Official Jordan Clarkson Thread (Clarkson to miss minimum 1 week, moderate calf strain)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ice_cold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject:

Really not meaning to rag on Clarkson. I want to see him succeed. And I agree - some of criticisms in video like that tunnel vision thing seemed a bit harsh.

It's just I hope he and coaching staff think about where they want to focus first in terms of building his identity in NBA because right now it feels like he is trying to do too much. And that could backfire and make him less confident about even those things he is already NBA caliber at .

I love his passion and desire and relentlessness. I just want him to harness it
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject:

You really can't blame Clarkson for rushing his shots when he's thrown the ball with 4 seconds left on the shot clock.

It's not like Clarkson touches the ball at 21 seconds, holds it till the 5th second and then shoots

More often than not Clarkson is given the ball near the end of a play or a broken down play and asked to do something with it. That's part of the reason he seems to be trying to do too much.

They're asking someone in his 2nd pro game to be able to bail them out of a bad play as if his name is Nick Young(with the bench). So I can't blame Clarkson for not looking spectacular doing that.

Clarkson looks more settled down when he gets the ball in the flow of the offense and knows how to roam off ball effectively or be in position to rebound. But when he's thrown the ball with 4 seconds left what does anyone really expect him to do right now?
prefuse1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
You really can't blame Clarkson for rushing his shots when he's thrown the ball with 4 seconds left on the shot clock.

It's not like Clarkson touches the ball at 21 seconds, holds it till the 5th second and then shoots

More often than not Clarkson is given the ball near the end of a play or a broken down play and asked to do something with it. That's part of the reason he seems to be trying to do too much.

They're asking someone in his 2nd pro game to be able to bail them out of a bad play as if his name is Nick Young(with the bench). So I can't blame Clarkson for not looking spectacular doing that.

Clarkson looks more settled down when he gets the ball in the flow of the offense and knows how to roam off ball effectively or be in position to rebound. But when he's thrown the ball with 4 seconds left what does anyone really expect him to do right now?

There were plenty of times where Clarkson had the ball with more than "4 seconds left" on the clock and still seemed rush. Why are you acting the ball is in his hands only with 4 seconds left?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject:

prefuse1 wrote:
MJST wrote:

There were plenty of times where Clarkson had the ball with more than "4 seconds left" on the clock and still seemed rush. Why are you acting the ball is in his hands only with 4 seconds left?

Because most of the time it was and in bail out situations.

The first game Clarkson rushed his floaters but more or less had the opening and took it. That was his first game however and I'm not throwing him under the bus for it. Once more he looked better off ball when the plays came to him, such as when Lin was setting him up.

The second game you saw more of him getting the ball at the end of shotclocks and lead to his first few misses as only one of those shots was off a set up play which was a 3 in the corner. The other was off a broken down play with 4 seconds left where everyone backed off and let him isolate. You can't ask that of him at this point in his career just two games in.

Once more he looked his best when he was roaming off ball or doing the dirty work getting rebounds and setting up for off ball plays. That's what's gonna work best for him now as he's learning the NBA game. NBA speed is still something he's getting used to and when guys are backing up asking him to iso and they stop moving there isn't much you can expect from him out of that just yet.

The good that came from it was he got to see NBA speed full force and can learn from it. But I'm not gonna be critical of him for having to deal with that much responsibility early on in the absense of Young.

Without Young we basically have two guys out there trying to emulate him in Ellington and Clarkson to mixed to bad results.

Hopefully X coming back adds some stability but he's gonna be rusty as heck. Henceforth why I'm glad we have 3 more weeks of training camp.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject:

Any updates?
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject:

I had 0 problem with Clarkson trying to create offense for himself. The offense was a trainwreck with that bench unit, so if he takes it on himself to get things going, all the better. I'd rather he learn in a trial by fire during this season where we aren't contending than waste time being cautious.

I wonder how you guys would have handled rookie Kobe...
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject:

ice_cold wrote:
Really not meaning to rag on Clarkson. I want to see him succeed. And I agree - some of criticisms in video like that tunnel vision thing seemed a bit harsh.

It's just I hope he and coaching staff think about where they want to focus first in terms of building his identity in NBA because right now it feels like he is trying to do too much. And that could backfire and make him less confident about even those things he is already NBA caliber at .

I think you're spot on. A friend of mine called him a "chucker" the other day. I kinda get where he is coming from, but like you, it's his 3rd NBA game ever and it is preseason and he just needs to harness that passion a bit especially as a guard.

Frankly, I'd rather have a guard who is trigger happy than one who is gun shy that's for sure.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ice_cold wrote:

I think you're spot on. A friend of mine called him a "chucker" the other day. I kinda get where he is coming from, but like you, it's his 3rd NBA game ever and it is preseason and he just needs to harness that passion a bit especially as a guard.

Frankly, I'd rather have a guard who is trigger happy than one who is gun shy that's for sure.

Agreed; this isn't college or the D-league. In the NBA he will find out quickly that the talent level is above his head (for now).
He will figure it out; the coaches and players will help him deal and adjust. In time I think he can be a good NBA player because of his passion and effort on the court.
I'm looking forward to seeing him grow as a Laker.
Dondre
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject:

Anyone know if Jordan is playing today?
cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject:

Dondre wrote:
Anyone know if Jordan is playing today?

Most probably not
"We have a lot of guys that have been kinda discarded ... Myself with the injury and the age. Jeremy ... a bunch of players who other teams really felt they had no use for. So we have that kind of attitude built into ourselves" -- Kobe Bryant
sammo
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject:

so far, i feel pretty indifferent about clarkson. didnt really exceed expectation, and played right about an average rookie level.

needs to learn how to play off the ball, and learn how to cut effectively to set teammates or himself in a position to score. should not be dribbling up the court and set plays if nash, kobe, or jeremy are on the court.

lots of people compare him to westbrook... i just dont see it in terms of athleticism/explosion, and westbrook's over-aggressiveness is sometimes (usually) a double edge sword - only works for him because he is top 5 player in the league in terms of athleticism/explosion.

i am worried about his durability - he should be using the preseason to win brownie points with the coach and earn NBA experience, but has not been able t do so.

overall for me, somewhat overhyped, but did not disappoint when you look at him as a rookie.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject:

IMO he didn't look to be healthy before the calf popped. I think it was bugging him.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson's hamstring injury happened because he put in hours and hours of work before the game and got there very early to do so. Overworked himself before the game and it happened.

So hope when he comes back he continues to have his work ethic but doesn't overwork himself. Byron's practices should be enough for him right now.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject:

It was great having Clarkson back.

He played well in 15 minutes of action.
6 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist and some good defense.
In the post-game interview Coach Scott said JC will probably play more minutes next game.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject:

I expect a few boneheaded decisions from him every once in a while. I also expect him to play completely out of control once in a while. He's a rook.

But overall I'm impressed with him. I think he'll turn out pretty good.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, glad he's back. He'll take all of Ellington's minutes once he gets back in the fold. Ellington when not hitting shots is pretty much useless out there...Clarkson has showed more too me in the time he's been out there.
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Clarkson's hamstring injury happened because he put in hours and hours of work before the game and got there very early to do so. Overworked himself before the game and it happened.

So hope when he comes back he continues to have his work ethic but doesn't overwork himself. Byron's practices should be enough for him right now.

If that's the case, it bodes well for the future. Talent without work ethic ends up being wasted.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject:

AirShooter wrote:
MJST wrote:

If that's the case, it bodes well for the future. Talent without work ethic ends up being wasted.

he's already fixed his jumper. and it's completely changed his ceiling as a player IMO. Especially considering the elevation he gets on his J. Go-to option wings hit Js in people's faces at will, especially mid range - I can see Clarkson developing this. And he already is good at attacking the basket. His ceiling could be Monta Ellis..
qiantom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson definitely has the mentality of a 2 rather than a 1, but he has all the tools to become a good 2 guard and a defensive stopper at the 2.

If he can improve his jump shots and work on defense in his rookie year, it will be great for him and the team.
Troublesome626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject:

He looked good out there tonight. Not sure if he will be able to run the point though? He's really is looking like he might the steal of the draft
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject:

He's got a ton of potential, but he needs time. The floaters and runners he got so easily in the summer league are harder to come by against NBA level defenders. Still unbelievable we got him in the late second round. He definitely has a shoot first, second, and maybe pass third attitude, but nothing wrong with that for a scoring guard. He's got the skills and athleticism to survive and thrive in the NBA.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LOVE that his jumper is coming along. may be completely fixed.
i see this kid having so much potential in the pick n roll
- he gets really good elevation on his J. perfect for mid range Js in the pick n roll
- he splits the help big and his guard defender, gets into the lane. great at this
- he's a nimble type of jumper in air. (watch his and1 on a fastbreak at 6:05 in the first Q of today's game) . i can see him gliding to the hoop/ double clutching and finishing well, being a nimble leaper - more of a westbrook who can slice through the air/double clutch, than a Xavier Henry who's heavier & less nimble in the air. he's got a good vertical, also.
- he's got a floater

the mid range J, the splitting of the P&R, and his explosiveness. he can be a problem in the pick n roll
who are you keepiyrealorelse?

are you a scout?
i was reading this whole thread now and you were right all along so far.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject:

What I'd like to see the Lakers do this off season is acquire another combo guard (actually curious to see Lin and clarkson play together to gauge how this works), move Kobe to the three for at least half of his minutes, and roll with three initiators, along with Randle and a defensive big.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
What I'd like to see the Lakers do this off season is acquire another combo guard (actually curious to see Lin and clarkson play together to gauge how this works), move Kobe to the three for at least half of his minutes, and roll with three initiators, along with Randle and a defensive big.

Me too. Fascinated what he could do next to possibly a Russell if we drafted him; a Dragic would have been a good experiment, too. I would think with the addition of another combo guard with more pure PG instincts, he could even be more of a threat off the ball slashing, cutting, in transition, and spot up shooting.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30
Page 30 of 30
Jump to: