OFFICIAL JEREMY LIN THREAD....WELCOME TO LINSANITY!! (Attn: New and old posters - Please read message on page 1 before posting)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 167, 168, 169 ... 193, 194, 195  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlinfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject:

tomato123 wrote:
Jeremy Lin wants to meet with Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash before camp begins so he can start learning from them ASAP:
https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/494667221881589760

Thanks.

Headline makes it seem as if Lin is calling out Nash and Kobe to get together. Not the case.

Best takeaway for me was his answer this question:

"When asked if he feels he has proven that he’s a starting-caliber point guard in the NBA, Lin’s answer is somewhat surprising."

"You know what, that’s a good question; I don’t know and I don’t think I actually care anymore, and I think that’s just where I’m at in my life,” Lin said. “I don’t care to figure out what the answer to that question is anymore. Before I [had] kind of like a chip on my shoulder, things to prove, people to prove wrong. Now, I’m just like when I get out there I’m going to play and everyone’s going to formulate their own opinion and it’s going to change every single day. I don’t think my own opinion of myself has ever changed. I still believe I am capable of that. But that’s just me, that’s if you ask me. I’m not really worried about what everyone else is thinking anymore.”
Lin is focused on things that he can control."

His answer to me means he is getting more mature and that can only help his game.
timyeung
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
And Jeremy should have definitely learned from Harden how to get calls and sell contact. Harden is the best in the NBA at getting to the line and does so with ease.

Except in the Playoffs. Harden gets called for ref baiting during the regular season and the refs don't fall for it during the Playoffs.
metalogic7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Hat

ReadOnlyFan wrote:
tomato123 wrote:
metalogic7 wrote:
kinein wrote:
metalogic7 wrote:

I wish he is right though. I don't wanna go thru another season screaming at the tv for Lin to take the MFing shot.

Thats me. SHOOT IT. YOUR WIDE OPEN. SHOOT IT.
DUNK THAT! DUNK ITTTT!!

Lol. I sound like a complete hater.
Come on Jeremy. what the heck!! Will you please take the effing SHOT?
SHOOT the ball, u p###y!
Noooooo...don't freakingg leave your man. Nooooooo, why did you do that!!
YES. I told you!! Just keep shooting.
Eff Mchale. Eff harden. Just play your game!!!!
(At the end of the game) Good game. Not too bad.

Some People just want Jeremy to be selfish. But that's not his style. He creates for teammates and get everybody involved even with no name rookie Troy Daniels. It's very similar to Spurs playing style. I think this is the right way to play basketball. On the other hand, James Harden played selfish but he end it up bricking all his shots in the playoffs series.

+1
A selfish Jlin is not the Jlin I support, team game is part of Linsanity.

This is not a black or white issue - like Lin is either 100% selfish or 100% unselfish. Lin could learn to be more selfish especially when passing up shots ends up leading to nothing and doesn't help the team.

Lin by his nature will never be that selfish, stat conscious, game seeking ball hog that Mchale thought he was. He is a team player first and foremost. But he need to be able to take and knock down those open threes like Nash did instead of faking, passing off and having a worse shooter take the shot. This happens in almost every game. He needs to look for his own when the opportunity presents itself. In my opinion, he had a lot of trouble recognizing that in Houston.
metalogic7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject:

The reason Jeremy doesn't get calls is because he looks like he is out of control when he drives the lane. Compare him to harden who is a much more deliberate, in control player.

I do agree that some fouls are often missed and Lin doesn't seem to get the benefit of the doubt especially when he gets absolutely pummeled,... But from Lin's standpoint he just has to adjust his game to get the calls by playing at a different speed. Continuing to keep his head down and sprint in the lane will not help him in the long run.
kinein
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject:

On how Dr. Buss did it:

Quote:
"Everybody can see the skillful players. But the question is, 'Are you willing to wait until you find a skillful player with high character?' Eventually, the character is what wins out on the court," Buss said.

* How would you rate Jeremy Lin's character?
SirRalph1980
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject:

timyeung wrote:
Quote:
And Jeremy should have definitely learned from Harden how to get calls and sell contact. Harden is the best in the NBA at getting to the line and does so with ease.

Except in the Playoffs. Harden gets called for ref baiting during the regular season and the refs don't fall for it during the Playoffs.

He will probably get a lot more calls on the Lakers. He def got those calls on the Knicks I think refs were hesitant to give him the calls with all the flopping that Harden does plus Dwight's always at the line. The refs risked turning the game into a free throw parade. Also I agree that some of those calls are star calls and he may get that benefit more now like when he was in New York.
EddieJonesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject:

kinein wrote:
On how Dr. Buss did it:

Quote:
"Everybody can see the skillful players. But the question is, 'Are you willing to wait until you find a skillful player with high character?' Eventually, the character is what wins out on the court," Buss said.

This quote should be posted in the Michael Beasley thread.

I think we can all agree that Jeremy is a player with high character.
-Showtime-
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hat

PPP wrote:
cgambino123 wrote:
Xtreme wrote:
bccat wrote:

What many good drivers do is to create fouls. Or at least make it impossible for the ref to not call a foul. It's a shame Jeremy didn't learn that skill from Harden.

The real shame is Haren didn't learn squat from Lin play making

Edit: I'm glad he didn't learn a thing

What?

As much as we get on Harden he's actually a very good passer/playmaker when he wants to be.

And Jeremy should have definitely learned from Harden how to get calls and sell contact. Harden is the best in the NBA at getting to the line and does so with ease. Whereas Lin almost always gets hit in the head or falls to the ground. It's not smart basketball for the long term.

Those are ugly basketball to watch/play. Never saw Kobe flopped once. Dont want any laker being called a flopper or the lakers being called flop city.

Flopping is lame. Harden's brand of flop ball didn't work in the playoffs where he got eliminated in the first round against the Blazers.
metalogic7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject:

EddieJonesss wrote:
kinein wrote:
On how Dr. Buss did it:

Quote:

Just saw a video of Kobe playing one on one with buncha high school (?)in china. People absolutely love him there. I love how Kobe actually shows off some moves in events like this vs Lin who seem to do nothing at all. Something to say about showman ship.

If Kobe can mentor Lin to be a better player with a stronger mentality and approach to the game, he will forever become a legend in Asia. I don't know how much more his popularity can rise there, but he is going to rise to new height if this team has any success this year.
qiantom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject:

EddieJonesss wrote:
kinein wrote:
On how Dr. Buss did it:

Quote:

Great quote from Dr. Buss. Players with high character make the most of their talents, e.g., Kobe and Nash. Hope Lin can do the same.
rainbelt
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hat

-Showtime- wrote:

Flopping is lame. Harden's brand of flop ball didn't work in the playoffs where he got eliminated in the first round against the Blazers.

As a Blazer fan, I saw Lin keep the Rockets alive in the playoffs,
but I think he passed up too many shots,
which probably cost them Game 6 and round 2.

I expect his skills will reduce the wear & tear on Kobe,
and if some Kobe killer instinct rubs off on Jeremy,
it will be fun to watch. Just taze him for passing up
perfect open shot opportunities.
-Showtime-
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hat

rainbelt wrote:
-Showtime- wrote:

Lin did keep the Rockets alive in the playoffs and you're right, he deferred too much. I'm not sure how much of that is due to the coach's instructions, but if he didn't they may have had a chance in the series. I hope that Lin learns some stuff from Kobe and improves as a player, which is always what he's aspiring to do.
metalogic7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hat

rainbelt wrote:
-Showtime- wrote:

Yes. Thank you for pointing that out. Lin keeps deferring shots and it wasn't just the playoffs. It was his entire freaking career in Houston.

I think of all the Houston players, he's the only one who looked to be afraid to shoot. I see Aaron brooks coming in in his limited minutes and taking buncha shots. Even Bev towards the end of the season started taking shots. And asik took. The man who couldn't make a layup .. He couldn't give a eff.

That was Houston's offense. Everyone had the green light to shoot... Except Lin?.
It would be hard for me to believe Mchale somehow barred only Lin from shooting. It dreaming drive me nuts when he does that stupid fake that fools no one but just ends up costing him an open look.

I sincerely hope Kobe gets on his butt is he pulls off that crap with the lakers.

He can't defer like that and expect to succeed in the league.
tomato123
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hat

rainbelt wrote:
-Showtime- wrote:

Rockets lose game 6 because Mchale benched Jeremy with only 0.9second left.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject:

jlinfan wrote:
tomato123 wrote:
Jeremy Lin wants to meet with Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash before camp begins so he can start learning from them ASAP:

Thanks.

Headline makes it seem as if Lin is calling out Nash and Kobe to get together. Not the case.

"When asked if he feels he has proven that he’s a starting-caliber point guard in the NBA, Lin’s answer is somewhat surprising."

"You know what, that’s a good question; I don’t know and I don’t think I actually care anymore, and I think that’s just where I’m at in my life,” Lin said. “I don’t care to figure out what the answer to that question is anymore. Before I [had] kind of like a chip on my shoulder, things to prove, people to prove wrong. Now, I’m just like when I get out there I’m going to play and everyone’s going to formulate their own opinion and it’s going to change every single day. I don’t think my own opinion of myself has ever changed. I still believe I am capable of that. But that’s just me, that’s if you ask me. I’m not really worried about what everyone else is thinking anymore.”

His answer to me means he is getting more mature and that can only help his game.

honestly, i don't like his answer. i'd much rather hear F ( a t ) #K YES I'M THE STARTER. i liked that he made his feelings known through twitter in the jersey # fiasco. he needs a little more alpha swag. he CAN control if he's the starter. he needs to go into training camp and destroy nash and clarkson in practice and remove any shadow of doubt. he is CLEARLY the best PG at this point and his confidence should follow suit.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject:

metalogic7 wrote:
EddieJonesss wrote:
kinein wrote:
On how Dr. Buss did it:

Quote:

Just saw a video of Kobe playing one on one with buncha high school (?)in china. People absolutely love him there. I love how Kobe actually shows off some moves in events like this vs Lin who seem to do nothing at all. Something to say about showman ship.

If Kobe can mentor Lin to be a better player with a stronger mentality and approach to the game, he will forever become a legend in Asia. I don't know how much more his popularity can rise there, but he is going to rise to new height if this team has any success this year.

agree. he's the black mamba because he's an ice cold killer. jeremy can benefit the most from kobe in the psychological department. jeremy just has to believe he's the man. (he'll never be kobe, but he can be an all-star)
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject:

DJ Slik wrote:
jlinfan wrote:
tomato123 wrote:

Thanks.

honestly, i don't like his answer. i'd much rather hear F @ #K YES I'M THE STARTER. i liked that he made his feelings known through twitter in the jersey # fiasco. he needs a little more alpha swag. he CAN control if he's the starter. he needs to go into training camp and destroy nash and clarkson in practice and remove any shadow of doubt. he is CLEARLY the best PG at this point and his confidence should follow suit.

He was a better PG than Beverly in Houston, but he still lost his starting position. I'm sure he KNOWS that he's better than Beverly, but that didn't mean that he gets to be the starter.

He mentioned something about how that devastated him. He put in so much work.

I think now he's just coming with the mindset of being the best he can be. He believes that he's good enough, and that's the opinion that matters most to him. If the coach doesn't want him to be the starter, that's on the coach. He's not going to let it get in his head and gnaw at him anymore.
NomisR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
jlinfan wrote:
tomato123 wrote:

Thanks.

honestly, i don't like his answer. i'd much rather hear F [AT] #K YES I'M THE STARTER. i liked that he made his feelings known through twitter in the jersey # fiasco. he needs a little more alpha swag. he CAN control if he's the starter. he needs to go into training camp and destroy nash and clarkson in practice and remove any shadow of doubt. he is CLEARLY the best PG at this point and his confidence should follow suit.

He was a better PG than Beverly in Houston, but he still lost his starting position. I'm sure he KNOWS that he's better than Beverly, but that didn't mean that he gets to be the starter.

He mentioned something about how that devastated him. He put in so much work.

I think now he's just coming with the mindset of being the best he can be. He believes that he's good enough, and that's the opinion that matters most to him. If the coach doesn't want him to be the starter, that's on the coach. He's not going to let it get in his head and gnaw at him anymore.

Lin knows what it felt like for Farmar when he went to the nets to find a starting gig. Lin was pretty much stuck behind the Rockets version of Derek Fisher. Except their version of Fisher can actually play defense while ours is just known for his intangibles.
metalogic7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject:

DJ Slik wrote:
jlinfan wrote:
tomato123 wrote:

Thanks.

honestly, i don't like his answer. i'd much rather hear F ( a t ) #K YES I'M THE STARTER. i liked that he made his feelings known through twitter in the jersey # fiasco. he needs a little more alpha swag. he CAN control if he's the starter. he needs to go into training camp and destroy nash and clarkson in practice and remove any shadow of doubt. he is CLEARLY the best PG at this point and his confidence should follow suit.

Yeah. He comes across way too meek. Maybe some of it is the product of mchale's constant criticism in Houston but I wish he had some of that Kobe bravado. He tries to hard not to come across as being showy. And he is too self deprecating to a fault.
qiantom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Regarding the Lin trade, could it be that Mitch knew something so he forced Morey to make the trade before Bosh made his decision? Morey most likely would not have made the trade if he already knew that Bosh was not coming.
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hat

metalogic7 wrote:
rainbelt wrote:
-Showtime- wrote:

Yes. Thank you for pointing that out. Lin keeps deferring shots and it wasn't just the playoffs. It was his entire freaking career in Houston.

I think of all the Houston players, he's the only one who looked to be afraid to shoot. I see Aaron brooks coming in in his limited minutes and taking buncha shots. Even Bev towards the end of the season started taking shots. And asik took. The man who couldn't make a layup .. He couldn't give a eff.

That was Houston's offense. Everyone had the green light to shoot... Except Lin?.
It would be hard for me to believe Mchale somehow barred only Lin from shooting. It dreaming drive me nuts when he does that stupid fake that fools no one but just ends up costing him an open look.

I sincerely hope Kobe gets on his butt is he pulls off that crap with the lakers.

He can't defer like that and expect to succeed in the league.

You know how some people believe that part of the reason Dwight is so fixated on posting up and adamantly against PNR is because of people like Shaq or Barkley claiming Dwight has no posting skills?

I wonder if something similar might not be at play here with Lin. During Linsanity, haters were looking for anything to bash him on. One criticism was that he "score too much" and wasn't "a true pg." I wonder if that's why he defers a bit too much and is too unselfish, trying to get his teammates assists instead of taking the shot.

I think that balance between scoring and assisting is something that a veteran PG needs to develop in learning to run a team's offense. Especially a PG like Lin who has both the shooting/scoring ability as well as the passing ability to facilitate, instead of a one dimensional PG who can only do one or the other.

Hopefully experience will help season Lin and he'll improve in his decision making of when to defer to get his teammates going and when to just take the freaking shot. I think the veteran wisdom of Kobe and Nash can help Lin learn to find that balance in his game.

But regardless of how he's played played in the rest of the game, the strangest thing is that when 4th quarter rolls around, all that hesitation and over thinking disappears and he stops thinking and just plays. When the pressure is on, his level of play always goes up a notch to match it in the fourth quarter, whether he was good or bad in previous quarters. It's why the Knicks fans called him "Mr. 4th Quarter" because his competitive killer instinct kicks in when the game is on the line, and he stops over thinking and just goes on instinct. I think there was even a stat floating around that showed how his shooting percentages actually go up at the end of games when the score is close.
NomisR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject:

metalogic7 wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:

honestly, i don't like his answer. i'd much rather hear F [AT] #K YES I'M THE STARTER. i liked that he made his feelings known through twitter in the jersey # fiasco. he needs a little more alpha swag. he CAN control if he's the starter. he needs to go into training camp and destroy nash and clarkson in practice and remove any shadow of doubt. he is CLEARLY the best PG at this point and his confidence should follow suit.

Yeah. He comes across way too meek. Maybe some of it is the product of mchale's constant criticism in Houston but I wish he had some of that Kobe bravado. He tries to hard not to come across as being showy. And he is too self deprecating to a fault.

I think part of this is the Chinese Confucian humility that he learned from his upbringing. I guess in western cultures, this is a sign of weakness, but I highly doubt it. Like others have said, if he was weak, he wouldn't have made it this far against all odds.

Hell, with the money he's made, he can simply retire and still live a happy life..
metalogic7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject:

DJ Slik wrote:
metalogic7 wrote:
EddieJonesss wrote:
kinein wrote:
On how Dr. Buss did it:

Quote:

agree. he's the black mamba because he's an ice cold killer. jeremy can benefit the most from kobe in the psychological department. jeremy just has to believe he's the man. (he'll never be kobe, but he can be an all-star)

I don't know if Kobe has ever taken anyone underneath his wing as a mentor but I would love it if he would for Jeremy. Show Lin some tough love and let him know he needs Lin to play a more assertive role if the lakers are to win. Empower him while kicking his butt for repeating dumb crap. Lin needs to enroll in that "Kobe system".
metalogic7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject:

NomisR wrote:
metalogic7 wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:

I think part of this is the Chinese Confucian humility that he learned from his upbringing. I guess in western cultures, this is a sign of weakness, but I highly doubt it. Like others have said, if he was weak, he wouldn't have made it this far against all odds.

Hell, with the money he's made, he can simply retire and still live a happy life..

I guess I am sick and tired of an Asian figure sticking to that stereotype. But I've come to realize that that is who he is. I can complain but he will never change.

All I care about is what can he do on the court. That's all that should matter.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject:

metalogic7 wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
metalogic7 wrote:
EddieJonesss wrote:
kinein wrote:
On how Dr. Buss did it:

Quote:

I don't know if Kobe has ever taken anyone underneath his wing as a mentor but I would love it if he would for Jeremy. Show Lin some tough love and let him know he needs Lin to play a more assertive role if the lakers are to win. Empower him while kicking his butt for repeating dumb crap. Lin needs to enroll in that "Kobe system".

He mentored Trevor, Caron, Wes, Nick, Shannon and Sasha
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 167, 168, 169 ... 193, 194, 195  Next
Page 168 of 195
Jump to: