Props to the Front Office!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Props to the Front Office!

I just wanted to give a shout out to the FO. Jimmy, Mitch and co. are getting slammed for really no reason. First of all, Mitch is the best GM in the game and I will leave it at that. He has struck out (who doesn't), but not for lack of trying. He has gotten other teams garbage and turned them into decent, serviceable players. The first quarter of last season, we were actually playing good (considering all the obstacles (No KB, poor coach, etc.) until things got derailed.

As far as Melo, we NEVER had a shot ( I am glad, because he is not worth 24 million). Jim may be a boob, but he is smart enough to surround himslf with talent to make up for his deficiencies. He has the best GM. In the recruiting of Melo he went Hollywood (Silver) and business (Harris) which was a stroke of genius. Today's players want money and fame and could care less about the history of the Lakers or any other team. It was a stroke of genius by the FO.

Mitch is doing a great job. We improved out pg position big time, got a couple of picks (and will probably get another with the S & T of Pau). He did this without jeopardizing our future financial flexibility. He knows (as we all should) that this most likely will not even be fixed next year. He may grab more picks at the trading deadline for our ending contracts and eat some more bad contracts. He is positioning himself to be ready to pounce in a couple of years. I think he is more focused on fixing this for 16/17. Hopefully, we hit on a few FA's, and a healthy KB resigns for the cheap (I still think he will be playing and chasing Kareem). The following year, the players will scap that CBA (either side can opt out). All those little minion owners who tried to stick it to the Lakers (but did not mind cashing checks courtesy of the Lakers) will get paid back. The slight disadvantage that we are currently faced (predominately tax consequences and no young studs on the team) with in regards to signing FA's will most likely change after the next CBA. We will be in the drivers seat again and FA's will beg to play for us.

Last edited by RI Laker on Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject:

Let's make this a positive only thread, since p&m exists
philipm35
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject:

Is there such a thing on LG?
LakerPhreak91
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject:

I don't think many on here remember the sedale threatt days, we'll be just fine. We are the Lakers!
Romano338
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject:

Exactly what I was saying ealier. 12 months ago, fans couldn't stand the idea of not making the playoffs. Now they are happy with a team tanking to TRY to HOPEFULLY have a free age t next, or maybe even in 2 years.
Lakers went from greatness to sucking big time in a year. We're no better than the Cavs and sixers we laughed so much at.
And it's not the sucking part that make me sad, it's the fact that fans accept it and think it's very good.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject:

Mitch is FAR from the best GM and Jimmy / Jeannie fiasco continues to get worst. They had a chance to reset the deck after the failed Howard/Nash experiment and instead signed Kobe for nearly double his actual market value. They just gave Jordan Hill 9mil as a friggin backup. They intentionally threw away last year and have just done it again. Next year is already in the tank and they don't even have their own draft pick to justify it.

So in giving props to the FO are you going to pay what is I believe the 2nd highest ticket prices to see next years team when we all know the TW deal is bringing in mega bucks and they are going to again suck.

Yep props to the bungling FO.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject:

LakerPhreak91 wrote:
I don't think many on here remember the sedale threatt days, we'll be just fine. We are the Lakers!

yes we will be fine, but it's gonna be a long time till we are lol, we don't have any up and coming stars or pieces worth trading, and free agents keep passing on us.
chrisca91
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject:

Not gonna say anything since I don't agree with a word you said.. I'll just take it to the P&M thread.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject:

LakerPhreak91 wrote:
Pig miller... anthony peeler before and after the injury.

I was there. i remember. and i'm just fine today. not worried at all.
the only thing i'm worried about (like i said in that thread i posted). is the manner in which this new generation of ball players think. if they are to afraid to play for a storied franchise with super historical players. because they dont want that pressure. and/or if they only want to join an already pre-built juggernuat team. well i cant blame the FO for that. That tells me No FO in the nba is doing anything but freeing up space and being super sorry for years praying for a few great picks that you pay rookie salaries to. which then means you still have cap space for more stars. Thats not willing and dealing making the right trades, etc to get who you want and then maybe signing that one great player. thats players banning together and saying Lets go here, o lets go there. see its fine when you're an old vet with no ring(karl malone, Gp, barkley with drexler in houston, ray ray pierce and kg). but once you saw lbj, bosh, wade. now you hear melo basically looking for an easy ticket back east or the big super payday. i cant fault the fo for this type of stuff. there's not much you can do anymore. if this is the "NEW" nba. Shaq didnt come here because we had a ready made team. he came here to put his stamp on the nba in on the best franchise in the nba. he also came here because of the lakers track record. not recent track record. because we didnt see a ring for awhile before shaq got here. Kobe didnt force his way to the lakers like everyone knows he did in the draft, because we were championship ready. its because he believed in the history and what the lakers were about "winning" he wasnt just trying to get a free ride to a ring.

thats all i see now. super payday from home team..choice 1
or free ride to a ring with the buddy system in free agency ....choice 2

Props to the FO for not folding and actually pitching the truth. we are by far the best franchise in the nba hands down. and the reason is we will always do what we have to do, in order to put together a great team around the stars we acquire. if you're a star and you dont believe that. shame on you for not knowing your history. go else where and you better buddy up with 2 more stars in the Leastern conf, or else you will be sitting around ringless anyway.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
LakerPhreak91 wrote:

yes we will be fine, but it's gonna be a long time till we are lol, we don't have any up and coming stars or pieces worth trading, and free agents keep passing on us.
free agents dont keep passing on us.

we only went after one free agent. melo
lbj was a pipe dream

gasol was a 2nd option last resort after we tried to trade him numerous times. gasol knows he cant get a no trade clause with us. so he knows the moment durant says trade for me. gasol is outta here. so i aint mad at gasol for seeing the writing on his for head, let alone the wall.lol

most of the FA's stayed home for their big home team payday. thats the new cba kicking in. not someone passing up on us.

other 2nd tier fa's were trying to get more then our FO are willing to pay and more years then we are willing to give.
we are not trying to be stuck with a so so team forever like most teams are. NO...THANKS.

and the fact out FO is doing that. it shows me the buss family + mitch still know how to build a championship team. the formula is still intact.

like i said above. the Formula for a GM is not buddies getting together to form a big 3. thats not a FO plan. thats a players plan. thats not on any front office. thats on the players.
Retired Number
Retired Number

This is from an LA Times article in April. We need to give Jim, Jeanie and the Buss family the benefit of the doubt for now.

Quote:
So Jeanie Buss posed an elementary question to her siblings: What was going on with the Lakers?

Her older brother Jim Buss, 54, in charge of the Lakers' basketball operations, spoke up in the boardroom of the team's El Segundo training facility and pledged to resign in a few years if the suddenly dark fortunes of the franchise weren't reversed.

"I was laying myself on the line by saying, if this doesn't work in three to four years, if we're not back on the top — and the definition of top means contending for the Western Conference, contending for a championship — then I will step down because that means I have failed," he told The Times about the meeting. "I don't know if you can fire yourself if you own the team … but what I would say is I'd walk away and you guys figure out who's going to run basketball operations because I obviously couldn't do the job.

"There's no question in my mind we will accomplish success. I'm not worried about putting myself on the line."

LA Times
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

Romano338 wrote:
Exactly what I was saying ealier. 12 months ago, fans couldn't stand the idea of not making the playoffs. Now they are happy with a team tanking to TRY to HOPEFULLY have a free age t next, or maybe even in 2 years.
Lakers went from greatness to sucking big time in a year. We're no better than the Cavs and sixers we laughed so much at.
And it's not the sucking part that make me sad, it's the fact that fans accept it and think it's very good.
wrong thread.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

cthroatgtr wrote:
Mitch is FAR from the best GM and Jimmy / Jeannie fiasco continues to get worst. They had a chance to reset the deck after the failed Howard/Nash experiment and instead signed Kobe for nearly double his actual market value. They just gave Jordan Hill 9mil as a friggin backup. They intentionally threw away last year and have just done it again. Next year is already in the tank and they don't even have their own draft pick to justify it.

So in giving props to the FO are you going to pay what is I believe the 2nd highest ticket prices to see next years team when we all know the TW deal is bringing in mega bucks and they are going to again suck.

Yep props to the bungling FO.
wrong thread
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Let's make this a positive only thread, since p&m exists

Well that didn't last long.

Read the last few posts

...The swift and deliberate way that Mitch moved yesterday shows me that there is more going on than meets the eye. I'm kind of intrigued by it actually. I'm not one of those guys mad at the FO even though they did everything they could to lure Melo and LeBron.

The silver-lining for me is that rival GMs and Owners now see Dan Gilbert's true colors and that his vendetta against us during the last CBA negotiations and subsequent veto of CP3 wasn't about competitive balance but just him being a little hater that would hoard talent if he was in position to do so too.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject:

Romano338 wrote:

It's not good or bad; it just is. That's just how sports in general works. As long as the front office puts out a product on the floor that has some entertainment value, then that should be acceptable for fans. Now, if "entertainment value" for you translates to "championship or bust" because somehow you derive personal satisfaction and achievement from the team's success, then you're going to have problems. If that's indeed the case, then you're probably better off sparing yourself the grief of the downs of the journey and cheering for whatever team happens to be winning at the moment.
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
LakerPhreak91 wrote:

the only thing i'm worried about (like i said in that thread i posted). is the manner in which this new generation of ball players think. if they are to afraid to play for a storied franchise with super historical players. because they dont want that pressure. and/or if they only want to join an already pre-built juggernuat team. well i cant blame the FO for that. That tells me No FO in the nba is doing anything but freeing up space and being super sorry for years praying for a few great picks that you pay rookie salaries to. which then means you still have cap space for more stars. Thats not willing and dealing making the right trades, etc to get who you want and then maybe signing that one great player. thats players banning together and saying Lets go here, o lets go there. see its fine when you're an old vet with no ring(karl malone, Gp, barkley with drexler in houston, ray ray pierce and kg). but once you saw lbj, bosh, wade. now you hear melo basically looking for an easy ticket back east or the big super payday. i cant fault the fo for this type of stuff. there's not much you can do anymore. if this is the "NEW" nba. Shaq didnt come here because we had a ready made team. he came here to put his stamp on the nba in on the best franchise in the nba. he also came here because of the lakers track record. not recent track record. because we didnt see a ring for awhile before shaq got here. Kobe didnt force his way to the lakers like everyone knows he did in the draft, because we were championship ready. its because he believed in the history and what the lakers were about "winning" he wasnt just trying to get a free ride to a ring.

Props to the FO for not folding and actually pitching the truth. we are by far the best franchise in the nba hands down. and the reason is we will always do what we have to do, in order to put together a great team around the stars we acquire. if you're a star and you dont believe that. shame on you for not knowing your history. go else where and you better buddy up with 2 more stars in the Leastern conf, or else you will be sitting around ringless anyway.

I think it's natural. history and legacy judges you more favorably if you are able to win at a place that does not have a tradition of winning or needs rescuing, while winning with the lakers just make you another in a long list of greats.

If I'm a superstar that cared a lot about prestige and legacy. Then trying and bringing a championship to a place like Knicks would cement my place and cultivate something unique.

lakers need to be bad for a few years before it becomes attractive to free agent superstars again.
BROW GOAT 23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Props to the Front Office!

RI Laker wrote:
I just wanted to give a shout out to the FO. Jimmy, Mitch and co. are getting slammed for really no reason. First of all, Mitch is the best GM in the game and I will leave it at that. He has struck out (who doesn't), but not for lack of trying. He has gotten other teams garbage and turned them into decent, serviceable players. The first quarter of last season, we were actually playing good (considering all the obstacles (No KB, poor coach, etc.) until things got derailed.

As far as Melo, we NEVER had a shot ( I am glad, because he is not worth 24 million). Jim may be a boob, but he is smart enough to surround himslf with talent to make up for his deficiencies. He has the best GM. In the recruiting of Melo he went Hollywood (Silver) and business (Harris) which was a stroke of genius. Today's players want money and fame and could care less about the history of the Lakers or any other team. It was a stroke of genius by the FO.

Mitch is doing a great job. We improved out pg position big time, got a couple of picks (and will probably get another with the S & T of Pau). He did this without jeopardizing our future financial flexibility. He knows (as we all should) that this most likely will not even be fixed next year. He may grab more picks at the trading deadline for our ending contracts and eat some more bad contracts. He is positioning himself to be ready to pounce in a couple of years. I think he is more focused on fixing this for 16/17. Hopefully, we hit on a few FA's, and a healthy KB resigns for the cheap (I still think he will be playing and chasing Kareem). The following year, the players will scap that CBA (either side can opt out). All those little minion owners who tried to stick it to the Lakers (but did not mind cashing checks courtesy of the Lakers) will get paid back. The slight disadvantage that we are currently faced (predominately tax consequences and no young studs on the team) with in regards to signing FA's will most likely change after the next CBA. We will be in the drivers seat again and FA's will beg to play for us.

Agree 100%
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject:

Some "fans" have s lot of tribute keeping things in perspective.

Winning is difficult. Very difficult.

The FO I'd making good moves right now; avoiding some of the mistakes that bad GMs make when they panic. They are not trying themselves up to long term contracts in hopes that they will pan out. They are being methodical and smart.

I wish all fans could stop whining and complaining long enough to realize that the wick fix isn't always the best fix.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject:

kobetimeeverytime wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
LakerPhreak91 wrote:

I think it's natural. history and legacy judges you more favorably if you are able to win at a place that does not have a tradition of winning or needs rescuing, while winning with the lakers just make you another in a long list of greats.

If I'm a superstar that cared a lot about prestige and legacy. Then trying and bringing a championship to a place like Knicks would cement my place and cultivate something unique.

lakers need to be bad for a few years before it becomes attractive to free agent superstars again.
thats a nice way to spin it. these dudes are afraid of the pressure.

i'll give you a simple analogy. something myself and my boss were talking about the other day.

we just inherited a bunch of crap from another team we have to fix. thats the bad side of it. the good side is. its going to be easier for us to look like superstars once we clean up the crap.

it will always be easier to look good when you clean up the bad. but its much harder to maintain and actually make the good look even better.

This is why these guys are afraid of the lakers. like you said the lakers will have to suck for awhile so they can feel like the pressure is gone. pressure busts pipes. lol. and non of these new era guys i've seen can take the pressure. Kd has folded before, harden chokes under it, lebron has folded under it a lot of times, we just saw the entire pacer team fold under it. its just a different era.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject:

Until kobes contract is off the blocks their very limited in what they can do.

I dont understand what some fans expect them to do at this point?

Lakers tried..Mitch flew out to Cleveland , they tried hard to convince Melo...it wasn't happening.

People are suggesting they sign Stephenson but the reality is he probably wont accept anything short of a 15+ mil 5+ deal.Hes not that good enough to push us into title contention so he doesn't deserve that commitment.

Our best bet would be to stock pile on some picks and keep our cap flexibility in tact...until another big time player is available.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject:

OK here is the positive spin...because the Lakers made the moves yesterday, they saved me the trouble of even bothering to watch them next year. So I will get a whole bunch of free time not watching the Lakers or going to games. Instead I can just fast forward to next off season and see if they have a new plan B.

So props to the FO for doing it early and getting it over with.
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
kobetimeeverytime wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
LakerPhreak91 wrote:

thats a nice way to spin it. these dudes are afraid of the pressure.

i'll give you a simple analogy. something myself and my boss were talking about the other day.

we just inherited a bunch of crap from another team we have to fix. thats the bad side of it. the good side is. its going to be easier for us to look like superstars once we clean up the crap.

it will always be easier to look good when you clean up the bad. but its much harder to maintain and actually make the good look even better.

This is why these guys are afraid of the lakers. like you said the lakers will have to suck for awhile so they can feel like the pressure is gone. pressure busts pipes. lol. and non of these new era guys i've seen can take the pressure. Kd has folded before, harden chokes under it, lebron has folded under it a lot of times, we just saw the entire pacer team fold under it. its just a different era.

Well that's your perspective and a self serving one to just label everyone who don't come here as cowards. analogy for me would be guys that do startups and try to create something from scratch instead of just joining an organization with storied history and established reputation.

look the guy that wins 3 in a roll in a place like Cleveland or NYC, those rings will be worth more than doing the samething here. that's just reality in term of what it means to the fanbase, narrative, and legacy wise.

once lakers suck for a while, then the prospect of "rescuing" and rstoring the lakers will be a strong enough narrative for superstars to come but no one is going to come at this moment, especially since kobe is still here and ti wouldnt even be clearcut who will be getting the credit for success.

at the end of the day, it's all about glory and validation

Last edited by kobetimeeverytime on Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Some "fans" have s lot of tribute keeping things in perspective.

Winning is difficult. Very difficult.

The FO I'd making good moves right now; avoiding some of the mistakes that bad GMs make when they panic. They are not trying themselves up to long term contracts in hopes that they will pan out. They are being methodical and smart.

I wish all fans could stop whining and complaining long enough to realize that the wick fix isn't always the best fix.

Also the quick fix

I do agree with you though. Think of the storied franchises in other sports and how long it took them to get back to the top of the mountain. The Yankees spent all of the 80s and half of the 90s mired in mediocrity. The Dallas Cowboys have gone quite some time without winning now because of the NFLs emphasis on parity (a model that NBA small market owners embrace). The Montreal Canadiens. The Dodgers. The Celtics went a long time in the 90s and 00s before winning a title. And the Lakers went 12 years without winning until they got back on top in 2000.

Mitch and Jim are trying to do what is really hard to do without a lot of time and a little luck. They haven't had either yet. They're trying to catch lightning in a bottle. It didn't happen this summer. Maybe it will next summer. I'll be there to hope they do.

Last edited by LuciusAllen on Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject:

I give them props to trying to sign up win now FAs with no coach in place.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject:

chrisca91 wrote:
Not gonna say anything since I don't agree with a word you said.. I'll just take it to the P&M thread.

Appreciate it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12
Jump to: