OFFICIAL 2015 Team Tank thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 891, 892, 893  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dwarf Nebula
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
Last year was a perfect year to tank with all the injuries. They failed.

You think kobe, lin, booz, and nash would accept tanking?

Even if they suck, theyll be good enough to mess up any tank

Last year management set it up to make tanking the only hope/option. They brought in players who put fans in a lose-lose situation. If the players played well, we wouldn't be able to resign them (see Meeks). If they sucked, we wouldn't want them anyway. Fans knew that every W screwed us in the long run. This year is totally different. We get to root for players who, if they play well, will be on the roster the following year. I'm hoping that Lin turns into an all star, Randle into an eventual superstar, and Clarkson a solid guard. That's where the fan focus should be now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
This thread in July makes me sick to my stomach. Rooting to lose because you dont like the roster, before a single game has even been played....you all should really think hard about what loyalty to a team means. Are you a fan of the Lakers, or a fan of your own fantasy nba2k team. Seriously grow the (bleep) up.

You should know you are in a minority now btw, the bandwagon Lin fans will give you all hell, because Lin is a winner and so they are Lakers fans and anti tank.....pretty bad when a bandwagon Lin thread has better lakers fans than your thread.

Let that sink in.

I fully plan on rooting for the team to win as many games as possible (even if that means getting the 8 seed and getting bounced in the 1st round) until it is extremely apparent that we are awful and have no shot at the playoffs. At that point, I will join the tank
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject:

When fans say TANK, I'm assuming they want a top 3 pick. Do fans realize how HARD it is to be that bad?

2013: Bottom 3 teams won: 15, 19, 23
2012: Bottom 3 teams won: 20, 21, 24
2011: Bottom 3 teams won: 7, 20, 21

The 2 lowest records the Lakers have had since Kobe's been on the Lakers: 27 and 34. And that's when Kobe missed significant games with injuries.

I have nothing against Team Tank. It's your opinion to think that's the best way to go. But I just think it's not realistic. Unless

1. You believe Kobe won't be any good and/or he will miss games
2. You're not looking for just the top 3, you just want to be in the lottery in hopes of getting a top 3, like the Cavs this year

Either way, I think TT will be disappointed this year. And that's good for all fans in the end.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject:

I was on tank team last yr but even i think its pathetic to have a tank thread before camp/preseason
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject:

Boozer just plugged up a huge hole for us. He may not be a rim protector, but does box out well and takes up space. Takes pressure off Hill and Randle.

Boozer's offense suffered playing in the Bulls' starting lineup, with Hinrich, Butler, Dunleavy, and Noah. Lin and Kobe are better at creating than Hinrich and Butler. With Rose and even Nate Robinson the year before, Boozer was more efficient.

Lakers look primed for a run at #8 if Kobe can play like he did in 2011. Doesn't even have to be 2013 good anymore.

Mitch made me ditch my tank.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Boozer just plugged up a huge hole for us. He may not be a rim protector, but does box out well and takes up space. Takes pressure off Hill and Randle.

Boozer's offense suffered playing in the Bulls' starting lineup, with Hinrich, Butler, Dunleavy, and Noah. Lin and Kobe are better at creating than Hinrich and Butler. With Rose and even Nate Robinson the year before, Boozer was more efficient.

Lakers look primed for a run at #8 if Kobe can play like he did in 2011. Doesn't even have to be 2013 good anymore.

Mitch made me ditch my tank.

Same here
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject:

Last 2 posters, Team Win is accepting applicants if you're leaving Team Tank.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject:

In the Bizarro World that is the Lakers' Offseason, they just went on a run of really good signings from Ed Davis to bringing back Xavier and Wes for nothing. Such signings are not great for the tank, but considering Wes's inconsistency and Xavier's inability to stay on the court, shouldn't add too many wins to the bottom line.

The Boozer signing, however, and plans to start him at center (LOOOOOL) is great news for the tank.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
In the Bizarro World that is the Lakers' Offseason, they just went on a run of really good signings from Ed Davis to bringing back Xavier and Wes for nothing. Such signings are not great for the tank, but considering Wes's inconsistency and Xavier's inability to stay on the court, shouldn't add too many wins to the bottom line.

The Boozer signing, however, and plans to start him at center (LOOOOOL) is great news for the tank.

Are there other sources besides that idiot Ireland who mentioned playing booze at center?
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Are there other sources besides that idiot Ireland who mentioned playing booze at center?

Not that I've seen, but does Ireland report anything that doesn't come from the FO?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
epak wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Not that I've seen, but does Ireland report anything that doesn't come from the FO?

Yes. Do you listen to his show? Haha. If you have then that's an obvious yes.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject:

^^That said, Boozer makes about as much sense as anyone else. I don't see them starting Ed Davis or Jordan Hill (EVEN THOUGH HE'S MAKING AS MUCH MONEY AS MILSAP AND DIRK NOWITSKI) at that position.

But holy hell. A Kobe-Lin-Young frontline with Boozer, Boozer protecting the rim?

What's the over/under on opponents held to less than 100 points? 1? Would Vegas even put that on the board?
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
When fans say TANK, I'm assuming they want a top 3 pick. Do fans realize how HARD it is to be that bad?

The 2 lowest records the Lakers have had since Kobe's been on the Lakers: 27 and 34. And that's when Kobe missed significant games with injuries.

I expect this team to lower that record.

Quote:

You believe Kobe won't be any good and/or he will miss games

I expect Kobe will be less good, that he personally will miss Gasol's effect on the court, and that he will miss games.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
epak wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

I don't think the FO will coach this team
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
epak wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

I don't think the FO will coach this team

They might make it a condition on hiring Byron when they bring him in for his 5th interview.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Good news for tankers: Might not have to tank to get that top 5 pick next season.
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-lottery-reform-is-coming/

If this is ratified, tanking will no longer improve a team's chances of a top 6 pick as much as it does now. The proposal is virtually tank-proof. The four worst teams only have a 9% better chance at the top pick than the teams who barely missed the playoffs.

With five chances to keep our pick our odds of keeping the pick also increase.

Even with a .500 season and the 13th-14th worst record, we'd have a one in eight chance of keeping the pick(slots 1-5), otherwise the 13th-14th pick goes to Phoenix. Not as costly as a top 8 pick going to a division rival.

Of course, this still has to be voted on.
magicdays
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject:

Last year, the FO surrounded Kobe and Pau with a bunch of dleague scrubs. This year, they surround Kobe with a bunch of dleague scrubs, back up players, and an over-the-hill vet. FO is hoping once again for miracle.

Only redeeming feature is they are doing it on the cheap.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject:

socaguy wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:
The existential balance arises again: How to tank with honor, without looking like you're tanking without any sense of shame...

I'd ask the Cav or 76ers FO that.

The Cavs didn't tank, they were just run by idiots, and it only took them 3 #1's (kind of a pity that 2012 was the only true super duper star right?), 2 #4's and Lebron James to make them competitive.

The cavs though are a good example of why the argument tanking doesn't work is bad, getting the #1 pick won't help you if you're run by idiots, because you'll just do stupid things with and around that pick, but give it to a good organisation and then.....

The 76ers, well, umm, yeah...
jlinfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject:

Hate the idea of tanking.

I'm not an all or nothing type of guy (championship or bust). I would much rather have an entertaining product than watching a team get beaten over and over again.

Being a pragmatic person I realize there are 30 teams and only one winner. I don't know what the statistics are, but I would guess "tankers" are not much more successful at winning the championship than normal.

Being LA you guys know there is more than one way to skin a cat. Why not build a competitive team and than land top FA using LA as the selling point? So it hasn't worked last few years, but doesn't mean it won't work next year and beyond.

Anti-tank !!!
divncom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject:

The decision on whether to take the tanking perspective or not isn't really a matter of choice.

It's sort of like those developmental psychology experiments they (still) do where they'd sit a kid in front of a piece of candy and tell them they could have that piece of candy now, or two if they withhold their impulsive reptilian brained desires briefly.

The kids who hold/held off on immediate gratification grow into adults who succeed in life ... the candy grabbers live day to day, have no sense of investment or the long term picture and are always poor and angry.

Tanking is the logical thing to do - I was crestfallen when we won those last couple games this season but in my opinion Randle is just as good if not better than the kids in the spots just before him... so in my eyes we got a top 5 pick, and maybe even a #1 in other drafts.

It might be all moot, though. I think Silver is serious about busting the illogical tank fest up. Watching Milwaukee battle Utah at the end of the season in a tactical battle to lose in front of 1,000 fans who came in on free tickets can't be good for image purposes.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:

I have nothing against Team Tank. It's your opinion to think that's the best way to go. But I just think it's not realistic. Unless

2. You're not looking for just the top 3, you just want to be in the lottery in hopes of getting a top 3, like the Cavs this year

Either way, I think TT will be disappointed this year. And that's good for all fans in the end.

Just has to be a top 5 pick.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject:

Howard beck sounds like a guy who lives in a trailer house.
Black Salt
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject:

If you want to get rid of tanking, get rid of the lottery and lesson the games. World has changed. We do not need a 6 month regular season. And get rid of the first round of the playoffs. 2 months of playoffs is a joke.

It will never happen but its getting really silly with almost two decades of below .500 teams making it into the playoffs in the east. I do not believe in having one pool of playoff seedings, otherwise, whats the point of west and east.

More than half the teams making the playoffs in a league is stupid.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject:

tony smith wrote:
ocsj2000 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
13thOverallPick wrote:
rockyp wrote:
Quote:
HowardBeck: Source strongly suggested a few days ago that LAL planned to tank, to avoid sending pick to Phx. Not sure if Boozer claim proves/disproves

https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/status/489882576442511360

https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/status/489881732917633024

Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
epak wrote:

Just has to be a top 5 pick.

Getting a top 5 pick is ridiculously hard also. Our team was worst last year and we still couldn't do it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 891, 892, 893  Next
Page 16 of 893
Jump to: