Spencer Hawes to the Clips: 4 yrs, 23M

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Spencer Hawes to the Clips: 4 yrs, 23M

All these quality FAs getting snatched up while we sit and wait for only the biggest fish. If we strike out on LeBron and Carmelo (which is likely), we are destined for yet another unprecedentedly disastrous year.

This Hawes signing got me thinking though -- how the hell were the Clips able to get this guy when they're already over the cap with 8 players? What am I missing here?

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_clippers.htm
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Spencer Hawes to the Clips: 4 yrs, 23M

HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
All these quality FAs getting snatched up while we sit and wait for only the biggest fish. If we strike out on LeBron and Carmelo (which is likely), we are destined for yet another unprecedentedly disastrous year.

This Hawes signing got me thinking though -- how the hell were the Clips able to get this guy when they're already over the cap with 8 players? What am I missing here?

I haven't looked at that particular signing, but the Clippers are likely using an Exception.

25. What are salary cap exceptions?

Quote:

The basic rule of the NBA's salary cap is that a team can't sign a player or make a trade that leaves the team's team salary above the cap, unless the team is using an exception. In a system with a soft cap, exceptions are the mechanisms that allow teams to function while above the cap. Some exceptions are available only for making trades, and are described in detail starting in question number 81. The exceptions available for signing players are as follows1:
TheGood83
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Even though Hawes is a solid player, it's a horrible deal for the Clips because they needed to add length and quickness at the wing. The Thunder series proved that.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps preparing themselves for DeAndre getting paid big - thus either walking at year's end or being traded by them for that sort of wing by trade deadline.

I'm quite sure the Clippers know the situation with having to pay DeAndre really big money, really soon (next summer). This may be a way to slowly phase DeAndre out, or trade him for something of quality before he can walk for nothing.

Seems like a weird move, otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject:

I wanted Hawes. damn
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Perhaps preparing themselves for DeAndre getting paid big - thus either walking at year's end or being traded by them for that sort of wing by trade deadline.

I'm quite sure the Clippers know the situation with having to pay DeAndre really big money, really soon (next summer). This may be a way to slowly phase DeAndre out, or trade him for something of quality before he can walk for nothing.

Seems like a weird move, otherwise.

It's not a weird move, he complements both Jordan and Griffin very well.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Spencer Hawes to the Clips: 4 yrs, 23M

HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:

They used their mid-level exception.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: