OFFICIAL 2014/15 Laker Roster as of 07/18/14 (Will update as we get new info)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Current (7/14/14) Cap Situation and Roster

nomoreshaq wrote:
can anyone please clarify WHO we have signed and what our cap space potential still is?

Kobe - signed
Randle - signed
Lin - acquired
Sacre - signed (is his contract guaranteed)?
Marshall - did we pick up his option? if not, when do we have to do so? is his contract guaranteed?
Kelly - did we extend him a QO? I guess no one has offered him a contract other than us? if he accepts, how much and is it guaranteed?
Young - agreed to, but unsigned?
Hill - agreed to, but unsigned?
Nash - signed for, can be stretched
Clarkson - assuming he gets a minimum contract from us

so with the guys accounted for, and with the guaranteed money accounted for and taking into consideration the current cap holds (and bird rights in hill's case), what is the theoretical potential cap space we could have left?

9, 10 million?

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2014/07/14/lakers-salary-cap-payroll-stretch-provision-steve-nash/

here's a good breakdown. bottom line is if we are as aggressive as possible, we have roughly $9m in cap space.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject:

thanks!
LakeShowSince84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Kobe may sit out another year with this roster
BLF2145
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
I think Jordan Hill will get a good look at being the starting center, he did time there when both Pau and Kaman were out. Put up some good numbers, last season in 21 minutes he put up 10 pts and 7.5 reb. He will get at least 30 mpg, and simply bumping the numbers up - I can see him average 14-15 pts and about 10 reb a game.

Lakers I think should look at Jermaine O'Neal and Ed Davis to round out the 4/5 spots in addition to bringing back Ryan Kelly.

yeah, I don't know anymore? looking at the roster, it's like Batman... and we're having tryouts. If Lin and Kobe work well together and Randle and Hill work out at PF and C, it's not an allstar lineup but assuming... Randle is a solid 15/10 guy, Hill comes in around that 14/10 range, Lin and Kobe along w/Nick Young off the bench carry the scoring load... I think the Lakers give Ryan Kelly a full shot this year to give 25 minutes/game off the bench so I don't see Mitch bringing in any vets unless they are 10 minute/game type vets... so the obvious offseason target next season would be a SF... maybe we find another "Xavier" in the NBA trashheap at the SF slot for this season? Otherwise, they're assuming Wes Johnson actually becomes a productive player alongside Kobe... what are the odds of that? 1 in 10? LOL!

So let me get this straight. The NBA had only 11 guys in the entire league last year that averaged a double double (pts/boards). But a career back up in Hill and a rookie PF are going to be double double guys. On the same team at that. Got it.
EddieJonesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject:

BLF2145 wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
I think Jordan Hill will get a good look at being the starting center, he did time there when both Pau and Kaman were out. Put up some good numbers, last season in 21 minutes he put up 10 pts and 7.5 reb. He will get at least 30 mpg, and simply bumping the numbers up - I can see him average 14-15 pts and about 10 reb a game.

Lakers I think should look at Jermaine O'Neal and Ed Davis to round out the 4/5 spots in addition to bringing back Ryan Kelly.

yeah, I don't know anymore? looking at the roster, it's like Batman... and we're having tryouts. If Lin and Kobe work well together and Randle and Hill work out at PF and C, it's not an allstar lineup but assuming... Randle is a solid 15/10 guy, Hill comes in around that 14/10 range, Lin and Kobe along w/Nick Young off the bench carry the scoring load... I think the Lakers give Ryan Kelly a full shot this year to give 25 minutes/game off the bench so I don't see Mitch bringing in any vets unless they are 10 minute/game type vets... so the obvious offseason target next season would be a SF... maybe we find another "Xavier" in the NBA trashheap at the SF slot for this season? Otherwise, they're assuming Wes Johnson actually becomes a productive player alongside Kobe... what are the odds of that? 1 in 10? LOL!

So let me get this straight. The NBA had only 11 guys in the entire league last year that averaged a double double (pts/boards). But a career back up in Hill and a rookie PF are going to be double double guys. On the same team at that. Got it.

Hill should be able to do it, or at least get 9 rebounds a game. He was 10 and 7 last year on 20 minutes a game.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson will probably play more at SG, if much at all. I expect at least one of Xavier and Wesley Johnson to be signed to be the 3rd wing. The room MLE would probably be best used on a center considering Hill's fragility and Sacre's inexperience.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Did we get Lance yet?
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Quote:
Quick: Up to $9.4 million if the Lakers stretch Steve Nash and let go of Ryan Kelly and Kendall Marshall. Before Jordan Hill signs, roughly $2.5 million in space.
Read more at http://www.basketballinsiders.com/los-angeles-lakers-team-salary/#HCW0zhiA18KJGFPS.99

So if we keep Ryan Kelly, but stretch Nash and waive Marshall, we have about $8.4 million to pay someone?

Question, if we go above the cap, do we then get to use the MLE? What happens to the room exception?

Lakers is below the cap. That's how they acquires Lin. No MLE, but I do think they have the "room exception", 2.7M this year.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

Moreover, they still have 2.5M cap space before signing Hill, assuming Nash is not stretched. So they can use it to bid on Boozer, for example, and sign somebody else with the the room exception. They also have a 2.7M trade exception from the Steve Blake deal.

Because no good FA is available now at 8-9M (just my opinion, Stephenson is debatable), I do not expect the Lakers to stretch Nash. The remaining space and exception is probably all the tools available.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject:

Update - Randle's contract and likely signings
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
So Disrespectful
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject:

Trey Thompkins has been looking good.. is he worthy of an invite?
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject:

To go under the cap, the Lakers have to renounce the trade exception. So only 2.5M space, 2.7 room exception, and minimum exception available now. I'd say a big, a wing, and minimum signees.

As to Stephenson, signing him would put us on the mediocrity treadmill. He may help to get to the playoffs, but not enough to win. In 2016, his salary, plus 3.2M streched from Nash, would take 13M away from the cap space.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
To go under the cap, the Lakers have to renounce the trade exception. So only 2.5M space, 2.7 room exception, and minimum exception available now. I'd say a big, a wing, and minimum signees.

As to Stephenson, signing him would put us on the mediocrity treadmill. He may help to get to the playoffs, but not enough to win. In 2016, his salary, plus 3.2M streched from Nash, would take 13M away from the cap space.

I basically agree. But with regards to 2016, who do you see "realistically" coming to the Lakers? Not like Melo, Lebron, Howard, Pau...

Again, I'm not on the Stephenson bandwagon, I'm just woundering.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:

I'd rather be on the mediocrity treadmill than on the swing and miss tread mill with all the tankers hoping for a pick and a FA every year.
In this CBA you need to be competitive and you need to show that you've got potential championship pedigree so that one of the big boys can be convinced to take the reigns. All the money in the world will not bring us a single super star, it will be the same every year. Eventually you will burn out your fan base.
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Trey Thompkins for a 3 and sort of D guy.
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Let's bring X back and sign Al Fariq Aminu. And if we can afford Andray Blatche and Ryan Hollins
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: This is a terrible lineup

Wow, things have really gone bad.

It shows how bad the FO is.

Not to rage, but it is the truth.
Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject:

I just want to see Kobe score another 600 points to pass Jordan, move to 3rd place all time and that is it. Entering his 19th NBA season, father time has caught up. Too many miles, too many long playoff stretches in his career. I wouldn't be surprised if he broke down again this season trying to do what he use to. What a career.
EddieJonesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Laker Lover wrote:
I just want to see Kobe score another 600 points to pass Jordan, move to 3rd place all time and that is it. Entering his 19th NBA season, father time has caught up. Too many miles, too many long playoff stretches in his career. I wouldn't be surprised if he broke down again this season trying to do what he use to. What a career.

Heck, if he can play these next two seasons at 22 ppg or so at 32 mpg to maintain his health and longevity, it may just convince him to sign with the Lakers for another year or two for a substantial discount. Then he can work on taking down Karl's #2 spot.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
LaxT wrote:

I'd rather be on the mediocrity treadmill than on the swing and miss tread mill with all the tankers hoping for a pick and a FA every year.
In this CBA you need to be competitive and you need to show that you've got potential championship pedigree so that one of the big boys can be convinced to take the reigns. All the money in the world will not bring us a single super star, it will be the same every year. Eventually you will burn out your fan base.

You are saying this because the Lakers have never been on the mediocrity treadmill. It's trapped, painful, and nowhere to go.

Besides, why would a super star want to play with someone like Stephenson? He does not bring "potential championship pedigree". The CBA requires a team to manage its contracts very carefully. Miss-handle one major contract and you will be out of competition.

There is a reason the Lakers overpay Hill and Lin with a short contract-- they have cap flexibility in mind. Currently only Young and Randle are signed beyond 2016. Major cap space in a major market. No guarantee it will work, but that's the best they can prepare.

When you think of the three avenues to improve-- trade, draft, free agency, FA is the most feasible. The Lakers lack talent and therefore can't expect anything really good in trade (a strength of Mitch, unfortunately). Furthermore, future picks were traded when they wanted to prolong the championship window.

For years, this summer is the first time the team have cap space. It is too early to abandon the strategy because of missing on Anthony.

When the money is equal, good players want to play with other good players and win. Cap space is just the answer for the first requirement, and the rest is in the hands of not only the FO but also the players.

James and Durant are the obvious targets in 2016, and there are a few more good choices.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/future_free_agents/2017/All/Per_Game/0/NBA/player

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-salaries/nba-free-agents-2015-2016/
meows a lot
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject:

LakeShowSince84 wrote:
Kobe may sit out another year with this roster

rofl. what will next year bring
meows a lot
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject:

Laker Lover wrote:

could he do this in a season?
jaeykang
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject:

Need to sign Boozer then possible playoff spot.

Staring:

Kobe
Lin
Xavier
Boozer
J. Hill

Bench:

Nick
Julius
Marshall
J. Clarkson
Ryan
LakeShowSince84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Kobe
Lin
Xavier
Randle
Hill
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject:

LakeShowSince84 wrote:
Kobe
Lin
Xavier
Randle
Hill

You got it right
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Updated to add Ed Davis - a great signing. Surprise he only cost $2M, I was expecting $3-4M.

Looks like Lakers won't be interested in Boozer now.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: