Rockets spurn Jeremy Lin in pitch to Melo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject:

Lin made tons of $ for them with the Asian market. Good to know that his services are appreciated.
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject:

Lost in all this is the fact that Lin now knows which of his teammates has his back. Harden and Dwight happily going along with the campaign just shows they consider him a second rate team mate.

Lin will be out of there soon enough. I hope free agents realize what a cutthroat organization the Rockets are - one thing to lose your job because there's someone better like Asik but to be trivialized like the way Lin was, that part is purely, as Phil says. "slimey."

Lin should feel slighted. Your number is part of your identity.
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
I initially thought it was classless. David Aldridge changed my mind. Lin has known he has been on the block all summer. Same with Asik (who we traded). Lin is quite aware that the only way we can bring Melo in is by trading him to create caproom. The owner and GM have been very open about trying to do this, so I refuse to believe that Lin wasn't aware that he was on the trading block. Now if you had no clue you were being shopped and then you saw a dude in your jersey....then I feel your plight. But Lin obviously knew we are trying to move him to land Melo, so I don't think flashing him in his jersey is a big deal. Did he think the team was planning on keeping him and acquiring Melo?

Nah, it IS classless because you have to take into account what happens if Melo doesn't commit? I'm sure he knows he's being shopped, but do you have to do him like that? No, you don't.

I agree. I found dreamshake's first response to be much more honest. He's lowered himself into rationalizing a low-class blunder.

Yes, quite classless. The courteous thing to do was to get agreement from Lin to use #7. A better solution would be to just not post a number. If Carmelo wants to join, he'll likely get to pick any number he wants, including D12.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
I initially thought it was classless. David Aldridge changed my mind. Lin has known he has been on the block all summer. Same with Asik (who we traded). Lin is quite aware that the only way we can bring Melo in is by trading him to create caproom. The owner and GM have been very open about trying to do this, so I refuse to believe that Lin wasn't aware that he was on the trading block. Now if you had no clue you were being shopped and then you saw a dude in your jersey....then I feel your plight. But Lin obviously knew we are trying to move him to land Melo, so I don't think flashing him in his jersey is a big deal. Did he think the team was planning on keeping him and acquiring Melo?

Nah, it IS classless because you have to take into account what happens if Melo doesn't commit? I'm sure he knows he's being shopped, but do you have to do him like that? No, you don't.

Do him like what? Openly let him know he is being shopped? This is what the issue is:

"My team has let me and everyone else know I'm being shopped for this new guy to come in, but it's disrespectful when they show him in my number".

Is it not disrespectful to let you know you are being shopped? How can letting you know you are on the block be ok but having a guy be seen in your jersey not be ok? That doesn't make any sense. If Melo doesn't commit then you have a guy come back that knows you tried to trade him. Is that nit typical in the league? Again, should you not inform the player that he is on the block?
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

I agree. I found dreamshake's first response to be much more honest. He's lowered himself into rationalizing a low-class blunder.

My initial response did think it was disrespectful, until I was reminded that Lin has been on the block since the year ended and it wasn't secret to him. So if I am a player and I know the team is trying to trade me to bring X player in, I'm not going to all of a sudden get hot about them showing player X in my jersey. I, along with everyone else, know that I'm gone if player X comes. If I don't know I'm on the block, then that's different. Seeing someone in your jersey is a shocker but knowing you are being shopped for that player is ok? Does not compute....
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject:

l4kerz wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Yes, quite classless. The courteous thing to do was to get agreement from Lin to use #7. A better solution would be to just not post a number. If Carmelo wants to join, he'll likely get to pick any number he wants, including D12.

An agreement? LMAO. So how exactly should that convo go?

"Hey Lin, as we told you before, if we can get Melo in here then you have to get traded. You are solid and all but you aren't a Melo. Well, Melo is coming tomorrow so we can try to convince him to sign here (which again, means you have to go). We want to know if you are cool with letting us use the #7 while we recruit him. We realize that it may be offensive for you to see him wearing that number, even though we all know you have to get traded for him to come".

Right......
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

My initial response did think it was disrespectful, until I was reminded that Lin has been on the block since the year ended and it wasn't secret to him. So if I am a player and I know the team is trying to trade me to bring X player in, I'm not going to all of a sudden get hot about them showing player X in my jersey. I, along with everyone else, know that I'm gone if player X comes. If I don't know I'm on the block, then that's different. Seeing someone in your jersey is a shocker but knowing you are being shopped for that player is ok? Does not compute....

So in the season that Kobe announces his retirement, if, while he is still a Laker, the FO starts pitching for other players this way in the #24, you'd be okay with it?
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject:

Lol at Rox fans... The things they tell themselves to convince themselves of an alternate universe.

"We got 2 bonafide superstars"
"Harden is the best SG in the game"
"Dwight is serious now (and that 16yr old he flew up was just a needy fan)"
"Harden is clutch, you'll see"
"Morey is the best GM"

Haha. Now they are trying to convince themselves this wasn't classless. These clowns. It'd be like Lakers putting up billboard @Staples of Chris Paul with #7 or #16 jersey before the trade went down! They are just not used to 'ships and class down in H-town. Classless org suits the classless city.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:

It's one thing to know you're being shopped, it's a whole other thing to have it thrown in your face that your team would love nothing more than to trade you and have someone else in your place. And this could be an awkward situation if they do miss out on Melo. It's disrespectful.

Last edited by KBH on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

So in the season that Kobe announces his retirement, if, while he is still a Laker, the FO starts pitching for other players this way in the #24, you'd be okay with it?

You didn't really think this through did you?
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

The two aren't related in any way. Kobe choosing to retire is not the organization getting rid of him. That player can still come in while Kobe is here, correct? In this instance, the only way a player can come in is for you to leave. So if I know I am gone if someone comes, then I don't care about that someone being shown in my number during recruitment. I know I have to go for it to happen.

Now if I don't know I have to go, then that's different. IE Dantley being blindsided when he got shipped for Aguirre. But if I know I have to leave I think it's silly to get upset about the player being in the jersey. It's akin to finding out my wife borrowed my car to go cheat on me, and getting mad about her borrowing the car.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

It's one thing to know you're being shopped, it's a whole other thing to have it thrown in your face that your team would love nothing more than to trade you and have someone else in your place. And this could be an awkward situation if they do miss out on Melo. It's a blunder.

So doing the following isn't throwing it in his face:

- Openly recruiting multiple players that will demand high enough salaries that will require you to be shipped.

- Having the player down for a recruiting trip in the first place.

I just don't understand how having Melo down for everyone (owner, GM, retired players, current teammates) to recruit him is not a slap in the face but showing him in my jersey is. Make that make sense for me. The same goes for Boozer in Chicago. It's like getting pissed about the minor thing.
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject:

Much better and classier way of handling this... show Melo in #15! The number he's worn almost his entire career. It's that easy. Houston <> Class.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Douchebag move. That organization is a complete joke.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Classless move by the organization. Of course there's gonna be some Rocket fans that drink their kool-aid and defend the team to no end. That's fine and their prerogative even though their reasoning is specious.

There's no reason to do that to a player that is still on the team. It doesn't matter that he's been on the trading block. Pretty much all players are on the trading block except for a select few. It just makes the organization look bad to do this to a player still on the team. And if the player isn't moved, it makes things even worse. Shame on the Rockets.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
KBH wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

It's one thing to know you're being shopped, it's a whole other thing to have it thrown in your face that your team would love nothing more than to trade you and have someone else in your place. And this could be an awkward situation if they do miss out on Melo. It's a blunder.

So doing the following isn't throwing it in his face:

- Openly recruiting multiple players that will demand high enough salaries that will require you to be shipped.

- Having the player down for a recruiting trip in the first place.

I just don't understand how having Melo down for everyone (owner, GM, retired players, current teammates) to recruit him is not a slap in the face but showing him in my jersey is. Make that make sense for me. The same goes for Boozer in Chicago. It's like getting pissed about the minor thing.

Because a player's number is part of his identity, and everyone knows that. And because it's part of a player's identity, it also shows a complete disregard for maintaining a solid working relationship in the event that you DON'T sign Melo. We had Pau Gasol on the trading block for 3 years. I would say the same thing if we were posting photos of another player wearing the No. 16 that we were hoping to land.

Also, the fact that Jeremy DID take a offense to it means that it matters to him. The fact that you're trying to paint it as something that isn't disrespectful to a player still on your team is preposterous. You're a Rockets fan, you have every reason to want Melo over Jeremy, but don't try to convince people that this wasn't a crappy thing to do.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject:

DimesnD wrote:
Lost in all this is the fact that Lin now knows which of his teammates has his back. Harden and Dwight happily going along with the campaign just shows they consider him a second rate team mate.

Lin will be out of there soon enough. I hope free agents realize what a cutthroat organization the Rockets are - one thing to lose your job because there's someone better like Asik but to be trivialized like the way Lin was, that part is purely, as Phil says. "slimey."

Lin should feel slighted. Your number is part of your identity.

I don't think its a secret Lin was out once the Rockets got Harden and D12. They wanted him for marketing purposes when they had nobody, but once they hit it big with Harden and getting D12 from LA, they wanted no part of paying his last year of his salary. The salary is the only reason he is still a Rocket, no team wants to touch that $15 million they will have to pay him for the 3rd year.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Classless act by a classless organization, what else is new. I like how Houston fans act like Hakeen was never a Raptor. If Melo knows what's good for him he will never sign with the Rockets.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject:

it was a classless act by Houston. Hakeem Olajuwon could not live with himself if he showed support for it, so the Dream skipped the meeting with Melo.

I bet this was the brainchild of Dwight Howard.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject:

First . . . world . . . problems . . .
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

The two aren't related in any way. Kobe choosing to retire is not the organization getting rid of him. That player can still come in while Kobe is here, correct? In this instance, the only way a player can come in is for you to leave. So if I know I am gone if someone comes, then I don't care about that someone being shown in my number during recruitment. I know I have to go for it to happen.

Now if I don't know I have to go, then that's different. IE Dantley being blindsided when he got shipped for Aguirre. But if I know I have to leave I think it's silly to get upset about the player being in the jersey. It's akin to finding out my wife borrowed my car to go cheat on me, and getting mad about her borrowing the car.

"If you know you have to leave, I think it's silly to get upset about the player being in the jersey".

If a player is retiring, they know they have to leave, so why would anyone get upset about that player's jersey number retiring?

It just boils down to being respectful. Whether the player is retiring, or potentially being traded (since, it is not a guarantee someone will want Lin's $15M/yr expiring contract), or not going to receive a contract extension is all irrelevant to me.

So long as a player is on your team, just show a little respect. Plus, this move is even dumber when you factor in that it isn't even necessary. They should have shown Anthony in #15 since that's what he would wear if he were to sign with Houston. That they didn't research this ... just shows they didn't do their homework.
LoLakers13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject:

That's buLin.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

It was an unequivocally classless act, dreamshake. First off you know that Lin is under contract for another year and is nearly untradeable. It is highly probable that he will be a Rocket at the start of next season. Second, just because someone knows they are no long wanted does not mean they no longer should be afforded respect. That is demeaning and frankly very low class. How would you like your desk moved to the basement, dreamshake? What if you couldn't leave the employer for a year and they wanted to get rid of you. Would you feel great that your coworkers and others had to go to the basement to confer with you, that you no longer deserved respect? From your reasoning, Lin no longer deserves respect because he knows the Rockets want to trade him. He knows he isn't wanted, but that does not mean he is unworthy of respect.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
It was an unequivocally classless act, dreamshake. First off you know that Lin is under contract for another year and is nearly untradeable. It is highly probable that he will be a Rocket at the start of next season. Second, just because someone knows they are no long wanted does not mean they no longer should be afforded respect. That is demeaning and frankly very low class. How would you like your desk moved to the basement, dreamshake? What if you couldn't leave the employer for a year and they wanted to get rid of you. Would you feel great that your coworkers and others had to go to the basement to confer with you, that you no longer deserved respect? From your reasoning, Lin no longer deserves respect because he knows the Rockets want to trade him. He knows he isn't wanted, but that does not mean he is unworthy of respect.

Very well stated. Waiting to hear shake's new spin.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

It was an unequivocally classless act, dreamshake. First off you know that Lin is under contract for another year and is nearly untradeable.

The Rockets already have a trade for Lin, so I don't know that he is nearly untradeable. That can tease him anytime they like.

angrypuppy wrote:

It is highly probable that he will be a Rocket at the start of next season.

And whether or not he was shown in his jersey he still would come back to the team knowing his owner, GM, coaches and star teammates tried to get rid of him. Right?

angrypuppy wrote:

Second, just because someone knows they are no long wanted does not mean they no longer should be afforded respect.

So having Melo down with everyone meeting with him is affording respect?

angrypuppy wrote:

How would you like your desk moved to the basement, dreamshake?

If they brought my replacement in and the only way they could afford to pay him was by firing me, and everyone at the company knew then why would I care? I would get mad that I'm being replaced, not that my desk is moved.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: