Official Jordan Clarkson Thread (Clarkson to miss minimum 1 week, moderate calf strain)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
I think you proved the opposite if you're saying these two are the best Lakers summer league players since a career backup, an alleged murderer, and a washout.

Randle is one thing. But the Clarkson hype is getting out of control.

Crittenton had NBA talent.

Bynum helped earn two championships.

Farmar has an international championship.

Wafer couldn't handle being a PG.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
pd23 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
RetroNikes wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Mitch finally hit on both draft picks. Clarkson and Randle should start this year.
This is just summer league.

So they will lose their talent once it is over?

Did Ebanks and Derrick Character lose their talent they showed in Summer league? Or did the competition get better?

Did EBanks and Character ever look this good in their first SPL?

With the Lakers in summer league:
Ebanks averaged 15, 3.6, 1.4, 1.4 on 42% and 45%.
Caracter averaged 15.4, 8.6, 1.8, 1.4 on 59%.

So statistically at least they were comparable. I remember the excitement about both of them during summer league.

pd23 is just saying we should temper our expectations. Penciling Clarkson into the starting lineup after 3 summer league games is ridiculous.

Caracter was a victim of Phil Jackson's system... the one where Phil refuses to play rookies...
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Ebanks just didn't have the mental capacity to take it to the next level. He had the tools. Caracter was never the same after his injury.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
I think you proved the opposite if you're saying these two are the best Lakers summer league players since a career backup, an alleged murderer, and a washout.

Just out of curiosity have you been watching the games?

Clarkson is long, quick and can handle. He can finish around the rim, hit the J or the three. He also tries his ass off on defense.

He doesn't look like he belongs in the summer league.....he's that good. It's not just a play here and there it's like the entire time he's out there. I'm stoked about this pick.

Never was stoked about Ebanks - He had DGeorge written all over him
Not about Character - He looked like he was just stronger than everyone ala Kwame
kinkle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson hype is definitely similar to Ebanks. That's isn't a bad thing though, Ebanks showed promise in summer league but for many reasons it didn't completely transfer to the NBA. Reality is they were 2nd round picks for a reason.

I'm rooting for Clarkson, I'm hoping he becomes a contributor to this team. That said some of you saying he should be a starter next season are out of your minds....
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Ebanks was too much of a party animal to amount to anything. He had the talent to be a 3 and D type of SF. If Clarkson is serious about basketball, he will have a different outcome.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson has the tools to succeed. He has a good foundational skill set, aggressiveness, and physical ability. What he needs is more time. He's still raw. But so is everyone else he's playing against.

I hope that he could get solid minutes as a backup PG or SG.

I'm curious as to what his work ethic is like. If he's a hard worker, he will end up being a starting quality guard in a few yrs.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:
LakersMD wrote:

Solid use of the "I disagree, therefore you must not be watching" technique.

I've watched every game. Just like I've watched nearly every Lakers summer league for the past decade at least. In fact I used to go to LMU summer league when I was a kid and I drove to Long Beach to watch Bynum's debut in person for example.

In fact I've gotten so used to people trying to extrapolate from a tiny sample size in summer league that it's gotten hilarious to me. It happens every year. I used to do the same thing myself before I learned it's a fool's errand.

Clarkson has played very well and I hope he can become a solid rotational guy for the Lakers. But to pencil him as a NBA starting caliber guard as a rookie based on three summer league games is absurd. If he ultimately becomes a starter, then that's great but I won't be surprised or disappointed if he doesn't because right now it's an unrealistic expectation based on a tiny sample size.

I don't expect to change your mind so I will not comment further. But I won't take the low road and accuse you of not watching the games.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
LakersMD wrote:

In fact I've gotten so used to people trying to extrapolate from a tiny sample size in summer league that it's gotten hilarious to me. It happens every year. I used to do the same thing myself before I learned it's a fool's errand.

Clarkson has played very well and I hope he can become a solid rotational guy for the Lakers. But to pencil him as a NBA starting caliber guard as a rookie based on three summer league games is absurd. If he ultimately becomes a starter, then that's great but I won't be surprised or disappointed if he doesn't because right now it's an unrealistic expectation based on a tiny sample size.

Perfect
pd23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
pd23 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
RetroNikes wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Mitch finally hit on both draft picks. Clarkson and Randle should start this year.

Did Ebanks and Derrick Character lose their talent they showed in Summer league? Or did the competition get better?

They both looked this good.
pd23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
pd23 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
RetroNikes wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

With the Lakers in summer league:
Ebanks averaged 15, 3.6, 1.4, 1.4 on 42% and 45%.
Caracter averaged 15.4, 8.6, 1.8, 1.4 on 59%.

So statistically at least they were comparable. I remember the excitement about both of them during summer league.

pd23 is just saying we should temper our expectations. Penciling Clarkson into the starting lineup after 3 summer league games is ridiculous.

Thanks.

Im not saying they are not going to be good, but we see players look great in SL and don't hear from them again. I hope they are both All Stars, but lets see what they do when the games are real.
moonwalker8701
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject:

I think Ebanks averaged 10% from 3 during his college career. He never turned into even a mediocre shooter in the NBA. From the media reports, he was also a poor practice player. That's the reason he never got playing time, even when the Lakers were bone dry at SF.

I like Clarkson so far. He's been hitting the catch and shoot 3's. Staying aggressive and just making plays. But yes, this is only summer league. Let's see what happens in the NBA. If he works hard and performs well in practice, he'll get playing time.
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject:

I also remember the Ebanks and Caracter Summer League season.

There was a summer league player ranking on NBA.com and they were both always in the top 10, sometimes top 5 over lottery picked players that year. They killed in in Summer League.

I'm too lazy to look, but I'm sure if someone bumped their summer league thread from 2010 it would look a lot like this one.

Which is not to say I don't believe Clarkson will be a good player, just that we as fans tend to get excited about the potential of new players. It's only natural.
pd23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject:

Triumph wrote:

There was a summer league player ranking on NBA.com and they were both always in the top 10, sometimes top 5 over lottery picked players that year. They killed in in Summer League.

I'm too lazy to look, but I'm sure if someone bumped their summer league thread from 2010 it would look a lot like this one.

Which is not to say I don't believe Clarkson will be a good player, just that we as fans tend to get excited about the potential of new players. It's only natural.

Here it is:

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=117605&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=725
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject:

Summer league is indeed fools gold, however, there are a few traits about this kid that are clear already: 1) he can score, he's continuing a pattern established since college, and he's going to get better (2) he has nice handles & size with enough athleticism, not elite, but NBA enough (3) i see him as an excellent talent off the bench who can give you starter like minutes as his game matures.... I can see how the Lakers saw that mil. they spent for his draft rights as an easy choice
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject:

Triumph wrote:

and here it is http://forums.lakersground.net/togo/thread.php?topic_id=117757
jorkerjork
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Here's my point.

EBanks and Caracter never looked this good.

Brian Cook, Luke Walton, and Sasha Vujacic never looked this good.

In fact, the Lakers haven't had two rookies look this good since Farmar, Crittenton, and Von Wafer. Wafer killed it as a #1 option back then.

It speaks volumes in terms of long term potential.

Ebanks rated very well in my metrics, but work ethic and character concerns really brought him down. I remember him being a very good dunker and garbage scorer in limited minutes during his rookie year. He definitely had his moments.

I like Clarkson's fluidity and movements on the court, but I haven't seen much ability, if any, of him making teammates better. Granted, our team is littered with scrubs and our offense is very minimal, but still, a good point guard would be able to scrounge a diamond out of a trash can. Just confirms my belief that Clarkson's a 2-guard, really. He needs to get his before he executes a good pass.

I know we love to see highlights and Clarkson looks very NBA-caliber in them, and he's also shot threes well. But his 2-point percentage is sub-40%, and while ragged summer league contributes to that, I'd like to see him shoot at least above 50% in a single game (don't think he's done that yet).

I like the sizzle more than the steak here, I guess. But at the end of the day, it's the steak that wins. That being said, it's very rare for a Laker guard other than Kobe to have that sort of explosiveness, so I can see why he looks very exciting. When deprived of food, even a small slice of meat looks good.
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject:

i think the thing about clarkson that stands out the most is his ability to finish around the basket. we haven't had a rookie prospect who could do this since.. maybe jordan farmar, who was decent. i really like the way he hangs in the air or avoids the defender's arms.

after watching a few of his highlights, i'd say he looks like a taller version of tony parker. he even has a teardrop.
Troublesome626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson's Summer League Development

Doc JC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson is no where near starting material...YET. He has the tools/athleticism, but has a ton of aspects of his game to work on, notably his handles and defense.

Penciling him in as anything more than a mop up duty guy this year is being very optimistic. He does have the potential to be a starting guard in the league though. I think that more than anything is the positive to be gleamed from his summer league work so far.

Past 2nd round picks have been pretty much throw aways in my eyes, Clarkson has the goods to at least be a contributing backup G in this league.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Troublesome626 wrote:

thanks for the video.
this tells me shame on the lakers coaches for playing him at SG so much when they had him playing point in practice. the guy was not running point in the spl for the most part. he was not looking for others like a pg. he was looking to pass only when his lane was cut off(which isnt a bad thing). but there's a difference between a sg that can facilitate (kobe) or a tall pg that can be a floor general.

they have marshall out there featured as the pg in the offense.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
LakersMD wrote:

Solid use of the "I disagree, therefore you must not be watching" technique.

I've watched every game. Just like I've watched nearly every Lakers summer league for the past decade at least. In fact I used to go to LMU summer league when I was a kid and I drove to Long Beach to watch Bynum's debut in person for example.

I don't expect to change your mind so I will not comment further. But I won't take the low road and accuse you of not watching the games.

I think your jumping the gun a bit here brother. I didn't say he was starting material or anything like that. I said I'm very happy about what I see so far!
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Caracter was ranked the best recruit heading into his senior year I believe.

So the guy had talent. Problem with him is he could not keep his weight down and had a very bad attitude.

Julius Randle has a good head on his shoulders. He just needs to sty fit and not get soft like Zach. It will ruin his face up game.
Karl Herrera
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject:

Summer league means nothing. A backup NBA player would easily dominate the competition.

Having said this, I think with proper coaching, Clarkson can probably be a starter in a few years time. I'm more intrigued with Randle. If he develops his game with a good coach, he'll be a valuable player in the near future.
moonwalker8701
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
Troublesome626 wrote:

thanks for the video.
this tells me shame on the lakers coaches for playing him at SG so much when they had him playing point in practice. the guy was not running point in the spl for the most part. he was not looking for others like a pg. he was looking to pass only when his lane was cut off(which isnt a bad thing). but there's a difference between a sg that can facilitate (kobe) or a tall pg that can be a floor general.

they have marshall out there featured as the pg in the offense.

Yeah me too. I kept waiting for Marshall to go out so I could see Clarkson run the show.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 18 of 30
Jump to: