HBO's The Leftovers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: HBO's The Leftovers

Did anyone catch the pilot last night? I was left scratching my head wondering where this show is headed. It's HBO so I'll give it a chance, but the pilot didn't really grab my attention.
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject:

Upper middle class middle aged people dropping out of their lives to join a cult of chain smoking stockers while taking a vow of silence and wearing all white is quite bizarre.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject:

Yeah, the trailers made it seem a lot different than what I saw in the pilot. I'll give it another episode or two.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, it didn't grab me, but then again, I thought Lost was crap, so maybe I just don't get the hipster show runner's stuff. I'll keep at it for a bit though.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject:

Hard to tell how this will end up, although a cult that revolves around chain smoking is brilliant. A little disappointed there wasn't more nudity. Like others have said, I'll give it a few episodes before I draw my conclusion.
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject:

The cult revolves around reminding people of what happened, the pseudo rapture. That is why it is called the Guilty Remnant, not the Tobacco Refuseniks.

They chain smoke to affirm that living your life thinking about future consequences is BS because you can be "raptured" at any moment.

I liked the second episode a little better than the first.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject:

What group of people is Wayne in charge of? He is not one of the disappeared is he?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject:

It's based on a Tom Perrotta novel. He also wrote "Election" and "Little Children" (both made into movies). I enjoy some of his work, but was not a fan of "The Leftovers".
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
What group of people is Wayne in charge of? He is not one of the disappeared is he?

I wonder if Wayne is some kind of fallen angel or the Devil himself.

In typical HBO fashion, there are only 10 episodes per season so I hope they at least start revealing a few more things. The opening theme and the Chief's dad talking to some invisible person does seem to suggest religious overtones to what's happening.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject:

DeeAgeaux wrote:
The cult revolves around reminding people of what happened, the pseudo rapture. That is why it is called the Guilty Remnant, not the Tobacco Refuseniks.

They chain smoke to affirm that living your life thinking about future consequences is BS because you can be "raptured" at any moment.

well someone saw the 4 minute video on TWC on-demand.
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
DeeAgeaux wrote:

well someone saw the 4 minute video on TWC on-demand.

Someone does not know WTF they are talking about.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject:

So anyone still watching? It got pretty good if you ask me. Episode 3 and the latest episode were my favorites.
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Still watching.

If Patti left that cabin alive it was going to piss me off.

Jill joining or at least staying with the GRs threw me for a loop.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject:

DeeAgeaux wrote:
Still watching.

If Patti left that cabin alive it was going to piss me off.

Jill joining or at least staying with the GRs threw me for a loop.

I think the police chief is about to lose his mind and possibly start speaking to voices in his head like his father. He told Patti he would rather lose his job and his life, than to lose his mind, only Patti made the choice for him.

Was that Steve Ballmer looking guy talking to voices during his last dialogue? He seems pretty nutty.
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

I think the police chief is about to lose his mind and possibly start speaking to voices in his head like his father. He told Patti he would rather lose his job and his life, than to lose his mind, only Patti made the choice for him.

Was that Steve Ballmer looking guy talking to voices during his last dialogue? He seems pretty nutty.

His daughter Jill joining the GRs will almost certainly drive PC Garvey over the edge.

It does look like Dean aka Steve Ballmer was talking to an imaginary friend.

Shooting stray dogs and giving away brand new pickups seem pretty nutty as well as joining a new "friend" in kidnapping and what you presumed to be murder .
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject:

DeeAgeaux wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

His daughter Jill joining the GRs will almost certainly drive PC Garvey over the edge.

Shooting stray dogs and giving away brand new pickups seem pretty nutty as well as joining a new "friend" in kidnapping and what you presumed to be murder .

I'm wondering if the bald guy is only in Garvey's head. I'm trying to recall if anyone other than Garvey has acknowledged his presence.

The last few episodes were kind of interesting, but I'm still just as confused about what's going on as I was in the pilot. That was pretty messed up what the Guilty Remnant did to the town's people. They deserved to get their asses beat.

Leftover's isn't a "must watch" but it's strangely compelling.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
DeeAgeaux wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

I'm wondering if the bald guy is only in Garvey's head. I'm trying to recall if anyone other than Garvey has acknowledged his presence.

The last few episodes were kind of interesting, but I'm still just as confused about what's going on as I was in the pilot. That was pretty messed up what the Guilty Remnant did to the town's people. They deserved to get their asses beat.

A fellow officer pointed Dean out at Gladys' murder scene, citing that he was late for his ball room dance recital, and pointed in his direction. Still ambiguous enough for Dean to be a figment of Kevin's imagination.

I wonder what Kevin wished for. Perhaps he wished to have his family back.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
DeeAgeaux wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

A fellow officer pointed Dean out at Gladys' murder scene, citing that he was late for his ball room dance recital, and pointed in his direction. Still ambiguous enough for Dean to be a figment of Kevin's imagination.

I wonder what Kevin wished for. Perhaps he wished to have his family back.

Yeah, I think so.

Did Garvey's son really just leave the baby sitting on the porch by itself?

I guess that's better treatment than the baby's mother.
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject:

The last ten minutes of the final episode did me in. I'm bailing. The son leaving the kid on the porch and then randomly running into her mother at the river was just silly. As far as I'm concerned, I wasted ten hours of my life on this turkey. No more.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject:

tony smith wrote:
The last ten minutes of the final episode did me in. I'm bailing. The son leaving the kid on the porch and then randomly running into her mother at the river was just silly. As far as I'm concerned, I wasted ten hours of my life on this turkey. No more.

Anybody giving this show a shot for season 2?
I don't think I made it all the way through season 1.

If there is a person somewhere on LG who likes this show. Could you please explain to me what is special about it.
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
tony smith wrote:

If there is a person somewhere on LG who likes this show. Could you please explain to me what is special about it.

HELL NO!
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject:

tony smith wrote:
kikanga wrote:
tony smith wrote:

HELL NO!

Yeah, no. This show is in the same timeslot with The Walking Dead, Homeland and NFL Sunday night.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject:

So I'm one of the few that actually likes this show. Thing is, I can't really answer why. Weird show, kinda depressing, but the last few episodes of the first season hooked me in and blew my mind. Definitely not a show for everybody, specially people that don't have the time and/or watch the more popular shows/sports on Sundays.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject:

It picked up towards the end but yeah season 1 was awful. I kept waiting for them to start to explain WTF happened or WTF was going on but they never did. I haven't watched season 2 yet but I'm gonna give it a shot.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
It picked up towards the end but yeah season 1 was awful. I kept waiting for them to start to explain what the heck happened or what the heck was going on but they never did. I haven't watched season 2 yet but I'm gonna give it a shot.

No one knows what happened or what's going on. Think that's the point of the show and we'll never get answers.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: