3) Karl Towns
4) Kristaps Porzingis
5) Mario Hezonja
6) Willie Cauley-Stein
7) Emmanuel Mudiay
8) Stanley Johnson
9) Justise Winslow
10) Kelly Oubre

I like Looney over Oubre - haven't really seen anything from Oubre thus far though I've seen he's been playing better lately, especially on D. Not very familiar with the foreign players either but this looks about right. I've changed my mind on Russell - he looks like a young bigger Steph Curry with his 3pt shooting and floaters in the paint. I still think you take Okafor over Russell because prime Duncan > prime Curry but damn, Russell's 3pt shooting is such a threat that opens up the rest of the floor for his drives and for his teammates.

I have no issue with you preferring Looney over Oubre. As you said, Oubre's only recently started to play well. I think he's "toolsy", and after a certain point I tend to prefer boom-or-bust kind of guys.

Of course you take prime Duncan over prime Curry, but Okafor isn't that. Duncan's one of the great defensive bigs of all time, and Okafor is poor on that end. I'd liken it more to taking a healthy Brandon Roy w/better court vision over Al Jefferson.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Can't Okafor learn defense? He already has half the court at an NBA level.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject:

I'm taking Russell if I get the chance, and I don't look back. As I watch Clarkson continue developing, I can't help but think that Russell would make the perfect counterpart, and I can definitely see a back-court where these two thrive playing with one another.

Russell is a pass-first PG who could definitely score, but more importantly, run your offense getting and putting players in the right position to succeed; a true floor general. Clarkson could play off ball, attack in a variety of different ways with more of a pure PG running the point. And vice-versa and Clarkson continues to improve his play-making abilities.

Add in a Randle, a couple of other pieces, and may have something...
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject:

WCS would have amazing synergy with Randle on O. They'd look like a spitting image of Blake and Deandre - randle throwing lobs to WCS all day. Blake throws Deandre about 2-3 lobs a game at least.
Randle will probly be even better at attacking and drawing the help big, and getting the opportunity for the lob.
I know its BPA all day when u draft top 5 especially, but Randle would make WCS better. This element is why idk if I'd pick WCS or one of the wings if that's what's left to pick from at pick #5
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
WCS would have amazing synergy with Randle on O. They'd look like a spitting image of Blake and Deandre - randle throwing lobs to WCS all day. Blake throws Deandre about 2-3 lobs a game at least.
Randle will probly be even better at attacking and drawing the help big, and getting the opportunity for the lob.
I know its BPA all day when u draft top 5 especially, but Randle would make WCS better. This element is why idk if I'd pick WCS or one of the wings if that's what's left to pick from at pick #5

I like WCS, too. I've said before I have no doubt his defense will translate to the next level...
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
1) D'Angelo Russell
2) Jahlil Okafor
3) Karl Towns
4) Kristaps Porzingis
5) Mario Hezonja
6) Willie Cauley-Stein
7) Emmanuel Mudiay
8) Stanley Johnson
9) Justise Winslow
10) Kelly Oubre

I like Looney over Oubre - haven't really seen anything from Oubre thus far though I've seen he's been playing better lately, especially on D. Not very familiar with the foreign players either but this looks about right. I've changed my mind on Russell - he looks like a young bigger Steph Curry with his 3pt shooting and floaters in the paint. I still think you take Okafor over Russell because prime Duncan > prime Curry but damn, Russell's 3pt shooting is such a threat that opens up the rest of the floor for his drives and for his teammates.

I have no issue with you preferring Looney over Oubre. As you said, Oubre's only recently started to play well. I think he's "toolsy", and after a certain point I tend to prefer boom-or-bust kind of guys.

Of course you take prime Duncan over prime Curry, but Okafor isn't that. Duncan's one of the great defensive bigs of all time, and Okafor is poor on that end. I'd liken it more to taking a healthy Brandon Roy w/better court vision over Al Jefferson.

Like Mike, I don't see why Okafor can't become a better defender. I think his defensive woes are overblown anyhow. I'm a huge Duke fan so I watch Duke basketball the most of any college ball and Okafor has good defense except for when he's isolated on the perimeter having to face up and slide. I'd argue that there are almost no 7 footers that can do that though. Perhaps the Duncan comparison is too much though - Pau Gasol may be a more apt comparison for Jahlil.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

I like WCS, too. I've said before I have no doubt his defense will translate to the next level...

Oh no doubt. His defense at the next level is more of a sure thing than Towns' D. WCS is a better athlete,an ELITE athlete, he's a quicker leaper going for blocks, he's also like 7'1. I def think he's going to be one of the big impact rim protectors in the league.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:02 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Can't Okafor learn defense? He already has half the court at an NBA level.

Sure, but any player could theoretically learn whatever their weakness is. I could perhaps see him becoming a decent positional defender, but he's very floor bound defensively, and does a poor job of contesting. I think getting him to become an average NBA defensive big is going to be a tall order.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Oh no doubt. His defense at the next level is more of a sure thing than Towns' D. WCS is a better athlete,an ELITE athlete, he's a quicker leaper going for blocks, he's also like 7'1. I def think he's going to be one of the big impact rim protectors in the league.

Totally agree with all this.

Like KIROE said, always go BPA - but, (potentially) a perfect fit is a perfect fit... would it be worth it to trade down to get him??

Probably not for the 1 or 2 pick, but maybe 3-5?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject:

Question:

Which is more "repairable," WCS's offensive game or Okafor's defensive game in the NBA?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Question:

Which is more "repairable," WCS's offensive game or Okafor's defensive game in the NBA?

Defense.

WCS has had a few years in Kentucky. There's no outstanding polish to his offensive game yet.

It's not like Okafor lacks defensive tools.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Question:

Okafor's defense. Although guys who can finish around the bucket and above the rim at a high rate do have offensive value.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Question:

Defense.

WCS has had a few years in Kentucky. There's no outstanding polish to his offensive game yet.

Yeah. I don't expect Okafor to be a defensive stopper, but his huge measureables, NBA training/conditioning/diet, should help him. His offensive game is beautiful.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Question:

Defense.

Yeah. I don't expect Okafor to be a defensive stopper, but his huge measureables, NBA training/conditioning/diet, should help him. His offensive game is beautiful.

Let's split the difference between Okafor and WCS and take Towns lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Question:

Defense.

I approve of this message..
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Question:

Defense.

LOL, there's actually a lot of truth in this.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject:

How is Towns' low post game?

Someone compared him to a turbo charged Channing Frye here?
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject:

I haven't seen a lot of Townes, but does he remind anyone else of a "7-foot Brian Cook"??
Or is that way off the mark?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
I haven't seen a lot of Townes, but does he remind anyone else of a "7-foot Brian Cook"??

I haven't seen enough, but he plays much better defense.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject:

B_P wrote:

He's not a great leaper, and can shoot a bit. That's where the Cook comparisons end. He's blocking 2.5 shots per game in just 19.3mpg, and is getting 6.3 rpg in the same time, while sharing those boards with a glut of other bigs.

7'3.5" wingspan.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
How is Towns' low post game?

Someone compared him to a turbo charged Channing Frye here?

I don't think that's a terrible comparison, although he's not as soft as Frye.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject:

I really think towns projects as a 4 in the NBA. I love him as a prospect but I'm not sure he will ever have the base to play center. If a team thinks he can develop the lower body strength to battle inside he should be taken #1 overall because of his versatility and ability to effect both sides of the ball. However, I don't think he will ever be a number 1 option. More like a solid piece, a glue guy, a team player, a winner.

Russell and Okafor are the only two players in this draft that I really want. Everyone else Is a complimentary piece.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Towns is a 5 PnP, he's just young. He'll develop that lower base strength
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Towns is a 5 PnP, he's just young. He'll develop that lower base strength

If he really does I wouldn't mind taking him with out first pick. I'm watching the Norte dame vs duke game right now and I can see why a few people on here are so high on grant. He's a gamer
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Mu can see grant falling to the second round similar to how Clarkson fell. If so he's a steal
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 12 of 36
Jump to: