OFFICIAL JEREMY LIN THREAD....WELCOME TO LINSANITY!! (Attn: New and old posters - Please read message on page 1 before posting)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134 ... 193, 194, 195  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kinein
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject:

sidestep wrote:
As for Lin's triple double, I don't think it's particularly special to say he did it from off the bench, since some 6th men get starter-level minutes. Rather, it's that Lin that in only 29 minutes that is kinda wild.

The only cool part is that it was the 1st time anyone in the NBA had done it in 25 years. That'd be ohhh 1988 or 1989 season. Which is approximately more than 2000 games per team. (from then til now). 1 game, 25 years to see it happen again.

and.. not 1 single team had 1 single player in all those games achieve this in the NBA in that span of time. I'm just looking at this by considering probability statistics and the history of the NBA.
SirRalph1980
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
Can someone that knows the answer with certainty please tell me if we want to lock Lin up for more than this upcoming season....how long can we get him to sign for now and what would the $$ amount need to be (any limits/restrictions)?

You have his Bird rights if he does really well ie Kyle Lowry got 4 yrs 48
8-9 if he is an avg -above avg starter. 6-8 avg play and he takes a discount
but basically because of his Bird rights the lakers can keep him if they want him.
kinein
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject:

bawller wrote:
fadeaway3 wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Can someone that knows the answer with certainty please tell me if we want to lock Lin up for more than this upcoming season....how long can we get him to sign for now and what would the $$ amount need to be (any limits/restrictions)?

5 years 140 million max contract offer for 2015 to 2020 season. If he does well this season, I think the fair market value for Lin is about 9 million per year.

Even Ricky Rubio is asking for max. So I don't Lin can be resigned at 9 million per especially if he does well.

Just to kill time and have something else to chat about.. interesting article, on how Brooklyn should have gotten Lin and how they missed their chance.

Excerpt.. for more http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/score-brook-lin-nets-fuhgeddaboudit-article-1.1872982

Talks about how much Deron Williams is making and how he's over the hill basically but going to make 19-21 million a year for the next 3 years.

Quote:

Williams inked a five-year, $98 million deal in the summer of 2012 and has made exactly zero All-Star appearances since. Last season, slowed by injuries yet again, Williams averaged career lows (not counting his rookie year) in minutes, points, assists and free throws attempted.

He is slated to make $19.7 million, $21 million and $22 million, respectively, in the upcoming seasons. For a team that is a staggering $54 million over the salary cap, shipping Williams out is the first step on the road to recovery.

Replacing Williams with Lin, as strange as it sounds, isn’t really a downgrade. Their stats were comparable last season and this was with Lin being mostly an afterthought on a Rockets team with ball-stoppers James Harden and Dwight Howard, who couldn’t have possibly been less interested in running the pick-and-roll, Lin’s bread-and-butter.
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:

There's no way to know with absolute certainty. Max salary (and salary cap) is calculated as a percentage of the revenue that the league takes in each year. The accountants tally up the books for the season during the free agent signing moratorium.

Then, when the signing moratorium ends, on the first day that free agents are allowed to sign, the league will release the new numbers for the new season. People may "project" what the "expected" numbers will be. But the actual numbers released by the accountants can actually be higher or lower than expectations.

For the current season, the max for a player with 0-6 yrs in the league (Lin has 4yrs of NBA experience, so he'll have 5 at the end of the season) is $14,746,000.

The Lakers will have his bird rights, which allows them to offer a contract of up to 5yrs with a yearly raise of up to 7.5%.

7.5% of $14,746,000 is $1,105,950.

Using those numbers, that gives a max contract structure:
2015-2016: $14,746,000
2016-2017: $15,851,950.000
2017-2018: $16,957,900.000
2018-2019: $18,063,850.000
2019-2020: $19,169,800.000

So, assuming the salary cap remains unchanged (not likely) the max that he could be offered by the Lakers would be a 5y/$84,789,500.

If the salary cap goes up during the off-season next summer, than those numbers can go up. But unless he's putting up jaw-dropping numbers and winning a title this year (extremely unlikely), he's probably not going to get a max contract.

If he plays well, he can still get a nice contract though. But those are the theoretical max that he can get from the Lakers (with a bit more if the salary cap goes up next year). Other teams will not be able to offer as much, since they don't have his bird rights (they're limited to 4yrs and 4.5% yearly raises, instead of the 5yrs and 7.5% raises for the team with bird rights).

And the lower limit is a Vet Min obviously.

Last edited by AirShooter on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
cgambino123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Are there really discussions about giving Lin the max after this season? LOL what
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject:

cgambino123 wrote:
Are there really discussions about giving Lin the max after this season? LOL what

Of course not. The poster asked for the limits. So I gave the theoretical limits. Max at one end, vet min at other.

No one is saying that's what he should get or deserves.
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject:

fadeaway3 wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:

5 years 140 million max contract offer for 2015 to 2020 season. If he does well this season, I think the fair market value for Lin is about 9 million per year.

No, he's not eligible for that much money. There's a limit for how much a player can be paid based on his years in the NBA. That much money is not allowed by the CBA for a player with Lin's number of years in the league.

Last edited by AirShooter on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
bawller
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject:

cgambino123 wrote:

No. But people are talking about WHAT IF he plays well. Depending on how well he plays (say as well as 20/10), it's definitely possible that there will be a team offering him the max (near max) contract.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject:

AirShooter wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:

There's no way to know with absolute certainty. Max salary (and salary cap) is calculated as a percentage of the revenue that the league takes in each year. The accountants tally up the books for the season during the free agent signing moratorium.

Then, when the signing moratorium ends, on the first day that free agents are allowed to sign, the league will release the new numbers for the new season. People may "project" what the "expected" numbers will be. But the actual numbers released by the accountants can actually be higher or lower than expectations.

For the current season, the max for a player with 0-6 yrs in the league (Lin has 4yrs of NBA experience, so he'll have 5 at the end of the season) is $14,746,000.

The Lakers will have his bird rights, which allows them to offer a contract of up to 5yrs with a yearly raise of up to 7.5%.

7.5% of $14,746,000 is $1,105,950.

Using those numbers, that gives a max contract structure:
2015-2016: $14,746,000
2016-2017: $15,851,950.000
2017-2018: $16,957,900.000
2018-2019: $18,063,850.000
2019-2020: $19,169,800.000

So, assuming the salary cap remains unchanged (not likely) the max that he could be offered by the Lakers would be a 5y/$84,789,500.

If the salary cap goes up during the off-season next summer, than those numbers can go up. But unless he's putting up jaw-dropping numbers and winning a title this year (extremely unlikely), he's probably not going to get a max contract.

If he plays well, he can still get a nice contract though. But those are the theoretical max that he can get from the Lakers (with a bit more if the salary cap goes up next year). Other teams will not be able to offer as much, since they don't have his bird rights (they're limited to 4yrs and 4.5% yearly raises, instead of the 5yrs and 7.5% raises for the team with bird rights).

And the lower limit is a Vet Min obviously.

Thanks for that very detailed breakdown.

Anyone know...can we work out a deal with him now (before he plays this season) and what is the max/min years we could sign him for now?
ice_cold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject:

I could see Lin taking a home discount on his next contract if things worked out in LA. He has family in California, and it just feels like he would value the opportunity to build something long term. ... his agent is the same as for Tim Duncan.
fadeaway3
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject:

bawller wrote:
fadeaway3 wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:

Even Ricky Rubio is asking for max. So I don't Lin can be resigned at 9 million per especially if he does well.

Ricky Rubio can ask for what he wants, but I doubt he'll get it. I think he is the single most overrated PG in the game. His stats are worse than Lin's and he was given every advantage to shine. Rubio has little upside and if given a max contract he will never live up to it.

In regards to Lin, lets just see how well he plays. That single factor will determine his value on the market. I just hope he gives us a hometown discount.
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject:

ice_cold wrote:
I could see Lin taking a home discount on his next contract if things worked out in LA. He has family in California, and it just feels like he would value the opportunity to build something long term. ... his agent is the same as for Tim Duncan.

That's true, Lin does share an agent with Tim Duncan.
DL24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Hey everyone, not sure if this has been posted, but Jlin was in the Fox studios for an interview, here are a couple pics

https://twitter.com/MariaSansone/status/492713653846560768/photo/1

http://instagram.com/p/q4aDX5j9f9/embed/

cheers!

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
EddieJonesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject:

DL24 wrote:
Hey everyone, not sure if this has been posted, but Jlin was in the Fox studios for an interview, here are a couple pics

cheers!

What a goddess!
cgambino123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject:

fadeaway3 wrote:
bawller wrote:
fadeaway3 wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:

Ricky Rubio can ask for what he wants, but I doubt he'll get it. I think he is the single most overrated PG in the game. His stats are worse than Lin's and he was given every advantage to shine. Rubio has little upside and if given a max contract he will never live up to it.

In regards to Lin, lets just see how well he plays. That single factor will determine his value on the market. I just hope he gives us a hometown discount.

I agree Rubio doesn't deserve the max, but he's better than Lin. He's one of the best at running an offense, an incredible passer, has high ball IQ, and can run the fast break effectively. On defense he's a solid on ball defender while being a great team and help defender and can use his long arms to get in passing lanes and get steals.

If he had a consistent jumper he'd be a top 5-7 PG
cgambino123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject:

I think if Lin plays well i.e 15 and 7 (20 and 10 is a pipe dream), I think we should resign him for like 3 years 20 million.
bawller
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject:

cgambino123 wrote:
fadeaway3 wrote:
bawller wrote:
fadeaway3 wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:

I agree Rubio doesn't deserve the max, but he's better than Lin. He's one of the best at running an offense, an incredible passer, has high ball IQ, and can run the fast break effectively. On defense he's a solid on ball defender while being a great team and help defender and can use his long arms to get in passing lanes and get steals.

I totally disagree with that assessment.
Rubio's got flashy passes than Lin, but Lin is better than him in pretty much all other aspects.
fadeaway3
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject:

cgambino123 wrote:
fadeaway3 wrote:
bawller wrote:
fadeaway3 wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:

I don't agree with Rubio being better. The only category he's ahead of Lin is in assist. I think that's going to change this year as well. If you only watch highlights of Rubio than you'll get the impression that he's really good, but if you watch the game he's below average.
Morgan Freeman
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject:

cgambino123 wrote:
fadeaway3 wrote:
bawller wrote:
fadeaway3 wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:

Lol no, Rubio is not better than Lin at the moment.

And don't ask the "what if" question.

Rubio is playing professional basketball for a long time already and everybody know he can never improve his jumpshot percentage anymore.
cgambino123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject:

bawller wrote:
cgambino123 wrote:
fadeaway3 wrote:
bawller wrote:
fadeaway3 wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:

I totally disagree with that assessment.
Rubio's got flashy passes than Lin, but Lin is better than him in pretty much all other aspects.

Only thing Lin has over Rubio is his shooting and finishing. Granted that's pretty big, but if you think Lin is better than Rubio in every other aspect than you haven's seen Rubio play. And it's not just flashy. People just think Rubio is all flash because that's the hype he came into the league with. But in terms of being a pure PG, he's probably the best in the game not named CP3 or Rondo
DL24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject:

EddieJonesss wrote:
DL24 wrote:

cheers!

What a goddess!

rumor has it...and this is just a rumor, that LA has some moderately attractive women?

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
fadeaway3
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject:

cgambino123 wrote:
I think if Lin plays well i.e 15 and 7 (20 and 10 is a pipe dream), I think we should resign him for like 3 years 20 million.

Troll? Even if you consider hometown discount that is a super low ball offer for that kind of stat.
cgambino123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject:

People who are disagreeing with me about Rubio just look at the stats. Watch him play. Granted he'll have some horrible nights, but even Lin has those.

Don't get me wrong. I like Lin he's prob my third favorite player in the league. But Rubio has more skill and control in his game
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject:

fadeaway3 wrote:
cgambino123 wrote:

Troll? Even if you consider hometown discount that is a super low ball offer for that kind of stat.

Isaiah Thomas just averaged 20 and 6 and got less than that (per year). I can see Lin giving us a hometown discount. Well hopefully. Wouldn't mind him on a Nick Young like deal. Maybe a little more like 6-7 mil starting salary.
cgambino123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject:

fadeaway3 wrote:
cgambino123 wrote:

It all depends on his field goal percentage and his defense. If his FG% is above 45%, 3PT% is above 36% and he puts up 15 and 7 with solid D, then I can see him getting a 4yr/40 mil offer.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134 ... 193, 194, 195  Next
Page 133 of 195
Jump to: