Props to the Front Office!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:

The vast majority of overly excitable Laker fans had penciled the Kobe/Nash/Peace/Pau/Howard in The Finals

As did 95% of the media that covered the NBA that year.

Do you want to fact check that number?

Ha. Some hyperbole to accentuate my point. But here was one representative example.

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=8517161&src=desktop
LHQ
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject:

LOL this thread.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Props to the Front Office!

Blade wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
I just wanted to give a shout out to the FO. Jimmy, Mitch and co. are getting slammed for really no reason. First of all, Mitch is the best GM in the game and I will leave it at that. He has struck out (who doesn't), but not for lack of trying. He has gotten other teams garbage and turned them into decent, serviceable players. The first quarter of last season, we were actually playing good (considering all the obstacles (No KB, poor coach, etc.) until things got derailed.

As far as Melo, we NEVER had a shot ( I am glad, because he is not worth 24 million). Jim may be a boob, but he is smart enough to surround himslf with talent to make up for his deficiencies. He has the best GM. In the recruiting of Melo he went Hollywood (Silver) and business (Harris) which was a stroke of genius. Today's players want money and fame and could care less about the history of the Lakers or any other team. It was a stroke of genius by the FO.

Mitch is doing a great job. We improved out pg position big time, got a couple of picks (and will probably get another with the S & T of Pau). He did this without jeopardizing our future financial flexibility. He knows (as we all should) that this most likely will not even be fixed next year. He may grab more picks at the trading deadline for our ending contracts and eat some more bad contracts. He is positioning himself to be ready to pounce in a couple of years. I think he is more focused on fixing this for 16/17. Hopefully, we hit on a few FA's, and a healthy KB resigns for the cheap (I still think he will be playing and chasing Kareem). The following year, the players will scap that CBA (either side can opt out). All those little minion owners who tried to stick it to the Lakers (but did not mind cashing checks courtesy of the Lakers) will get paid back. The slight disadvantage that we are currently faced (predominately tax consequences and no young studs on the team) with in regards to signing FA's will most likely change after the next CBA. We will be in the drivers seat again and FA's will beg to play for us.
What aload of crap

First of all They struck out on EVERY noticeable free agent and then had to use up ALL their cap space to resign players from LAST SEASON thats absolutely garbage and Mitch has once again missed the mark, Best GM? Hes made one decent move that has PAID OFF for the Lakers and that was Pau Gasol everything else has been garbage and not worth mentioning

secondaly you mention "Future Flexibility" another crock of crap, We FAILED to sign ANY decent Free agents this summer, We missed out on EVERYONE and your talking about "Future Flexibility", Players like Kevin Love, LMA, Kevin Durant will NOT be available by the time 2016 rolls around, Love will have been traded and probably inked an extension, LMA wants a 5yr deal in Portland something we can NOT offer and KD wont come here give me a break

This Franchise is going nowhere based on this summers activity what gives you any optismim moving forward, I have ZERO faith in FO to pull anything off, We wont be able to trade for anyone decent ala a Superstar because we have NO assests aside from Randle and a 36yr old Kobe

Grow a pair and stop dancing around these morons that are running this team, They deserve NOTHING from us fans for the garbage that they have assembled this summer

Look on the bright side. We can not be any worse than those scrub Falcons you follow. I differ in your opinion and will leave it at that. Obviously, we are at a point of rebuilding and some can not get use to that fact. Getting future assets, being patient and not over reacting, and planning for the future are all part of rebuilding process. Its as simple as that. The FO did not get duped into giving out a ridiculous contract(s) just to appease fans. We will have many ending contracts which will be valuable down the road. If you think this year sucks, I have news for you. Wait until next year. It may be worse, especially with the possibility of moving those ending contracts for some bad contracts and picks.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: It is hard to believe

That the Clippers are now an ELITE team.

and the Lakers are the Clippers of old. With its management
doing what Clippers management used to do.

Hate to call it as see it.
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject:

@ Laker50. At least you're giving Props to Lakers FO for deferring to little brother for their time to shine.

BTW Clips don't usually draft well considering how high they draft. Aminu ahead of Paul George and Hayward. Gordon was the right choice. Thorton over Nick Young/Stuckey. Karolev instead of Granger. At least the Lakers faired a bit better with their picks.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject:

iceberg01 wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Some "fans" have s lot of tribute keeping things in perspective.

Winning is difficult. Very difficult.

The FO I'd making good moves right now; avoiding some of the mistakes that bad GMs make when they panic. They are not trying themselves up to long term contracts in hopes that they will pan out. They are being methodical and smart.

I wish all fans could stop whining and complaining long enough to realize that the wick fix isn't always the best fix.

Also the quick fix

I do agree with you though. Think of the storied franchises in other sports and how long it took them to get back to the top of the mountain. The Yankees spent all of the 80s and half of the 90s mired in mediocrity. The Dallas Cowboys have gone quite some time without winning now because of the NFLs emphasis on parity (a model that NBA small market owners embrace). The Montreal Canadiens. The Dodgers. The Celtics went a long time in the 90s and 00s before winning a title. And the Lakers went 12 years without winning until they got back on top in 2000.

Mitch and Jim are trying to do what is really hard to do without a lot of time and a little luck. They haven't had either yet. They're trying to catch lightning in a bottle. It didn't happen this summer. Maybe it will next summer. I'll be there to hope they do.
well the truth is. i have to keep saying this and i will never stop saying this.
the moment the nba jacked mitch and jim for CP3. it set us back YEARS. not a year. but YEARS. i assumed 5 years or so when it happened. now we're seeing it.

its as if the heat just made deals to get lbj and bosh. then nba comes in and says no to LBJ. but then lbj goes to say the knicks. and you have a team with aging wade and bosh. not bad but not great. now bosh doesnt want to stay in miami cause its not a ring team. bosh bolts. wade is all alone.

how does riles attract FAs. when FA's due to the new cba can get ridiculous money with their current teams, OR if they want to win NOW they are only looking for ready made rosters and no one is trying to take any pay cuts(like lbj, wade, and bosh did). how is a FO supposed to deal with that? you cant.

that cp3 deal is killing us. if we had him. we would still have dwight(not that i like him but its true). cp3, dwight, healthy kobe, and some good role players. if dwight still left. good riddance. here comes melo to hop on the ready made ring team. here comes love telling minny to trade him to us to get on this ready made ring team. we could then sign a stephenson for 9 million and find a big man that is semi decent that wants to come for cheap.

but no, we dont have cp3. and its all the nba's fault(stern, dan gilbert, jordan, and cuban.)

so remember dont say we didnt have luck or our FO didnt do the right things. they did. and they got jerked. which has placed us in the box we are currently in. this is not their fault. and some can say NO EXCUSES. its not an excuse. its a REASON. some things are completely out of your control. and when that happens you can only do what you can do. they've done that these past few summers. this is why you wont hear me talking bad about the FO.

WORD, pnp. You know I rarely post. But it's time for me to say something.

For those of you that think we have a dumb front office, there's other bandwagons to join. NBA screwed us hard as eff on the CP deal, which straight up crippled us for years to come.

And the you're right on on the domino effect: Howard probably stays if it's him, CP & Kobe, and we'd be in contentions for championships RIGHT NOW, if not winning a couple.

Exactly, I've said the same. Stern's hit was a staggering long term gutpunch, to a postJerryB Lakers org. Multiyear. People want to move on, so do I. But context is lost for everything since if you don't assess how consequential that move alone was.

Although they screwed up hiring Mike Brown under any circumstances. To think that the Spurs just signed Messina as Pop's probably longterm replacement and probable legend in waiting and we had him as an assistant to Brown. But the Stern hit was on a different scale entirely from any of the subsequent mistakes with coaching or otherwise. We are still staggering. The Stern hit was also far worse than say what Stern said for the Clippers org as far as limiting the team's future success. Or any other organizational hit of any kind since like Lebron leaving Miami.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
iceberg01 wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Some "fans" have s lot of tribute keeping things in perspective.

Winning is difficult. Very difficult.

The FO I'd making good moves right now; avoiding some of the mistakes that bad GMs make when they panic. They are not trying themselves up to long term contracts in hopes that they will pan out. They are being methodical and smart.

I wish all fans could stop whining and complaining long enough to realize that the wick fix isn't always the best fix.

Also the quick fix

I do agree with you though. Think of the storied franchises in other sports and how long it took them to get back to the top of the mountain. The Yankees spent all of the 80s and half of the 90s mired in mediocrity. The Dallas Cowboys have gone quite some time without winning now because of the NFLs emphasis on parity (a model that NBA small market owners embrace). The Montreal Canadiens. The Dodgers. The Celtics went a long time in the 90s and 00s before winning a title. And the Lakers went 12 years without winning until they got back on top in 2000.

Mitch and Jim are trying to do what is really hard to do without a lot of time and a little luck. They haven't had either yet. They're trying to catch lightning in a bottle. It didn't happen this summer. Maybe it will next summer. I'll be there to hope they do.
well the truth is. i have to keep saying this and i will never stop saying this.
the moment the nba jacked mitch and jim for CP3. it set us back YEARS. not a year. but YEARS. i assumed 5 years or so when it happened. now we're seeing it.

its as if the heat just made deals to get lbj and bosh. then nba comes in and says no to LBJ. but then lbj goes to say the knicks. and you have a team with aging wade and bosh. not bad but not great. now bosh doesnt want to stay in miami cause its not a ring team. bosh bolts. wade is all alone.

how does riles attract FAs. when FA's due to the new cba can get ridiculous money with their current teams, OR if they want to win NOW they are only looking for ready made rosters and no one is trying to take any pay cuts(like lbj, wade, and bosh did). how is a FO supposed to deal with that? you cant.

that cp3 deal is killing us. if we had him. we would still have dwight(not that i like him but its true). cp3, dwight, healthy kobe, and some good role players. if dwight still left. good riddance. here comes melo to hop on the ready made ring team. here comes love telling minny to trade him to us to get on this ready made ring team. we could then sign a stephenson for 9 million and find a big man that is semi decent that wants to come for cheap.

but no, we dont have cp3. and its all the nba's fault(stern, dan gilbert, jordan, and cuban.)

so remember dont say we didnt have luck or our FO didnt do the right things. they did. and they got jerked. which has placed us in the box we are currently in. this is not their fault. and some can say NO EXCUSES. its not an excuse. its a REASON. some things are completely out of your control. and when that happens you can only do what you can do. they've done that these past few summers. this is why you wont hear me talking bad about the FO.

WORD, pnp. You know I rarely post. But it's time for me to say something.

For those of you that think we have a dumb front office, there's other bandwagons to join. NBA screwed us hard as eff on the CP deal, which straight up crippled us for years to come.

And the you're right on on the domino effect: Howard probably stays if it's him, CP & Kobe, and we'd be in contentions for championships RIGHT NOW, if not winning a couple.

Exactly, I've said the same. Stern's hit was a staggering long term gutpunch, to a postJerryB Lakers org. Multiyear. People want to move on, so do I. But context is lost for everything since if you don't assess how consequential that move alone was.

Although they screwed up hiring Mike Brown under any circumstances. To think that the Spurs just signed Messina as Pop's probably longterm replacement and probable legend in waiting and we had him as an assistant to Brown. But the Stern hit was on a different scale entirely from any of the subsequent mistakes with coaching or otherwise. We are still staggering. The Stern hit was also far worse than say what Stern said for the Clippers org as far as limiting the team's future success. Or any other organizational hit of any kind since like Lebron leaving Miami.

Totally agree.
Ringshow
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: It is hard to believe

laker50 wrote:

LOL what moves have the Lakers FO made that rival the Clippers of old?

Trading for nash and howard? At the time that made us instant Western Conference favorites. All Laker fans were rejoicing, not a single one was hesitant. Nobody could've predicted what was going to happen that year

Everything after that has been a consequence of that year. Kobe's achilles, Nash's contract, and the resultant lack of draft picks.

Please think before posting statements like that.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: It is more of a total team game now

It is a team game from the FO to the players. And maybe even to some fans.

The Spurs are a prime example. They keep their coach for ages. And this win multiple championships. They have a super scout that finds them diamonds and he has also been with them for ages.

the players are loyal to the team.. even to the extent of taking less than max. Examples Duncan and dirk. the players do not want to play anywhere else.

the coach teaches defense first. 2 deep defense. And ball movement. 2 deep ball movement. the ball never stops.
They get their players through the draft. They never depend on free agency. They never gamble.
In the new CBA Miami is probably the last team to be able to do it.

Examples who follow the Spurs model. Cavs, Clippers, Thunder, Mavs, Pacers
all the successful teams now.
Those who do not: Lakers, Nets, Knicks.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: It is more of a total team game now

laker50 wrote:

The Spurs are a prime example. They keep their coach for ages. And this win multiple championships. They have a super scout that finds them diamonds and he has also been with them for ages.

the players are loyal to the team.. even to the extent of taking less than max. Examples Duncan and dirk. the players do not want to play anywhere else.

the coach teaches defense first. 2 deep defense. And ball movement. 2 deep ball movement. the ball never stops.
They get their players through the draft. They never depend on free agency. They never gamble.

Trick Question
How many brings have the Cavs, Clippers, Thunder, Mass and Pacers won? How many rings have the Lakers won?

Has one noted how the Spurs transformed themselves from a defense first to an uptempo offensive team?

One has confirmed their "knowledge when they compare Dolan to ANY members of the Buss Family
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: It is more of a total team game now

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
laker50 wrote:

Trick Question
How many brings have the Cavs, Clippers, Thunder, Mass and Pacers won? How many rings have the Lakers won?

Has one noted how the Spurs transformed themselves from a defense first to an uptempo offensive team?

One has confirmed their "knowledge when they compare Dolan to ANY members of the Buss Family

The question is always how many WILL they win, not how many HAVE they won. Starting today, if we had no rings, would we be just as good as the other teams?
Dwarf Nebula
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: It is hard to believe

Ringshow wrote:
laker50 wrote:

Trading for nash and howard? At the time that made us instant Western Conference favorites. All Laker fans were rejoicing, not a single one was hesitant. Nobody could've predicted what was going to happen that year

Everything after that has been a consequence of that year. Kobe's achilles, Nash's contract, and the resultant lack of draft picks.

It's really laughable. The Clipper have a long history of blown draft picks and losing. The Lakers, until very recently, have been by far the easiest sports franchise to follow for about the past HALF CENTURY. Moreover, the last time they made a poor decision with a high draft pick was .... let me see .... NEVER. And Randle appears to be better than advertised. So it's a fine time to be a Laker fan. Exciting young talent that we get to root for. It will take a couple of years but it looks like we took a good first step this offseason in landing Randle, Lin, and Clarkson.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: It is more of a total team game now

BennyLava wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
laker50 wrote:

Trick Question

The question is always how many WILL they win, not how many HAVE they won. Starting today, if we had no rings, would we be just as good as the other teams?
The past provides the foundation for the future.

The Lakers know how to win.

How many teams have had the Commissioner vetoed a legitimate trade

How many teams could have recovered within a year of having CP3/superstar taken away from them (that made them a contender), have a starting lineup of Howard, Pau, Peace, Kobe and Nash. We have seen Cuban blowup a title winning team, OKC traded Harden to save money (which was more important than winning rings), Nets load up on veterans to no avail, Celtics blowing up their team, etc. The Lakers are always "All In" in their pursuit to win rings.

The Lakers WILL win rings because they have done it before several times. Others mentioned - outside of the Spurs (who have never won in consecutive years - are still learning how to win one.

Last edited by A Mad Chinaman on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: It is hard to believe

Ringshow wrote:
laker50 wrote:

Yep. I had visions of this exact situation we're in after Dwight left. I don't feel the need to P&M right now because I knew we were gonna be screwed.

When you gamble big, you can lose big. I still have no problem with the gamble though personally.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject:

If nash doesn't get hurt and there is chemistry with him and howard we wouldn't be having this convo. Nash knew how to run a dantoni team because he was essentially on the court.
thurloly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject:

Prop for what? Tank squad?
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: It is more of a total team game now

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

This is true in the smart organizations. The dumb ones turn their back on the coaches and players who would continue the championship pedigree.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: It is more of a total team game now

MickMgl wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

This is true in the smart organizations. The dumb ones turn their back on the coaches and players who would continue the championship pedigree.

The Lakers are a smart organization.

Fans on the other hand can be crazy.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: It is more of a total team game now

MickMgl wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

Lakers will be back - soon
NomisR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: It is hard to believe

laker50 wrote:

Clippers have never made it passed the 2nd round of the playoffs, they're NOT an elite team.
NomisR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: It is more of a total team game now

MickMgl wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

When has the Lakers done any of that though. If you read the most recent Phil autobiographical update, it shows that he didn't want to come back and coach and he was reluctant to coach long term, while the Lakers want him around for a long time.

The Lakers gave Kobe a long contracted, wanted to keep Pau around, there's no turning their backs on players nor coach.

And Phil was the one that resigned both times from the Lakers, he wasn't fired either time. He called the Lakers his family..
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: It is more of a total team game now

NomisR wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
BennyLava wrote:
The past provides the foundation for the future.The Lakers know how to win.
When has the Lakers done any of that though. If you read the most recent Phil autobiographical update, it shows that he didn't want to come back and coach and he was reluctant to coach long term, while the Lakers want him around for a long time.

The Lakers gave Kobe a long contracted, wanted to keep Pau around, there's no turning their backs on players nor coach.

And Phil was the one that resigned both times from the Lakers, he wasn't fired either time. He called the Lakers his family..
Why would Pau coke back unless somebody like Melo was on the roster

DFish is a rookie coach with NO EXPERIENCE teaching The Triangle with Phil sitting on high. The Zen Master found a way to coach without all the grind and travel

In Phil's last year, he totally lost the team - so he was not coming back.

Phil is family since he is sleeping with the gorgeous Jeannie Buss.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: It is more of a total team game now

Reflexx wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

Fans didn't blow up a contender and turn their back on the coaching staff and players that won for them.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: It is more of a total team game now

NomisR wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

They didn't want him around anymore in 2011, from what I've read. He was apparently not sure whether he wanted to be around anymore, either, but what's most telling is their zeal to reject his entire coaching staff and philosophy and break off in a totally different direction from the one that had them in contention. Rejecting continuity with Brian Shaw. Blowing up what was still a contending core in Bryant-Gasol-Odom.

What happened in 2012 doesn't bother me as much on its own, because I don't believe you can make it all about one guy. Still, in the context of most all of Jim Buss's decisions regarding Jackson (as far back as having Phil's 2nd stint more or less imposed on him), it is pretty consistent, and seems obvious that they had no desire to hire him in the first place. It also adds to the narrative of an organization not all that interested in using the past as a foundation for the future. That they had no interest in interviewing Fisher as a coach this off-season is hardly a surprise.

Quote:

You really believe they wanted to keep Pau around? They could have started by not constantly trying to trade him in the first place, and then maybe try to sign him to a contract extension during the past two years that he's been eligible for one, and then when they let his contract run out, maybe pursue him immediately instead of as an after-thought to other free agents who were totally out of their reach. They didn't really want him back. They just kinda did when everybody else said no.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: It is more of a total team game now

MickMgl wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

Fans didn't blow up a contender and turn their back on the coaching staff and players that won for them.
Phil's last team had to be broken up and he was tired.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12
Jump to: