Props to the Front Office!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: It is hard to believe

NomisR wrote:
laker50 wrote:
That the Clippers are now an ELITE team.

and the Lakers are the Clippers of old. With its management
doing what Clippers management used to do.

Hate to call it as see it.

Clippers have never made it passed the 2nd round of the playoffs, they're NOT an elite team.
Who knows the future of the Clippers with ownership etc? It's still an unproven mess since it left San Diego.
thedude1977
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
OK here is the positive spin...because the Lakers made the moves yesterday, they saved me the trouble of even bothering to watch them next year. So I will get a whole bunch of free time not watching the Lakers or going to games. Instead I can just fast forward to next off season and see if they have a new plan B.

So props to the FO for doing it early and getting it over with.

uhhh you don't plan on spending that free time moaning on internet fan forums right?
kobe_somebody_odom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject:

I'm the biggest Odom fan but dude was about done and the Kobe-Gasol-Odom trio was not winning anything.

But the Kobe/Cp3/Dwight Howard trio was winning. That was the plan, and the plan was screwed by the NBA. The results of plan B (Kobe/Howard/Nash) is what we see today.

I agree with posters that preach a little patience. The Lakers will be back, but if you never suck, you can't draft top talent for the rebuild. This season will be OK, next season will be true tank, and I predict a revival in 2016-2017 with a rebuilt team and a max franchise player added to the bunch.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject:

Props to assembling one of the most PF-heavy rosters in recent memory?
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject:

I thought this was supposed to be a positive thread. Plenty of other threads to voice dimwitted criticisms of a team that is still being assembled and hasn't even hit preseason.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
I thought this was supposed to be a positive thread. Plenty of other threads to voice dimwitted criticisms of a team that is still being assembled and hasn't even hit preseason.

EB, just got to have a humourous outlook on an already humor-less offseason. It's all good.
cirehawk
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: It is more of a total team game now

BennyLava wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
laker50 wrote:
It is a team game from the FO to the players. And maybe even to some fans.

The Spurs are a prime example. They keep their coach for ages. And this win multiple championships. They have a super scout that finds them diamonds and he has also been with them for ages.

the players are loyal to the team.. even to the extent of taking less than max. Examples Duncan and dirk. the players do not want to play anywhere else.

the coach teaches defense first. 2 deep defense. And ball movement. 2 deep ball movement. the ball never stops.
They get their players through the draft. They never depend on free agency. They never gamble.
In the new CBA Miami is probably the last team to be able to do it.

Examples who follow the Spurs model. Cavs, Clippers, Thunder, Mavs, Pacers
all the successful teams now.
Those who do not: Lakers, Nets, Knicks.
Trick Question
How many brings have the Cavs, Clippers, Thunder, Mass and Pacers won? How many rings have the Lakers won?

Has one noted how the Spurs transformed themselves from a defense first to an uptempo offensive team?

One has confirmed their "knowledge when they compare Dolan to ANY members of the Buss Family

The question is always how many WILL they win, not how many HAVE they won. Starting today, if we had no rings, would we be just as good as the other teams?

It's truly sad when people can not appreciate the past, and the recent past at that. Your question is like asking "starting today, if you had no previous great times with with your spouse (or bf/gf), would your relationship be as good going forward". The past is part of what makes you (the Lakers) who you are. If you want to play that game, since we can't predict the future you may was well start the ring projections a year from now (instead of today). No one KNOWS who will win next year, let alone future years. What we do KNOW is that for all the recent hoopla about the Spurs "doing it the right way", we've won exactly the same amount of rings in "Kobe's" era as they have in "TD's" era doing it "our way". And I dare say we've been a lot more exciting and profitable to boot. Now factor in the complete history of the franchises and it's not even close. While I'm not delusional about our chances in the next couple years, I'm willing to be patient (based on our track record) and give the FO a reasonable amount of time to build a contender.

Last edited by cirehawk on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:

EB, just got to have a humourous outlook on an already humor-less offseason. It's all good.

= =

Got it.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject:

Lakers are going thru a rebuild right now. For those that remember the 90's, we are probably around the 1993 stage about now. We are still trying to collect talent from around the league, we probably won't make the playoffs, the front office is just trying to get players to put on a good show for the fans while hopefully collecting enough draft picks and cap room to sign a superstar in the future. It doesn't happen overnight but eventually we will get the pieces to field a contender.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject:

I truly think there are a few significant moves that will be made by the trade deadline. The Jordan hill signing is case in point. It's like we have a house 2/3rds built, but the contractors have kind of disappeared. That's where this team is right now.

But as the season continues, we will trade off guys like Hill and complete the house, for better or worse.
salami
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject:

thedude1977 wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:
OK here is the positive spin...because the Lakers made the moves yesterday, they saved me the trouble of even bothering to watch them next year. So I will get a whole bunch of free time not watching the Lakers or going to games. Instead I can just fast forward to next off season and see if they have a new plan B.

uhhh you don't plan on spending that free time moaning on internet fan forums right?

The complaining is not a wasted effort. Every time a fan expresses their disapproval, it adds to the heat under Jim Buss' ass and it helps towards accountability in the front office and played a part in his statement that if things still arent working out in 4 years he will remove himself.

If he does or doesn't is a different matter, but just him putting it on record is definitely a step in the right direction.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject:

salami wrote:
thedude1977 wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:

The complaining is not a wasted effort. Every time a fan expresses their disapproval, it adds to the heat under Jim Buss' ass and it helps towards accountability in the front office and played a part in his statement that if things still arent working out in 4 years he will remove himself.

If he does or doesn't is a different matter, but just him putting it on record is definitely a step in the right direction.

Agreed.

And the props to the FO for putting together a mediocre team is like the 10th place participation medal they award kids these days.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: It is more of a total team game now

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
BennyLava wrote:
The question is always how many WILL they win, not how many HAVE they won. Starting today, if we had no rings, would we be just as good as the other teams?
The past provides the foundation for the future.

The Lakers know how to win.
This is true in the smart organizations. The dumb ones turn their back on the coaches and players who would continue the championship pedigree.
The Lakers are a smart organization.

Fans on the other hand can be crazy.
Fans didn't blow up a contender and turn their back on the coaching staff and players that won for them.
Phil's last team had to be broken up and he was tired.

Why do you feel they had to be broken up?

Last edited by MickMgl on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject:

kobe_somebody_odom wrote:
I'm the biggest Odom fan but dude was about done and the Kobe-Gasol-Odom trio was not winning anything.

Because they lost a playoff series after three straight Finals?
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
I thought this was supposed to be a positive thread.

Was this designated as such? Seems like somebody posted a point of view that anybody is free to dispute.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject:

salami wrote:
thedude1977 wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:

Was it four years? I thought it was three! (bleep)!
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:

Positive does attract negative. According to physics.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: It is more of a total team game now

Reflexx wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

The past provides the foundation for the future.

The Lakers know how to win.

This is true in the smart organizations. The dumb ones turn their back on the coaches and players who would continue the championship pedigree.

The Lakers are a smart organization.

Fans on the other hand can be crazy.

Most complain about things that they lack even a basic understanding of.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject:

salami wrote:
thedude1977 wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:

Check out Mr. Self Important.
tonman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject:

kobe_somebody_odom wrote:

But the Kobe/Cp3/Dwight Howard trio was winning. That was the plan, and the plan was screwed by the NBA. The results of plan B (Kobe/Howard/Nash) is what we see today.

I agree with posters that preach a little patience. The Lakers will be back, but if you never suck, you can't draft top talent for the rebuild. This season will be OK, next season will be true tank, and I predict a revival in 2016-2017 with a rebuilt team and a max franchise player added to the bunch.

except by being injured, how does Nash fit into the Pau/Howard fiasco? Or Kobe's play with Howard. CP3 might give you more wins because of his talents but if you think the problems with Howard wouldn't have still existed here you'd be wrong. Nash in his prime would have been a great fit because his spot up jump shots were money and his PNR was tops. again, the finger I would point to is Howard.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject:

salami wrote:

I literally laughed out loud at this one.

This is the absolute pinnacle of message board self-importance.

Your posts are a fart in the wind; the only ones affected by them are the poor people who have to sit through your whining (us). Besides, do we really want an owner who is hung up on what Angry Message Board Guy thinks?

You people calling for Jim Buss to step down evidently don't posses the mental processing power to fully grasp what's happened to the Lakers over the past three years, so you take the easy way out - find someone to blame! There aren't any nuances or extenuating circumstances, one guy is to blame. Once he steps down it'll be five titles every decade from here on out.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject:

tonman wrote:

except by being injured, how does Nash fit into the Pau/Howard fiasco? Or Kobe's play with Howard. CP3 might give you more wins because of his talents but if you think the problems with Howard wouldn't have still existed here you'd be wrong. Nash in his prime would have been a great fit because his spot up jump shots were money and his PNR was tops. again, the finger I would point to is Howard.

I think having a second young superstar would've gone a long way towards appeasing Howard, for better or worse. I think his main problem is that Kobe didn't sacrifice shots for him and he knew going forward that there would be many nights where he got six shots to Kobe's 26.

I'm not saying Kobe should've sacrificed shots for him, since his plodding post game is predictable and detrimental to the rest of the team, but I think that's what was on Howard's mind.

If CP3 were here the ball wouldn't be in Kobe's hands as much and I think Paul would've been able to get Dwight enough easy looks and touches that he wouldn't have to groan and (bleep) about shot attempts. I also think he'd be able to get Howard his looks without the offense grinding to a halt, as Houston's did during their playoff fail this year.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject:

The Lakers set themselves up for two consecutive years of capspace.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2014/07/19/lakers-salary-cap-plans-two-tiered-2015-2016/

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
salami
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
salami wrote:

I literally laughed out loud at this one.

This is the absolute pinnacle of message board self-importance.

Your posts are a fart in the wind; the only ones affected by them are the poor people who have to sit through your whining (us). Besides, do we really want an owner who is hung up on what Angry Message Board Guy thinks?

You people calling for Jim Buss to step down evidently don't posses the mental processing power to fully grasp what's happened to the Lakers over the past three years, so you take the easy way out - find someone to blame! There aren't any nuances or extenuating circumstances, one guy is to blame. Once he steps down it'll be five titles every decade from here on out.

It is naive to think organizations do not care about negative feedback on message boards. It seems you want to bury your head in the sand and pretend that astroturfing on forums is not a common thing by entities that have the resources to do it. The reason they do it is because it is worth doing.

Public relations does matter. You would be surprised at the effort an organization will invest in damage control. Use your head... why do you think corporations have a presence on social media in the first place?
KG24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject:

Thanks Jim and Mitch... I like the team you have assembled. If you can get a coach that can make them believe in playing as a team, then I think the Lakers can go far this season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12
Jump to: