Gasol the Bull (and the Laker, the Spur, and the Grizzly)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
He also had a 13 and 6 game two night earlier against Utah and 13 points in a loss to Washington. His inconsistency was one of the most frustrating thing about his laker tenure the last couple of years. And their defense is worse.

Heading into Wednesday night's game against Brooklyn, Chicago was allowing 100.5 points per game, tied for 19th in the league. The Bulls allowed an NBA-low 91.8 points last season and 92.9 points for the 2012-13 season, which ranked third.
Chicago allowed more than 100 points 10 times in its first 20 games. It allowed opponents to reach triple digits 16 times last season.

"It's just new guys. That's all it is," Gibson said. "Most of the guys are coming from teams that are not really like the defensive-minded team first. You know what I'm saying? So of course it's going to happen.

What new guys?

Their defense is worst, but their offense is better.

Last season they ranked 2nd in defense and 29th in offense. Now they're 11 and 11.

That great defense/poor defense/slow pace approach over the few years hasn't really brought much success (bounced in the first round twice.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Wow, what a dunk on Pau. Can't really fault him, though. At least he was trying to block it.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
He also had a 13 and 6 game two night earlier against Utah and 13 points in a loss to Washington. His inconsistency was one of the most frustrating thing about his laker tenure the last couple of years. And their defense is worse.

Heading into Wednesday night's game against Brooklyn, Chicago was allowing 100.5 points per game, tied for 19th in the league. The Bulls allowed an NBA-low 91.8 points last season and 92.9 points for the 2012-13 season, which ranked third.
Chicago allowed more than 100 points 10 times in its first 20 games. It allowed opponents to reach triple digits 16 times last season.

"It's just new guys. That's all it is," Gibson said. "Most of the guys are coming from teams that are not really like the defensive-minded team first. You know what I'm saying? So of course it's going to happen.

What new guys?

Their defense is worst, but their offense is better.

Last season they ranked 2nd in defense and 29th in offense. Now they're 11 and 11.

That great defense/poor defense/slow pace approach over the few years hasn't really brought much success (bounced in the first round twice.

Gasol's O-Rating/D-Rating differential is one of the best on the team. His D-Rating alone is one of the best on the team. He's not hurting them defensively. At the very least, not more than he's helping them offensively. Best free agent acquisition of 2014, based on player/team compatibility.
chickensandwich
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Wow, what a dunk on Pau. Can't really fault him, though. At least he was trying to block it.

i hate when guys run away from a dunk to avoid getting posterized.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Wow. Someone mentioned in another thread Pau is averaging more points, rebounds, and blocks than he ever did as a Laker.
I always hated when Laker fans said he was old and washed up.

Check the Stats
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:45 am    Post subject:

Well, lets see how Pau does without Noah next to him. If Noah is injured from that ankle roll and is out for an extended period, the Bulls will see just how much of a defender Pau is NOT. Not bashing on him, he was one of my fav Lakers and I am glad he is doing great. I just get tired of the media saying how the Lakers must be kicking themselves for letting him go.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject:

He has played without Noah before.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
Well, lets see how Pau does without Noah next to him. If Noah is injured from that ankle roll and is out for an extended period, the Bulls will see just how much of a defender Pau is NOT. Not bashing on him, he was one of my fav Lakers and I am glad he is doing great. I just get tired of the media saying how the Lakers must be kicking themselves for letting him go.

Yup. This really gets annoying because it's not true. The Lakers wanted to re-sign him. They offered more money and a no trade clause. Pau just wanted a better situation
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
He has played without Noah before.

True. The Portland game was a pretty good barometer of that.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:

You do realize that Noah is averaging career lows in some categories this season right? He hasn't been the same since his knee surgery.

Pau Gasol is nice
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject:

20/11/2 for Pau tonight.

Pau Gasol is nice
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A0v6YxwVhU

Sums up why I'd be concerned with Pau pulling a 2010 in the playoffs, especially with Thib's minutes management.
lenouveau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:

Sums up why I'd be concerned with Pau pulling a 2010 in the playoffs, especially with Thib's minutes management.

I think in 2010 Pau did quite well ...

You should also see Bulls defense is at its worst with Noah and Taj ...

If there is a problem with the Bulls is certainly not Pau.

Horford is difficult for everybody, but at least Pau was also killing him at the other end. That is something Noah would never be able to do.

When a team shoots and moves the ball well, perimeter and team defense is more important than individuals.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject:

lenouveau wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

I think in 2010 Pau did quite well ...

You should also see Bulls defense is at its worst with Noah and Taj ...

If there is a problem with the Bulls is certainly not Pau.

Horford is difficult for everybody, but at least Pau was also killing him at the other end. That is something Noah would never be able to do.

When a team shoots and moves the ball well, perimeter and team defense is more important than individuals.

I think he meant 2011 when Phil had to slap Pau in the chest to wake him up.

In any event, it's convenient to blame the defense on Pau but among both hard core Chicago fans and the local beat writers who watch every one of their games have pointed out that Noah has beyond lost a step due to injury and isnt' 100% yet. He's the lynch pin of that defense and not having him as the PnR stuffing, rim protecting, energizer bunny on that end is huge.
vedanta
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject:

https://vine.co/v/OjLbVqzKDaK/embed/simple
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject:

vedanta wrote:
https://vine.co/v/OjLbVqzKDaK/embed/simple

Lebron
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject:

DPOY

!...
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:

Yup. This really gets annoying because it's not true. The Lakers wanted to re-sign him. They offered more money and a no trade clause. Pau just wanted a better situation

You're wrong. It's true. They could have given him $15+M and a no trade clause instead of $10M, which is what Hill gets. Insulting to have Hill be paid the same as a Gasol.

So even though it was higher than what other people offered him, it was still insulting in addition to all the insults he's had to endure from management and the lame ass c(r)oaches that we've had.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
22 wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:

You're wrong. It's true. They could have given him $15+M and a no trade clause instead of $10M, which is what Hill gets. Insulting to have Hill be paid the same as a Gasol.

So even though it was higher than what other people offered him, it was still insulting in addition to all the insults he's had to endure from management and the lame ass c(r)oaches that we've had.

?? Hill wouldn't have gotten that if Pau re-signed. So it's not enough that the lakers offered him more than everyone else they also should have outbid themselves? Makes no sense.

Nowhere in any of Pau's comments this year do I hear Pau saying he was insulted by the Lakers offer. Seems like it's all in your head.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Going from $20M a year to $10M a year isn't an insult? He might have been down, but you don't treat someone you want to keep by giving him a pay cut, especially the way you treated him.

Yes, he took less, but it wasn't that much less. Now, a $10M difference in pay, he'd definitely think about it. Why didn't the Lakers even _try_ to give him a higher pay than that? You might say, "but we're going to Luke Walton ourselves". No, Luke had nowhere the skills Pau does he's a big with a lot of skill. They can play a lot longer than smalls, and their skills keep them around for a lot longer.

Sorry, but the Lakers knew they were rebuilding. You don't just pay somewhere near market value to keep someone that you want to keep. You want to pay him much more than market to deal with the misery that is this season.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
Going from $20M a year to $10M a year isn't an insult? He might have been down, but you don't treat someone you want to keep by giving him a pay cut, especially the way you treated him.

Yes, he took less, but it wasn't that much less. Now, a $10M difference in pay, he'd definitely think about it. Why didn't the Lakers even _try_ to give him a higher pay than that? You might say, "but we're going to Luke Walton ourselves". No, Luke had nowhere the skills Pau does he's a big with a lot of skill. They can play a lot longer than smalls, and their skills keep them around for a lot longer.

Sorry, but the Lakers knew they were rebuilding. You don't just pay somewhere near market value to keep someone that you want to keep. You want to pay him much more than market to deal with the misery that is this season.

well he went from $20M to $7M so I guess it wasn't that much of an insult. It's not the Lakers fault his value had dropped that much. From his comments, I take it as he had no problems returning to LA. Chicago just had the better team and the better odds (they're in the East) to make another run at a ring. No fault of either side. It was just a better situation.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Chris Sheridan is intimating that Pau & Thibodeau aren't on the same page, Thibodeau's job may be in jeopardy.

Chris Sheridan ‏@sheridanhoops 13m13 minutes ago
Two words missing from @NickFriedell column on how Thibodeau "hasn't lost team." Those words are "Pau" and "Gasol"

Chris Sheridan ‏@sheridanhoops 11m11 minutes ago
I do not throw out sourced info lightly. My longtime followers know that. Thibodeau is in trouble, #Bulls fans.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Chris Sheridan is intimating that Pau & Thibodeau aren't on the same page, Thibodeau's job may be in jeopardy.

Two words missing from @NickFriedell column on how Thibodeau "hasn't lost team." Those words are "Pau" and "Gasol"

I do not throw out sourced info lightly. My longtime followers know that. Thibodeau is in trouble, #Bulls fans.

Interesting! I wonder what their beef is? I thought they were getting along great
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Interesting! I wonder what their beef is? I thought they were getting along great

Probably has something to do with the Gasol/Noah lineups. It's a problem for Chicago.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

How odd that Pau's career could wind down with him "not on the same page" as his coach multiple times on two different teams?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 21 of 28
Jump to: