Parsons agrees to offer sheet from Mavs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Stephenson gets offered 9, Deng gets offered 10-11, Ariza is looking at 8? Hayward and Parsons get max.

If I rated those players, I'd probably go Deng (health?), Lance, Parsons, Hayward, Ariza, I wouldn't argue with people trying to adjust because of how close they are, but there's like no part of me that can see potentially double contract differences between Hayward/Parsons and the rest.

Is this like pay the white guy season?
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject:

TheSource666 wrote:
cccplus wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
oliverginob wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
cccplus wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Rockets are screwed...

No we aren't. If we want him we can match, unlike we could have next summer. If we think he costs too much then we can let him walk.

LOL. rockets's plan back fired! instead of keeping him on a cheap rookie scale for one more year with Bosh (possibly), rockets screwed themselves in so many ways. apparently, they have not learned their lessons with asik and lin. i luv it

How has Houston screwed itself. The two options were:

1) Make Parson's restricted and have the right to match any offer, while having a chance to get 2 for 1 this summer (squeeze another near max guy in and then go over the cap to sign Parsons).

2) Make Parsons unrestricted next year, lose the right to match, and spend all of your available caproom on him.

I'll go with option #1 every time.

you could have kept him on the rookie scale, sign Bosh then give Parsons whatever contract you want next year because you have his bird rights and can go over the cap

Yes, but then he is unrestricted. I'd rather chase the same guy this summer and give myself the option to keep him if I want him. And for the record, unless another max guy is coming in and destroying our cap regardless, then I don't want him on a max contract.

parsons is getting 'unrestricted' $$$ a year early. $15 millions!!! bet the rockets didn't expect that offer. even if they match (unlikely), rockets will have to shed players and not have $$ to spend on others to booster their bench. rockets screwed themselves by losing parsons for nothing a year early.

I don't know what is so hard to understand.

*The Rockets can sign Bosh to a MAX this year THEN go over the cap for Parsons.

*Next year he would have been an UFA and the Rockets wouldn't be able to match anything, and they'd have to be the first ones to offer a max contract.

*The Rockets with Bosh couldn't use cap space for any role players anyways, they're still reliant on MLE.

*It's always better to have RFA than UFA because....you can get Dwight Howarded. Ahem, ahem. That's why the Lakers are screwed until Kobe's contract ends.

I'd much, much rather have the Rockets team right now. They also have a lot of assets moving forward.

I think you might have bolded your entire post on accident.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
Stephenson gets offered 9, Deng gets offered 10-11, Ariza is looking at 8? Hayward and Parsons get max.

If I rated those players, I'd probably go Deng (health?), Lance, Parsons, Hayward, Ariza, I wouldn't argue with people trying to adjust because of how close they are, but there's like no part of me that can see potentially double contract differences between Hayward/Parsons and the rest.

IMO, the biggest part of it is age. Another part of it (at least in terms of why Lance isn't getting more) is mental stability. The last part is restricted vs. unrestricted FAs.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject:

Jeffs wrote:
Telleris wrote:

IMO, the biggest part of it is age. Another part of it (at least in terms of why Lance isn't getting more) is mental stability. The last part is restricted vs. unrestricted FAs.

In some of these cases, slightly shy of double is insanity.
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject:

Larry Coon said that in order to keep Parsons and sign Bosh to the max, they have to dump not only Lin and Asik, but also Jones and Motjeunas.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject:

Luke wrote:
Larry Coon said that in order to keep Parsons and sign Bosh to the max, they have to dump not only Lin and Asik, but also Jones and Motjeunas.

Jones is the loss, the rest were expected, but doesn't this all sort of justify why Kobe doesn't take a discount. Dirk did and look how it got spent, the Spurs at least don't nutkick you after you take one for the team.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject:

Luke wrote:

I'm going to do the unthinkable and question Larry Coon. Dwight, Harden, and a maxed out Bosh exceeds 55 million. Even if they manage to renounce/dump everyone else on the roster (including Beverly) and after cap holds, that still leaves less than $5 million for Parsons.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
gng930 wrote:

Which, given Lebron's history, is anything but a given. Rockets will have until Sunday to match. How often are announcements of this magnitude made on the weekend? So IMO, if Lebron doesn't make his decision by Friday to trigger the dominoes, you guys are out of luck.

Out of luck in trying to get a 2 for 1, sure. But that was only possible this summer. It would not have been possible next summer. If we want Parsons we will match. If not then we won't. But at least we get to choose.

I think you're playing the naive card here; you know exactly what Rockets were aiming for and while to say your team is "screwed" is extreme, this development obviously throws a monkey-wrench into their grandiose summer plan of formulating a big 4. Clearly the goal of the summer wasn't to just avoid overpaying for Chandler Parsons. The fact is the team gambled and now may lose out on their big 4 AND end up paying Parson more than they probably wanted to.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Luke wrote:

I'm going to do the unthinkable and question Larry Coon. Dwight, Harden, and a maxed out Bosh exceeds 55 million. Even if they manage to renounce/dump everyone else on the roster (including Beverly) and after cap holds, that still leaves less than $5 million for Parsons.

the Rockets have Parsons bird rights.so they can use up all her cap space on BosH anyone else and then resign Parsons 4 any amount,
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject:

Luke wrote:

Yes, but this was always known. That was the case to bring in any max player and give him as much as possible, which would still be below a full max.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
gng930 wrote:

Which, given Lebron's history, is anything but a given. Rockets will have until Sunday to match. How often are announcements of this magnitude made on the weekend? So IMO, if Lebron doesn't make his decision by Friday to trigger the dominoes, you guys are out of luck.

Out of luck in trying to get a 2 for 1, sure. But that was only possible this summer. It would not have been possible next summer. If we want Parsons we will match. If not then we won't. But at least we get to choose.

I think you're playing the naive card here; you know exactly what Rockets were aiming for and while to say your team is "screwed" is extreme, this development obviously throws a monkey-wrench into their grandiose summer plan of formulating a big 4. Clearly the goal of the summer wasn't to just avoid overpaying for Chandler Parsons. The fact is the team gambled and now may lose out on their big 4 AND end up paying Parson more than they probably wanted to.

Huh? Did you read my post? I said the team may be out of luck in trying for a 2 for 1 (bolded for you). That was the teams plans this summer, to bring in a max guy and then go over the cap to resign Parsons. If the team want's Parsons they can still have them. At least they get to choose this summer.
BallerJohnDoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Luke wrote:

Did you not read the posts above or you simply don't understand what a restricted free agent means? Man, you don't know what you're talking about. LMAO.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject:

Rockets have until Saturday to fix the Asik trade, find a way to move Lin and get Bosh to actually sign his max deal. Otherwise the whole thing blows up.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Rockets have until Saturday to fix the Asik trade, find a way to move Lin and get Bosh to actually sign his max deal. Otherwise the whole thing blows up.

I doubt moving Lin and Asik is a big deal. Reportedly, the Lin deal is all teed up, and Asik is a pretty easy fix if it means getting Bosh. The big thing is Bosh, and how long he waits for Lebron. If Bosh says yes today or tomorrow, it will happen.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
gng930 wrote:
Luke wrote:

the Rockets have Parsons bird rights.so they can use up all her cap space on BosH anyone else and then resign Parsons 4 any amount,

I thought Larry was referring to a new situation in which it didn't look like Lebron (and therefore Bosh) would be making a decision until after the deadline for the Rockets to match. But yeah, I believe that's why Bosh got a slightly-less-than-MAX offer from the Rockets.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
gng930 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
gng930 wrote:

Huh? Did you read my post? I said the team may be out of luck in trying for a 2 for 1 (bolded for you). That was the teams plans this summer, to bring in a max guy and then go over the cap to resign Parsons. If the team want's Parsons they can still have them. At least they get to choose this summer.

Why do you keep referring to the ability to match Parson's inflated offer sheet as if it's some sort of victory for the Rockets? If it's not obvious to you that the decision to allow him to become a FA has clearly backfired then you are just in denial.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4702585/why-overpaying-parsons-makes-sense-for-mavs

Quote:

Houston general manager Daryl Morey has been forced into making difficult decisions the next few days. Does he scramble to dump salaries, attempt to talk Bosh into taking a less-than-max deal, and enter luxury-tax territory by matching the offer to Parsons? Does Morey swallow hard and pay Parsons much more than the Rockets planned while keeping their bargain-priced role players, sacrificing the ability to make a major addition to the core of a team that failed to get out of the first round of the playoffs?

These can't be the kinds of decisions Morey saw coming when he declined the option to pay Parsons $965,000 next season, a move the Rockets' front office surely regrets right now.
Morey clearly hoped that Parsons would play ball with the Rockets, waiting until Houston had taken care of its other major business before cashing in with a big contract.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

I hope so.

cccplus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
gng930 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
gng930 wrote:

Why do you keep referring to the ability to match Parson's inflated offer sheet as if it's some sort of victory for the Rockets? If it's not obvious to you that the decision to allow him to become a FA has clearly backfired then you are just in denial.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4702585/why-overpaying-parsons-makes-sense-for-mavs

Quote:

Houston general manager Daryl Morey has been forced into making difficult decisions the next few days. Does he scramble to dump salaries, attempt to talk Bosh into taking a less-than-max deal, and enter luxury-tax territory by matching the offer to Parsons? Does Morey swallow hard and pay Parsons much more than the Rockets planned while keeping their bargain-priced role players, sacrificing the ability to make a major addition to the core of a team that failed to get out of the first round of the playoffs?

These can't be the kinds of decisions Morey saw coming when he declined the option to pay Parsons $965,000 next season, a move the Rockets' front office surely regrets right now.
Morey clearly hoped that Parsons would play ball with the Rockets, waiting until Houston had taken care of its other major business before cashing in with a big contract.

This! maybe Cuban intentionally sticking it to the rockets - i'm sure he doesn't mind overpaying parsons for 3 years...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
gng930 wrote:
Luke wrote:

I thought Larry was referring to a new situation in which it didn't look like Lebron (and therefore Bosh) would be making a decision until after the deadline for the Rockets to match. But yeah, I believe that's why Bosh got a slightly-less-than-MAX offer from the Rockets.

I'm not sure what you're asking, but here's the situation: The Rockets can offer whatever cap space they have to Bosh. At the moment, Parsons cap hold is about $2 million I think; the minute they match the Mavs offer, his full $15 million salary counts against cap. In other words, if the Rockets match Parsons offer before Bosh signs, they would no longer have any cap space. So their choices are: sign Bosh before they match Parsons, or don't match Parsons.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject:

wow, $15 million for Parsons. He is a great player, though.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:

Why do you keep referring to the ability to match Parson's inflated offer sheet as if it's some sort of victory for the Rockets?

Because they have the option to decide if they want to pay Parsons that amount and keep him, as opposed to not having that chance next summer (when he would have gotten a big offer). Not that complex.
cccplus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
gng930 wrote:

Why do you keep referring to the ability to match Parson's inflated offer sheet as if it's some sort of victory for the Rockets?

Because they have the option to decide if they want to pay Parsons that amount and keep him, as opposed to not having that chance next summer (when he would have gotten a big offer). Not that complex.

wow, that's a victory for the rockets. so, they can decide to overpay him or let him go without any compensation. i guess it's too complex for rockets to keep parsons for $1 million rookie scale and trade him for assets
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
wow, $15 million for Parsons. He is a great player, though.

good, not great. for reference, he is getting paid more than harden.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Rockets should keep Parsons. Even at that price, a 3 year deal makes it very movable. Parsons is a pretty good team player and someone who basically was Dwight's main friend in the recruiting process. Houston would be stupid to let him walk. They have a nice trio with Dwight, Harden and Chandler. What they badly need is some defensive players who can knock down some 3's around that trio. And a head coach who knows how to actually win games in the playoffs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject:

$15 million to Parsons
$15 million to Jeremy Lin
all shots to James Harden

---> Dwight Howard
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: