Gasol the Bull (and the Laker, the Spur, and the Grizzly)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ribeye
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2001
Posts: 7584

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Gasol the Bull (and the Laker, the Spur, and the Grizzly)

First, I'm ambivalent regarding Gasol. He gave the Lakers some great years and he gave some that were mediocre. And yes, I've said a gagillion times I wanted him traded to Houston or to another team to get value, but I accept the Lakers' philosophy that it is the players wearing the purple and gold who give the team its history, and taking care of them is sound from a sense of appreciation but can also be sound business practice.

On the Bulls, with Noah doing the dirty work and providing energy, we just might see a pretty darn good Gasol. This just might be a good match and a better combination that Howard and Gasol.

What will be a challenge though, is just how effective Tom Thibodeau will be in persuading Gasol to commit to his defensive focus.

It's going to be a different season next year, that's for sure.
_________________
For the adults in the room only


Last edited by ribeye on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Nov 2009
Posts: 1882

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Gasol's going to be 34. He's got one maybe two good seasons left. I don't think he can take the punishment of banging near the rim anymore. With Noah inside, Pau is going to be shooting a lot of jumpers - again

Bulls are not getting past the first round anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
srm90
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 9771

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Playing next to a guy like Noah is exactly what Pau needs at this point in his career. He will bail him out a lot.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
AY2043
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Feb 2012
Posts: 7844

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Pau makes them better, but everything still hinges on Rose. If he's healthy and plays at least 70 gams at 90% of his former self, the Bulls can be the 1 seed.

If he gets hurt again, they'll still be a top 4 seed, but it will be Pacers vs. Cavs in the ECF.

Also, not sure about how Pau will fit with Noah and Gibson, but I think Thibs will be able to make it work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 18426
Location: UCLA -> NY

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Gasol the Bull.
_________________
http://media.giphy.com/media/zNyBPu5hEFpu/giphy.gif
http://bartsblackboard.com/files/2009/11/The-Simpsons-05x18-Burns-Heir.jpg

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Nov 2009
Posts: 1882

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
Pau makes them better, but everything still hinges on Rose. If he's healthy and plays at least 70 gams at 90% of his former self, the Bulls can be the 1 seed.

If he gets hurt again, they'll still be a top 4 seed, but it will be Pacers vs. Cavs in the ECF.

Also, not sure about how Pau will fit with Noah and Gibson, but I think Thibs will be able to make it work.


I think Rose will never be the same again. There a first round exit team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 73949

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Doubt Pau closes out games. Will be taj and Noah while Pau sits in the 4th.
_________________
Rated #PG13
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
gumby
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 2124
Location: Anaheim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject:

They need his offense and inside presence.

His defense sucks but the Bulls are starving for scorers especially on the inside. Pau can still score if a fly doesn't land on him and cause an injury.

Bye.
_________________
"This trophy removes the most odious sentence in the English Language. It can never be said again that 'the Lakers have never beaten the Celtics.'" -Dr. Jerry Buss (1985) R.I.P., 33 x M.V.O.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BigGameYimmy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2003
Posts: 1068
Location: San Diego

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Gasol won't make them a contender but Melo would have.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 May 2013
Posts: 3382

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject:

BigGameYimmy wrote:
Gasol won't make them a contender but Melo would have.


yes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Posts: 13333
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject:

For the price they paid, Bulls got a bargain. Pau's passing will probably be just as important as his scoring. Guys like Noah and Butler are gonna love playing with him.
_________________
"Suck it up. Don't be a baby. Do your job." - Kobe Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 24257

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Gasol the Bull

ribeye wrote:
First, I'm ambivalent regarding Gasol. He gave the Lakers some great years and he gave some that were mediocre. And yes, I've said a gagillion times I wanted him traded to Houston or to another team to get value, but I accept the Lakers' philosophy that it is the players wearing the purple and gold who give the team its history, and taking care of them is sound from a sense of appreciation but can also be sound e.


huh?the Lakers actually did trade Gasol once, for Chris Paul, the deal just fell through. Beyond that he was constantly on the trading block.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
srm90
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 9771

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Gasol the Bull

activeverb wrote:
ribeye wrote:
First, I'm ambivalent regarding Gasol. He gave the Lakers some great years and he gave some that were mediocre. And yes, I've said a gagillion times I wanted him traded to Houston or to another team to get value, but I accept the Lakers' philosophy that it is the players wearing the purple and gold who give the team its history, and taking care of them is sound from a sense of appreciation but can also be sound e.


huh?the Lakers actually did trade Gasol once, for Chris Paul, the deal just fell through. Beyond that he was constantly on the trading block.


Trading him for CP3 was the right move.

Sure they did shop him a lot, but never pulled the trigger because they valued him that much (to a fault). That shows how we felt about Pau. Sure, it might have been hard on him. But it shows we wanted to keep him ultimately.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 27135

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject:

BigGameYimmy wrote:
Gasol won't make them a contender but Melo would have.


They'll contend in the East, if they add just one more good perimeter scorer or if Rose is just 2/3 of his former self.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Dec 2009
Posts: 3855

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject:

Remember Norman from City Slickers?
I'm sure he's all grown up now.

Norman the bull. Hopefully he's still alive and well.
_________________
"The best there is. The best there was. The best there ever will be.", said Bret Hart regarding the Los Angeles Lakers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ribeye
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2001
Posts: 7584

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Gasol the Bull

activeverb wrote:
ribeye wrote:
First, I'm ambivalent regarding Gasol. He gave the Lakers some great years and he gave some that were mediocre. And yes, I've said a gagillion times I wanted him traded to Houston or to another team to get value, but I accept the Lakers' philosophy that it is the players wearing the purple and gold who give the team its history, and taking care of them is sound from a sense of appreciation but can also be sound e.


huh?the Lakers actually did trade Gasol once, for Chris Paul, the deal just fell through. Beyond that he was constantly on the trading block.


The Lakers never went back and simply deleted the Hornets portion of the trade (CP3) and accept what the Hornets would have received, you know, Lowry or Dragic, Scola, Martin, a first.
_________________
For the adults in the room only
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JamaalWilkes
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 25 Oct 2006
Posts: 721

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Smooth that we got nothing in return for him.

Real smooth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Black Salt
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 31 Jul 2013
Posts: 2204

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Thibs is the coach. There is always a chance of production when you have a coach as good has him.
_________________
www.blacksaltfilm.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Romano338
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 12 Nov 2013
Posts: 1150

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Nice move for the Bulls.
Gasol is. Ot what he used to be but with good players around him, he will be more than ok.
With the best inside defender of the league near him, who is willing to make efforts for 2 if needed, and some decent to good outside defenders, Pau's lack of defense won't be an issue like it was with the Lakers.
But he needs to find back his accuracy on shooting. He had some serious trouble last year and the Bulls probably want him to be better on that.
And he can play center with Gibson, who is an other great defender.

That will be the craziest inside passing duo in NBA history, no? Noah is the best center for assists, and Gasol is great too. Pretty insane.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 29 May 2002
Posts: 51407

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject:

If Rose isn't healthy - here's their best offensive player. If Rose is, then Gasol is their #2. His value won't be on D, or how many minutes he plays. It will be to give a team a much needed go to scorer. This team's best scorer over the years has been Derrick Rose taking 25 shots a night, dominating the ball. Or Luol Deng. So they're real happy about adding Pau's skillset to their team.

It's a nice situation, IMO.

Championship? No, but at least he'll close out his career playing for a team that's likely in the playoffs and Pau's a big part of their offense.

My heart really wanted to have Phil coach the Lakers one last year or two and close out Kobe's career and have Pau be there. They all were just meant for each other. If we had surrounded them with the right supporting cast with athletic players, we'd have a shot at making a Spurs like run eventually too. But Phil's influence was just not there like Pop's in SAN. So yeah my heart doesn't like that Pau's in CHI and Kobe's best big is Jordan Hill. I feel the two should have closed out their careers together.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Nov 2009
Posts: 1882

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
If Rose isn't healthy - here's their best offensive player. If Rose is, then Gasol is their #2. His value won't be on D, or how many minutes he plays. It will be to give a team a much needed go to scorer. This team's best scorer over the years has been Derrick Rose taking 25 shots a night, dominating the ball. Or Luol Deng. So they're real happy about adding Pau's skillset to their team.

It's a nice situation, IMO.

Championship? No, but at least he'll close out his career playing for a team that's likely in the playoffs and Pau's a big part of their offense.

My heart really wanted to have Phil coach the Lakers one last year or two and close out Kobe's career and have Pau be there. They all were just meant for each other. If we had surrounded them with the right supporting cast with athletic players, we'd have a shot at making a Spurs like run eventually too. But Phil's influence was just not there like Pop's in SAN. So yeah my heart doesn't like that Pau's in CHI and Kobe's best big is Jordan Hill. I feel the two should have closed out their careers together.


You echoed my sentiments in the last paragraph. If not with Phil, maybe Shaw.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 4479

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Can we get this thread stickied to keep track of how he does next year? Just can't let go...

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12353
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Doubt Pau closes out games. Will be taj and Noah while Pau sits in the 4th.


Disagree. Last minute scoring is a likely spot where he will be needed on that team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12353
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject:

shnxx wrote:
BigGameYimmy wrote:
Gasol won't make them a contender but Melo would have.


yes.


Guess we will ind out. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he has a big impact. Remember that he has something to prove again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Posts: 2527
Location: Mukdahan, Thailand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:56 am    Post subject:

He still can't guard pfs. Look for him to play limited minutes with Noah he's not a power forward on offense either they are just going to collapse the paint leaving no place for Rose to drive in the lane. After a short experiment he will be seeing mostly backup minutes to Noah. He might start to sooth his ego but more than likely he gets a quick hook and Gibson comes in for him.

The twin tower offenses have never worked with him as much, as it has been tried.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 1 of 28
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB