Rockets spurn Jeremy Lin in pitch to Melo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject:

I can't imagine how miserable it would be to be stuck making a ton of dough while playing a professional sport and then have the team you were playing for make a photo with some other guy wearing your number.

I mean it's not like players ever CHANGE their number - You'd never see the the GREATS ever besmirch their legacies by changing their number. Did we ever see Jordan, Bryant, or El BJ change their numbers. Your number is your everything. You have no identity without it.

The working stiffs in the world are lucky they never have to deal with such a vicious slight. There's not an NBA contract out there that would make it worth dealing with such a miserable experience. I hope they have Lin on suicide watch and have provided his family with the appropriate level of grief counseling. I kind of feel like I need some myself after reading about such a horrific event.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I can't imagine how miserable it would be to be stuck making a ton of dough while playing a professional sport and then have the team you were playing for make a photo with some other guy wearing your number.

I mean it's not like players ever CHANGE their number - You'd never see the the GREATS ever besmirch their legacies by changing their number. Did we ever see Jordan, Bryant, or El BJ change their numbers. Your number is your everything. You have no identity without it.

The working stiffs in the world are lucky they never have to deal with such a vicious slight. There's not an NBA contract out there that would make it worth dealing with such a miserable experience. I hope they have Lin on suicide watch and have provided his family with the appropriate level of grief counseling. I kind of feel like I need some myself after reading about such a horrific event.

Pride is pride. Maybe you can rationalize it by pointing to the large amounts of money they make, but there are some things that challenges one's pride, even if it's purely symbolic.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

It was an unequivocally classless act, dreamshake. First off you know that Lin is under contract for another year and is nearly untradeable.

The Rockets already have a trade for Lin, so I don't know that he is nearly untradeable. That can tease him anytime they like.

angrypuppy wrote:

It is highly probable that he will be a Rocket at the start of next season.

And whether or not he was shown in his jersey he still would come back to the team knowing his owner, GM, coaches and star teammates tried to get rid of him. Right?

angrypuppy wrote:

Second, just because someone knows they are no long wanted does not mean they no longer should be afforded respect.

So having Melo down with everyone meeting with him is affording respect?

angrypuppy wrote:

How would you like your desk moved to the basement, dreamshake?

If they brought my replacement in and the only way they could afford to pay him was by firing me, and everyone at the company knew then why would I care? I would get mad that I'm being replaced, not that my desk is moved.

Wait, is your point that it is not classless or disrespectful? Or, is your point that it shouldn't matter?

Also, Jeremy Lin isn't being fired so your analogy doesn't really fit there. He's being transferred to another division within the same company. Typically, when you do that, you wouldn't pull off the pictures and name plates and other things at a person's desk while they are still there. You know why? Because it's kind of classless.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Pride is pride. Maybe you can rationalize it by pointing to the large amounts of money they make, but there are some things that challenges one's pride, even if it's purely symbolic.

If that's where one's pride resides, then there are much bigger and deeper personal issues to worry about than who might be depicted wearing a number in a sales pitch.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Disagree with you Dream. You know me, I try not to hate on a team just because that's what a Laker fan should do - and your team qualifies - but i find the move pretty tasteless.

In general I feel Lin/Harden chemistry has just not been good. He was definitely on his way out, but you shouldn't treat a current player as such.

At the very least you should call him, let him know that if Melo signs he will need to take that number and that hopefully you are okay with it. Was any of that done? Seems Lin found out about it after.

It's not something I like seeing happen. I hated how Lakers treated championship ball players like Pau Gasol in regards to the CP3 trade stuff also. I won't pretend like my fav team is perfect and completely above insulting their own players. But this was pretty way out there. Don't see how you can defend it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

If that's where one's pride resides, then there are much bigger and deeper personal issues to worry about than who might be depicted wearing a number in a sales pitch.

Does this mean you don't care about whether the Lakers retire Kobe's jersey number?
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Disagree with you Dream. You know me, I try not to hate on a team just because that's what a Laker fan should do - and your team qualifies - but i find the move pretty tasteless.

poor ricky ledo doesn't have enough fans to stir up the sheeple when dallas did it to him it seems.

That or it's really a non event.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Does this mean you don't care about whether the Lakers retire Kobe's jersey number?

Which number? He's had a couple of 'em.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

In general I feel Lin/Harden chemistry has just not been good. He was definitely on his way out, but you shouldn't treat a current player as such.

At the very least you should call him, let him know that if Melo signs he will need to take that number and that hopefully you are okay with it. Was any of that done? Seems Lin found out about it after.

It's not something I like seeing happen. I hated how Lakers treated championship ball players like Pau Gasol in regards to the CP3 trade stuff also. I won't pretend like my fav team is perfect and completely above insulting their own players. But this was pretty way out there. Don't see how you can defend it.

Seeing as how it looks like Melo is staying in NY, the Rockets are going to have an awkward locker room environment next season unless they manage to trade him.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Wait, is your point that it is not classless or disrespectful? Or, is your point that it shouldn't matter?

It's not classless if Lin knows the team is trying to bring in Melo and the only way that can happen is if he's traded.

ringfinger wrote:

Also, Jeremy Lin isn't being fired so your analogy doesn't really fit there. He's being transferred to another division within the same company. Typically, when you do that, you wouldn't pull off the pictures and name plates and other things at a person's desk while they are still there. You know why? Because it's kind of classless.

It wasn't my analogy (check the poster I was responding to). But if you want to make a working analogy, then the proper one would be me at a job and everyone knows (myself included) that the company is trying to fire me but can't do so at the moment. If they bring in a replacement soon then I'm gone. If not then I'm gone in a year regardless, and they will work me because they have me under contract for another year, but its clear they don't want me. In that case, if they brought in a potential replacement I'm pretty sure they would show him where his office would be if it were my same office. And and I have to go for him to come, I really wouldn't care about him seeing it.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

The only way Melo can sign is if Lin is GONE! They should inform him that Melo will take his number when he's gone? They have already informed him that he is gone if Melo comes. This is no hidden recruitment. The guy visited Houston to hear a pitch that everyone, players included, is involved in.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

There was no chemistry. Both guys needed the ball in their hands to make a difference. Lin was pretty much the 3rd wheel in that team, which is why he was sent to the bench as well. The Rockets have been trying to get rid of him for a while now, bet they really regret that poison pill contract now.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject:

This is a very unique situation. I can't recall a similar recruiting process where a current player, high-profile, had been pin-pointed as the one who will get the boot. To make matters worse, his teammates are doing the recruiting. The same teammates that will have to look Jeremy in the eye when Melo doesn't come. Dreamsake, if you can't admit to classless, can you admit to zealous? LOL!

Work place analogies are not good because you can't compare real world work to a privilege profession such as basketball, where massaging ego is a premium. Look how much the Zen Master got paid for doing it. Regarding the new employee analogy, you said, "And and I have to go for him to come, I really wouldn't care about him seeing it." You see, you're envisioning a cubicle job. Jeremy can't go hide in a cubicle. Basketball is a team sport, it's about chemistry, camaraderie, etc.

The Sixers have chimed in that for the "right price," they'll take Lin. And you know the "right price" have gone up since they know the mess you've created.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
This is a very unique situation. I can't recall a similar recruiting process where a current player, high-profile, had been pin-pointed as the one who will get the boot. To make matters worse, his teammates are doing the recruiting. The same teammates that will have to look Jeremy in the eye when Melo doesn't come. Dreamsake, if you can't admit to classless, can you admit to zealous? LOL!

Work place analogies are not good because you can't compare real world work to a privilege profession such as basketball, where massaging ego is a premium. Look how much the Zen Master got paid for doing it. Regarding the new employee analogy, you said, "And and I have to go for him to come, I really wouldn't care about him seeing it." You see, you're envisioning a cubicle job. Jeremy can't go hide in a cubicle. Basketball is a team sport, it's about chemistry, camaraderie, etc.

The Sixers have chimed in that for the "right price," they'll take Lin. And you know the "right price" have gone up since they know the mess you've created.

My guess is that they conclude that trade to the Sixers when all this is done. Lin gets his playing time, Sixers get the necessary players for tankaholic 2.0, not to mention a conveted 1st round draft pick for the future.

Last edited by lakersken80 on Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11178694/philadelphia-76ers-willing-trade-houston-rockets-jeremy-lin
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject:

Houston is classless.

At the very least they could have just given him the heads up before they did it.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Houston is classless.

At the very least they could have just given him the heads up before they did it.

Giving Lin a heads up that we are trying to trade you for Carmleo prior to having Carmelo come down for recruitment is not a heads up?
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Houston is classless.

Giving Lin a heads up that we are trying to trade you for Carmleo prior to having Carmelo come down for recruitment is not a heads up?

No. A heads up that they were going to be putting up pictures of Carmelo wearing his jersey.

You know what they did was messed up. You're just trying to rationalize it now.

It's one thing to know that you might be traded. It's quite another to be treated like a doormat.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Houston is classless.

No. A heads up that they were going to be putting up pictures of Carmelo wearing his jersey.

It's one thing to know that you might be traded. It's quite another to be treated like a doormat.

Pretty much sums up the whole discussion. I'll give dreamshake the benefit of the doubt that he's mixing two different discussions together in order to justify the Rockets' classless action over jerseygate. If he continues to feel the Rockets treated Lin right in this whole scenario, well then I guess there's really no point in trying to reason with the guy over why it was such a jerk move by Houston because he's drank way too much of the koolaid.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Houston is classless.

Pretty much sums up the whole discussion. I'll give dreamshake the benefit of the doubt that he's mixing two different discussions together in order to justify the Rockets' classless action over jerseygate. If he continues to feel the Rockets treated Lin right in this whole scenario, well then I guess there's really no point in trying to reason with the guy over why it was such a jerk move by Houston because he's drank way too much of the koolaid.

1) I'm not trying to justify anything. I'm expressing my opinion on why I think something was right or wrong.

2) If I'm looking at the actions the Rockets took, I don't think them having some wearing the number I wear is treating me like a doormat. Maybe my current teammates trying to recruit him. Maybe everyone in the organization pitching to him and everyone else. But again, I've been made aware that the team is trying to upgrade and I must go for it to happen. So oh well. I could care less about the guy replacing me being shown in my number. I can't be here if he is. But I do think it's silly to call someone up and say "hey, that guy we are trying to bring in and trade you so we can make it happen....we are going to have pics of him in your jersey...just a heads up...is that cool?".
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Who cares? What's in a jersey number right?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

You'd have to ask Kobe and the rest of players who have changed their number.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Unless Lin is happy being a bench player, I think he won't mind getting traded. Harden and Howard ended up scapegoating him for plays they screwed up at times. Plus he needs to showcase his skills if he expects a decent NBA contract since his current one expires this season. Thats probably why the Philly trade makes sense.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Does this mean you don't care if they retire his jersey number? Or you only care if kobe cares?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Does this mean you don't care if they retire his jersey number? Or you only care if kobe cares?

The discussion isn't what I (or we as fans) care about is it - they aren't our numbers. What I am pointing out is that numbers are not be the big deal some people are making them out to be when it is common for players to simply choose to change their number.

Anyway, your analogy between a GOAT like Kobe having a number retired after a HOF career versus using a role player's number in a recruiting photo is a lousy one. They are entirely different things.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: