OFFICIAL JEREMY LIN THREAD....WELCOME TO LINSANITY!! (Attn: New and old posters - Please read message on page 1 before posting)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 192, 193, 194, 195  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject:

DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
I like Jeremy, but please don't compare him to Jackie Robinson. Not the same ballpark or stratosphere in terms of time and impact.

fergawdsakes....can people not draw analogies? can people not point out similarities? NO ONE is saying jeremy lin is somehow greater or more impactful or (insert superlative) than jackie robinson. but the two of them and their narratives are similar IN WAYS. he is jackie robinson to a lot of people--doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. if he IS that guy to someone, and he inspires some kid to do something that had not been done, then that's all that matters.

Jackie Robinson was the first to break color lines all across the board in a major American sport during a time of civil unrest. Lin is not even the first Asian, nor the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th to ever play in the NBA. To put both in the same sentence is (bleep) asinine.

not asinine at all. lin is the first asian american in the modern NBA game. he's the first to ever do what he did undrafted. he's the first in a lot of ways. and once again, what is asinine is that you don't get that what he REPRESENTS to different people is what matters. you still don't get it, and you never will. there's a reason jackie robinson's name keeps popping up in every discussion board on jeremy lin ever. it's because they were both pioneers in some way. whatever, agree to disagree.

It's not a valid comparison despite your insistence that certain people perceive it that way. You can't just force the inception that "Hey, X is actually Y because I want to believe it is!" The reason Jackie Robinson's name pops up on "every discussion board on jeremy lin ever" isn't because Jeremy broke a color barrier and opened the door for institutionally third-class citizens who were yet ~100 or so years removed from being recognized by their government as personal property. I'm not telling you this to harsh your buzz, I'm telling you this because you will run into future problems (disappointment and hostility) if you continue this historically inaccurate and logically false hyperbole into other threads. People are absolutely going to rip you apart, as they should. It's okay to love Jeremy (I hope I will), but Jackie Robinson? C'mon.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
I like Jeremy, but please don't compare him to Jackie Robinson. Not the same ballpark or stratosphere in terms of time and impact.

fergawdsakes....can people not draw analogies? can people not point out similarities? NO ONE is saying jeremy lin is somehow greater or more impactful or (insert superlative) than jackie robinson. but the two of them and their narratives are similar IN WAYS. he is jackie robinson to a lot of people--doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. if he IS that guy to someone, and he inspires some kid to do something that had not been done, then that's all that matters.

Jackie Robinson was the first to break color lines all across the board in a major American sport during a time of civil unrest. Lin is not even the first Asian, nor the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th to ever play in the NBA. To put both in the same sentence is (bleep) asinine.

not asinine at all. lin is the first asian american in the modern NBA game. he's the first to ever do what he did undrafted. he's the first in a lot of ways. and once again, what is asinine is that you don't get that what he REPRESENTS to different people is what matters. you still don't get it, and you never will. there's a reason jackie robinson's name keeps popping up in every discussion board on jeremy lin ever. it's because they were both pioneers in some way. whatever, agree to disagree.

It's not a valid comparison despite your insistence that certain people perceive it that way. You can't just force the inception that "Hey, X is actually Y because I want to believe it is!" The reason Jackie Robinson's name pops up on "every discussion board on jeremy lin ever" isn't because Jeremy broke a color barrier and opened the door for institutionally third-class citizens who were yet ~100 or so years removed from being recognized by their government as personal property. I'm not telling you this to harsh your buzz, I'm telling you this because you will run into future problems (disappointment and hostility) if you continue this historically inaccurate and logically false hyperbole into other threads. People are absolutely going to rip you apart, as they should. It's okay to love Jeremy (I hope I will), but Jackie Robinson? C'mon.

I prefer the Jeremy Lin as Rosa Parks analogy. He doesn't want to ride the back of the bench.
Xtreme
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject:

mnstrdnk wrote:
webattorney wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
Lin is a score first PG, which really is not a bad thing. I see him as an upgrade over Ramon Sessions. Working with Nash, and if B. Scott wants him to setup and dish more, I am sure he will. But having a guy out there who can score and create for himself, when Kobe is not on the floor or possibly even in the lineup, is never a bad thing.

He's a pass first, then try to score when no easy shot PG.

I think he's an aggressive point guard that knows how to read the defense as the play develops and becomes a shoot first or pass first depending the situation. Not a lot of guys have that ability. Steve Nash and Chris Paul off the top of my head. Please don't take what I'm saying as Lin is like the other two. That being said given opportunity and trust he may develop into an elite player. He sure has the work ethics to go along with it. That's basically how Nash became who he is. Frankly that's how Kobe became who he is.

that is so true
ginia1110
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject:

Ive looked at the Lakers schedule for Oct-April, is it possible to say that we can get at least 30 wins with our current rooster right now?

The uphill battle would be squeezing out those 20 more wins to qualify into the playoffs. I'd really hate for them not to get in next year.

Jlin has managed to get into playoffs in Knicks & Rox though.

R.Hibbert, wearing purple & gold next year = my pipe-dream... Lolz

Last edited by ginia1110 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Xtreme
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:

This is also so true, and I don't even live in the U.S you cannot compare Jeremy Lin with Jackie Robinson, maybe someone like Bruce Lee, but Jeremy Lin? C'mon

Last edited by Xtreme on Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:14 am; edited 1 time in total
ginia1110
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject:

Can we please stop with the Jackie Robinson and Jeremy Lin comparison, its turning into another useless argument.
Making something out of nothing is really....
They're both great/transcendental players and each deserves our respect, IMHO.

Xtreme
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject:

ginia1110 wrote:
Can we please stop with the Jackie Robinson and Jeremy Lin comparison, its turning into another useless argument.

why? it's false knowledge, if not corrected.

and they are not arguing , at least it doesn't sound like it from my own voice.
ginia1110
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject:

Xtreme wrote:
ginia1110 wrote:

It sounds like its gonna escalate into one, if it isn't already.

Xtreme
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject:

ginia1110 wrote:
Xtreme wrote:
ginia1110 wrote:

It sounds like its gonna escalate into one, if it isn't already.

depends how you read it, I'm reading the words with a smile right now
Xtreme
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject:

Okay let's find something interesting to talk about.

Jeremy Lin's hidden stat: Christmas!

Every since he got waived by the Rockets on X'mas 2011, he's been on all X'mas day games and has won all of them.

12/25/2012 the bulls never lost a home X'mas game until that, lucky? maybe

12/25/2013 not sure about them , but they spurs

isn't that interesting?

source :me

Last edited by Xtreme on Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
LinKobe
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject:

Yeah, please stop comparing Jeremy with iconic people in sports history. It's not fair to him nor is it fair to the name of the people who earned their place in sporting history. Jeremy is still just beginning his basketball journey. Let his own actions decide what mark in history he will make.
Adrenaline
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject:

LinKobe wrote:
Yeah, please stop comparing Jeremy with iconic people in sports history. It's not fair to him nor is it fair to the name of the people who earned their place in sporting history. Jeremy is still just beginning his basketball journey. Let his own actions decide what mark in history he will make.

okay fine... to close this off.... if were going to be literal on this board

Jackie Robinson was not the first Black BBall player

Lin was not the first Asian American BBall player

you can say Lin was the first Chinese/Taiwanese BBall player
Adrenaline
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject:

Im afraid to say Lin's story is "as inspirational" to me... as the Rudy Ruettiger story was to me when I first saw the movie

maybe I should clarify inspirational...

as in made me feel good, happy, want to cheer,

in no way am I saying the stories are the same

or saying one story is more inspirational than the other

or saying their stories are exactly similar
Adrenaline
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject:

^ nor am I saying Lin is White or Ruettiger was Asian

and im not implying Basketball is the same as Football

or comparing college Football to the NBA

and

im not saying the movie was a 100% accurate depiction of actual events

or that the Jeremy Lin movie was any less inspirational

or that Lin is as iconic, or that he is more iconic, or that he is less iconic
tomato123
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject:

Please don't compare Jeremy to Bruce Lee. Bruce Lee is god of martial arts.

Side Kick Video

Xtreme wrote:

This is also so true, and I don't even live in the U.S you cannot compare Jeremy Lin with Jackie Robinson, maybe someone like Bruce Lee, but Jeremy Lin? C'mon
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject:

Jeremy Lin is not Jackie Robinson, the magnitude of their story is not equal.
He is however the first American of asian descent that make it into the NBA. He has done what my generation couldn't do and yes, as an American male of asian descent, I do feel pride in watching this young man excel in the NBA.
So let's celebrate both accomplishments and support this Lakers team
gold555
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject:

Oh yea, I hope he keeps that record in straight.
Also he makes team in playoff in a row. Wish that one continues as well.

Xtreme wrote:

Every since he got waived by the Rockets on X'mas 2011, he's been on all X'mas day games and has won all of them.

isn't that interesting?

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject:

ginia1110 wrote:

ROFL. These posts are like Bynum circa 2008-2010 but around 10,000 times more ludicrous.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject:

It's going to be a long season.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
It's going to be a long season.

yup. 98+ games baby
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:

What you don't get is that there's such a huge gap in their respective cultural significance that it's an absolute insult to Robinson's historic impact on American society and all the (bleep) that he went through to even put them in the same breath. And I say this as an Asian American myself, who's been beaming with tremendous pride witnessing Lin's transformitive rise in the NBA, but yet fully understanding that fact.

What you and others don't understand is that analogous does not mean equivalent.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject:

DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:

What you don't get is that there's such a huge gap in their respective cultural significance that it's an absolute insult to Robinson's historic impact on American society and all the (bleep) that he went through to even put them in the same breath. And I say this as an Asian American myself, who's been beaming with tremendous pride witnessing Lin's transformitive rise in the NBA, but yet fully understanding that fact.

What you and others don't understand is that analogous does not mean equivalent.

But it's not even analogous when considering history that exists outside of your own perception.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Is it true, I heard that Jeremy Lin will be the new captain of the Lakers?

Wait... what? Are you joking? Where is it that you "heard" this?

If you look at the team you got Kobe then....I think Lin is the next best player today.
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject:

DJ Slik wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
I figure the Captain and Co-Captain will be Kobe and Nash. They are extremely hard workers and the most experienced and knowledgeable players.

kobe and nash deservedly should be.

Sure but probably should go to somebody that will play everynight
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Xtreme wrote:

isn't that interesting?

I know it's been said over and over again but MAN his game reminds me of Nash so much. Pretty exciting to know that once Nash retires there will be another to take his place. Just like Kobe did for Jordan.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 192, 193, 194, 195  Next
Page 193 of 195
Jump to: