Appreciating Gasol
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmblakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Appreciating Gasol

We all know the final stages of Gasol being a Laker is almost over. As much as we love and hate him, he's always sticked around.

I saw this video and found myself inspired by our big man. Enjoy.

Derek
Fisher
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject:

If he's done as a Laker, he's got nothing but love from me. He's been a consummate professional, a great player, and was a huge reason for a lot of our success post Shaq. I hope he's back for cheap, but if not, I wish him nothing but the best.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Saw this a couple months ago. Eyes watered a little. Dominant 7 foot PFs are hard to come by. I'll miss him. I'm betting Phil Will snag him
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Too early to say one way or the other, but I do appreciate those two title runs.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject:

That was a nice video piece by Lee Jenkins.
lakerfansd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject:

i'm not sure people hate him, rather frustrated with him at times. he seems like a really cool dude, and a great teammate. despite his deficiencies he's going to be sought after as a free agent.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Kobe was the co-MVP during the 3-peat era, and Pau was the co-MVP during the repeat.

Pau has gone from my 3rd favorite Laker during his stay to my favorite Laker. It's hard not to root for one of the classiest fellows in the league.
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Pau never bought in to how important STRENGTH is in the NBA......which is why he still flails around like the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Don't let the door hit you, Pau.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Let's wait to see first. A bit premature.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject:

It isn't about what he has done five years ago, it is about what he has done the last two years and what he can be counted on to do going forward.

Let some other team overpay him, he will probably actually try on defense with a change of scenery also.
philipm35
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject:

I was wondering how long it would take for the post to be taken over by idiots who literally have NO IDEA how much we needed Gasol and probably will need him in the future, particularly is we want to court Anthony, and possibly Marc next season...if Memphis does not sign him to an extension during the season (which if you see how they dealt with Z-Bo, i.e. waiting til it was nearly too late to sign him in the offseason), so I would say everyone who hates Pau does not understand anything about how integral the man has been to the team's success and to its possible future, as well.

Also, I think they failed the reading comprehension part where it said the post was about APPRECIATING Gasol. If you cannot appreciate him, then kindly STFU and do not post in this thread anymore.

We are easily the most spoiled fanbase in the NBA, and attitudes like that are one of the many reasons people hate the Lakers.

Have some dignity.....you know, like Pau Gasol has had every day of his life?

P.S.--Without Pau, Kobe would be a Clipper right now.

#JustSaying
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject:

philipm35 wrote:
I was wondering how long it would take for the post to be taken over by idiots who literally have NO IDEA how much we needed Gasol and probably will need him in the future, particularly is we want to court Anthony, and possibly Marc next season...if Memphis does not sign him to an extension during the season (which if you see how they dealt with Z-Bo, i.e. waiting til it was nearly too late to sign him in the offseason), so I would say everyone who hates Pau does not understand anything about how integral the man has been to the team's success and to its possible future, as well.

Also, I think they failed the reading comprehension part where it said the post was about APPRECIATING Gasol. If you cannot appreciate him, then kindly maintain low tones and do not post in this thread anymore.

We are easily the most spoiled fanbase in the NBA, and attitudes like that are one of the many reasons people hate the Lakers.

Have some dignity.....you know, like Pau Gasol has had every day of his life?

P.S.--Without Pau, Kobe would be a Clipper right now.

#JustSaying

He made $19 million plus last season and didn't even try on defense. Get over yourself, you sound hysterical.

Last edited by LakerLanny on Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Some of the hate Pau has gotten the past few years he brought on himself, but people have taken it WAY too far.

Pau has not been put in a position to succeed. He's been asked to play in a way that's simply not natural to him. He's still one of the most versatile big men in the league. He's also still probably the best passing big in the league.

I don't think the reason people are so down on Pau has less to do with his level of play and more to do with his contract. A big that can nearly average a double double and consistently rack up 3+ assists is can help any team. Pau was overpaid but that doesn't suddenly make him a garbage player.

We've seen that when dialed in and used correctly Pau can still be a very effective player. He's no longer a viable second option offensively but he's a great 3rd option for any team.

There's a reason he has as many suitors as he does.
ZenMaster4President
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject:

It's a shame that in a thread that started with an appreciation of a great player, the detractors and ungrateful what-have-you-done-for-me-lately "realists" are flocking in.

Such a disgrace.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject:

I appreciate the 3 straight finals he helped bring.. but I'll be happy when that passive aggressive vibe he puts out is gone.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject:

my gut feeling says he comes back and has a bounce back year.
not an all star season, but a decent one
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject:

I love me some Pau. If this is the end, thanks for everything, you were a great Laker.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject:

I haven't shared this here, but back in November, Pau & Marc visited my High School in South Central LA. They were both great guys, but Pau was especially fantastic with my kids. He made eye contact with everyone who spoke with him, and was tremendously gracious. He & Marc participated in drills with my kids and talked to them a little bit about the importance of eating healthy.

Every time Pau is disparaged on here, I cringe, because of how good he was to me and my kids. But I get it. It's a basketball thing. I've even been frustrated by him from time to time. But if this is the end, very few ever wore the P&G with more class.

philipm35
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Man, sometimes I get really tired of the judgmental attitude that Lakers "fans" have about players.

I mean, seriously, Pau is THE reason we went to the Finals 3 straight years and to the second round of the playoffs for four straight. Without him coming here, Kobe is a Clipper, Pau is somewhere else and we have no rings, nothing to show for the last DECADE.

Lakers fans are so damn spoiled it is ridiculous.
philipm35
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I haven't shared this here, but back in November, Pau & Marc visited my High School in South Central LA. They were both great guys, but Pau was especially fantastic with my kids. He made eye contact with everyone who spoke with him, and was tremendously gracious. He & Marc participated in drills with my kids and talked to them a little bit about the importance of eating healthy.

Every time Pau is disparaged on here, I cringe, because of how good he was to me and my kids. But I get it. It's a basketball thing. I've even been frustrated by him from time to time. But if this is the end, very few ever wore the P&G with more class.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/1467379_10200160845342975_1901203604_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t1.0-9/1459898_10200160845582981_422366231_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t1.0-9/1005039_10200220834482666_326813917_n.jpg

Was that part of a collaboration with the Gasol Foundation? That is awesome!!

Pau is absolute class, always has been.
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for sharing, GT! If I could pick any Laker to hang out with for awhile it would be Pau. Definitely a great ambassador for the game.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject:

philipm35 wrote:
Was that part of a collaboration with the Gasol Foundation? That is awesome!!

Pau is absolute class, always has been.

Yes, in a round about way. Their foundation held a raffle where the main prize was playing basketball with the Gasol brothers. An LG member won the contest, and asked if he could pass the prize on to my program. I spoke with Pau's agent, we set it up, and gave the kids a night they'll never forget.

The LG member wanted to remain anonymous so I will respect that, but it's one of the most generous things anyone's ever done for me and I will appreciate it forever.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject:

TWSports is currently showing "Top 10 Lakers Acquisitions" and Pau was #9. Made me appreciate Pau all over again. If he stays, if I've moves on, whatever, I have nothing but love for Pau.

EDIT: I think I know what school that is, and that's AWESOME.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t1.0-9/1459898_10200160845582981_422366231_n.jpg

Anybody else see baby shaq in GT's post? When is he hitting the draft? Might have to take shaq's number out the rafters.

I know its not nice to make fun of little kids, but do big kids count?
Jokes aside hope big fella doesnt read this post. I'd feel horrible if I damaged his self-esteem.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14
Jump to: