year just because it's unlikely for them to win is not only silly, it goes against the essence of sporting competition.

Should the 2003-2004 Pistons not tried to compete for a championship bc they didn't have a stacked team like the Lakers?

Should the the 2008-2009 Lakers not competed for a championship because they didn't know that Pau Gasol would be traded to them midsession?

Our best starters should be out there, always, period.

Tanking is a real strategy, it helped the Lakers get Randle and Russle. We werent competing for a championship for the last cuple of seasons. Mitch set the team up to fail so we could get high draft picks.

Now it looks like we are trying to compete for the playoffs, not sure if we will but it is hard for the fans to watch a team tank for a third straight season so i get what mitch is trying to do.

Russell. Williams
Clarkson. JBrown
Kobe. Young
Randle. Bass
Hibbert. Black
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject:

We aren't tanking this year, I'm 100% sure. Even if Kobe goes down, I still see the team competing, even if it means we end up with a poor record.

Last year, it was pretty comical seeing Ronnie Price/RKelly being trotted out as starters.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
SaintStephen wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Inside the arc. Same with Kobe and Clarkson. Nobody in the lineup you posted can make a 3. That means five defenders, all chilling inside the arc, waiting for Kobe, Randle, or Clarkson to inevitably take it right into the teeth of the defense because there's nowhere else to go.

Russell, Clarkson and Kobe cannot make 3's? And it is something that Randle has been working on as well.

Well, Clarkson hit 31%, and Kobe was at 29%. I guess they can hit them, just not proficiently.

My guess is that Kobe's shoulder won't be hurt this season. And they do have a guy who can make them if they decide to play him, Anthony Brown.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject:

BstMde83 wrote:

I would start Brown over Young, Young is dramatically better coming off the bench.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
anybody else think hes going to pick up a ton of offensive fouls until he develops and earns respect and gets some calls?

it seems like he charges in like a bull, which isnt a bad thing but he needs to be more under control and know when to use his size to bully guys.

He got one in the summer league.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

yinoma2001 wrote:
We aren't tanking this year, I'm 100% sure. Even if Kobe goes down, I still see the team competing, even if it means we end up with a poor record.

Last year, it was pretty comical seeing Ronnie Price/RKelly being trotted out as starters.

And Kelly out of position as well.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
SaintStephen wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

My guess is that Kobe's shoulder won't be hurt this season. And they do have a guy who can make them if they decide to play him, Anthony Brown.

Kobe hasn't shot 35% or better from 3s since 2008-09. He's not going to magically improve, particularly coming off shoulder surgery.

Brown is a rook, so there's that learning curve. His spots (corner 3s) are largely ignored by Scott's "offense."
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject:

Brown isn't your typical rookie, he is actually an adult at 22. If any of the youngsters start it should be him, he can bring two things we need, perimeter defense and 3-point shooting. But you are correct, the offense we ran last season isn't great for him. Hopefully that was a tanking offense and it gets tweaked this season.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject:

I want Randle to be in the starting lineup with Kobe. The kid needs to learn how to make an impact when he doesn't have the ball in his hands.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Brown isn't your typical rookie, he is actually an adult at 22. If any of the youngsters start it should be him, he can bring two things we need, perimeter defense and 3-point shooting. But you are correct, the offense we ran last season isn't great for him. Hopefully that was a tanking offense and it gets tweaked this season.

He's a pretty close replica of James Jones. Won't do much besides shoot 3s (and hopefully better D than Jones). He plays within his limitations, and given how it appears Clarkson/Randle/DLO/Kobe will all by vying for shots, it's not a bad thing.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject:

Byron already said that clarkson and Russell are the starting back court. He also said Kobe would be playing a lot of SF and even PF at times. He's also said that he wants Randle to take the starting PF spot. The PF spot is randles to lose and if you don't expect Randle to aggressively take the spot you really haven't watched him play.

Clarkson
Russell
Kobe
Randle
Hibbert

This will be our starting lineup and they will have ups and downs. If you want to land a guy like durant next season he's not coming here to play with bass and Lou Williams. He needs to see that Randle, Russell, and clarkson are legit players and can help him compete for a title.

do we expect Randle and Russell to come into the league world beaters? No. However, they don't need to be in order the build their reputation in this league as ballers. Once Randle shows his physicality to a few of the top PFs in this league they will remember how strong and relentless he is. Clarkson has already earned his reputation as a gamer in this league. Russell is going to make some stupid mistakes as a rookie but people are going to take notice of his vision and passing abilities.

Another thing is that Randle, clarkson, and Russell can all create for themselves and others. Their passing abilities are also really good so if we show good ball movement and unselfishness players will want to come here!

We are going to be a fast break team that's fun to watch this season! Why would anyone not want to see..

Randle grab a defensive rebound and take it coast to coast

Russell rebound and make a quick outlet for an easy transition bucket?

Clarkson rebound and throw and alley-oop?

Our time is now...there's no point in waiting anymore.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 325, 326, 327 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 326 of 1536
Jump to: