Gasol the Bull (and the Laker, the Spur, and the Grizzly)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
saacman5033 wrote:
Voices wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Pau's resurgence says something about the Lakers, and maybe Pau, and it is not a compliment to either. I truly thought his skills were waning--as his play was often so lackluster. Apparently not.

If I didn't miss anyone, only two players thus far in this young season are 20PPG/10RPG per: Davis and Cousins. Pau is one point short.

He has never been a 20/10 guy, but he is a 19.94 and 11.4 at this point.

See bold......very well said, 60 million dollars later. Talk about job security, play like crap and say whatever you want and you still get paid. Our society is so messed up, don't let personal pride get in the way.

Pau always played great for us when he was properly used, as a Center. And he's always thrived on good teams. No surprises here.

Properly used is doing what the coach asks you to do. All players thrive on good teams, no surprise there.

Unfortunately neither statement of yours is accurate.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:

Properly used is doing what the coach asks you to do. All players thrive on good teams, no surprise there.

"Used" is by someone else, in this case the brilliant MDA. "Doing" is the player himself. They are completely different things. If someone asks a surgeon to design a dam, is that "properly used"?.
I know for you Gasol is the devil incarnate, but the Lakers messed up, and you'd rather defend a failure of a coach than a player who was always a professional.
And for you he can't win whatever he does by the Bulls. If he struggles, then you we're right all along, he was washed up. If he plays great, like right now, you'd say he was tanking by the Lakers.
MoriArty
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
MoriArty wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Pau's resurgence says something about the Lakers, and maybe Pau, and it is not a compliment to either. I truly thought his skills were waning--as his play was often so lackluster. Apparently not.

If I didn't miss anyone, only two players thus far in this young season are 20PPG/10RPG per: Davis and Cousins. Pau is one point short.

He has never been a 20/10 guy, but he is a 19.94 and 11.4 at this point.

You said it. We saw glimpses of this anytime he played for his native España and ripped the US teams a new one every time he played us. Physically he's clearly lost a step, which is perfectly normal for a big with his mileage and age, but he's playing with another top 10 center in Noah and putting up these numbers - it's not a coincidence. It was always mental with dude.

Gasol never ripped the US team, when the games got close P.Gasol disappeared. Spain was loaded with talent and could not beat the US, you know that.

Dude had 24/7/8 in the 2012 Olympics Final after the underwhelming OKC series. It boosted his trade value temporarily if everyone remembers and we should have sold high then. You could argue he faded down the stretch, but I remember him abusing just about everybody that guarded him. In the gold medal game in 2008 he put up 21/6, Spain's bigs outplayed Bosh and Dwight and basically D. Wade and Kobe put the team on their backs to pull away late.
MoriArty
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
The Bulls and Gasol are 3 and 5 against the West. Gasol went to the East where he could play against much lessor competition. Gasol was not going to stay in the West by choice that is for sure.

Probably not. I'm of the opinion that it's at least the second biggest reason Carmelo opted not to sign here, after the money [his squad is still garbage]. Pau chose the team in a major metropolitan city in Chicago that has emerging talents, a nearly complete roster, better coaching, in a pathetic conference where they're guaranteed a top seed. Makes a lot of sense.
vedanta
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:

Gasol never ripped the US team, when the games got close P.Gasol disappeared. Spain was loaded with talent and could not beat the US, you know that.

.[/quote]

Actually yes, he did. He played absolutely incredible basketball against the second best roster of all time. He was clearly the Olympics Final MVP and was also heading for a triple double (something that you NEVER get in FIBA basketball, where you play less minutes and where the "asisst" criteria is completely different than in the NBA) until LeBron almost pop Pau´s eye out of his sacket in the third or fourth quarter, I can´t remember.

Spain was loaded with talent? Oh, man... Pau was Spain, and Spain was Pau. That simple. Only five NBA players in the roster (three of them sharing minutes in the post), including Marc Gasol before his prime, who is always a non factor when he plays for Spain, and Rubio, great NBA player, absolute embarrassment when he plays slow, FIBA kind of game, some skilled but declining ex-NBA players(one season), like Navarro, who played injured, and a bunch of absolute nobodies.

In front of them: Durant, Kobe, Melo, LeBron, Paul, Davis, Love, Deron, Harden, etc...Please...

It is a miracle that Spain has always been able to face some of the best rosters ever, defeat them, including some US teams, and always take them to the limit. And whether you like it or not, Gasol is the 90 % of that team.

Last edited by vedanta on Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:05 am; edited 3 times in total
vedanta
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject:

MoriArty wrote:
Voices wrote:
The Bulls and Gasol are 3 and 5 against the West. Gasol went to the East where he could play against much lessor competition. Gasol was not going to stay in the West by choice that is for sure.

Probably not. I'm of the opinion that it's at least the second biggest reason Carmelo opted not to sign here, after the money [his squad is still garbage]. Pau chose the team in a major metropolitan city in Chicago that has emerging talents, a nearly complete roster, better coaching, in a pathetic conference where they're guaranteed a top seed. Makes a lot of sense.

Gasol´s options in the West were top seed playoff teams. He almost signed with the Thunder and the Spurs. Leaving aside Durant and Westbrook´s injuries, those teams get to the playoffs as easily as the Bulls do in the East.

If we talk about purely individual facts, this version of Gasol could not care less about the centers he meet, East or West. He dropped almost 30 on Tyson Chandler a week ago, one of the toughest possible matchups, ( his perfomance in the post was really fabulous), abused Brook Lopez, etc.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
Voices wrote:

"Used" is by someone else, in this case the brilliant MDA. "Doing" is the player himself. They are completely different things. If someone asks a surgeon to design a dam, is that "properly used"?.
I know for you Gasol is the devil incarnate, but the Lakers messed up, and you'd rather defend a failure of a coach than a player who was always a professional.
And for you he can't win whatever he does by the Bulls. If he struggles, then you we're right all along, he was washed up. If he plays great, like right now, you'd say he was tanking by the Lakers.

Does not matter if the coach is right or wrong, players get paid to play, coaches are director of players, nothing has changed regarding coaching and playing. Phil could not get the lazy Gasol to play with heart and passion in the 2011 playoffs, I'm sure you remember Phil trying to motivate Gasol, it was totally out of character for PJ to physically try to motivate a player. So when the Gasol supporters give Gasol a pass they completely forget about the greatest coach ever frustration with Gasol, never had Phil ever done that to a player. And Gasol never carried the Lakers during the 2009 2010 years, those teams were loaded with talent, Gasol was a supporting member of those teams just like LO, Fisher, Bynum, and MWP.

Gasol Memphis teams were swept in the playoffs all 3 times they made the playoffs, then you add the sweep by Dallas, can't think of any other player in NBA history that has been swept out of the playoffs four times. Gasol and beasting yea right.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject:

I'll ask you again Voices-Does Pau owe you child support? This level of vitriol is absurd.

!...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject:

In fairness to voices, Pau's play is demonstrating that he dogged it for 3 1/2 years in LA, and LA's willingness to offer him a two and even 3 year deal means they know he was too.
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
In fairness to voices, Pau's play is demonstrating that he dogged it for 3 1/2 years in LA, and LA's willingness to offer him a two and even 3 year deal means they know he was too.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but I'm not buying it and no, Pau did not mail it in for 3-1/2 years. I and many others see Pau's play and come to a completely different conclusion on what it demonstrates. But we've had this discussion a time or two before.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
I'll ask you again Voices-Does Pau owe you child support? This level of vitriol is absurd.

Owe? He may be Pau's illegitimate son.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

Owe? He may be Pau's illegitimate son.

Good God!

!...
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:

Last edited by Voices on Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:

You have to be able to make children in order to be in a position to pay child support, men make children and support their children.

You are your typical self, avoiding Gasols record. Being swept out of the playoffs 4 times is not a very good record of beasting, like some of your counter parts like to refer to the ruff and tough dominate scoring, owning the paint, Pau Gasol. Your Gasol has a 20/20 game and your team the Bulls lose by something like 12. The Bulls were a very good defensive team, maybe the rough and tumble Gasol can show the Bulls his great defense. Talk a little Gasol defense, oh that's right, some of your counterparts only like to talk about how bad Gasol was coached and his beasting offense, I guess that would include Phil who did expect at least from time to time a little defense.

Through 20 games, the Bulls (12-8) are giving up 100.5 points per game, which puts them in the bottom half of the league. Last year, they gave up 91.8, best in the league.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:

In fairness to reality, it demonstrates no such thing. It could just as easily buttress the argument that he was poorly utilized by a franchise in near constant flux.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

You have to be able to make children in order to be in a position to pay child support, men make children and support their children.

You are your typical self, avoiding Gasols record. Being swept out of the playoffs 4 times is not a very good record of beasting, like some of your counter parts like to refer to the ruff and tough dominate scoring, owning the paint, Pau Gasol. Your Gasol has a 20/20 game and your team the Bulls lose by something like 12. The Bulls were a very good defensive team, maybe the rough and tumble Gasol can show the Bulls his great defense. Talk a little Gasol defense, oh that's right, some of your counterparts only like to talk about how bad Gasol was coached and his beasting offense, I guess that would include Phil who did expect at least from time to time a little defense.

Through 20 games, the Bulls (12-8) are giving up 100.5 points per game, which puts them in the bottom half of the league. Last year, they gave up 91.8, best in the league.

You always seem to miss the three finals appearances with two championships when talking about his record. Kobe has been swept more than once. Guess he sucks too?
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Voices wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

You always seem to miss the three finals appearances with two championships when talking about his record. Kobe has been swept more than once. Guess he sucks too?

Comparing Kobe's accomplishments to Gasol.....please, you can do better than that, you are acting foolish now.

How about the Bulls defense with Gasol, do you just ignore the facts, or just don't want to talk about the facts.

Gasol was a supporting player on the two championships, he was the star in Memphis, the main man, the opening act, the Euro sensation, the beasting machine, and could not deliver a single win in 3 try's, 12 losses in a row, beasting machine
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject:

LOL! Suffer snitches! Suffah!
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Voices wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

Comparing Kobe's accomplishments to Gasol.....please, you can do better than that, you are acting foolish now.

How about the Bulls defense with Gasol, do you just ignore the facts, or just don't want to talk about the facts.

Gasol was a supporting player on the two championships, he was the star in Memphis, the main man, the opening act, the Euro sensation, the beasting machine, and could not deliver a single win in 3 try's, 12 losses in a row, beasting machine

FATHER, WHY WONT YOU LOVE ME?

!...
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Voices wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

Gasol was not merely a supporting character on those two championships. He was either very very very nearly equal to, or equal to, Kobe those two years.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Voices wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Voices wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

Gasol was not merely a supporting character on those two championships. He was either very very very nearly equal to, or equal to, Kobe those two years.

Perkins did not play in game seven, and the Lakers barely won. There is no question Perkins being injured was a factor. Did the Lakers luck out, it's part of then game, good thing MWP, Fisher, LO and Kobe showed up, Gasol was just a supporting player no matter how you slice it, MWP was huge so was Fish, Kobe and LO. I would never compare Pau Gasol contribution close to Kobe's who proved before Gasol got here that he is one of the all time greats. Gasol is not close to being an all time great.
Janggoon8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Voices wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Voices wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

Gasol was not equal to Kobe's value on the team during our championship run. He was nearly equal during our seven game series against the Celtics in 2010, but I'm sure it was to make up for his poor showing during our 2008 beat down.
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
I would never compare Pau Gasol contribution close to Kobe's who proved before Gasol got here that he is one of the all time greats. Gasol is not close to being an all time great.

No he's not on the level of Kobe career wise, but he'll be inducted into the HOF and thus can be considered an all time great.

Voices wrote:
Perkins did not play in game seven, and the Lakers barely won. There is no question Perkins being injured was a factor. Did the Lakers luck out, it's part of then game, good thing MWP, Fisher, LO and Kobe showed up, Gasol was just a supporting player no matter how you slice it, MWP was huge so was Fish, Kobe and LO.

There were exactly 3 irreplaceable players on those title teams that made the engine go. Kobe, Pau, and Odom, and maybe Fish for his leadership and cohesion with Kobe. The rest were supporting players and easily replaceable. It's ludicrous to consider Pau as "just a supporting player" on those title teams.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

I don't think he was dogging it at all. I think he struggled and the hate just snowballed and he never fully recovered because he's sensitive about things like that. The effort was there, he just never seemed comfortable.

I've watched him with the Bulls and I see the same Pau, he is just featured more in their offense and getting a lot more shots. The overall numbers suggest he is playing some of his best ball ever but he's far from it. He is taking 4 more shots than he did in his peak Lakers time and scoring only one more point. He gets outmuscled inside pretty regularly. The Bulls just utilize him more.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Voices wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Voices wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

Perkins did not play in game seven, and the Lakers barely won. There is no question Perkins being injured was a factor. Did the Lakers luck out, it's part of then game, good thing MWP, Fisher, LO and Kobe showed up, Gasol was just a supporting player no matter how you slice it, MWP was huge so was Fish, Kobe and LO. I would never compare Pau Gasol contribution close to Kobe's who proved before Gasol got here that he is one of the all time greats. Gasol is not close to being an all time great.

And you should never put MWP, Fisher or LO's contribution on the same level as Pau's. (bleep) ridiculous.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 13 of 28
Jump to: