Gasol the Bull (and the Laker, the Spur, and the Grizzly)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject:

I'm so glad Gasol turned down the Lakers offer, he no longer deserved to be a Laker, he had a way to stab players and coaches in the back. I remember when MDA benched him when he first became the Lakers coach, Gasol was furious. I'm am not a MDA fan, but he does not bow down to anyone, it took guts to bench Gasol even though it was just a get your attention benching. I have to give MDA some respect, he could of taken his 5 mil to coach the Lakers this season but he did not want to be a lame duck coach, I respect his decision because he stood by his principles. Turning down 5 mil, I would have elected to have taken the 5 mil.
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
I'm so glad Gasol turned down the Lakers offer, he no longer deserved to be a Laker, he had a way to stab players and coaches in the back. I remember when MDA benched him when he first became the Lakers coach, Gasol was furious. I'm am not a MDA fan, but he does not bow down to anyone, it took guts to bench Gasol even though it was just a get your attention benching. I have to give MDA some respect, he could of taken his 5 mil to coach the Lakers this season but he did not want to be a lame duck coach, I respect his decision because he stood by his principles. Turning down 5 mil, I would have elected to have taken the 5 mil.

Quoted for posterity

This is the definition of blind hatred. Slamming the player that helped us return to championship glory while glorifying the coach who did literally nothing positive for this franchise.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:

Quite the vendetta you have when you attribute a lot of MDA's qualities onto Pau.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Nice day from both Gasol bros today. Marc with 21/13 and 3 blocks while Pau had 20/11 and 3 blocks
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Rewatching the Bulls game right now, it's exciting to see Pau put in some work!

Pau Gasol is nice
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Pau played well today. Either Thibideau or his health have gotten him to move his feet more on d, though he's still slow. It makes me a little sad to see how far he's declined from his first three years here. He's still good, but he's not the top ten player he was years ago. I wish him the best and it would be epic if he could keep Lebron or the Spurs from winning another ring this year. Of course it would be the height of ecstasy if somehow the Kobe lead Lakers could do it themselves.

Gonna be watching Chicago (Pau), NY (Phil and Fish), Golden State (Curry and Thompson), and Minny (Rubio, Lavine, and Wiggins) in addition to the Lakers this season. Lots of impressive talent and fun teams in the league now.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject:

the Kobe lead Lakers vs The Chicago Bulls and Gasol in the NBA finals, a nice fictional ending, made for TV. And Lebron watching from his couch
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:

I back Pau in that exchange with MDA but I gotta say, Pau has been a shrinking violet with us ever since that Dallas series where Phil poked him. Pau may have one good year left but his best days (which were with the Lakers) are behind him.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject:

lakersgirl wrote:

It would of been nice to see Gasol put in some work for the Lakers the last 3 years while the Lakers were paying him 60 million dollars?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:

MDA is that you???? This guy would've been canned because the fans and players would've asked for his head this season. There was no way MDA would've coached this season because he would've poisoned our young players like Randle, Clarkson, with playing no defense and losing.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
lakersgirl wrote:

It would of been nice to see Gasol put in some work for the Lakers the last 3 years while the Lakers were paying him 60 million dollars?

Yes, it was nice.
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Voices wrote:
lakersgirl wrote:

Yes, it was nice.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Voices wrote:

MDA is that you???? This guy would've been canned because the fans and players would've asked for his head this season. There was no way MDA would've coached this season because he would've poisoned our young players like Randle, Clarkson, with playing no defense and losing.

Outside of Kobe, we have a pretty ideal MDA roster right now.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject:

No Gasol ----> no 4th and 5th championships for Kobe.

I wish Pau nothing but success in Chicago. He's a class act who represented the P&G well.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Doubt Pau closes out games. Will be taj and Noah while Pau sits in the 4th.

Disagree. Last minute scoring is a likely spot where he will be needed on that team.

Boozer didnt finish games for one reason, defense.
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Although Pau hasn't been shooting the ball well this preseason he's getting some good blocks, he has 4 for tonight against the Nuggets.

Pau Gasol is nice
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Doubt Pau closes out games. Will be taj and Noah while Pau sits in the 4th.

Disagree. Last minute scoring is a likely spot where he will be needed on that team.

Boozer didnt finish games for one reason, defense.

I completely expect Pau to close out games for the Bulls due to a number of factors.

- Pau plays better on good teams. He was a stud on our contending and title winning teams, he has always been a stud when playing for Spain, and this Bulls team looks to be good which will bring out the best in Pau.

- Pau actually plays better defense down the stretch of games and was always a clutch defender for us when we were contending.

- Pau and Noah should complement each other ideally. Where Pau struggles is when he has to chase stretch 4's outside or defend the pick and roll. Those are things Noah excels at. On the flip side, Noah isn't a great one on one post defender against some of the better post players in the league, but that is an area Pau has excelled at.

- Thibodeaux has stated that he plans to use Pau as a paint clogger, limiting the amount of chasing he has to do around the perimeter.

It's interesting to see that Pau has 12 blocks through 4 preseason games and has led the Bulls in +/- in each of their preseason games.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject:

It helps Pau that the rest of the Bulls are pretty athletic, and that TT has a great defensive system. Pau has been making smart rotations (as he did for us) and using his length well as the other Bulls players impede players enough so that slow Pau can get there. One of Pau's blocks tonight (didn't see the others) was because Gibson flagged the player and slowed him up enough and impacted his vertical enough so that Pau could get a flat footed block.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Voices wrote:

I am no MDA fan, I just supported his benching of the self centered Gasol. MDA was not blind he saw the same thing that PJ saw when he gave Gasol a firm push in the chest in the 2011 playoffs.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Gasol was used to a coach supporting his players, installing confidence. Brown and MDA did the opposite. MDA in particular had it out for Pau, just because Pau was a secondary big guy that didn't fall in love with MDA's system. MDA wanted speed and 3 point shooting at PF, and for his system it was right. For Pau? It sucked.

How one can only blame Pau, IDK. BTW, I also don't just blame D'Antoni. He was in a tough situation. But that's what he asked for. He was saying the Lakers would score 110 points a night and be a powerhouse offense. When it didn't happen, he looked for scapegoats instead of maybe questioning whether he was the right guy for the job or using the right system.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Gasol was used to a coach supporting his players, installing confidence. Brown and MDA did the opposite. MDA in particular had it out for Pau, just because Pau was a secondary big guy that didn't fall in love with MDA's system. MDA wanted speed and 3 point shooting at PF, and for his system it was right. For Pau? It sucked.

How one can only blame Pau, IDK. BTW, I also don't just blame D'Antoni. He was in a tough situation. But that's what he asked for. He was saying the Lakers would score 110 points a night and be a powerhouse offense. When it didn't happen, he looked for scapegoats instead of maybe questioning whether he was the right guy for the job or using the right system.

Perfectly balanced and IMHO, accurate statement.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Makes perfect sense if you ignore Pau going downhill for Phil, moreso after the vetoed trade, and the fact that Pau was the one who had it in for MDA from the get go (figuring Phil would put Dwight in the Bynum role while ironically Dwight figured Phil would make Kobe facilitate him) after having helped run Brown out of town. Or that by his own admission MdA favored Dwight for organizational necessities, not antipathy for Pau (whom he tried to feature the next season). Or that the famous statement was taken in the context wanted by fans and media who disliked him, not how he meant it.
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject:

24, you've normally got great analysis, but this post is pretty incoherent. Maybe I just missed what you were referring to. I'll try to break it down to see if I understand at least some of it correctly.

24 wrote:
Makes perfect sense if you ignore Pau going downhill for Phil, moreso after the vetoed trade,

No idea what it is you're saying "makes perfect sense" here

24 wrote:
and the fact that Pau was the one who had it in for MDA from the get go

No, just no. MDA had it in for Pau from day 1, not the other way around.

24 wrote:
(figuring Phil would put Dwight in the Bynum role while ironically Dwight figured Phil would make Kobe facilitate him) after having helped run Brown out of town.

Huh? Are you saying Pau figured Phil would put D12 in the Bynum role? Any point here? Dwight figured Phil would make Kobe facilitate him? Again, I have no idea of the point here.

I will say this in regards to Bynum and Howard. In hindsight it's a shame that we forced Pau out of the C position in favor of Bynum and D12. Bynum never really brought us more than potential of things to come and obviously the D12 thing was a bust. The Pau/Odom combo was a thing of beauty and if we had been given an indication of "basketball reasons" before it happened, it sure would have been great to trade Bynum for Melo. But I can certainly understand why things were done the way they were, just unfortunate.

And are you saying Pau ran Mike Brown out of town? This would be the first I've ever heard that silliness. I know the media version was that Kobe ran him out, and if so Pau would have certainly been supporting Kobe, as the pair have always supported each other, but that's as close as I would be able to link Pau to it.

24 wrote:
Or that by his own admission MdA favored Dwight for organizational necessities, not antipathy for Pau

Yes, MDA had it in for Pau. No antipathy for Pau? Well, however you want to explain the reasons for having it in for Pau is up to you, organizational necessities or otherwise.

24 wrote:
(whom he tried to feature the next season).

He tried to feature Pau, or Pau just happened to be the most talented player left on a lost season? Yay MDA for not benching Pau once you're forced to use him due to having a team full of injuries!

24 wrote:
Or that the famous statement was taken in the context wanted by fans and media who disliked him, not how he meant it.

What famous statement?
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Another good game from Pau tonight despite not having any blocks.

Pau Gasol is nice
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject:

saacman5033 wrote:
24, you've normally got great analysis, but this post is pretty incoherent. Maybe I just missed what you were referring to. I'll try to break it down to see if I understand at least some of it correctly.

24 wrote:
Makes perfect sense if you ignore Pau going downhill for Phil, moreso after the vetoed trade,

No idea what it is you're saying "makes perfect sense" here

24 wrote:
and the fact that Pau was the one who had it in for MDA from the get go

No, just no. MDA had it in for Pau from day 1, not the other way around.

24 wrote:
(figuring Phil would put Dwight in the Bynum role while ironically Dwight figured Phil would make Kobe facilitate him) after having helped run Brown out of town.

Huh? Are you saying Pau figured Phil would put D12 in the Bynum role? Any point here? Dwight figured Phil would make Kobe facilitate him? Again, I have no idea of the point here.

I will say this in regards to Bynum and Howard. In hindsight it's a shame that we forced Pau out of the C position in favor of Bynum and D12. Bynum never really brought us more than potential of things to come and obviously the D12 thing was a bust. The Pau/Odom combo was a thing of beauty and if we had been given an indication of "basketball reasons" before it happened, it sure would have been great to trade Bynum for Melo. But I can certainly understand why things were done the way they were, just unfortunate.

And are you saying Pau ran Mike Brown out of town? This would be the first I've ever heard that silliness. I know the media version was that Kobe ran him out, and if so Pau would have certainly been supporting Kobe, as the pair have always supported each other, but that's as close as I would be able to link Pau to it.

24 wrote:
Or that by his own admission MdA favored Dwight for organizational necessities, not antipathy for Pau

Yes, MDA had it in for Pau. No antipathy for Pau? Well, however you want to explain the reasons for having it in for Pau is up to you, organizational necessities or otherwise.

24 wrote:
(whom he tried to feature the next season).

He tried to feature Pau, or Pau just happened to be the most talented player left on a lost season? Yay MDA for not benching Pau once you're forced to use him due to having a team full of injuries!

24 wrote:
Or that the famous statement was taken in the context wanted by fans and media who disliked him, not how he meant it.

What famous statement?

I was referring to the posts above in terms of making perfect sense. No one has ever come up with any reason mda had it in for pau coming into the job. and Pau had every reason to have it in for mda (and thats why i talked bout what Pau was expecting from pj, and got the opposite from mda). Mda benched pau late in a couple games because he was playing very ineffectually and his conditioning looked awful. That was why he answered he was doing it because he wanted to win the game. His reason was Pau was gassed and playing poorly, and he thought it was a dumb question (thats the famous statement btw). But fans who hated the hiring immediately jumped mda as having it in for pau. He didnt. Just like he didnt really want to play dwight in the post either. But he has explained he was bending to the team's desire to make sure Dwight would re-sign, which makes sense. The team should have traded pau after getting dwight. Thats nit on mda, having two guys who wanted the same spot. Its not like he could put dwight outside in any event.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 5 of 28
Jump to: