Gasol the Bull (and the Laker, the Spur, and the Grizzly)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Good on Pau, but I hope the Bulls get Joachim back soon and can scale back his minutes, or Pau isn't going to be able to keep it up. He isn't the young athlete Thibs is used to dealing with and riding like a maniac, Pau can and will get run into the ground these days. It's no longer 2008-2010 anymore.

Agreed on the minutes part. Hopefully Thibs starts to rest Pau a little bit more in the new year and before the playoffs start. The Bulls could be in for a long run.

Pau Gasol is nice
cccplus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject:

I'm glad PG is in a better place
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject:

Well a couple things.

1- Pau is clearly still a top 2-3 option on a contender. During the initial part of MDA hire, some defended his sucky use of Pau as to classify Pau as no longer able to score well in the paint or be a top 2-3 option. When clearly he is and was.

2- Now you know why Lakers wanted to keep Pau. Clearly they woud have two things. A very solid #2 to Kobe. And a player very tradable on the type of contract would have signed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Well a couple things.

1- Pau is clearly still a top 2-3 option on a contender. During the initial part of MDA hire, some defended his sucky use of Pau as to classify Pau as no longer able to score well in the paint or be a top 2-3 option. When clearly he is and was.

2- Now you know why Lakers wanted to keep Pau. Clearly they woud have two things. A very solid #2 to Kobe. And a player very tradable on the type of contract would have signed.

countdown to Voices coming in to bash Pau, 3,2, 1 ...
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
lakersgirl wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Pau blew like six pretty easy post looks today and two wide open ten footers. If he could have hit the shots, Bulls win easy. He did a great job blocking shots, but the Bulls need offense. I'd blame him for Thompson grabbing every offensive board out there, but Noah and Gibson did no better checking him.

Rose tweaked an ankle and couldn't play the fourth or OT. Fragile.

The Bulls had offense and a 5 point lead with 46 seconds left in the game, but they blew it. Pau wasn't even on the floor for that. If Snell and Gibson didn't make stupid fouls the Bulls win easily.

Why wasn't he on the floor anyway? I don't always pay much attention to the East so I was curious about that.

Gibson's better at this point in their careers, mainly on defense. But I imagine Tom T will evaluate who's doing better on a game to game basis to figure out the actual closers. Gibson did a pretty poor job to end the fourth today, and he had one of the more brain dead fouls to give up an and one that tied the game.

Taj Gibson is far from being better than Pau Gasol at anything but defense
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Well a couple things.

He's arguably the #1 option on offense for them thus far. The difference in Chicago though is that the distribution is fairly even across the top players. It's not a team like we were during the championship years or Miami where it was top 3 then a massive, massive drop off. There's no need for a clear cut 1 like we had.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Rose just missed 2 more games in the last 2 days. If Gasol wanted to be the #1 option on a playoff team, it looks like going to Chicago was a smart choice.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject:

cccplus wrote:
I'm glad PG is in a better place

I take it you've never been to Chicago.
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject:

17/15 for Pau tonight. The 4 blocks he had puts him at 19 for the season. I saw on Twitter that Boozer had 22 total all of last season.

Pau Gasol is nice
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject:

lakersgirl wrote:
17/15 for Pau tonight. The 4 blocks he had puts him at 19 for the season. I saw on Twitter that Boozer had 22 total all of last season.

Pau played well, but to be fair he padded his stats by getting two of those blocks after the game was basically over.

I really hope that Bulls team stays healthy. Them, and the Wizards, are the two teams I'm rooting for to come out of the East.
vedanta
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject:

He is only three assists shy of being the sixth player in the history of the NBA to get at least 16000 points, 8000 rebounds, 3000 assists and 1500 blocks.

The other members of the club are Kareem, Shaq, Hakeem, Garnett, and Duncan.
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject:

vedanta wrote:
He is only three assists shy of being the sixth player in the history of the NBA to get at least 16000 points, 8000 rebounds, 3000 assists and 1500 blocks.

The other members of the club are Kareem, Shaq, Hakeem, Garnett, and Duncan.

Wow.

Pau Gasol is nice
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject:

So . . . just thinking . . . just thinking back to some previous discussions.

There was a time that any comparison of Kobe's value to the Lakers during the 09 and 10 seasons, to Gasol, would ultimately digress to, but what did Gasol ever do without Kobe, or something to that effect.

Gasol sure looks more like that guy who changed lockers in the 08 season, than the guy struggling during the last two.

And, dare I say it, might he be more valuable, in the sense we judge MVP players for such awards, than Kobe this year?
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Just shows you how important coaching is. He's suddenly become a very good defender under coach Thibs.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
And, dare I say it, might he be more valuable, in the sense we judge MVP players for such awards, than Kobe this year?

No.

But I've just had an interesting thought. If you take Rose off of that team, and put both Kobe and Gasol on that team, I wonder how that team would do.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
ribeye wrote:

No.

But I've just had an interesting thought. If you take Rose off of that team, and put both Kobe and Gasol on that team, I wonder how that team would do.

Surround Kobe and Gasol with speed and defense and you get wins.
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Sure, you can't be an MVP candidate when your team is 1-7 so Pau gets this one by default. But on that Bulls team, Pau's just one of several excellent players and I wouldn't expect him to actually garner any MVP votes.

IF Rose and Noah can be healthy come playoff time, I think the Bulls are coming out of the East.
vedanta
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject:

saacman5033 wrote:

IF Rose and Noah can be healthy come playoff time, I think the Bulls are coming out of the East.

I´ve watched some Bulls games this season, with and without Rose, and by no means they have reached a good offensive balance. Pau is absolutely the team´s focal point and the only player (with Noah, but he is playing through pain and is almost a non factor yet) who seems to be willing to create an offensive flow where everybody has a role.

The perimeter players, Dunleavy, Butler, Brooks (who is playing great, BTW), McDermott, Hinrich ( ) and obviously Rose shoot as soon as they get the ball without even raise the head to see what´s going on with their teammates. Furthermore, their defense is quite bad yet, so I´d say they have a great potential, but still have to create chemistry.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject:

vedanta wrote:
saacman5033 wrote:

I´ve watched some Bulls games this season, with and without Rose, and by no means they have reached a good offensive balance. Pau is absolutely the team´s focal point and the only player (with Noah, but he is playing through pain and is almost a non factor yet) who seems to be willing to create an offensive flow where everybody has a role.

The perimeter players, Dunleavy, Butler, Brooks (who is playing great, BTW), McDermott, Hinrich ( ) and obviously Rose shoot as soon as they get the ball without even raise the head to see what´s going on with their teammates. Furthermore, their defense is quite bad yet, so I´d say they have a great potential, but still have to create chemistry.

Yep.

Jimmy Butler is going to hit career highs across the board and most importantly FG% and it's not because of Rose. When Gasol is the hub of an offense (not necessarily shot making), aka directing the flow of the offense, EVERYONE is better for it.

That 2008-2010 Kobe/Gasol/Lamar offense was a thing of beauty to behold. 3 guys that looked like they were made to play with each other.

Defensively, Noah playing hurt puts a damper. Having a DPOY going at half speed is going to be tough to overcome.
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject:

The Laker front office..
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Not only did the Lakers fail to get anything for Pau in those years he was on the TB.... but he is also playing like the superstar big-man we all knew during his time with MEM and his time with the Lakers during those championship runs...

so basically we failed to obtain anything and at the sametime..... give Pau... one last "FU" to the Lakers.....
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Watching the Bulls vs Raptors on now. Pau is ballin. That little jumper just below the foul line is money.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Pau killing it right now on offense for the Bulls. Too bad the Bulls are getting killed overall. Way too much sloppy play, and the bench was completely useless. McDermott has to be a huge disappointment thus far for Chicago. Pau really needs to step up more on D though, and he's letting himself get pushed too easily by Valancuenas. Pau is clearly still a force on O though, and he's hardly the worst offender on D. Given how much slower and how little lift he has these days, that's a testament to how skilled he is.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone think will Kobe be pissed if Gasol gets a ring this season with the Bulls? I don't.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject:

They flipped the switch, and look brilliant this second half. Pau, defense, team offense, amazing. Pau looks amazingly spry. I didn't know he had that kind of speed or lightness of foot anymore. Reminds me of his ring days or Memphis. 27 points!
Jeez, now DRose is accelerating to basket. These guys can be realy great if they have found their groove on D.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 9 of 28
Jump to: