Deandre Kane = Marcus Smart with a jumper???
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Deandre Kane = Marcus Smart with a jumper???

^^watch him just bully that guy twice on two different plays. one in the post and one on the drive. this is a guy that understands his size/strength.

did we just pick up marcus smart with a jumpshot & slightly less athleticism.

nothing really pretty, but its a bigger pg, using his size and strength to make things happen.

instead of having insane athleticism and a crazy first step. he uses the nash/ginobili change of speed game to get by guys. and if by chance you are quick enough to tract him down again. he will give you the shoulder/forearm shiver to the chest to bump you off, get a foul in his favor(his ft% is some what alarming for a pg.. never hit 70% in college..thats mental to me). but look at his stats. he got on a better team in a better conf his last year and all of his numbers were better. he didnt shy away from comp. he loved it. he balled out vs top teams as well.

interview^^ read that last comment on youtube.

and the guy actually looks like a LEGIT point guard. floor general. and a very good rebounder for a pg. funny they say in one of those scouting reports that he ball watches and doesnt box out. well for a pg to get that many boards per in college and to not box out. he at minimum knows where to be. so its still a positive.

seems like another Ready to Contribute today..guy.
lkjhf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject:

deandre kane plus spectacular defense minus five years, maybe
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject:

dont think he's quick enough to get in the lane enough at PG; he'd be relegated to chucking there.
maybe at SG he'd be ok.
prefer Clarkson - quicker, better handle.

i think Clarkson will surprise people and kind of outplay Kane in the summer league.

hey im all in for a Clarkson v. Kane summer league rivalry !
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Good at everything great at nothing. He's a head case though. If you thought Smart lacked mental toughness wait until you see Kane.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject:

all I know is summer league should be fun to watch in a couple weeks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Deandre Kane = Marcus Smart with a jumper???

Elite defense. Thats the difference. Slow PG with a jumper isnt that hard to find. An athletic defensive stalwart who may improve his J is much harder to find. Plus he's NBA ready in size and strength.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject:

I like Kane and watched a lot of him last season. I love rebounding guards. That makes such a difference. Wish we were running the triangle, though. Big guard, great post entry passer, excellent three ball, and his type of playmaking would work in the triangle. He'd be a great fit.

Even though he's older, excellent summer league pick up. Good gamble by Mitch. He's got a chance to make the team depending on what they do.

As far as Marcus Smart comparison, Smart's just a beast on D. Kane doesn't have that kind of impact.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Kane is 25, Smart is 20.
Playmaker1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Watched a lot of Kane last year and no, not even close. Isn't nearly the defender or the athlete Smart is and as people already stated he's 5 years older. And his jumpshot is just negligibly better.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Deandre Kane = Marcus Smart with a jumper???

67ShelbyGT wrote:
Elite defense. Thats the difference. Slow PG with a jumper isnt that hard to find. An athletic defensive stalwart who may improve his J is much harder to find. Plus he's NBA ready in size and strength.

slow? uh no he's not slow. he's just not ultra fast.
but neither was nash. i see we still dont get it. we are still running with combine numbers and sportscenter highlights. as thee only gauge.

i said in the original post. the guy isnt as quick as smart. BUT he knows how to change speed. anytime a player knows how to change speeds like that.. he can get into the lane and get to any spot on the floor. that stop and go game works on any level. its to difficult for a defender to know when said player is going to speed up or slow down or speed up again. he sure's as heck didnt have a problem playing vs marcus smart now did he?

so if he can score on smart in a college game where you can get up on a guy and run legit zone. what makes you think this guy cant get to the rack with softy dont touch rules? he has a jumper which means you have to come out there.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Kane is 25, Smart is 20.
like i said, ready to contribute today. you trade years for CURRENT contribution.

see i'm not a scout for some team trying to make it look good that we have the youngest talent possible. we may have just picked up a more savvy developed smart(rookie in general). and he's not going to cost us much at all. we didnt waste a top pick on him. so no harm on foul is how i see it. its a very low risk very high reward pick up.
TheSource666
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject:

You can make ANYONE look good in a Youtube highlight video.

There's no way Kane is better than Smart today.

Only on a Lakers-biased forum could you read this. The man went UNDRAFTED.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Playmaker1 wrote:
Watched a lot of Kane last year and no, not even close. Isn't nearly the defender or the athlete Smart is and as people already stated he's 5 years older. And his jumpshot is just negligibly better.
stop it. i know we all like what smart CAN do. but one thing he CANT do is shoot that 3 ball(college 3 ball).

kane his last year, shot basically 40% from 3pt land.
smart approx .30%

sorry that's not negligible.
thats I can shoot and you cant.

Smart is faster/quicker, and jumps a bit higher.

BUT, smart doesnt have that change of speed game. he's one insane burst. now he can be trained on it and maybe by next season he will have it, which will make him deadly.

but we know he cant shoot. so just play him like you play lebron. BACK UP. he cant beat you off the dribble if you're playing off of him 2 feet daring him/begging him to chuck.

you try that defense on Kane. and kane will either light you up. or he will walk up to you slowly. then burst by you. what kane and smart have in common is what happens at the basket. they have guys bouncing off of their shoulders and forearms.. this is how they get to the ft line. of course marcus will do this more often since he cant shoot

Kane

Code:
<PRE>                                                                                                                     
Season        School   Conf  G   MP  FG  FGA  FG%  2P 2PA  2P%  3P 3PA  3P%  FT FTA  FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV  PF  PTS
2013-14   Iowa State Big 12 36 34.4 5.8 12.0 .483 4.6 9.0 .511 1.2 3.0 .398 4.3 6.8 .635 6.8 5.9 1.2 0.3 2.9 2.2 17.1
</PRE>

Smart
Code:
<PRE>                                                                                                                         
Season            School   Conf  G   MP  FG  FGA  FG%  2P 2PA  2P%  3P 3PA  3P%  FT FTA  FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV  PF  PTS
2013-14   Oklahoma State Big 12 31 32.7 5.3 12.5 .422 3.7 7.2 .514 1.6 5.3 .299 5.9 8.1 .728 5.9 4.8 2.9 0.6 2.6 2.9 18.0
</PRE>

kane is the grown up version of smart. the difference is that if smart grows up (better jumpshot, better floor general).

smart will end up the better player then kane due to smarts athletic attributes and insane defense.

Last edited by postandpivot on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject:

TheSource666 wrote:

im not to sure of how his game will translate. but, its not just Laker fans who thought he was one of the top 20?players in the country last season.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject:

TheSource666 wrote:

so....those stats are a highlight video?

lol

so...him outplaying smart when they played each other is a highlight video?

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2014-02-03-oklahoma-state.html

^^^we're going to act like that game never happened? we're going ot act like kane didnt out POINT GUARD marcus? look at kane's assist numbers.

look at smarts.
smarts did what he always does. goes to the rack, got to the ft line. but as usually his jumper was exposed. whats that 3pt % ? 20% ewww
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject:

I would love to have found a hidden treasure but I have a question. Why did he go undrafted? He was MVP of something. Seems to me like he certainly has some skills. So what scared everyone off?
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Kane shot a better percentage and had more assist than Smart last year so the OP's thread is not ridiculous.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Glad to see the annual over rating of undrafted free agents, summer league signees, and camp fodder has begun

Kane's a good pickup for summer league, and might even make the team considering our current void of players on the roster. But I doubt he ends up being a consistent contributor.
DipNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
Kane shot a better percentage and had more assist than Smart last year so the OP's thread is not ridiculous.

we'll he was 5 years older
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject:

But he's no djo.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject:

DipNGold wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

we'll he was 5 years older

There's no excuses when you step on the court.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Should have known who started this thread.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Let's not sleep on Anthony Ireland. He's Patty Mills with handles.

So who's going to be this seasons summer league darling? Who's going to Smush their way into the starting lineup against all odds?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Well he certainly has a star's name.
DK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject:

12 wrote:
I would love to have found a hidden treasure but I have a question. Why did he go undrafted? He was MVP of something. Seems to me like he certainly has some skills. So what scared everyone off?

He's 25.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16
Jump to: