OFFICIAL JEREMY LIN THREAD....WELCOME TO LINSANITY!! (Attn: New and old posters - Please read message on page 1 before posting)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 193, 194, 195  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Jeremy Lin is not Jackie Robinson, the magnitude of their story is not equal.
He is however the first American of asian descent that make it into the NBA. He has done what my generation couldn't do and yes, as an American male of asian descent, I do feel pride in watching this young man excel in the NBA.
So let's celebrate both accomplishments and support this Lakers team

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wataru_Misaka
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
I like Jeremy, but please don't compare him to Jackie Robinson. Not the same ballpark or stratosphere in terms of time and impact.

fergawdsakes....can people not draw analogies? can people not point out similarities? NO ONE is saying jeremy lin is somehow greater or more impactful or (insert superlative) than jackie robinson. but the two of them and their narratives are similar IN WAYS. he is jackie robinson to a lot of people--doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. if he IS that guy to someone, and he inspires some kid to do something that had not been done, then that's all that matters.

Jackie Robinson was the first to break color lines all across the board in a major American sport during a time of civil unrest. Lin is not even the first Asian, nor the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th to ever play in the NBA. To put both in the same sentence is (bleep) asinine.

not asinine at all. lin is the first asian american in the modern NBA game. he's the first to ever do what he did undrafted. he's the first in a lot of ways. and once again, what is asinine is that you don't get that what he REPRESENTS to different people is what matters. you still don't get it, and you never will. there's a reason jackie robinson's name keeps popping up in every discussion board on jeremy lin ever. it's because they were both pioneers in some way. whatever, agree to disagree.

What you don't get is that there's such a huge gap in their respective cultural significance that it's an absolute insult to Robinson's historic impact on American society and all the (bleep) that he went through to even put them in the same breath. And I say this as an Asian American myself, who's been beaming with tremendous pride witnessing Lin's transformitive rise in the NBA, but yet fully understanding that fact.

What you and others don't understand is that analogous does not mean equivalent.

But it's not even analogous when considering history that exists outside of your own perception.

jackie robinson faced discrimination. jeremy lin faced discrimination. analogous, though not equivalent.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject:

mnstrdnk wrote:
Xtreme wrote:
Okay let's find something interesting to talk about.

Jeremy Lin's hidden stat: Christmas!

Every since he got waived by the Rockets on X'mas 2011, he's been on all X'mas day games and has won all of them.

12/25/2012 the bulls never lost a home X'mas game until that, lucky? maybe

12/25/2013 not sure about them , but they spurs

isn't that interesting?

source :me

I know it's been said over and over again but MAN his game reminds me of Nash so much. Pretty exciting to know that once Nash retires there will be another to take his place. Just like Kobe did for Jordan.

i definitely see similarities in their offensive games. nash is a better shooter, jeremy the better driver...but we'll see if jeremy can launch like nash did. remember nash was very mediocre to start his career. we've certainly seen glimpses of potential from JLin to suggest that it is tantalizingly possible.
ginia1110
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ginia1110 wrote:
Can we please stop with the Jackie Robinson and Jeremy Lin comparison, its turning into another useless argument.
Making something out of nothing is really....
They're both great/transcendental players and each deserves our respect, IMHO.

ROFL. These posts are like Bynum circa 2008-2010 but around 10,000 times more ludicrous.

I really dont know what's ludicrous in calling Robinson & Lin trancendental players?

R.Hibbert, wearing purple & gold next year = my pipe-dream... Lolz
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject:

mnstrdnk wrote:
governator wrote:
He is however the first American of asian descent that make it into the NBA. He has done what my generation couldn't do and yes, as an American male of asian descent, I do feel pride in watching this young man excel in the NBA.

Very interesting. thanks.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ginia1110 wrote:
Can we please stop with the Jackie Robinson and Jeremy Lin comparison, its turning into another useless argument.

ROFL. These posts are like Bynum circa 2008-2010 but around 10,000 times more ludicrous.

I'm trying to read through this thread but my sarcasm detector is being thrown into a blender.
bccat
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject:

mnstrdnk wrote:
Xtreme wrote:
Okay let's find something interesting to talk about.

Jeremy Lin's hidden stat: Christmas!

Every since he got waived by the Rockets on X'mas 2011, he's been on all X'mas day games and has won all of them.

12/25/2012 the bulls never lost a home X'mas game until that, lucky? maybe

12/25/2013 not sure about them , but they spurs

isn't that interesting?

source :me

I know it's been said over and over again but MAN his game reminds me of Nash so much. Pretty exciting to know that once Nash retires there will be another to take his place. Just like Kobe did for Jordan.

For Lin to reach Nash level, he needs to find another Amare in his prime.
bccat
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ginia1110 wrote:

I'm trying to read through this thread but my sarcasm detector is being thrown into a blender.

Basically three or four posters going at each other
bccat
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Pgforlife wrote:
mnstrdnk wrote:
webattorney wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
Lin is a score first PG, which really is not a bad thing. I see ... a bad thing.

He's a pass first, then try to score when no easy shot PG.

I think he's an aggressive point guard that knows how to read the defense as the play develops and becomes a shoot first or pass first depending the situation. Not a lot of guys have that ability. Steve Nash and Chris Paul off the top of my head. Please don't take what I'm saying as Lin is like the other two. That being said given opportunity and trust he may develop into an elite player. He sure has the work ethics to go along with it. That's basically how Nash became who he is. Frankly that's how Kobe became who he is.

This. He's not like Rondo or Rubio who had a weak offensive game in terms of scoring and made their name in passing alone (Rondo has developed his game since his early years, thanks to us, lol). Lin is, imho, a true point meaning he attacks the weakness and makes the right play whether penetrating or with good court vision to develop the play. He can go either way.

Now, will his weaknesses slowly disappear over time (already happening), will his coaches ever have confidence in him and let him play through mistakes like you would a kid drafted in the first round or a more flashier player (probably not), will his game evolve with experience and become potent enough to affect games greatly on a daily basis (depends on the previous)... All I know for certain is that he has potential. He really does. Why people don't see this, I have no idea. But to me, it's there. The kid plays the right way and his fearlessness, speed and court vision on the break is something a team can build around, if given the chance. But then again, people think Michael is better than Magic, so go figure. To each his own, I guess.

+ Good to hear from your PG perspective.

Only thing is Lin will not be given time to grow. There are high expectations on him from his fans and critics already. If he doesn't explode this year with the Lakers, he may not get another chance.
fadeaway3
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject:

DJ Slik wrote:
C M B wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
I like Jeremy, but please don't compare him to Jackie Robinson. Not the same ballpark or stratosphere in terms of time and impact.

fergawdsakes....can people not draw analogies? can people not point out similarities? NO ONE is saying jeremy lin is somehow greater or more impactful or (insert superlative) than jackie robinson. but the two of them and their narratives are similar IN WAYS. he is jackie robinson to a lot of people--doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. if he IS that guy to someone, and he inspires some kid to do something that had not been done, then that's all that matters.

Jackie Robinson was the first to break color lines all across the board in a major American sport during a time of civil unrest. Lin is not even the first Asian, nor the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th to ever play in the NBA. To put both in the same sentence is (bleep) asinine.

not asinine at all. lin is the first asian american in the modern NBA game. he's the first to ever do what he did undrafted. he's the first in a lot of ways. and once again, what is asinine is that you don't get that what he REPRESENTS to different people is what matters. you still don't get it, and you never will. there's a reason jackie robinson's name keeps popping up in every discussion board on jeremy lin ever. it's because they were both pioneers in some way. whatever, agree to disagree.

What you don't get is that there's such a huge gap in their respective cultural significance that it's an absolute insult to Robinson's historic impact on American society and all the (bleep) that he went through to even put them in the same breath. And I say this as an Asian American myself, who's been beaming with tremendous pride witnessing Lin's transformitive rise in the NBA, but yet fully understanding that fact.

What you and others don't understand is that analogous does not mean equivalent.

But it's not even analogous when considering history that exists outside of your own perception.

jackie robinson faced discrimination. jeremy lin faced discrimination. analogous, though not equivalent.

Bruce Lee threw kicks and punches, my nephew throws punch and kicks, my nephew = Bruce Lee?
bccat
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject:

[quote="fadeaway3"]
DJ Slik wrote:
C M B wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:

fergawdsakes....... not been done, then that's all that matters.

Jackie Robinson was .... whatever, agree to disagree.

What you don't get is that there's such a huge gap in their respective cultural ..., but yet fully understanding that fact.

Bruce Lee threw kicks and punches, my nephew throws punch and kicks, my nephew = Bruce Lee?

Spoiler

Just kidding guys. My bad.
kinein
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
mnstrdnk wrote:
governator wrote:

He played like 5 games and was cut without an explanation.

Although he was the first ...

1. He didnt actually make much of an impact on the game. Lin is actually GOOD and has a lot of potential to becoming a top player for years to come.

2. It was more than 50+ years ago. The average adult's parents were born in the 50's.

Just some thoughts
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject:

fadeaway3 wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
C M B wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:

analagous. not equivalent.
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject:

bccat wrote:
Pgforlife wrote:
mnstrdnk wrote:
webattorney wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
Lin is a score first PG, which really is not a bad thing. I see ... a bad thing.

I think he's an aggressive point guard that knows how to read the defense as the play develops and becomes a shoot first or pass first depending the situation. Not a lot of guys have that ability. Steve Nash and Chris Paul off the top of my head. Please don't take what I'm saying as Lin is like the other two. That being said given opportunity and trust he may develop into an elite player. He sure has the work ethics to go along with it. That's basically how Nash became who he is. Frankly that's how Kobe became who he is.

This. He's not like Rondo or Rubio who had a weak offensive game in terms of scoring and made their name in passing alone (Rondo has developed his game since his early years, thanks to us, lol). Lin is, imho, a true point meaning he attacks the weakness and makes the right play whether penetrating or with good court vision to develop the play. He can go either way.

Now, will his weaknesses slowly disappear over time (already happening), will his coaches ever have confidence in him and let him play through mistakes like you would a kid drafted in the first round or a more flashier player (probably not), will his game evolve with experience and become potent enough to affect games greatly on a daily basis (depends on the previous)... All I know for certain is that he has potential. He really does. Why people don't see this, I have no idea. But to me, it's there. The kid plays the right way and his fearlessness, speed and court vision on the break is something a team can build around, if given the chance. But then again, people think Michael is better than Magic, so go figure. To each his own, I guess.

+ Good to hear from your PG perspective.

Only thing is Lin will not be given time to grow. There are high expectations on him from his fans and critics already. If he doesn't explode this year with the Lakers, he may not get another chance.

He doesn't need chance anymore.He's proven to be an excellent point guard. He has already proven that he's above average in the NBA. He's got nothing to prove. Just time to get better. With Kobe and Nash, his fearlessness and the right attitude I can see him making huge strides this year.
kinein
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject:

ginia1110 wrote:
Ive looked at the Lakers schedule for Oct-April, is it possible to say that we can get at least 30 wins with our current rooster right now?

The uphill battle would be squeezing out those 20 more wins to qualify into the playoffs. I'd really hate for them not to get in next year.

Jlin has managed to get into playoffs in Knicks & Rox though.

Oh ye of little faith. Leave your doubts by the side of the road and respect the Kobe.

I'll say it now. 50 games.

Its about championships. Thats it.
Quartz888
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject:

Many are underestimating the lakers nowadays. I think Lin will make a difference in this team. I think he's the wild card.

To the fans of others teams, don't be too cocky.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject:

edit- thought was in a different threas ooops
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject:

If Lin plays like an all-star that changes the magnitude of the season.... it gives us a reliable scorer and someone you can count on.....

we need either Lin/Randle/Boozer to play like an consistent all-star if we want to make a playoff run...

I think Lin is gonna play the best basketball of his life in a Lakers uniform.
sammo
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject:

can you all stop talking about jeremy lin and his impact on minority culture? none of that crap matters if lakers have a losing record. im starting to wonder if these minority-pandering fans even watch basketball unless its highlight reel on youtube.

i think realistically speaking, we can expect 42 wins this upcoming season. im expecting lin to put up avg 15pt/6asst, depending on how much nash's body allows him to play.
webattorney
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject:

Although I don't disagree with your assessment per se, his mentality is to look and pass first for an easy shot (as can be seen by his many long passes when he rebounds the ball); and if there is no easy shot, he will try to create something to create a shot for himself or another. The reason I say this is that when you see him in fast breaks where he is running with the ball, he will dish off the ball to a teammate to score, even when he could have scored himself. Now, when you watch Harden on fast breaks when he has the ball, he tends to score himself rather than pass to other teammates running along side of him. This is what I mean when I say Lin likes to get his teammates involved in scoring and doesn't really try to pad his points.

Xtreme wrote:
mnstrdnk wrote:
webattorney wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
Lin is a score first PG, which really is not a bad thing. I see him as an upgrade over Ramon Sessions. Working with Nash, and if B. Scott wants him to setup and dish more, I am sure he will. But having a guy out there who can score and create for himself, when Kobe is not on the floor or possibly even in the lineup, is never a bad thing.

that is so true

tonman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject:

webattorney wrote:
Although I don't disagree with your assessment per se, his mentality is to look and pass first for an easy shot (as can be seen by his many long passes when he rebounds the ball); and if there is no easy shot, he will try to create something to create a shot for himself or another. The reason I say this is that when you see him in fast breaks where he is running with the ball, he will dish off the ball to a teammate to score, even when he could have scored himself. Now, when you watch Harden on fast breaks when he has the ball, he tends to score himself rather than pass to other teammates running along side of him. This is what I mean when I say Lin likes to get his teammates involved in scoring and doesn't really try to pad his points.

to further, the job of the point guard in an aggressive, attacking offense is to push the ball. if his teammates are not running the court, there is no one to pass the ball to. you see the scoring in the halfcourt sets where if there was a PNR or an ISO then he's got to make the choice to shoot or pass but that depends on the play and his teammates.

the problem with the rockets was it was so heavily an ISO team with Harden and Howard that there were little off ball movement. they actually depended on the defense making the move to decide where the ball will go. it will be interesting to see how the rockets do. harden can get to the basketball for his shots but will he make the extra pass when penetrating and will he get the calls again this season.
tomato123
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject:

Rockets would look stupid by sending out an future all-star for nothing.

But this is too much expectation. I am ok if Lin plays solid and helps the team to win. He probably will make a few teammates play like all-star. LOL.

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
If Lin plays like an all-star that changes the magnitude of the season.... it gives us a reliable scorer and someone you can count on.....
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject:

kinein wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:
mnstrdnk wrote:
governator wrote:

He played like 5 games and was cut without an explanation.

Although he was the first ...

1. He didnt actually make much of an impact on the game. Lin is actually GOOD and has a lot of potential to becoming a top player for years to come.

2. It was more than 50+ years ago. The average adult's parents were born in the 50's.

Just some thoughts

Didn't know about Wataru Misaka, thanks for the info. Let me correct my statement: Lin is the second American male of asian descent that made it into the NBA
Proud of both of them
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject:

tomato123 wrote:
Rockets would look stupid by sending out an future all-star for nothing.

But this is too much expectation. I am ok if Lin plays solid and helps the team to win. He probably will make a few teammates play like all-star. LOL.

I think that is what everyone is wondering..... the Rockets should have given the green light about the Bosh situation when they sent Lin to the Lakers.... obviously Bosh and his agent played the Rockets.... Lin could have easily been traded for Eric Gordon or someone of that calibre instead they settled for scraps.....

Everyone seems to think Morey is a good GM but he did a good job potentially making the Rockets miss the playoffs next year.... the Lakers should be happy about the Lin acquisition they got a player who will play like an all-star for years to come.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject:

DJ Slik wrote:
C M B wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:

Lol what type of discrimination did lin face? Some scouts did not pick him because they were underrating asian players? Oh wow that is real similar to jackie robinson who got death threats and booed constantly while playing professionally. There were baseball players who never accepted Jackie Robinson his whole career because of his race. I don't think there are any players who wouldn't accept jeremy lin because of his race. It's disrespectful to Jackie Robinson to even mention lin in the same sentence. I like lin but man lin fans need to know when to stop getting overzealous with this stuff. It's ridiculous.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 193, 194, 195  Next
Page 194 of 195
Jump to: