Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
shnxx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
shnxx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
shnxx wrote:
any recs on charter vs. dish vs. direcTV for TV subscription?

these companies are all so shady with their pricing.
they all say first 12 months and then jack up the prices after a year to whatever they feel like.

That's not shady. They disclose everything. You're getting new customer promos for the first year. You'd rather not get the discount?

i don't know why you reply to all my posts with hostility but why don't you just ignore my posts and i'll do the same.

life is too short for wasting time by having internet debates with people you don't like.

Apologies if you felt it was hostile. What exactly did I say that rubbed you the wrong way?

I just don't understand how what they do is shady. They disclose everything. That's why I asked if you'd rather have full pricing from the beginning or receive the discount.

Don't take it personal buddy. I'm reading the posts, barely looking at usernames unless it's an odd or particularly unique post.

No offense taken!

I just felt that the practice of not disclosing the future price is shady.
For instance, DirecTV will tell you what it will cost for the first year but there is no information other than long terms of services on the second year's rate.
Note that they require a contract.

I despise having monthly bills of any kind so I just find this variation in price very annoying.

Also Charter nickels and dimes its customers by adding additional surcharges for each TV, installation, etc.

The entire TV subscription industry is really ripe for some major changes.
For the most part, they enjoy monopoly (for instance, Charter is the only game in town for me as far as fast internet goes) and they employ lobbyists to engage in anti-competitive practices and are against innovations such as internet streaming.

Thats because pricing for cable/satellite changes year to year depending on the carriage fees. Thats why you can never get stable pricing and why they won't tell you the price next year.They could raise the rates by so and so dollars because this particular network demanded we raise the carriage fees from so and so to so and so.

If that is the case, they should not force customers to sign two-year contracts.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject:

shnxx wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
shnxx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
shnxx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
shnxx wrote:

they all say first 12 months and then jack up the prices after a year to whatever they feel like.

That's not shady. They disclose everything. You're getting new customer promos for the first year. You'd rather not get the discount?

i don't know why you reply to all my posts with hostility but why don't you just ignore my posts and i'll do the same.

life is too short for wasting time by having internet debates with people you don't like.

Apologies if you felt it was hostile. What exactly did I say that rubbed you the wrong way?

I just don't understand how what they do is shady. They disclose everything. That's why I asked if you'd rather have full pricing from the beginning or receive the discount.

Don't take it personal buddy. I'm reading the posts, barely looking at usernames unless it's an odd or particularly unique post.

No offense taken!

For instance, DirecTV will tell you what it will cost for the first year but there is no information other than long terms of services on the second year's rate.

I despise having monthly bills of any kind so I just find this variation in price very annoying.

Also Charter nickels and dimes its customers by adding additional surcharges for each TV, installation, etc.

For the most part, they enjoy monopoly (for instance, Charter is the only game in town for me as far as fast internet goes) and they employ lobbyists to engage in anti-competitive practices and are against innovations such as internet streaming.

Thats because pricing for cable/satellite changes year to year depending on the carriage fees. Thats why you can never get stable pricing and why they won't tell you the price next year.They could raise the rates by so and so dollars because this particular network demanded we raise the carriage fees from so and so to so and so.

If that is the case, they should not force customers to sign two-year contracts.

They shouldn't but thats Directv's policy I guess. It supposedly so they can recoup the equipment costs for the DVRs.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject:

shnxx wrote:
nickuku wrote:
Directv and Time Warner internet. The fastest TW offers is 100/5mbps. Not fast enough for me.

how much is TW charging for 100mbps download speed?

Charter charges 100 a month with 200 dollar activation fee.

80 or 90 bucks i forgot ill have to look at the bill.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
shnxx wrote:
nickuku wrote:
Directv and Time Warner internet. The fastest TW offers is 100/5mbps. Not fast enough for me.

80 bucks sounds pretty good for 100!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject:

shnxx wrote:
nickuku wrote:
shnxx wrote:
nickuku wrote:

80 bucks sounds pretty good for 100!

Do you actually get 100mbps from Charter though? What about the speeds during peak hours?
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Comcast.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject:

Just to update this, Time Warner finished the upgrades in my area sometime last week. They upgraded me from 15Mbps to 50Mbps basically for free. I'm currently getting 53Mbps on average, from speedtest.net. I used to only download/stream movies in 720P, but now I'll definitely get everything in 1080P.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Directv, ATT Uverse internet + phone, fax.

Download 15.72 Mbps

Upload 0.98 Mbps

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Just to update this, Time Warner finished the upgrades in my area sometime last week. They upgraded me from 15Mbps to 50Mbps basically for free. I'm currently getting 53Mbps on average, from speedtest.net. I used to only download/stream movies in 720P, but now I'll definitely get everything in 1080P.

15mbps is way more than enough for 1080p. You probably could have streamed 3-4 1080p videos
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

15mbps is way more than enough for 1080p. You probably could have streamed 3-4 1080p videos

Yeah, it is, actually. I'm mainly talking about downloading.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject:

shnxx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
shnxx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
shnxx wrote:

No offense taken!

Sounds like it's time for someone to get XBMC on an android box and call it a day.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Free on the Internet. As for cable, I don't watch TV so no bill.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: