*OFFICIAL* 2015 NBA Draft Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject:

DX released a scouting vid on Mudiay.

For me, it was tough to watch.

Personal opinion, Dante Exum, Marcus Smart, Elfrid Payton are all better PGs.

Mudiay just has the size of a SG. Good first step. Good 2nd gear. Not an explosive finisher. Weaker jumpshot than Smart. Poor hoop IQ as a PG with decision-making.

Just a volume shot-creator.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject:

I haven't seen any impressive clips of mudiay to be honest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Mudiay just has the size of a SG. Good first step. Good 2nd gear. Not an explosive finisher. Weaker jumpshot than Smart. Poor hoop IQ as a PG with decision-making.

looks like John Wall
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

looks like John Wall

Wall was quicker, faster, more explosive, better passer, better jumpshot, more creative finisher, better ball thief.

At the same age.

Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

looks like John Wall
Mudiay does remind me of Wall, looks like a better prospect then every PG in the last draft. Would have went 2nd or 3rd in last years draft.
legend825
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject:

He doesn't have to be exactly like Wall to be successful. We just need him to develop his game to a level that's productive and helps the team.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Okafor doesn't look as dominant as I expected him to be. Even randle came out the gate dominant and forced teams to triple
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

looks like John Wall
Mudiay does remind me of Wall, looks like a better prospect then every PG in the last draft. Would have went 2nd or 3rd in last years draft.

Totally disagree.

If we're talking big point guards, Exum is quicker, faster, better ball-handler, better decision maker, with a better jumpshot. It's arguable that he's more explosive around the hoop.

I see Mudiay's highlights and seem him barrel into the paint, average explosiveness, long arms, and a soft touch around the hoop. He can create shots, but has issues with his jumpshot and isn't playing elite enough competition to refine his skill level. He is quick with his first step and in transition, but I think Exum has an extra gear. Guys like Wall, Parker, and Rose, have another gear after that.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
http://youtu.be/yUG7OKrzDmg

Okafor doesn't look as dominant as I expected him to be. Even randle came out the gate dominant and forced teams to triple

Not immediately.

This is the first time Okafor has to adjust to bigger guys on the floor.

Wait until he adjusts.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject:

So we're clear of what freshman John Wall looked like.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

that speed and quickness on the steal & dunk at 00:46
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

that speed and quickness on the steal & dunk at 00:46

Exactly. That's why I don't think Mudiay is that great of a prospect.

Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

looks like John Wall

Totally disagree.

If we're talking big point guards, Exum is quicker, faster, better ball-handler, better decision maker, with a better jumpshot. It's arguable that he's more explosive around the hoop.

I see Mudiay's highlights and seem him barrel into the paint, average explosiveness, long arms, and a soft touch around the hoop. He can create shots, but has issues with his jumpshot and isn't playing elite enough competition to refine his skill level. He is quick with his first step and in transition, but I think Exum has an extra gear. Guys like Wall, Parker, and Rose, have another gear after that.

Your description makes him sound like Tyreke Evans/Tony Wroten, is that far off?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

looks like John Wall

Totally disagree.

Your description makes him sound like Tyreke Evans/Tony Wroten, is that far off?

More Evans than Wroten..

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ8xXKmvsyU One of the most intriguing talents I'm looking forward to seeing this season is Malik Pope. Missed his senior year of HS with a broken leg. Has grown to 6'10.

wow, thanks for introducing me to him. just might be my favorite wing prospect. skill off the dribble + 6'10, that's my fav type of wing. and im not too high on the other wings in this class.

The scary thing is he is only like 15 years old in that video.

Sounds like the leg is still an issue.
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ8xXKmvsyU One of the most intriguing talents I'm looking forward to seeing this season is Malik Pope. Missed his senior year of HS with a broken leg. Has grown to 6'10.

wow, thanks for introducing me to him. just might be my favorite wing prospect. skill off the dribble + 6'10, that's my fav type of wing. and im not too high on the other wings in this class.

The scary thing is he is only like 15 years old in that video.

Sounds like the leg is still an issue.

They're being cautious with him. He's been killing it in pick ups. He will play this season.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUtnziNbKlk
mudiay's 2nd highlights from china

I don't find it impressive at all. It looks like a scrimmage with high school kids.

Isn't there a limit to how much PT a professional player gets on the floor in Chinese basketball?

It certainly isn't pushing or advancing his skill level. He's just getting away with things.

those guys are much better than today's highschool competition. but at the same time, Marbury and Yi drop 30 a game over there.

Here's a list of imported players 32 years old and under with NBA level experience who are currently in the Chinese Basketball Association on opposing teams to Mudiay:

Hamed Haddadi
Ike Diogu
Byron Mullens
Michael Beasley
Andray Blatche
Bobby Brown
Jordan Crawford
Quincy Douby
Toney Douglas
Jamaal Franklin
Donte Greene
Josh Harrelson
Lester Hudson
Pooh Jeter
Dominique Jones
Solomon Jones
Acie Law
Daniel Orton
Chris Singleton
Jeremy Tyler
Von Wafer
Hakim Warrick
Willie Warren
Delonte West
Shelden Williams

Comparisons of the talent level to high school basketball are way off.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

I don't find it impressive at all. It looks like a scrimmage with high school kids.

Isn't there a limit to how much PT a professional player gets on the floor in Chinese basketball?

It certainly isn't pushing or advancing his skill level. He's just getting away with things.

those guys are much better than today's highschool competition. but at the same time, Marbury and Yi drop 30 a game over there.

Here's a list of imported players 32 years old and under with NBA level experience who are currently in the Chinese Basketball Association on opposing teams to Mudiay:

Hamed Haddadi
Ike Diogu
Byron Mullens
Michael Beasley
Andray Blatche
Bobby Brown
Jordan Crawford
Quincy Douby
Toney Douglas
Jamaal Franklin
Donte Greene
Josh Harrelson
Lester Hudson
Pooh Jeter
Dominique Jones
Solomon Jones
Acie Law
Daniel Orton
Chris Singleton
Jeremy Tyler
Von Wafer
Hakim Warrick
Willie Warren
Delonte West
Shelden Williams

Teams are allowed up to 2 foreign-born players on the roster, or 3 if they finished with a bottom-5 record last season. The only exception to this rule is the Bayi Rockets team, who are affiliated with the Chinese military and do not have any foreign players. Rare, though, is the team that does not rely on American players as their #1 option on offense
Read more at http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2014/01/04/your-2014-guide-to-the-chinese-basketball-association/#LCEpkFRR7HTF57KT.99

There is a VERY interesting rule, which is: the foreign players on a roster cannot play more than 6 combined quarters in a given game.
Read more at http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2014/01/04/your-2014-guide-to-the-chinese-basketball-association/#LCEpkFRR7HTF57KT.99

So, basically, Mudiay cannot play against consistent, borderline NBA talent. And if he can, it's only two players.
Quote:

Scorers’ league

To say that the CBA is a score-first, defense-second league would be an understatement. Owners, fans and coaches value one thing from American players – the ability to put the ball in the basket. In a freewheeling league that aims to please and puts minimal emphasis on defense, you’ll often see 1-on-5 or 2-on-5 play. As a result, many American players have been able to carve out strong identities in China as the go-to guys on their team.

Now, Mudiay can't sharpen his skills.

High school level defense.

PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Hamed Haddadi
Ike Diogu
Byron Mullens
Michael Beasley
Andray Blatche
Bobby Brown
Jordan Crawford
Quincy Douby
Toney Douglas
Jamaal Franklin
Donte Greene
Josh Harrelson
Lester Hudson
Pooh Jeter
Dominique Jones
Solomon Jones
Acie Law
Daniel Orton
Chris Singleton
Jeremy Tyler
Von Wafer
Hakim Warrick
Willie Warren
Delonte West
Shelden Williams

Teams are allowed up to 2 foreign-born players on the roster, or 3 if they finished with a bottom-5 record last season. The only exception to this rule is the Bayi Rockets team, who are affiliated with the Chinese military and do not have any foreign players. Rare, though, is the team that does not rely on American players as their #1 option on offense

There is a VERY interesting rule, which is: the foreign players on a roster cannot play more than 6 combined quarters in a given game.

So, basically, Mudiay cannot play against consistent, borderline NBA talent. And if he can, it's only two players.
Quote:

Scorers’ league

To say that the CBA is a score-first, defense-second league would be an understatement. Owners, fans and coaches value one thing from American players – the ability to put the ball in the basket. In a freewheeling league that aims to please and puts minimal emphasis on defense, you’ll often see 1-on-5 or 2-on-5 play. As a result, many American players have been able to carve out strong identities in China as the go-to guys on their team.

Ive been watching full game footage of mudiay In China and high school and I have to admit I am kind of dissapoited. He's not going In the top 3 but if the lakers get a top 5 pick id take him. He can barely get past defenders in China and he can't finish at the rim. Looks like okafor or towns in this draft. I'm still high on tyus jones though.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Hamed Haddadi
Ike Diogu
Byron Mullens
Michael Beasley
Andray Blatche
Bobby Brown
Jordan Crawford
Quincy Douby
Toney Douglas
Jamaal Franklin
Donte Greene
Josh Harrelson
Lester Hudson
Pooh Jeter
Dominique Jones
Solomon Jones
Acie Law
Daniel Orton
Chris Singleton
Jeremy Tyler
Von Wafer
Hakim Warrick
Willie Warren
Delonte West
Shelden Williams

Quote:

Scorers’ league

Interesting. Thanks for the links. I agree that it would have been better if he'd stayed at SMU (assuming he'd be eligible) or gone to Europe. But to say the talent level in the CBA is the same as a high school scrimmage is false.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
But to say the talent level in the CBA is the same as a high school scrimmage is false.

Still disagree. It's easy to focus on the NBA talent.

Not so much with the actual CBA talent.

Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject:

I guess Caris Levert had a great game yesterday.

I really don't think Mudiay will be the guy for us if we have our pick. There will be someone else more worthy of taking a risk on.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:

Mike, I know you're not big on Stanley Johnson, and I'd tend to agree with you that he's probably not a no.1 player by any stretch, but if he can develop into an Artest type (great D player, good enough to be a no.3 on offense,) is that really that bad of a get, even at the top of a draft?
lkjhf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject:

winslow or johnson...who has bigger hands? #bighandscrew2015 #dontfugthisupmitch

edit: kevon looney's rebounding lookin good. kidna awk looking body type but he seems like a unique player

also seems like every year there is a d-wade comp in the draft but nobody has the physical tools of wade at his size at marquette. closest is probably norman powell this year since he has the giant hands and athleticism as a guard but he is much more limited offensively than wade at marquette. good defender tho
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
I guess Caris Levert had a great game yesterday.

I really don't think Mudiay will be the guy for us if we have our pick. There will be someone else more worthy of taking a risk on.

I would have the two bigs ahead of him and probably Justise Winslow as well.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 4 of 36
Jump to: