Top 2015 prospect (Emmanuel Mudiay) to skip college, play overseas (Pg. 2: Signs $1.2M deal to play in China next year)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Top 2015 prospect (Emmanuel Mudiay) to skip college, play overseas (Pg. 2: Signs $1.2M deal to play in China next year)

LINK

Considered a top three pick next year. Going for the money, to provide a little for his family now.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject:

Good for him. No real point in going to college if he doesn't intend to finish school. It would just make him play for free and risk injury.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject:

What's the rookie scale? Any way to get around it? Like signing at an older age or something? Ssems like a prospect could get offered more than $5million and decide to stay overseas more than one year.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
What's the rookie scale? Any way to get around it? Like signing at an older age or something? Ssems like a prospect could get offered more than $5million and decide to stay overseas more than one year.

No way around it. You cannot sign an NBA contract unless you've been eligible for at least one draft. And if someone drafts him, they own his rights, and the normal rookie scale applies.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Good for him. No real point in going to college if he doesn't intend to finish school. It would just make him play for free and risk injury.

I agree, but the main thing to me would be playing time to develop. If he lands with a good pro team over there, he'll learn a lot just by being part of the system, practices, and being a pro, but he may not get a whole lot of incredibly valuable playing time.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject:

He was thought by many to be the #1 pick in contention with Jahill Okafor. I respect his decision to provide for his family and I am interested to see how fall he falls. I doubt it would be to our Rocket's pick.
Romano338
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject:

China would be a risk. Improvement and showing yourself to NBA franchises is limited
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Romano338 wrote:
China would be a risk. Improvement and showing yourself to NBA franchises is limited

Better off going to Euroleague. I believe NBA TV has rights to those games so you would be able to put yourself out in front of NBA GM's even if he is playing overseas.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Brandon Jennings did same, he was still drafted 10th. This kid looks like he's better than Jennings at that age. I'll be suprised if he fell more than a few places. I mean it only helped Exum, not hurt him.

I don't know why more kids aren't doing this. You have a chance to earn millions abroad. Go do it. There's no guarantee you won't get hurt and never make millions after a year of college. And once you're done, you can always go study in College.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Brandon Jennings did same, he was still drafted 10th. This kid looks like he's better than Jennings at that age. I'll be suprised if he fell more than a few places. I mean it only helped Exum, not hurt him.

I don't know why more kids aren't doing this. You have a chance to earn millions abroad. Go do it. There's no guarantee you won't get hurt and never make millions after a year of college. And once you're done, you can always go study in College.

I think it has a lot to do with the social norms here. College is considered an important part of a young person's life. Yeah, it's only for a year, but they still get to experience that environment.

International hoops is a completely different environment.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject:

Bypassing the hypocrisy of the NCAA isn't a bad thing, I just hope it helps rather than hinders his development. A year with Larry Brown might have really helped him.

It did hurt Brandon Jennings, at least in terms of his projected draft position, and from what little I recall Jennings did not see that much playing time.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject:

Hmmm, well its not even about just playing college ball, its about getting an education. Going to play ball overseas to provide for your family is all good, but you are an injury away from being a "has been" or "wanna be". These kids need education, basketball is all good but if you get injured what's your fall back plan?
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
Hmmm, well its not even about just playing college ball, its about getting an education. Going to play ball overseas to provide for your family is all good, but you are an injury away from being a "has been" or "wanna be". These kids need education, basketball is all good but if you get injured what's your fall back plan?

As a professional athlete, you're going to get a better education playing as a professional athlete than as an amateur athlete doing 1 year of college.

I did my undergrad in a country that does degrees in 3 years rather than 4, and I barely learned (bleep) in the first year compared to the next 2 (and then the post grad squeezed in 4 times that last year, i wanted my masters before 22), i didn't want to imagine how useless 1 year stringing the whole thing out to 4 would be.

Even from an economic point of view, the amount he makes in 1 year playing professionally would still allow him to pay for his entire education in case of accident and have millions left over, heck i did one of the hardest and most lucrative degrees there is (rather than like communication, arts or some crap) and i still wouldn't have done it if i had that kid's talent.

Last edited by Telleris on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
Hmmm, well its not even about just playing college ball, its about getting an education.
What education? Top prospects don't even finish college here.

Quote:
Going to play ball overseas to provide for your family is all good, but you are an injury away from being a "has been" or "wanna be". These kids need education, basketball is all good but if you get injured what's your fall back plan?

Even if you get injured, you'll likely have earned more than enough to pay for 4 yrs of college education+ more.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject:

Kid's gotta do what he has to do. If the family needed the $, how can anyone criticize him?

Yes, there are certain perils to going this route, but good luck to him.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Jeremy Tyler was one of the top prospects in the country, and was committed to Louisville when he left to play in Israel. He ended up playing very poorly and was a 2nd rounder when he entered the draft.

Hopefully it ends up better for Mudiay, he looks very impressive from what I've seen of him. And you can't blame him for wanting to provide for his family.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:

Well that's the myth perpetuated by the NCAA, but many (perhaps most) of these kids never make it to graduation. They get injured and lose their scholarship, lose interest in their studies and leave, play through all their eligibility before graduation and cannot get the financing to finish, etc. And that isn't counting the number of kids who remain semi-literate even after being handed a gift diploma at graduation.

There is no minor league of basketball players. They might as well go overseas and enrich themselves rather than their institutions. It is time to drop the pretense of the student athlete, as least as it is currently defined. Gifted pro-grade athletes need to enter a program that pays them, and students who just happen to play sports on an amateur level should reclaim team sports at the collegiate level.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject:

He has the tools, but he's not the most elite PG I've seen in the past decade.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:
Hmmm, well its not even about just playing college ball, its about getting an education.

Quote:
Going to play ball overseas to provide for your family is all good, but you are an injury away from being a "has been" or "wanna be". These kids need education, basketball is all good but if you get injured what's your fall back plan?

Even if you get injured, you'll likely have earned more than enough to pay for 4 yrs of college education+ more.

And you can just as well get injured playing for a D-1 team here.

At least playing abroad, he gets paid and doesn't have to maintain the facade of being a student.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:

Quote:

At least playing abroad, he gets paid and doesn't have to maintain the facade of being a student.

So we are actually advocating these young men not getting an education at all? Not everyone can be Kobe. Kobe didnt got to college but he is more educated than most of the NBA players who did. My thing is these young kids are skipping school to get the big money, but where is the fall back plan? Is being a great BB player the only thing they want to be known for? No education?
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:

Quote:

So we are actually advocating these young men not getting an education at all? Not everyone can be Kobe. Kobe didnt got to college but he is more educated than most of the NBA players who did. My thing is these young kids are skipping school to get the big money, but where is the fall back plan? Is being a great BB player the only thing they want to be known for? No education?

What education? One yr of college? College isn't the only way to get education. Life experience and seeing the world is also education.

What if they get a knee injury that they never fully recover from? Will they look back and say, "Well, I may be broke, but at least I went to college for a yr."

That one yr of "education" isn't going to do much.

If they go overseas and get a contract, but they fail they will have earned enough to go to college anyway.
improper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Didn't Brandon Jennings do it because he was too dumb to get into college?
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject:

College is overrated.

Look at all the European soccer stars. They're doing just fine. The "gotta go to college" thing is just marketing by NCAA. They're not getting any education at college, let's be real. Even a non-athlete barely gets any education in college. Yeah, class with 500 other people. Awesome education.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
He has the tools, but he's not the most elite PG I've seen in the past decade.

Does he even really need to be a PG being 6'4-5?
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:

Quote:

Education is great and all, but when these kids are going one and done, they aren't getting any.

It's not like the kids that do that one year, hire an agent and wash out are in a situation that is any different than this kid would be in if he did the same. Actually, if the kid is smart with his money, he might have enough to put himself through college anyways.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: